Long run fuel

fmr_sailor

I am beginning my first Whole30 on July 1. I run between 15-25 miles per week with a long run of about 2 hours every other week. I also teach several fitness classes during the week. I want to not only follow the Whole30 rules, but also maintain the "spirit" of the program as well. I bought compliant coconut water to take with me on long runs, but what about fuel while I am out there? Now I usually take NUUN water and after over an hour I stop at the store and buy a banana to eat.

I understand the pre and post WO meal guidelines, but can I, should I eat during the run? I bought some little boxes of raisins, but would that be too sugary on the run for the program. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. My first long run will be on day 12. Thank you!

Hi Sailor!  I've had similar questions as I'm starting to train for a 1/2 marathon.  At this point I haven't needed food during my longest runs (60-70 minutes plus).  From what I've been reading, I think I probably won't need to fuel during runs up to 2 or so hours -- depending on everyone's bodies.  For me, I eat plenty of starchy veggies (sweet potatoes or parsnips) on running days and plenty of fat (avocados, daily!).  Pre- and post-run foods should be enough to keep me fueled on my long run days.  But I think it will take experimentation as the distances get longer.

Here's an interesting thread from the ultra world:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25385-50-mile-trail-run-gi-distress-and-mile-35-bonk/?hl=%2Bduring+%2Bworkout

Either way, expect your first couple weeks to be have an impact on your workouts!  I have done a few Whole30's and feel pretty fatigued and sluggish at first. Then a light comes on and you'll start to feel like a superhero!

missmary

Whole9 Moderator Since Nov 6, 2013

• photo-thumb-2484.jpg?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 3145 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

Regina Runs Far, on 15 Feb 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:snapback.png

Any thoughts on what went wrong? 

Lots of thoughts. First, fueling during the race is not very important compared to fueling when you are not actively working out. Your body is designed to prevent good digestion during strenuous activity. You have to give your body something to work with during the time when you can actually rest and digest.

Am I shocked that you bonked during a 50 miler after having an Rx bar, a banana some strawberries and a handful of almonds for breakfast? Not even a little. I'm sorry you had such a rough time, but it seems almost inevitable, actually, based on how little you have been eating.

Reading your posts I see you consistently hugging the bottom limits of the meal template for most meals, with more fruit and nuts and fewer starchy carbs, less protein and less fat than recommended. The whole30 is a different paradigm from how you ate and fueled your workouts in the past. At this point it seems like you need to do some thinking and decide if you were happy with how things were going before (in which case, go back to it!) and if you weren't, if you are ready to commit to really doing this whole30 thing. Committing to the whole30 as an athlete means getting comfortable with a lot more volume of food at meals. A lot more protein. A lot more fat. More starchy carbs (probably at every single meal for you). Lots and lots of vegetables. 

I know I've said this to you before, so I'm sorry if it seems like I'm a broken record but if you want to make this transition, you have to actually make these changes wholeheartedly and for a sustained period of time. Going part-way there is just causing misery.

Has anyone linked Stephanie Gaudreau for you? She's a friend of the program and has done some teaching/workshops with Dallas. Maybe her experience as an athlete (and her books about fueling for workouts) might resonate. Take a look: http://stupideasypaleo.com/books/

I am beginning my first Whole30 on July 1. I run between 15-25 miles per week with a long run of about 2 hours every other week. I also teach several fitness classes during the week. I want to not only follow the Whole30 rules, but also maintain the "spirit" of the program as well. I bought compliant coconut water to take with me on long runs, but what about fuel while I am out there? Now I usually take NUUN water and after over an hour I stop at the store and buy a banana to eat.

I understand the pre and post WO meal guidelines, but can I, should I eat during the run? I bought some little boxes of raisins, but would that be too sugary on the run for the program. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. My first long run will be on day 12. Thank you!

Its very important to fuel prior to your run. If you're able, eat a full template meal prior and give yourself 90+ minutes to digest. This should not have starchy carbs as you want your body to learn to burn fat.  If you don't have time for a full meal, make sure to get in a pre-workout meal of just protein+fat.  What I did was scale back my long runs to 1 hr max for the first 2 weeks.  Your body is going through a very tough adaptation and you will feel the effects, believe me. Heavy legs, accelerated heart rate, slower than normal pace, a feeling of either running uphill or just having to work too hard (from what you're used to). This lasts 2-3 weeks depending on the person and you really have to just tough it out. the payoff is worth it though!  .

If you can't cut your long runs back while you adapt, you may need to have something during your runs. Personally, I tried to wait to have anything supplemental until I was 70-90 minutes in. I wanted to force my body to burn fat as best I can. What I used when I did seem to be bonking was a gel I made myself of puréed yam, coconut milk and a little applesauce (unsweetened of course). Thinned with enough coconut water so I could put it in a flask.  I also put a bit of sea salt in it. 

Check out posts from ultrarunnergirl - she has links to her blog in her signature. Her blog has tons of helpful info for endurance fueling.  And don't forget to have protein and carbs (NOT fruit) post run to replenish.

My runs are quite early in the morning. My long run I get up around 5 and out the door by 6. Probably could manage a hard boiled egg and some nuts before the run. Can I eat another egg and a starchy vegetable after? I'd rather not waste the yolk, but is that too much fat? I am planning to take coconut water with me for my long run. It was more carbs than the NUUN tabs (which only have 1g). But the NUUN has sorbitol or xylitol in it, so for the Whole30, it's out.

What I sometimes do is boil two eggs and have the two yolks preWO (along with a few bites of chicken) & the whites after along with some starchy veg.

Any fat after training is going to stop your muscles absorbing what it needs.

Archived