Start Date June 29! Anyone else???

Margot

Bronwyn, 

Yesterday was SUPER hard for me too!! I was fine until my darling, sweet, caring hubby (he really is most of the time) came home late with Chick-Fil-A. I threw some MAJOR eye daggers. I  also was a bit snippy but forewarned him the next few days might be tough and I'll try to compose myself. ;) I need some major prayers, good thoughts, whatever you guys can do.... 

I am going to my friend's annual 4th of July Pool  party. They are pretty big drinkers and that is something I am going to miss. Having cocktails with them at the pool is a favorite summer activity for me. Activity, I say so!! :o)  I bought LaCroix water to help me trick my brain into thinking I'm enjoying a tasty beverage and made a big ole thing of tea to take along with me. Is there other  any advice or fun drinking recipes  y'all might add or have tried? 

Also, I'm looking for some compliant side dishes to take over, so I can at least have something.. I saw a thread, but couldn't find it. 

Glad to make it to Day # 5!! We are 1/6 of the way through!!! Thank y'all SO MUCH  for sharing with me. It has truly kept me going. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woo hoo! You've got this. Sending all of the positive vibes your way.

I noticed that in the Whole 30 book, there are some great W30 "mocktail" recipes for special occasions. They have some on the site, too: http://whole9life.com/2013/04/mocktails/Maybe make a pitcher of those for yourself to have?

There is a store in Toronto (and some in the States, too) called DavidsTea that make all kinds of looseleaf teas that you can brew iced. Warning that some of them are non-compliant, but this is a helfpul list: http://frompastatopaleo.com/2013/08/20/whole30-davids-tea/

They make these delicious things called TeaPops which is basically brewed iced tea mixed with sparkling water. http://hellocreativefamily.com/cup-creativi-tea-davidstea-tea-pop-recipe/ Yum :)

Or if you're up for it, Kombucha! GT's is sweetened after fermentation with fruit juice, so it's compliant. Be sure to double-check labels, though :)

Enjoy your July 4 weekend.

Bronwyn, 

Yesterday was SUPER hard for me too!! I was fine until my darling, sweet, caring hubby (he really is most of the time) came home late with Chick-Fil-A. I threw some MAJOR eye daggers. I  also was a bit snippy but forewarned him the next few days might be tough and I'll try to compose myself. ;) I need some major prayers, good thoughts, whatever you guys can do.... 

I am going to my friend's annual 4th of July Pool  party. They are pretty big drinkers and that is something I am going to miss. Having cocktails with them at the pool is a favorite summer activity for me. Activity, I say so!! :o)  I bought LaCroix water to help me trick my brain into thinking I'm enjoying a tasty beverage and made a big ole thing of tea to take along with me. Is there other  any advice or fun drinking recipes  y'all might add or have tried? 

Also, I'm looking for some compliant side dishes to take over, so I can at least have something.. I saw a thread, but couldn't find it. 

Glad to make it to Day # 5!! We are 1/6 of the way through!!! Thank y'all SO MUCH  for sharing with me. It has truly kept me going.

Lila.kay26...I like to pour Perrier in a wine glass and put a cut up strawberry and slice of lemon in it...

I was planning on eating my veggies and then having the juice with dinner instead of say my water.  So I am still eating the same but I have gotten more nutrients and I only eat 3 meals a day with 4 to 5 hours in between.  I do not have time to eat mini meals with 60 hour work week and still stay compliant.  I don't understand if I am eating the veggies and get full then downing the juice at end of meal how that would send the wrong signal to my brain.  It doesn't make sense.  Please clarify.  Thank you

By juicing your veg rather than eating them you're never going to increase your capacity to eat a template meal big enough to satiate you for 4-5hrs if you're struggling to do so now. Also Whole30 is about mindful eating - taking time to chew your food without distraction, and focus on what you're eating. Drinking juice just isn't the same whatever way you look at it - unless of course it's wine  ;)  

If you're in any way concerned that you're not eating enough as I said to allaluce you can post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake and we can take a look and see if you need to make any tweaks.... At the end of the day juicing is not recommended but  if you want to do it it's your Whole30 - all I can do is make suggestions to help you to get the most out of it.

Margot, I am! We're going out of town, so we'll definitely be eating out, which makes me more nervous. I'll be bringing some emergency food with me just in case. We also have a family dinner tonight which should be a good test.

And today!  Having a party at our house and it's killing me to ice the wine, bake a pie...but I've made lots of compliant items for the menu and I'm just going to suck it up...if we can make it through this weekend, we can make the Whole 30!

Today has been a bear for me!!!

