Any alternatives to Almond Milk and Meal?

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Almond Meal and Almond Milk for someone with a nut allergy? We normally drink Hemp milk but it contains Emulsifier (Sucrose Ester) which is on the no go sugar list so I'm looking for a milk and flour alternative so I can make some of the lovely looking recipes on the Whole30 Instagram account! Thanks

Wo watch out Instagram recipies just claim to be W30!

Not all ingredients comply

Nutmilks and butters are discouraged to supplement fluids fats

Using them in recipies ok but it's HOW you use the recipe that counts If it's Banana ice cream out SWYPO things like that

• Moderators

Coconut flour could be used, but it's not exactly the same and can't always be substituted one for one.

Most people use coconut milk for recipes or for their coffee. Look for the canned stuff, probably on whatever aisle Asian foods are on at your grocery store. Watch for added sweeteners and sulfites, but guar gum is OK.

You might be better off looking for recipes that don't use nuts or nut milks. There are plenty of them out there. I know it may sound boring but there are plenty of ways to cook meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables in healthy fats that are delicious.

• Moderators

One of the big goals of a Whole30 is learning to eat healthy foods. Nuts and nut milks are not top ranked healthy foods. They are acceptable ingredients, but nothing to focus upon. So basically, you don't need substitutes. You need a better vision of the kind of foods you should be eating. By chance, I can offer a sample: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/01/skillet-roasted-lamb-shoulder-chop-with-brussels-sprouts/

Archived