Grumpy on Gluten....Reintro Question

Hey all!!

So....I recently underwent my day of gluten reintro.....a homemade bagel w/homemade almond butter for breakfast, and a fish taco on a flour tortilla for lunch. I'm not gonna lie, that bagel kicked ass. Haha. The taco was just kinda "meh." No forseeable stomach or digestive issues, which is cool. In fact, come dinnertime, I didn't even want anything else carb-y anymore, since that already felt like overload to me. I did notice some brain fogginess, tho, as well as my blood sugar declining more rapidly (hence some moodiness/bitchiness going on....anyone else?! Haha). Also...I feel like the more severe/long term effect is that, now that I'm back to Whole 30 compliance again after that reintro, my carb flu/sugar dragon is slowly trying to rear it's ugly head. Eek! It almost feels as tho I just started the W30 and am going thru those withdrawls again (tho not so severely this time). What the heck? From JUST a bagel and a small flour tortilla?! Geeze. Anyone else have similar psychological reactions?  

I'm grateful for them, tho....means the Whole 30 really DOES work, and now I'm able to see first hand why it's crucial to avoid those kinds of foods. Talk about addicting! 

• Administrators

Oh, absolutely!  Grains (even the gluten free ones in the form of gluten free bread or wraps) makes me depressed, anxious, irritable and angry.  For days.  

If I have one thing a couple times a year it's fine.  But give me a loaf of GF bread and almond butter and you should probably lock up anything sharp that I could harm myself or others with.  ;)  

Also, my sugar dragon lays in wait and I generally cannot eat bread or wraps without wanting/needing to smother them in AB & jam or honey so it's a really terrible situation all around.

Bread is crack for me...no matter how you slice it.    

One crust, one crumb and I'm bummed.  I sit and stare into the bathroom sink while I'm just sitting on the ole thunder mug....running water down the sink, tears streaming down my face.   It doesn't matter if it's GF...it's the highly engineered to be craved grains.   Ancient grains?  Ditto.  Who really knows if it was last year's grain crop or from the land of Noah.   Marketing.  

Yup. Grains (all of 'em) make me anxious, apathetic, angry, and an absolute nightmare to be around. I don't go there by choice, and I know all about if I go there by accident... I wake up with a food hangover that doesn't shift for days. I like the grain free me much, much better.

Wow. Crazy stuff. Thanks for all of the feedback everybody. Just reintroduced gluten free oats today now to see how those feel. As much as I love oatmeal, it really wasn't as great as I thought it was going to be when I tasted it. AND....even with gluten free, I seemed to be anxious, tired and irritable. Looks like it's adios to all grains! (Except perhaps sushi on special occasion! :))

Archived