I may not have killed anything but everyone is getting on my nerves!!! I have to keep reminding myself that it's me that's the problem, not them, lol!!!

That said...I made it through another day...we all have...YAY US!!!! 5 days down and only 25 to go!!!

Day 6 here we come!!! Sweet dreams all!

I went grocery shopping tonight, and I was so. freaking. miserable. Passing by aisles of things that I can't have, my favourite brand of kombucha I can't drink, and a wall of lovely dark chocolate I stared at while in line to pay...  :angry:

I am ready for Kill All The Things to end soon, please :P Happy July 4th to all of you south of the border! 

Well it's day 6!  Woke up with raging headache and feeling quite sluggish.  I think its because, even though I stayed on track during last nights party, I probably ate larger portions and more fruit than I should have.  I was trying to stave off feeling deprived but at today's festivities I'll remind myself that even too much of a good thing is too much!  So Bronywn...I'm feeling a bit Kill all the Things this morning even though it's day 6.  Margot, you're a good person from remembering where your Kill all attitude is coming from.  I've got a four teenage boys in the house this morning, 2 extra sleeping over.   Hope they sleep until noon!  I can't face them.

Funny about grocery shopping.  Both grocery shopping and meal planning make me happy because I look at all the things I can eat.  We're lucky to live in a city with a variety of shopping choices and I have a couple of grocery stores nearby that have aisles of good whole food.  I even found Paleo (sugar free) bacon right there in front of the butcher case and almond butter with no added ingredients.    And, I'm discovering some new favorites.  I made sunshine sauce from Whole 30 and it's really great!  Big hit at last nights party.  Everyone loved it with jicama.

Oh well, finished breakfast.  Can I have my coffee now?  Off to celebrate the 4th in a much smaller way!  Best of luck to you all.  We almost finished our first week!

Good morning! I too woke up with a headache from having too much fruit last night! A small group of us get together every couple of weeks and make food, talk books and writing, and it's always such a lovely time. My friends were great about having compliant food (so we had a massive batch of greens and walnut-crusted pork tenderloin - no starch, I know I know.) and then dessert. Because we always do. We did mixed berries, and my friends had it with sponge cake. I just had the berries, but it was the last thing I ate yesterday (had some water when I got home) and I think it was just too much. So...I woke up this morning and needed something else.

Today was a planned "clean out the fridge day". Because I'm doing this on my own, but was making extra for my mom who sometimes ate things and sometimes didn't, I knew I would have leftovers by the weekend. (If I didn't, I could easily whip something together for breakfast and then pop out to get more supplies). So  I finished up a bag of salad, adding some spinach to it, had an egg cut into it, and a couple chicken meatballs. Not the perfect breakfast, but I still couldn't get through it. I ate as much as I could (about half), and now I'm taking a short break to add comments here, then I'm going back to finish as much as I can. Then I need to prep for next week.

Sorry, this is turning into a monster post.

So I've been struggling with portion sizes - I can't eat enough at a single sitting, so I end up splitting my meals. I've always been told to have smaller meals more often (meals, not snacks) so this is just really difficult for me. Here's 2 days worth of food that I had this past week:

1- Scrambled eggs, strawberries, chicken breast

2 - Romesco Garlic Shrimp with Zucchini Noodles

3 - Grilled Coconut Curry Chicken with sweet potato and asparagus

1 - Spinach Frittata

2 - Mexican tuna boats and raw veg (sub endive with lettuce)

3 - Poached Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce, Sweet potato and zucchini

I'm mostly following exact recipes for the first week, so if the serving size is 2, I'm splitting it in half and that's my portion. And at every meal except one, I couldn't finish it. (The one time I did, I was able to eat more, so I did).  Other than that, I've been having iced americanos with coconut milk at least once a day, sometimes twice, iced unsweetened tea, and lots of water. I will admit to having the odd snack (fruit or veg) if I'm really struggling and have some sort of activity to get through (cutting the grass after work, etc.) That's only happened once or twice, I promise :)

My mood has been pretty good. I'm almost getting competitive about it. In my head, I'm thinking, "yes, please do eat that donut in front of me. I don't need it", daring myself to withstand as much as possible. I think it's actually making things easier to be around people eating things I can't. "Pft, puny human with no willpower! I am superior to you". :) At least it makes this all more entertaining in my head...

Good luck to the Americans in the group! I had a pretty relaxed Canada Day, so I wasn't too tempted, but you can do it!

DAY6 = JULY 4

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!

I. Did. Not. Sleep. Well. Last. Night. :-/

Did I mention I don't do well with no sleep???

Oh well...getting mentally prepared to tackle the day knowing it's going to be DIFFICULT!!!

