Start Date June 29! Anyone else???

Margot

Margot, have you tried non-traditional food for breakfast since you're not a fan of breakfast food? I don't have that problem as I adore breakfast, but I did have a salad when a woke up yesterday and that was delightful!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Margot and all, I started my Whole50 yesterday... that oughta be a good start. I'm 53, newly moved to Colorado Springs, newly empty nester, and a has-been ultra marathoner and mountain climber. I hope to be a can-do (with some 53 year-old allowances) by next year. I will start with my first bike ride in a year.. getting my rear in gear will be painful!! I'm 40 pounds overweight have a non-functioning thyroid. I'm hopeful that I can see some reversal, Luv1another! I've never used Forums, but looks like I'm on my own. Hubby is supportive, but he's never had a weight problem in his life (at 56, he's still 6' and 165 lbs)  It has been a rough 7 years with my four kids' struggles with chronic disease, but things are stable now, and my body has decided to use this "season of peace" to rebel and shut down. Whole30 looks like what I need to cleanse my body, spirit, and mind from all the guck that has built up. Biggest hurdle: extreme reliance on Diet Coke. I don't drink coffee or tea. So where is my energy going to come from?!?!  I feel like a zombie.  :blink:

Well!  Welcome!  I can relate to your desire to restart and launch into fitness and a healthy lifestyle.  Especially, living in CO Springs!  Lucky you.  Good luck with Diet Coke.  I'm breaking up with my nightly glasses of wine and the enormous amounts of sugar in each glass.  Just remember that your energy will come from new habits and your bodies ability to use the healthy fuel that you are now going to give it.  I rode 10 miles this morning (our roads are extremely flat so it's not the ride you would have).  Came home and just finished a bowl of butternut squash soup that I prepared yesterday in anticipation of a post-workout dense carb vegetable meal.  Made it with Ghee, onion and curry powder!  The food will  not be a problem on the Whole 30 (except for the aforementioned eating out!).  Have a wonderful Day 2!

Hi, I started yesterday as well. I live in the Uk but was born in the US. Six meals in and so far so good. I mention living in the UK because some of the ingredients are hard to find. are you following the detailed 7 day template in the book? I thought about it, but decided to go with 'market' cuisine hitting the local farm shop and getting what looks fresh and appealing.

I am a widow and for the most part only have myself to please.

Today marks Day # 2 for me and last night I had such a hard time falling asleep. Is anyone else having trouble?  I'm not sure if I'm doing everything correct and maybe that could be it? I've read the book, searched forums, and I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything okay. I follow the guide of portion sizes, make sure half my plate is veggies. Any advice would be much appreciated. Besides the  book, are there blogs, or templates that spell out what to eat.... I apologize if this is repeating... 

Hey Lila,

I wouldnt worry so much about how much your eating, I am coming from paleo and the this is basicly strict paleo.  Everything I have seen is more about eating the right foods until you feel full.  I havnt even seen the template and didnt know there was one.  I personally think some people get a bit too OCD over it all. My husband and I did it last time and didnt worry about portion sizes.  We just ate piece of protein and veggiesfor our main meal, we had chia pudding or eggs of some type for breakfast and lunch was a protein and salady stuff.  the other thing that is good is to get some fermented foods into your routine.  Hubby and I also did the Pete Evans paleo way.  It was good but didnt lose weight because we were trying to follow plans for eating and I think that stressed me a bit.

on the Pete evans plan he says to eat fermented foods with every meal to help heal your gut.  We tended to forget but we do eat saurkraut with lunch everyday. 

the diet coke is actually worse than real coke, the fake sugars are cancer causing and it doesnt help you keep the weight off as your body thinks it just got sugar and so reacts in the same ways.  this is an infograph about the damage diet soda does...your actually better off drinking real soda if you have to (off plan of course :) ) but water is even better.  http://www.prevention.com/health/your-body-diet-soda-infographic

personally I think if you stick to what you are allowed to eat you will be fine the meal plans are suggestions to get you started and give ideas.

unfortunately I am not allowed to eat within an hour of waking up...I have to take thyroid meds and the dr said you have to wait an hour after taking them before eating.

you can all do this :) one trick I read is if your tempted to eat something to go for a walk or have a shower etc something that will take at least 15 minutes it only has to be short but it helps the craving to go and you have time to refocus

to clarify the chia pudding we have for breaky sometimes.....

