Hot Yoga and pre-wo and post-wo meals?

kathyzadak

Pre & PostWO meals are something you can play around with depending on the intensity of your WO. If your session is early and the first food you eat will be within an hour of wakening I'd say you could forgo the preWO, or if you're still full from meal two or three. See how you go with postWO - I know on the days I train heavy I'm ravenous and really need that extra meal. It could be that you do too.

context matters. Some people can just add a yoga session into their day, no problem, no extra food needed. But if the yoga is particularly depleting for your body, adding post-workout can be a really good idea.

Try it and see how you go.

• Moderators

Adding my two cents... Back when I did hot yoga, I did not eat pre- or post-workout meals and was fine. Certainly 90 minutes of a BIkram class is significant work, but it never hit me like lifting weights. I get ferociously hungry after lifting weights, but not after hot yoga. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a hot yoga teacher and am currently on my second whole30. I'm by no means an expert and you should always listen to your own body first, but hot yoga (especially bikram) is a tough workout involving strong isometric contractions of the muscles which builds strength as much as flexibility and you really need to eat post class to support that. If you're new to eating this way (whole30) you might not always feel hungry when your body needs to eat so to get the most out of your practice I would recommend you (as I do to all my students) to eat as soon as possible after class. It doesn't need to be something huge, but a balance of protein, fats and carbs as per the whole30 pwo guidelines.

Here are some things I eat post practice (and which you can take with you!)

- sliced apple wrapped in prosciutto

- banana and cashew nuts

- 2 boiled eggs and 2 handfuls of spinach

- blueberries dipped in cashew butter

- leftovers!

Enjoy your practice! And don't forget your water!

Hi, I'm a hot yoga teacher and am currently on my second whole30. I'm by no means an expert and you should always listen to your own body first, but hot yoga (especially bikram) is a tough workout involving strong isometric contractions of the muscles which builds strength as much as flexibility and you really need to eat post class to support that. If you're new to eating this way (whole30) you might not always feel hungry when your body needs to eat so to get the most out of your practice I would recommend you (as I do to all my students) to eat as soon as possible after class. It doesn't need to be something huge, but a balance of protein, fats and carbs as per the whole30 pwo guidelines.

Here are some things I eat post practice (and which you can take with you!)

- sliced apple wrapped in prosciutto

- banana and cashew nuts

- 2 boiled eggs and 2 handfuls of spinach

- blueberries dipped in cashew butter

- leftovers!

Enjoy your practice! And don't forget your water!

The Whole30 recommendation for postWO is actually for protein & starchy carbs, not fruit or fats, so maybe something like tuna in spring water & some carrots, or roast chicken & some sweet potato would work better here.

Very good point. I should have said that I usually treat my pwo snack as a mini meal so do include fats. I have very low body fat and find I need to replenish with fat after working out but this probably isn't true for most other people.

If I didn't want fats I'd probably eat tuna or chicken with sweet potatoes and some broccoli or green beans.

I have very low body fat and find I need to replenish with fat after working out but this probably isn't true for most other people.

The reason to not have fat post-workout is because fat slows digestion and you want the nutrients to get to your muscles ASAP. Being a person with low body fat does not change this recommendation. you can do whatever works for you, obviously, but if you want to follow the whole30 recommendations it would be better to avoid fat post-workout and add more fat to other meals.

That's also I very good point last time I did a whole 30 I lost too much fat even though I followed all the recommendations about adding extra to meals so since then and this time round I've added fat to my pwo snack too.

So, OP, ignore my specific snack suggestions but do eat! As per the recs, not me!

Hi, I'm a hot yoga teacher 

Hi there, if you ever have some time I'd love some guidelines as to easing into hot yoga.  I've tried a class a couple of times and I found the heat really tough to take.

I currently do light yoga at home a few times a week and walk or bike other days.  On my 2nd W30.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

• Moderators

I am not a yoga teacher, but I've done a lot of Bikram yoga.

Make sure you are sufficiently hydrated (throughout the day, not just chugging water before class).

Eat a small amount of protein and/or fat about 40 minutes before class. Just a little.

Be prepared to take it REALLY easy. You don't have to do everything everyone else is doing, especially when you are starting.

Be ok with sitting out a pose, and just standing or sitting until you are ready to continue. There is no shame in this.

Bring lean protein and some starchy veg to replenish afterward.

Any more specific food recommendations other than the "tuna in spring water & some carrots, or roast chicken & some sweet potato would work better here" (or maybe there is a list somewhere already...) I was hoping to find some ideas for items I could eat while driving home and not have to sit in the parking lot eating my food. thanks!

Any more specific food recommendations other than the "tuna in spring water & some carrots, or roast chicken & some sweet potato would work better here" (or maybe there is a list somewhere already...) I was hoping to find some ideas for items I could eat while driving home and not have to sit in the parking lot eating my food. thanks!

Sometimes the whole30 recommendations require a change in mindset. Sit down and notice the food you are eating, give yourself time to chew and swallow. There may not be a good option that can be consumed while driving, so rather than try to find one, think about ways you can adapt. Is there a bench outside the gym? This might be a good chance to get 2 minutes of sun (vitamin D) exposure and take a breath before rushing onto the rest of your day.

Sometimes the whole30 recommendations require a change in mindset. Sit down and notice the food you are eating, give yourself time to chew and swallow. There may not be a good option that can be consumed while driving, so rather than try to find one, think about ways you can adapt. Is there a bench outside the gym? This might be a good chance to get 2 minutes of sun (vitamin D) exposure and take a breath before rushing onto the rest of your day.

Thanks for comments, I actually thought about this yesterday...I usually eat at my desk while working. Yesterday (day 2) I still sat at my desk but turned my back to my computer and thought about the food. I leave my roller derby practice at 9pm so that's why I wanted to eat in the car. But I found a good post-work out snack and I can either eat there or in the car...it's only a few nights a week. Last night I ate while waiting to talk to someone, and savored it! Appreciate the advice :) 

Archived