Food wise I will be fine I think...planning grilled beef tenderloin and veggies with the pears w/raspberry sauce for dinner but I know when the sun goes down and the fireworks come out I am really going to want a glass of red wine...just one...okay, maybe 2... But I know it is going to be a monster sized dragon I will be facing tonight!!!

Ok, your meals look pretty good allaluce although you look pretty low on fat to me - I'd probably add in an extra fat source to each meal, be it a handful of olives or a half an avocado or maybe some compliant bacon to the frittata.

The scrambled eggs with strawberries & chicken breast was a little off template - both the eggs and the chicken are protein, and you've no vegetables there at all. I'm guessing you'll have felt tired that afternoon...

If you're not able to eat all of any of these meals then eat around the plate (making sure you eat a little of each food group) then wrap it up and eat it as a mini meal as soon as you are able. Over time your appetite will increase. If you're taking coffee with any meal then make sure you are drinking it after you have eaten as coffee suppresses the appetite.

The whole 'smaller meals more often' thing has never actually been scientifically validated, in spite of the amount of research done in this area. The thermic effect of food (ie. how food effects the metabolism) is directly proportional to the food you eat & the composition of your meals, not how often you eat it.

If you're struggling and have an activity to do try to eat some protein & fat (& veggies if you can) and not fruit. Eating fruit alone will spike your blood sugar and will leave you with faux hunger, and in order to get your hormones back in whack you want to avoid this as much as possible.

You're on the right track - just stick with it and you'll see that over time you can eat more at each sitting until you get to the point where you surprise yourself at how much food you can put away.

Day # 6.  Today I woke up with relative ease. Had some scrambled eggs with peppers and salsa, left over carne asada and some fruit. Sipping on my coffee as we speak. I decided not to let food and drink get the best of me today. I let the host know that I am doing this and he said NO PROBLEMO. He was like whatever you need me to do I will do it! Gotta love great friends! I'm bringing over my homemade salsa and  tomatillo and avocado salsa. Everyone will have chips-I'll have carrots. I prepared a nice salad and made my W30 compliant salad dressing. I brewed some raspberry tea and will be taking that as well as the La Croix water! I can't remember who said it, but if we can make it through today, we've got this!! :o) I'm kind of excited about groceries tomorrow. 

Oh! I made my very own marinana sauce that has whole compliant and it was delicious and super easy. We had it with compliant turkey meatballs and zucchini noodles. I'm going to use the mariana sauce for dinner on Monday and make stuffed bell peppers with ground turkey! Hope everyone has a fabulous day!! :o

Day 6: 

I woke up sad and anxious. Maybe I'll feel better when I eat.

We went to a family dinner and my BiL made me a special chicken breast, MiL left off all non-compliant items from the salad (she kept them on the side for everyone else), I brought my own dressing, and we made compliant zucchini fritters. 

I was very excited and proud that I made it through my first out of home Whole30 experience on plan and unscathed. Everyone else made it out alive, too! The things that I expected to be tough (pre-dinner snacks of cheese, spinach artichoke dip, and crackers) were easy to avoid (I didn't even want them) or I had a good alternative for them (grapefruit juice and sparkling water instead of wine or beer). 

It was a huge success, so I'm confident I'll be fine today. Our hosts for today's festivities are aware of my restrictions and I'll be bringing emergency meals today, as I did last night, just in case.

• Moderators

Day 6:

I woke up sad and anxious. Maybe I'll feel better when I eat.

Be sure you're including at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day, and if you're prone to anxiety and depression you may need more. Starchy vegetables include potatoes; sweet potatoes; root vegetables like turnip, rutabaga, beets, carrots, or parsnips; winter squash like butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash; pumpkin; plantain; or jicama.

Good to know Shannon! I have both depression and anxiety, which is generally pretty manageable. I will keep starchy veg in mind if it begins to flare up again. 

I am feeling pretty tired this morning. I don't think that I had enough protein with my meal last night which lead to those hangry feelings while grocery shopping. I had a small snack afterwards (Spicy Nick's Sticks, one Sea Snax) and was able to feel fine until I went to sleep. But man am I dragging my butt today. 

Managed to get out of bed when my alarm went off at 9 and make a frittata w/ clarified butter, avocado, peppers, tomato, onion, and spinach. Had with a small side of leftover pork chops, cold brew coffee w/ coconut milk, cherries, and watermelon. I feel very satiated, but still tired.

I have pork butt in the crockpot for an easy dinner and am trying the salmon cakes for lunch. 