70gms of chia seeds

250ml coconut water

250ml coconut cream

2 eggs

1 tablespoons of coconut oil

1 vanilla bean split and seeds scrapped out

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

pinch of himalayan salt

mixed berries to serve

combine the chia seeds and coconut water and set aside

put the coconut cream in a saucepan bring to a simmer over medium heat.  Add eggs, coconut oil, vanilla seeds, cinnamon and salt, whisk 4-5 minutes till slightly thickened.

add the mixture to the bowl of chia seeds and coconut water. stir well

pour into 3-4 small bowls depending on how generous you would like the servings.

put in fridge for minimum 1 hour best left overnight

to serve top with some fresh berries

Thank you! I think you nailed it on the head.. I am a  bit OCD. I'm just going to make sure I have veggies and protein at every meal and if what I serve doesn't fill me up, add some more veggies or fruit! Thanks so much.. 

Also, Does anyone know of national chains that are Whole 30 friendly? I was so sad to hear about Chipotle. :/ 

70gms of chia seeds

250ml coconut water

250ml coconut cream

2 eggs

pinch of himalayan salt

mixed berries to serve

put the coconut cream in a saucepan bring to a simmer over medium heat.  Add eggs, coconut oil, vanilla seeds, cinnamon and salt, whisk 4-5 minutes till slightly thickened.

pour into 3-4 small bowls depending on how generous you would like the servings.

hi Mcnix and Lila.kay26!  Welcome!!!

Day 2 is almost done :D  :D  :D

How's everyone hanging in there??

Lila.k...i don't much follow the meal templates but focus on foods from the list, not too many nuts,no snacking, lots and lots of water, and an occasional bit of fruit with a meal.  I actually slept wonderfully last night and that is HUGE for me! Hoping it keeps up!!! Maybe tonight will be better for you!

Today was a bit easier for me than yesterday but I am bracing myself for tomorrow  :blink:

I started yesterday! I'm brand new to whole30 and I'm excited about the program. I'm a young 53 year old wife and mother of 2 daughters and a son. My desire is to lose weight in a healthy way. I need to lose 55lb!

I started my second whole 30 on Monday the 29th. I saw great results with my first whole 30. I lost 5 inches in my waist and 20 pounds! I had moments during my 30 days where I had cravings but by day 30 my cravings were gone. I took the weekend off and started back. I'm excited to see what happens in the next 30 days!!

Today marks Day # 2 for me and last night I had such a hard time falling asleep. Is anyone else having trouble?  I'm not sure if I'm doing everything correct and maybe that could be it? I've read the book, searched forums, and I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything okay. I follow the guide of portion sizes, make sure half my plate is veggies. Any advice would be much appreciated. Besides the  book, are there blogs, or templates that spell out what to eat.... I apologize if this is repeating...

One of the moderators has his own website with 400 compliant recipes www.wholelifeeating.com - the recipes are interesting.

The plan feels a bit of a free fall, as the rules are so simple, and the possibility of error is huge. I have cleared most non compliant food from my kitchen, but mindlessly picked up the breath mints box when I got into my car. It was only because the lid stuck that I realised - i dont eat them any more..near miss!

The book has a sample 7 day plan, but for some reason that daunted me. So I have just bought lots of veggies from the list, stocked up on high quality protein and a bit of fruit. I will use the template next week or the week after when I run out of ideas.

70gms of chia seeds

250ml coconut water

250ml coconut cream

2 eggs

pinch of himalayan salt

mixed berries to serve

Sorry. This is serious SWYPO territory and off limits during your Whole30 - no re-creating former foods with compliant ingredients.

Please follow the meal template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein (that's the length, breadth & depth of your palm), 1-3 cups of veggies (with 3 being optimum), and 1-2 thumb sized pieces of fat (or a handful of olives, a dollop of mayo etc).

