Staring today June 25th 2015

OanaBro

I have been getting ready for this day for 2 weeks. I am going to do this health plan with my husband. I have never done anything similar and I am very curious if I will have the willpower to do this for 30 days!  I haven't "dieted" before, it's not for me. What I need is a lifestyle change and the Whole30 might enable this. I have 2 little girls and I want to have the energy to play with them and do all the things I want to do. 

I need all the support I can get so please help :) .

Thank you,

Oana

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I started today, too! So far so good.  They were really right about preparation, boy did i spend a whole lot of time in the grocery store yesterday.  What I found so interesting was that the experience was fundamentally different. Reading every label took forever, thank goodness i brought the Whole30 book with me!  So many of the hidden no-no's were in foods I like. Already I'm learning new things. Good luck! Kelli

That makes 3 of us starting today!  This is my 2nd whole 30 and I am really excited!!  I am 58 and have had weight issues all my life.  2 1/2 years ago, my doc recommended the W30.  I was on BP medication and really wanted to be off it.  Never even wanted to lose weight.  I thought that ship had sailed.  I did it in November of 2012.  Slept better, acid reflux disappeared, my cholesterol went down 85 points, and I lost 10#!!  My bp improved and in June of 2013, I stopped taking my bp meds!!!  From November to the following April I lost a total of 23#!!  This next part may not seem exciting to some but it really does thrill me and is part of the reason I'm doing another W30.  I have never kept lost weight off for more than a year.  I've always gained it back PLUS!!!  I've kept off 13 pounds and really don't want the other 10 to follow.  I want a reset and know this is the only way to do it!!!  My doc's receptionist said this program would change my life and it really has!!!  Here is what my day looked like and the links to some recipes I used:  (I think everything is compliant.  Please correct me if not!)

Meal 1: 2 HB eggs, sauerkraut, apple, ghee
Meal 2: Medley of fresh vegies (orange pepper, cucumber, garlic stuffed olives, onion, cherry tomatoes, avocado), cut up and put in the bottom of a ziploc container, topped with drizzled olive oil and balsamic vinegar, topped with 1 can of sort of drained tuna.  I buy Tonno tuna packed in olive oil. 
Sweet potato fries: (I sprinkle my fries with s,p, garlic powder)
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/6172268400/oven-baked-sweet-potato-fries

The kale salad was FABULOUS!!!

Good luck to both of you!  You won't regret this decision!  Oh, and if you have a hard time explaining what you're doing, just use the wanting to get healthy reason instead of losing weight.  No one gave me a hard time when I told them I was trying to get my bp in check.

Take Care!

Syd

I did my first whole 30 in march and never felt better, had tons of energy, got stronger, leaner and more toned, slept so soundly, had great skin, and I could go on for days about why I should have continued it for another month! But then it was easter weekend, and my family got toget her for a huge amazingly delicious feast and it was like a total derailment for me. I've been trying on my own this month to recommit and do another whole 30, but I keep falling off track and having trouble sticking to it. I need someone to keep me in check this time around! I know you all started today, but tomorrow is my day one...and this time I feel ready to be serious! I hope we can all be a positive and encouraging influence for each other! :)

This is exciting!  The one and only thing that had me a little bummed was trying to fit in on other threads where the dates were a bit off from mine and the folks were just saying "I'm in!" over and over.

So hello! And yes, day two! This is my first Whole 30. I mentor people looking to make a big shift, and wanting to change their work and have a better lifestyle. One of my clients recommended this and viola here I am.  I think what is helping me right now is that I started getting healthier about two months ago, walking 4 miles a day, swimming and yoga, on and off. That's made a huge difference in how I feel. I also got a cold about the same time, and it was one of the ones that lingered.  Couple that with a frog in my throat after having cheese, and I began to wonder if I had some allergies or inflammation.  This program seems like the perfect antidote. I love being an online accountability buddy, so hoping to hear from you all.  Kelli

Meal roundup day 2:

b: two scrambled eggs in coconut oil,

l:  grilled chicken and salsa, blueberries

d:  grilled chicken, tapenade olives

• Administrators

Meal roundup day 2:

b: two scrambled eggs in coconut oil,

l:  grilled chicken and salsa, blueberries

d:  grilled chicken, tapenade olives

Hey Kelli,

I just wanted to pop over and congratulate you on your start!  Also wanted to point out that although you may not notice it yet, only 2 days in, you are not eating nearly enough food.  That will start to manifest as anything from nausea to anxiety, depression, exhaustion, inability to sleep etc if you continue on.