Good to know Shannon! I have both depression and anxiety, which is generally pretty manageable. I will keep starchy veg in mind if it begins to flare up again. 

I am feeling pretty tired this morning. I don't think that I had enough protein with my meal last night which lead to those hangry feelings while grocery shopping. I had a small snack afterwards (Spicy Nick's Sticks, one Sea Snax) and was able to feel fine until I went to sleep. But man am I dragging my butt today. 

Managed to get out of bed when my alarm went off at 9 and make a frittata w/ clarified butter, avocado, peppers, tomato, onion, and spinach. Had with a small side of leftover pork chops, cold brew coffee w/ coconut milk, cherries, and watermelon. I feel very satiated, but still tired.

I have pork butt in the crockpot for an easy dinner and am trying the salmon cakes for lunch. 

A lot of folk report having a crash later in the day when they have fruit/starchy veg in the morning so holding it back to meal two (or three for me personally) may be something to play around with to improve both energy levels & sleep.

Just got back from some retail therapy - bought ALL THE BOOKS which always improves my mood, whether I really need a pick me up or not... Bought some veg on the way home, but the real win of the day was going through the Starbucks line, ordering my drink, saying no to nice man who offered me baked goods, grabbing my drink and leaving. I got unsweetened iced tea, which is delicious. In both coffees and teas, I'm really noticing that I don't need sugar at all if I'm drinking the good stuff...so that's a win for me!

Be sure you're including at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day, and if you're prone to anxiety and depression you may need more. Starchy vegetables include potatoes; sweet potatoes; root vegetables like turnip, rutabaga, beets, carrots, or parsnips; winter squash like butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash; pumpkin; plantain; or jicama.

Thanks for the advice, Shannon! Since day 3, I have been adding starchy veggies in at least one meal. I've been sticking to beets, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots.

Off topic, but is anyone else having dreams that they've gone off plan and are back to Day 1? I've had two and wake up SO relieved it was just a dream!

YES. ME. I had a dream last night about food for the first time. It was a mixture of getting to eat all the breads and sugars, but also the panic about what it meant if I was eating those. I'd really prefer not to dream about food at all. I'm a firm believer that we can over think this. Yes, we need to make more time to plan out eating, prepare food, and enjoy our meals, but if your life quickly becomes all about food and nothing else, that's when the cravings set in and it seems impossible get through the 30 days. That's been my mindset anyway.

I am craving bread HARD right now, which is weird because I don't eat a lot of bread in general. I'm making a delicious meal of beef tenderloin steaks, potato, and fresh local asparagus, so I have a lot to look forward to if I can just get past this!

Hope you're all well!

Luckily I'm staying home and not doing anything over the holiday. I had my breakfast super late at 1 pm since I had to go get groceries. I've been feeling hungry all day and not to mention really emotional. I had my lunch around 4 and now I'm hungry again. Eating late really messed up my day. I did have a delicious treat of banana with blueberries and warmed almond butter!!

I spent the 4 th of July wandering around The Royal Horticultural Society's Flower Show at Hampton Court in near 90 degree heat with friends. Got rushed in the departure and my bag of food got left behind so my meal spacing was out of my control. Ate breakfast at 7:00, frittata with eggs spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes cooked with a fair dollop of coconut oil and milk. Then lunch at 2 of grilled chicken over an undressed salad. I felt so lucky to find it tHat I didn't even blink at the price. Lots of water all day and dinner at 8 which was romaine, cucumbers, red onions and tomato and salmon with compliant mayo - missed out on my starchy veg. Drank lots more herbal tea and cold water and having walked over 10000 felt lovely and tired but in a very nice way.

Margot, I feel for your anticipated wine craving, socialising with some of my groups of friends is harder with out wine, than others. But we can do this...

Got to get up now for day 7, as it is nearly time to eat!

I hope you all have a lovely Sunday

Luckily I'm staying home and not doing anything over the holiday. I had my breakfast super late at 1 pm since I had to go get groceries. I've been feeling hungry all day and not to mention really emotional. I had my lunch around 4 and now I'm hungry again. Eating late really messed up my day. I did have a delicious treat of banana with blueberries and warmed almond butter!!

Eating within an hour of wakening is really key in getting your hormones back into whack, and yes, having eaten so late you'll have been playing catch up day - it's difficult to claw your way back from a poor start to the day.

If you're genuinely hungry enough for a snack (i.e. you'd quite happily eat the blandest of bland foods in an instant) then try to make it a mini meal of protein & fat (& preferably veggies). Eating fruit & nut butter like this will continue to feed your sugar dragon and play havoc with your blood sugar levels, which in turn will mess with your sleep/appetite.

Archived