Even with the inclusion of eggs in this dish the protein content is negligible once the 'pudding' (which should be ringing alarm bells) is divided out. When eggs are your sole source of protein you should be eating as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females. Chia seeds are a fat on whole30 so you're basically eating fruit & fat here which will send your blood sugar rocketing, especially when eaten first thing in the morning having fasted overnight.

For those trying to fit fruit in remember fruit is not compulsory and many chose to not eat it.

Thank you!  Trying to figure out how to work my fruit in (can't be a snack) and this recipe will be perfect for breakfast!  I converted the metrics and it works out like this for all us US bloggers.  70 gms = 2.5 oz, 250 ml = a little less than 8.5 oz.  Will be making this over the weekend. 

Please see my response below re the Chia Pudding - it's classed as SWYPO I'm afraid and off limits during your Whole30.

• Moderators

Thank you!  Trying to figure out how to work my fruit in (can't be a snack) and this recipe will be perfect for breakfast!  I converted the metrics and it works out like this for all us US bloggers.  70 gms = 2.5 oz, 250 ml = a little less than 8.5 oz.  Will be making this over the weekend. 

You don't actually have to eat any fruit. If you do have it, have it as a side dish with a full meal, or use it as an accent in a dish -- like berries in a salad, or baked apples on a pork chop, or something like this (although you'd still need to add some vegetables with this to make it a meal)..  Focus mostly on the protein, fat, and vegetables, and make fruit something you have sometimes, not a focus.

umm but according to the whole 30 book chia should be treated as a nut or seed not fat....secondly I am not recreating anything I believe the pudding name comes from the fact the eggs are mixed with coconut not because it is a sweet pudding. I normally do not eat pudding anyway and have never made a real pudding.

none of the ingredients are non whole 30 and its no different to the chia pods you can buy in the store which on another post a moderator said was ok for people to eat.  so if I change the name does that then make it ok?

also the book says you do not have to follow the template it even says not all the recipes in the book follow the template. 

I think that this is very confusing, I have read the book and website and as far as I can see it would be fine...I also do not understand why someone is telling me that I am having sex with my pants on...I looked up what swypo means.  I am now overwhelmed with this and wont come back to post as I feel very upset with how this was handled.  I now just want to quit

I am of the belief that if your overall day has the amounts of food you are supposed to have why the fuss?

I'm really sorry you feel that way, but chia pudding has been discussed many times on the forum before (here's the most recent), and the same response is always given. Unfortunately I had to draw your attention to it because you were encouraging others to do something which is against the rules - albeit you may not have been aware of this.

You'll find a similar response if you happen to suggest blending frozen bananas with coconut milk down to an 'ice cream' consistency - compliant? yes... Allowed on Whole30? no... And don't get me started on Monkey Salad...!

All nuts & seeds are fats on Whole30 and should be eaten only in moderation - there are many superior fat sources.

SWYPO is an acronym used widely across the forum and is not meant to be in any way offensive - it's a way of describing having a treat or an old style meal, or junk food made up of compliant ingredients. Think pretty much any paleo dessert and you'll get it's meaning.

I believe from your previous posts that you have completed a whole30 previously, but if you have used the likes of a Facebook group for support for example, they are not affiliated with the official site and many of them have their own set of (non-Whole30) rules. Also, there are many recipes on blogs, FB and instagram that are tagged as Whole30, and which are technically compliant, but they're just not in keeping with the spirit of Whole30. 

Whole30 is not just about eating compliant foods for 30 days. It is about changing your relationship with food, it's about ditching old habits & creating new, healthier ones, it's about following the recommended meal template of protein, fat & veggies at every meal, three meals a day, no snacking, no letting the fruit push the veggies off of your plate, for the absolute best results.

Honestly, you will get much better results if you stick to the meal template.

I truly hope you can dust yourself off and get straight back on to it - your posts so far have been very encouraging and informative to others. It really would be a shame to see you go.

