To snack or not to snack?

So I'm breastfeeding a 13-month-old, and while that usually means only a couple of times a day, he actually is still pretty dependent on nursing and nurses every 3 hours. He's getting better with solids but they're definitely supplemental to the nursing and not the other way around.

I definitely have issues with emotional eating, eating mindlessly, eating for mouth hunger and not stomach hunger...etc.

Is snacking right for me or should I avoid it?

• Moderators

You shouldn't "snack," as in eating something like a handful of nuts or fruit.

However, you could plan four meals each day and eat those, or plan three meals and have a mini meal or two always available of protein, fat, and vegetables, so if you do feel hungry, you can think, do I want that mini meal I have set aside? If you do, have it. If you think, no, but I want some fruit -- that's not really hunger so much as a desire for something sweet, so don't eat. 

Definitely make sure you're eating enough at each meal though. Especially if you try to do only three meals, eat at the upper end of the meal template -- 2 palm-sized portions of protein, 2 thumb-sized portions of fat (or two heaping handfuls of olives or coconut flakes, or a whole avocado or more) and at least 2-3 cups of vegetables. Eating enough at meals is the best way to avoid snacking between meals, whether you're breastfeeding or not.

Guest Andria

Snacking, in general, is not recommended on the Whole30. Since you are breastfeeding, you may need to eat more than the 3 meals per day.  If so, you want to construct any additional meals to follow the meal template - protein, fat ,veg.  That do not need to be full size meals, they can be just enough to satisfy hunger.  You need to be able to separate true hunger from all the other reasons to eat that  you listed above.  The litmus test if you are truly hungry: plain fish and steamed veggies sound appealing.

Do be sure you are eating plenty of starchy carbs and food in general so that your milk supply does not drop.

To those who say snacking is not recommended on Whole30 - don't they specifically say that doesn't apply to breastfeeding moms?

But Shannon, I like your advice of the mini-meal and think that really makes sense. I will try that.

The problem I'm having (and I'm sure this is because my hormones are out of whack) is that at breakfast, I'm really not very hungry at all, I can get down a couple of eggs but have zero interest in adding vegetables. (I do eat before having my coffee.) Lunch is better, and I eat a full dinner definitely, and then for the rest of the night I feel "hungry" - well, not like stomach grumbling, but like I ACTUALLY WANT FOOD NOW. Any tips for that?

Because you are nursing, you should aim to eat four full meals per day, plus keep an easy fat source on hand throughout the day.

Since you are mothering a very small person, it's likely that you are much more tired than you realize. Many of us naturally reach for food as energy when our children are younger, because we know sleep is a rare commodity. This is not a failing, it is just a thing that happens.

But in your case, eat four full template meals, keep some olives or another fat source on hand for throughout the day, and see how you feel in a few days.

A template meal is:

1. 1-2 palm size portions of protein

2. 1-2 or more (aim for or more) thumb-size portions of fat

3. 1-3 cups of veggies

Emotional eating is one thing. Eating while nursing is another thing. Most of us, especially nursing mothers, just need to eat more. Don't confuse that real need (and the other thing, the exhaustion eating) with something that you would consider a failing. It's just a natural thing. Really. Eat up.

To those who say snacking is not recommended on Whole30 - don't they specifically say that doesn't apply to breastfeeding moms?

But Shannon, I like your advice of the mini-meal and think that really makes sense. I will try that.

The problem I'm having (and I'm sure this is because my hormones are out of whack) is that at breakfast, I'm really not very hungry at all, I can get down a couple of eggs but have zero interest in adding vegetables. (I do eat before having my coffee.) Lunch is better, and I eat a full dinner definitely, and then for the rest of the night I feel "hungry" - well, not like stomach grumbling, but like I ACTUALLY WANT FOOD NOW. Any tips for that?

I'd suggest making yourself a full template meal for breakfast, eating as much of it as you can, and then putting it away to finish as soon as you're able.

As for the night time hungries, I remember this SO WELL from my nursing days. Eat up, darlin. Eat up. Another full dinner - that can be your fourth full meal right there. I remember huge piles of food in those days. Haha Really, eat.

I'd suggest making yourself a full template meal for breakfast, eating as much of it as you can, and then putting it away to finish as soon as you're able.

As for the night time hungries, I remember this SO WELL from my nursing days. Eat up, darlin. Eat up. Another full dinner - that can be your fourth full meal right there. I remember huge piles of food in those days. Haha Really, eat.

Thank you for responding! I guess my worry is, I'm pretty sure I have leptin issues. My understanding is that the best way to recover from those is to avoid snacking throughout the day and especially to not eat after dinner. I'm not so certain that it's actual, physical hunger honestly - I haven't been eating after dinner for sure and it's not like I toss and turn in bed with my stomach grumbling. I just feel like eating.

The breakfast idea, is that not snacking b/c it's just finishing the meal? I guess if it's veggies, it can't be THAT terrible right? ;-)

• Administrators

It's not so much that "snacking" is ok for breastfeeding moms.  "Snacking" like we know it in our culture is mindless hand to mouth grazing all day.  The thing that does not apply to nursing or pregnant women is the three meals a day with no eating in between.  We don't want you grazing on fruits alone or just nuts but if you need to eat in between your main meals or add an additional full meal in between, the ladies above have given you great advice on how to formulate those meals.

Since you are mothering a very small person, it's likely that you are much more tired than you realize. Many of us naturally reach for food as energy when our children are younger, because we know sleep is a rare commodity. This is not a failing, it is just a thing that happens.

This! This happened to me yesterday, and I just now realized it. (Thanks, Amy!) I was under-slept, stressed out, and probably a little under-fed, and I "overdid" it on the fruit/nuts/coconut after dinner. What I really needed was more dinner and to go to bed early. I did actually go to bed early: win some, lose some.

My nursling is almost 3, and I still do four template meals most days. Also, in my first two weeks on my current Whole30, I ate like crazy. I was sure I was eating too much. Things seem to have calmed down now (Day 26) that my body has figured out that good, nourishing food is coming in regularly.

Archived