Wow, I really love black coffee!

I just started my first Whole30 on July 1st, but I had ditched my creamer/stevia at the end of April. I drank my coffee black for years then started adding creamer/sweetener about 11 years ago. Well, the habit is broken, and my coffee consumption has actually gone UP since ditching the creamer (nothing extreme though). And now on the Whole30, without any sweeteners in any of my foods, the bitterness of black coffee tastes even better! I even tried a Cafe Americano at Starbucks yesterday, and it was wonderful! A tall is two espresso shots and hot water. The espresso is smooth and almost buttery. Just wanted to share.

So who else loves their black coffee??

Me !!!!....but I gave it up because it messes up my cortisol levels and steals magnesium from me

I had no idea it may have played a role in stopping my weight loss all those years

Earlier Moderator Jmcbn posted its a cycle involving insulin and if I find it I'll send the link so you can take a look okay

I still miss my coffee

Yes, I'd like to take a look at it. I've not had problems losing weight or even maintaining to a degree. I Whole30 because I have a hard time with overeating and cravings for what I consider *wicked* things.... Like Chinese or pizza buffets. They are ok sometimes, but I've been indulging wayyy too much.

That said, sorry to hear you had to give up something you love, but for your health's sake, it's good that you were willing. Have you ever tired any of is natural coffee-type substitutes?

Me!  I used to love creamer.  Loved it so much that the tag line for my coffee drinking was "I'd like a little bit of coffee in my creamer".  Yes, I had a problem.  However, since I got some really good coffee in the house (Starbucks Pike Place and Trader Joe's Cold Pressed Coffee Concentrate), I LOVE it black.  I don't miss the creamer at all.  

Also, after my first Whole30, I tried seeing if I'd like cream in my coffee when I tried to see if I was okay to have dairy.  It made the coffee taste horrible. So, in the span of a month, I went from "must have cream" to "ewww cream".  It was really cool and I don't miss the cream at all.

I've discovered that I like black coffee. Prior to my Whole30, I drank it with fat free half and half and sugar. I was so excited after about 5 days in when I started enjoying it black. I now drink my tea without anything added to it as well, and enjoy it.

Also, after my first Whole30, I tried seeing if I'd like cream in my coffee when I tried to see if I was okay to have dairy. It made the coffee taste horrible. So, in the span of a month, I went from "must have cream" to "ewww cream". It was really cool and I don't miss the cream at all.

I had a similar response. Pre-Whole30, at home I'd have coffee with soy milk, and while dining out I'd have it with cream.

After my Whole30, when I did my dairy re-intro, I put half and half in my coffee and didn't like the taste at all. I had no interest in re-introducing soy (or the carrageenan that comes with soy milk).

Now, I have my coffee black all the time and enjoy it much better. It's been fun experimenting with different brands (I drink decaf only - have been for years).

I know what you mean about.  I am fine with going black. I gave up the flavored creamers several years ago.  I switched to cream and sugar, eventually stopped the sugar, and now  I have slowly weaned myself off of half and half just in time to start my first Whole 30 in a few days.  I treated myself to my free b-day coffee from the local coffee place and it just confirmed I'm not missing anything, it was overly sweet and not what I remember it being. Odd- never thought I would actually like just plain black coffee. But I've since bought better coffee as well. I've decided not to give up coffee completely as I really do enjoy the flavor. But I have found I've completely scaled back to barely a cup a day. It's fascinating to say the least. :D

I come to love black coffee too.  The secret for me was to find GOOD coffee.  I also use Crio Bru in my coffee grounds for a little chocolate flavor.  but there are times I will add coconut milk and use my frother.  I keep my coffee drinking to mornings only.

I was also one of those people who "thought" they need cream and sugar to down a cup of coffee. Don't miss it.

• Moderators

I enjoy iced coffee black. I vacillate between liking black coffee (French press is my preferred way), because I'm kind of crazy about coconut milk and (strong) coffee.

Early in my first Whole30, I had so much energy I cut back to half caf, then 1/4 caf ... now I'm at decaf Swiss water processed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no problems with black coffee, since I quit drinking brake fluid cold turkey (Army coffee)

I will promote my favorite, Organic Nutri Cafe by Enerhealth Botanicals... That being said, any convenience store coffee is better than brake fluid

I have no problems with black coffee, since I quit drinking brake fluid cold turkey (Army coffee)

I will promote my favorite, Organic Nutri Cafe by Enerhealth Botanicals... That being said, any convenience store coffee is better than brake fluid

Oh, I used to drink this ridiculously huge plastic covered cup full of black coffee on my way up to the bridge of the ship for the 0400-0800 watch. They hadn't started breakfast yet, so it was the coffee from the night before. Disgusting, but I drank every drop!

In college I put sugar in my coffee. Then at a marching band banquet (the Purdue All American Marching Band! Can I hear a "chop ho!"??) my best friend proclaimed only wusses put sugar in their coffee. I caved to peer pressure, had black coffee that night, and never looked back.

I dig a nice sweet iced coffee, but that's really easy to stay away from.

In college I put sugar in my coffee. Then at a marching band banquet (the Purdue All American Marching Band! Can I hear a "chop ho!"??) my best friend proclaimed only wusses put sugar in their coffee. I caved to peer pressure, had black coffee that night, and never looked back.

I dig a nice sweet iced coffee, but that's really easy to stay away from.

Actually a GOOD kind of peer pressure!!

• 3 weeks later...

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

I enjoy iced coffee black. I vacillate between liking black coffee (French press is my preferred way), because I'm kind of crazy about coconut milk and (strong) coffee.

I just discovered the French Press and love,love,love it.

Ultrarunnergirl, I hope this copy/paste worked :)  If not, I guess I have no clue on howto do it :huh:

• Moderators

looks like it did not look like the others who care a post to their reply.  i guess I will stay with what I know how to do,

Hi, KathyV -- to quote someone's post in a reply, if you look at their post, down at the bottom, under the Like This button, there's a place where it says Quote -- click that, and it will automatically put their whole post down in the Reply to this topic space at the bottom of the screen. You can click inside the quoted stuff and delete stuff if you want to just address one part of the post (just be sure you don't delete the very beginning before their name or the very end after their last word or it will mess up the formatting). Click below the quoted stuff in the blank space of the Reply box and type your reply, then click Post.

Hi, KathyV -- to quote someone's post in a reply, if you look at their post, down at the bottom, under the Like This button, there's a place where it says Quote -- click that, and it will automatically put their whole post down in the Reply to this topic space at the bottom of the screen. You can click inside the quoted stuff and delete stuff if you want to just address one part of the post (just be sure you don't delete the very beginning before their name or the very end after their last word or it will mess up the formatting). Click below the quoted stuff in the blank space of the Reply box and type your reply, then click Post.

ShannonM816  Thanks!   That was too easy!  ((HUGS)) to you!  now I have to work on the deleted stuff.  I tried but it did not work.  I am a work in progress.  Maybe I need some black coffee to stimulate my brain cells!

Archived