Well I am not sleeping well, harder to get to sleep and stay asleep and waking up early. Anyone else feeling this way?  I figure it has to do with the lack of sugar.  I had felt the same way when I had quit smoking.   Yesterday late afternoon evening I had some sugar cravings, not bad; just enough to make me aware.  Also can not concentrate, feel like I have ADD.  Woke up with some anxiety.  Not sure why except it's like your alarm didn't go off and your going to be late for work except that I still had another hour I could of slept.....   I am hoping this will pass quickly. 

Tried the shepherd's pie for dinner last night.  It was good and pretty easy to make.  Have left overs which make it nice for lunch. What is everyone else cooking for dinners? 

Have a good day..

Well I am not sleeping well, harder to get to sleep and stay asleep and waking up early. Anyone else feeling this way?  I figure it has to do with the lack of sugar.  I had felt the same way when I had quit smoking.   Yesterday late afternoon evening I had some sugar cravings, not bad; just enough to make me aware.  Also can not concentrate, feel like I have ADD.  Woke up with some anxiety.  Not sure why except it's like your alarm didn't go off and your going to be late for work except that I still had another hour I could of slept.....   I am hoping this will pass quickly. 

Tried the shepherd's pie for dinner last night.  It was good and pretty easy to make.  Have left overs which make it nice for lunch. What is everyone else cooking for dinners? 

Have a good day..

hey stacy116!

i have had some really foggy and anxious moments as well...yesterday i got a bit of a workout in and that really seemed to help!  i cooked turkey cutlets last night and served them with artichoke hearts, zucchini,and raw cucumber slices...not my favorite dinner but it worked and i can use the leftovers to make a salad ;)

i have to admit i fell a little off plan yesterday...i was up really late waiting for one of my boys to get home and got really hungry.  i didn't eat anything non compliant but i did have a 4th mini-meal around 11:45pm  :( i was afraid if i didn't eat something i would end up blowing the whole thing so figured was the better option.  i know its not good to eat that late though :(

anyway, today is a new day and its DAY 3!!! i am super pumped because i can't tell you how many times i have started this only to quit by the end of the first or second day. this forum is REALLY helping me and I appreciate you all!!! :rolleyes:  :D

Stacy,

I feel the EXACT same way. I think it's because I had a lot of horrible, yucky, no good, very bad things right before I started Whole 30. I'm assuming this is the "hangover" part. I did fall asleep faster last night, but still had trouble waking up this morning. 

I had Carne Asada with a marinade that with compliant spices, ovoo, and vinegar. I then made the salsa from the book and put that on top. (It makes ALOT of salsa so I had that on my eggs this morning).  I also sautéed veggies with some salt and pepper. It filled up myself and my hubby!! He was even impressed with the taste. Hope that helps! We are in this together!! 

• Moderators

Have a good day..

First, you are only a couple of days into the program, give it a little bit of time.

Second, everything you described -- not sleeping well, can't concentrate, and sugar cravings -- make me wonder if you are including enough starchy vegetables. Most people benefit from having at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day (potato; sweet potato; root vegetables like turnip, rutabaga, beets, carrots; or winter squashes like butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash). People who are prone to anxiety or depression, people who are very active, and women who are pregnant, nursing, or in the week leading up to their period often find they need more. 

Some people find that if they have starchy vegetables in their last meal of the day, that they sleep better, so if you're already including some, you might play with the timing of it as well.

Anyone has breakfast ideas that don't include egg?

This question has been discussed ad nauseum in the past on the forum.  :)

Easiest way to search the forum is from Google. Type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for to get links to past discussion threads.

In this case type Whole30 non-egg breakfast.  

You may also find this recent discussion on non-traditional breakfasts helpful.

Welcome!  don't worry about asking questions that have already been asked.  Most of us are new here!  But it looks like the links the moderator posted will provide good info.  Me, I'm still looking for easily digestible proteins that are not eggs.  I work out first thing in the morning and I like eggs but every day would be a little too much.  Meat seems like too much to digest.  Guess, I'll try the google approach too!  Good luck and congrats on the little ones!

Archived