Carrageenans in my toothpaste :(

Kinneret

I did a Google search for Whole30 toothpaste but didn't see an answer.  Should I switch toothpaste?  This is the only ingredient that is "no-no".  I know I'm not ingesting it by eating the toothpaste, but it does go in my mouth 2x each day and get absorbed a bit (I think!).

• Moderators

Your toothpaste is fine, unless you decide to start eating it.  ;)

I'm not sure you'll be able to find a toothpaste that doesn't have something non-compliant in it. Almost all have some sort of sweetener to make them taste better, and carrageenan is pretty common too. If you're really concerned, go ahead and use what you have, and start doing some research to see what other options are out there -- but any toothpaste is okay for Whole30.

As Shannon said, you can have any kind of toothpaste that you want.

Personally, I found one that is compliant: Weleda Salt toothpaste. But found it kind of harsh and eventually stopped using it.

Now I use Redmond Clay toothpaste which has xylitol, but it otherwise free of bad stuff. It's pretty good, although it does leave weird brown residue in the sink.

I have learned recently that the toothpaste doesn't really do anything--it's the brushing that is important--so you can skip toothpaste if you want. I just happen to like that "minty fresh" feeling, lol  :) a drop of a mint essential oil might do the trick.

Archived