Breakfast: my nemesis

Guest Elise

Hey,

I hate breakfast! I never used to eat it when I slept in later, but now that I am up by 6am, I need some food to tide me over till lunch. I know that it is important on the Whole30 to eat three meals a day, but I do not know what to have. Eggs make me feel sick, so I try to stay away from them, but all the recipes that I have found have eggs. Today I had half a banana and a kiwi, but I read that I shouldn't eat fruit as a meal. Any thoughts?

You definitely need some protein and fat for breakfast. I usually have eggs, but I always have a lot of veggies (as I do every meal!). What I normally do is either steam or sautee a bunch of veggies with coconut oil and then I fry my eggs and put them on top. You could get some ground meat (beef, pork, chicken, turkey) and cook it all up ahead of time and then mix it in with veggies. I like to mix it up, so sometimes It will be peppers, onions & mushrooms with chili powder or this morning I had carrots, cauliflower & cabbage steamed with coconut oil on top.

There are also a variety of compliant sausages you can find at whole foods or even wholesale warehouses like costco, BJs and Sam's club. You can also make your own sausage! Just get some ground meat and find a recipe for sausage seasoning. Put a couple of teaspoons of the seasoning in the meat and mix it all up. Then you can make patties or just brown it like you would regular ground meat.

Hope this helps!

I normally drink a protein shake for breakfast every day and protein powder is not compliant, so this morning I had to actually eat breakfast! But, I thought ahead since I don't have a lot of time in the mornings and made a frittata last night using up leftover sauteed spinach I had made with dinner. I had a slice of that along with a chicken and apple sausage - they are compliant-I bought them at whole foods yesterday. I was afraid I would be hungry mid morning but it actually held me until lunch time, at which point I ate a salad with canned tuna and sliced almonds with a drizzle of evoo and balsamic.

When I've been on whole 30's I've done the eggs, greens, and sweet potato thing but it's not what I prefer for the morning. On my own bike, I normally have a ton of fruit and some kind of nut butter with black coffee and it really works for me. Try adding some sun butter or almond butter to your banana and kiwi and see if you like it.

Elise, I quite often have Salmon cakes with some avocado and baby spinach. I make the spinach cakes up in a batch and then just have them on hand for breakfast. An alternative is sausages with avocado and a bit of tomato.

I am on day three, and have been experimenting with organic chicken sausage (no additives). I have done mixed veggies with them the past two mornings, and today, did apples, sausage, sweet potatoes with cinamin and nutmeg. I am not an egg person at all, so I will keep experimenting :)

To keep it simple in my house, I prefer to cook one breakfast for everyone. Unfortunately, my kids don't want eggs most mornings. I have found that sauteing a diced apple with some cinnamon and nutmeg until soft and adding already cooked ground turkey is a big hit. Super fast and easy - Tasty too!

Another option is dinner for breakfast - Just have leftovers. Protein, veggies, fat. (Just like Renee Lee said).

I'm on day 6 and so far only one breakfast has had eggs. The others have been

chicken breast, I'd cooked the night before with cucumber sticks, lettuce leaves and homemande mayo.

Chicken, ham. onions, peppers, musrooms and green beans with mayo

lettuce wraps, 3 lettuce leaves each with a slice of roast beef, green beans and mayo

2 Toulouse sausages with mushrooms, tomato and spinach

Organic bacon chopped and fried with mushrooms tomatoes and green beans.

these must be about the first breakfasts I've eaten all my adult life. I have NEVER been a breakfast eater but I'm finding it does make a difference.

Archived