Have you checked out the meal template? In summary and starting within an hour of waking:

1-2 palms of protein (or as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand without dropping...for most people that is at least 3-4)

1-3 cups veggies 

1-2 thumbs fat (or half to whole avocado or heaping handfuls of olives)

Your meal posted above are all lacking in veggies and your breakfast is missing about half the protein it should have.  Fruits should never push veggies off your plate.

Review the template and then eat up!  :)

Oh my gosh, LadyShanny, thank you!  I was just reading the "what's a serving of eggs" thread and what an eye-opener. ....when I shift out of my sugar and dairy and bread love-affair, I can eat more.  Who knew?  (Well, I guess y'all did, and now I do too!)

Veggies will be a challenge...I grew up hating veg because it was never fresh, always overcooked, and just looked nasty. Retraining is progressing. Sweet potatoes, asparagus, peppers, cukes, onions, I can do.  The rest, completely unexplored territory, might as well be on Mars for all I've ever stepped foot in the produce section!  You should see me in the grocery store. I'm actually intimidated..... "ah, chard, is that with a c or an s?" Good news I did go on Day 0, and nothing bad happened to me!  (You think I'm kidding..) Tomorrow, tailgate market.   :)  

Why is it called produce in the first place? Why not a sexier name? If it's supposed to take up that much real estate on my plate, I'd like to call it something more..alluring!  :D

Thanks again, and please do keep the suggestions coming, it's still just dawning on me that I'm retraining how I think about and eat food. I do need the encouragement. Be well, Kelli

I was about to ask the same vegie question of Gracie 35!  I love all the vegies we get to have in a variety of ways! 

Day 2 for me was:

Meal 1:

Mock BLT (3 slices compliant Bacon,  vegies (onion, tomatoe, avocado, cuke) and MAYO on 2 large lettuce leaves topped with 2 over easy eggs.  It was an amazing breakfast.

Meal 2:

Left over meatballs and sweet potatoe fries with you guessed it, MAYO

Meal 3:

Kind of boring as it's leftover meatballs again, leftover kale salad and roasted cauliflower. (not leftover)

I really like leftovers as I don't have to cook so much!!

So happy the others on this thread have found this lifestyle!  Remember it's only for 30 days and it will change your life.  I promise!!!

I'm also doing the 30 day plank challenge if anyone is interested as part of my exercise plan.

Happy Day 2 to everyone!

• Administrators

Oh my gosh, LadyShanny, thank you!  I was just reading the "what's a serving of eggs" thread and what an eye-opener. ....when I shift out of my sugar and dairy and bread love-affair, I can eat more.  Who knew?  (Well, I guess y'all did, and now I do too!)

Veggies will be a challenge...I grew up hating veg because it was never fresh, always overcooked, and just looked nasty. Retraining is progressing. Sweet potatoes, asparagus, peppers, cukes, onions, I can do.  The rest, completely unexplored territory, might as well be on Mars for all I've ever stepped foot in the produce section!  You should see me in the grocery store. I'm actually intimidated..... "ah, chard, is that with a c or an s?" Good news I did go on Day 0, and nothing bad happened to me!  (You think I'm kidding..) Tomorrow, tailgate market.   :)  

Why is it called produce in the first place? Why not a sexier name? If it's supposed to take up that much real estate on my plate, I'd like to call it something more..alluring!  :D

Thanks again, and please do keep the suggestions coming, it's still just dawning on me that I'm retraining how I think about and eat food. I do need the encouragement. Be well, Kelli

LOL, how about calling it Sexy Micronutrients of Deliciousness? Hmm...that might be a bit too long.  Also, good thing you don't have to spell the veggies in order to eat them!  ;)  There are litterally a billion recipes out there to try.  Pick something up that interests you (like fennel for instance) and then google how to cook it.  For my example of fennel: thinly sliced fennel, thinly sliced sweet onion, thinly sliced granny smith apple and some fresh thyme with salt and pepper in some fat in a frying pan is other worldly!

My other recommendation on veggie love is that you should roast them. Pick up anything you want to lay eyes on and roast it.  Toss in fat and S&P and put it in a pan on high heat for about 30 minutes.  The veggies caramelize and are amazing!  My favourite combo is baby potato, carrot, sweet onion, snow peas and peppers.  YUM!  (Tip: don't crowd them, single layer to avoid steaming and limit your "wet" veggies to firm veggie ratio again to avoid sog).

