Help - need a salad recipe for a noncompliant crowd

image-in-ing

I volunteered to make salad for a crowd of folks who don't do whole 30 (poor people!) for our July 4 cookout.

I'd like to make something I can eat heartily while everyone else is filling up on crap... but I'd like it to be tasty for them so no one gets a bad impression of W30. Should I make a dressing and toss it? If so, what dressing would you recommend? I'd like some recipes.

Thanks!

My favourite salad right now has lots of different leaves so green ones, red ones, yellow ones (I only know the Swiss names for these), watercress, baby spinach, herbs such as mint & dill. I then add some sliced up nectarine or peach, cubed avocado and then some fried crispy bacon that has been chopped into bite sized pieces. I love it and eat masses of this. 

I forgot to add that I serve this with a simple olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing. 

I'm a big fan of cold baby boiled potatoes (skins on) chopped up with tomatoes, & thinly sliced red onions with EVOO and ACV drizzled over.

This also works well with added bacon and/or avocado, cucumber & boiled beets.

You could also do a potato salad with some home-made mayo - just chopped boiled spuds, onion, bacon & freshly ground pepper in mayo.

Or some chopped kale/spinach, some pumpkin seeds & chopped strawberries with a balsamic dressing.

Endless options!!

My fav is thin shaved fennel, oil cured olives, oranges and flat leaf parsley. Toss with lemon juice, EVOO, s/p. You can also add some of the fennel fronds to boost that flavor. Very refreshing and goes with everything.

• Administrators

Instead of retyping, here's a texted recipe that my sister sent me.  It's delicious and I highly recommend toasting the walnuts with lots of salt for a a good meaty, salty hit.  And using lots of walnuts.

photo.png_zps285b5xfl.jpeg

PS.  Pilpelchuma is a spicy garlic/chili spice blend that is available at Trader Joes.  But if you don't have a TJ near you, use cayenne and some garlic powder instead.

• Moderators

They're not your traditional leafy green salads, but The Clothes Make The Girl has a lot of chopped salad options. I love her Belly Dance Beet Salad and her Sweet and Salty Broccoli Salad. I made her Tricolore Salad recently and it was good too.

Here's a link to all her salad recipes: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/category/recipes/salads/

Archived