Wish there was a LOVE button, instead of just LIKE.  Wonderful reply, and from now on produce just became SMD's, I'll laugh every time I say it. Sexy micronutrients of deliciousness!  Thank you for these suggestions, I do like fennel btw, just don't know how to cook it. Now I do! This rocks.  I'll report back tomorrow..

Have a wonderful night, Kelli

Ok, day 3, woke up famished, and go busy making a better breakfast...up to three eggs, and a whole avocado, and feeling great! Full. Headed to farmers market for more veg, aka, Sexy Micronutrients of Deliciousness! 

Hello All! It has been great to read your posts and know that others are on the same track. I started on June 25th as well, and am flying solo. I've been active all my life and interested in nutrition and sustainability, but I recently fell off the wagon for a time and am trying to reinstill healthy habits. Today, I am planning to put some pork shoulder in the slow cooker for tonight and leftovers! I've been eating eggs, sautéed veggies, and a carrot or two for breakfast, salads and smoked salmon or chicken and veggies for lunch, and the same plus a sweet potato or squash for dinner. For a snack I will have banana and almond butter or a couple pieces of fruit, both during the day and after dinner.

I have one question. Do you all feel like you are at risk of feeding your sugar cravings with fruit? I love fruit, and sometimes I can't help but have 6 or 7 pieces or servings (apples, bananas, apricots, plums, nectarines, berries and cherries) per day. Will this inhibit my body from using fat as fuel rather than sugar? Also, I am thinking of eliminating nut butters as well because I can't stop eating 5 or 6 tbsp of those per day either.

Excited to see where this experiment will take me!

Hi AlleyK, I hope LadyShanny replies, because she has a lot of information.  I did read under the forum title, something like ...I'm not losing weight... that someone had a lot of fruit nuts and nut butters, and they didn't lose the weight they wanted to...the recommendation was to cut back some on these...at least that's what i took from it.  

Great menu, btw!  Happy Saturday, Kelli

• Administrators

I have one question. Do you all feel like you are at risk of feeding your sugar cravings with fruit? I love fruit, and sometimes I can't help but have 6 or 7 pieces or servings (apples, bananas, apricots, plums, nectarines, berries and cherries) per day. Will this inhibit my body from using fat as fuel rather than sugar? Also, I am thinking of eliminating nut butters as well because I can't stop eating 5 or 6 tbsp of those per day either.

Excited to see where this experiment will take me!

Hey Alley, besides losing weight (which, remember, is not what the Whole30 is about), eating that much fruit in a day is going to continue to keep your blood sugar levels from regulating. Erratic blood sugar leads to late day cravings and false hunger. If you have a sugar dragon that needs conquering (and it sounds like you do), the only thing to do is starve it. Do not give it fruit when it wants soemthing sweet, it doesn't know the difference. All it knows is that it pitched a fit for sweets and you gave it.

On the other hand, it is summer and fruit season abounds. It is natural to want to eat more fresh fruit during this time of year which is completely fine. We recommend always including it with main meals (never alone or with nuts/nut butters as snacks) and don't let those fruits push veggies off your plate. Seasonal berries or a nectarine in your salad, pineapple grilled for your burger, apple in the coleslaw, etc. These are all excellent uses of fruit as an addition to your meal.

As far as weight loss goes, it is possible that eating that much fruit (and not enough veggies, I assume) is going to be problematic for a proper transition to fat adaptation because I suspect you are eating the fruit alone which is an easy carb/sugar grab for your body. If you can stick to the meal template and include fruit with a properly balanced meal (and no between meal snacking), you should do fine.

:)

Hi ladyshanny and Gracie35,

Thank you so much for your informative replies. It helps to get that straightened out, and I know I just have to put my mind to starving the sugar dragon and knowing the cravings will pass. Yes, I am looking forward to all the non weight related benefits as well and can already feel easier digestion! Hope you all are having good days!

Ladyshanny, great blog!  I saw the link in your signature block, and hopped over there.  Gracie was the name of my dog, she passed last year, but still and always my best friend. Loved to see the menus you posted. So a shout out to YOU for all the help! Thank you.

Great fun at the farmers market...and weird thing, I'm talking to farm owners about their eggs and meats, and asking questions, and let me just say for the record I'm a public speaker by trade, used to being around strangers, and there I am asking questions and suddenly I start feeling nervous. As this wonderful woman is telling all about how she cares for her animals, my eyes well up with tears. Whaaaaat? Jez-oh-pete, I had to make an excuse and go dig out the sunglasses. The Daily 30 said I might have hormonal mood swings, but wow, crying because chickens aren't caged and are well-fed and cared for - don't get me wrong I'm happy about that, it's just the degree of reaction that's a bit....ummm...startling.

Bought some Tessemae's salad dressing, trying out with lunch. I'll post a review.

So Day 4, how y'all doing? Me:  tired, tired, tired yesterday. And it's a weird kind of tired too. I've gone on total elimination diets before and usually by the fourth day, I'm through the headachy, slightly in a fog phase. Doesn't it feel like that this time.  My body is more engaged on this path. I'm eating what feels to me like a lot!!  A lot a lot!!!  In comparison to the near starvation I put myself through in 2012 when I was getting ready for a vision fast in the Sierra Mountains. I don't really feel hungry, I feel dopey, and vaguely 'out of control' not in the literal sense, but more in the abstract sense, like my body and mind are in a dialogue and I'm a bystander.

I'd really like to know if you're still going on, because if not I'll join another thread. OanaBro?  AlleyK?  Syd?

Happy Sunday, y'all.  :rolleyes:

Halfway through Day 4...

B: 3 eggs scrambled with red pepper, onions, avocado, delicious!

L:  salmon on big green salad, with red peppers and cukes, pineapple mango salsa

D: haven't decided yet...

The weird 'unable to focus' thing is gone.  Yay!  Walked 3+ miles, brief yoga, and had some rolfing, which if you've never tried it is wonderful. I feel great right now. Need to drink more water.  We had a fantastic cool evening last night, windows open, and big wind clearing everything out. Still nice and cool!  

Good luck to everyone, and onward.

Hi everybody,

I was excited to see all the posts, suggestions and recipes. So far for me it has been kind of hard and surprisingly not because of the food. I just feel tired, I don't have energy or desire for any kind of physical exercises and I hate that I have to drag myself to the park with my girls. The feeling of hunger from time to time I like but I hate how tired I feel. My husband on the other hand is having a great time with this and is full of energy, working out and moving non stop while I just want to sleep.

Here are my meals for today:

B: 10 almonds, 1 roasted pepper and onions omelet made by husband, which made it amazing, 1 cup black coffee

L: 1 can of tuna with cucumbers

D: porkchops with a big cabbage salad (cabbage, vinegar, a drop of olive oil, fresh dill, salt and pepper) and a tomato

I snacked on an apple, 2 dried prunes, and a few pistachios. 

Day 5 please bring some energy!!

Hi everybody,

I was excited to see all the posts, suggestions and recipes. So far for me it has been kind of hard and surprisingly not because of the food. I just feel tired, I don't have energy or desire for any kind of physical exercises and I hate that I have to drag myself to the park with my girls. The feeling of hunger from time to time I like but I hate how tired I feel. My husband on the other hand is having a great time with this and is full of energy, working out and moving non stop while I just want to sleep.

B: 10 almonds, 1 roasted pepper and onions omelet made by husband, which made it amazing, 1 cup black coffee

D: porkchops with a big cabbage salad (cabbage, vinegar, a drop of olive oil, fresh dill, salt and pepper) and a tomato

I don't think you're eating enough.

How many eggs were in your omelet? When eggs are your sole source of protein you should be eating as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people. Also be sure to drink your coffee after you've eaten as it can suppress the appetite.

You meal two looks very light on veg, and has no fat - the fat will keep you energised and prevent any cravings.

Your meal three doesn't look so bad, although again lacking in fat.

Fruit should be eaten only with or as part of a meal, not on it's own as a snack. Increase the size of your meals to avoid the need for snacking and you'll feel much better.

Hi everybody,

In addition to jmcbn's terrific feedback, add more carb-dense vegetables. Aim for at least one fist-sized serving daily, to also help your energy.

How much water are you drinking? Be sure to consume at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Hello,

gmcbn and Chris, thank you for your feedback. I do try to eat more veggies, some days I do better than others. Yesterday I wasn't very hungry and I felt very full after every meal. My intentions are not to starve myself, trust me! I do care about dropping some pounds but most importantly is the change in lifestyle. Today's menu is full of veggies: avocados, peppers, radishes, eggplant, broccoli, cauliflower and mushrooms.

Oana

Archived