July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

Just love reading about all the great things people are experiencing or discovering about themselves. That is why I love this program so much. I really can't say I've experienced anything new or different the second time around with the way I feel, (I feel just as great), but it's definitely easier mentally the second time around, and it has gone so fast! Last time I think I went about 10 more days after finishing staying complaint because I was "afraid" to reintroduce any foods thinking I would somehow lose control. I eventually did add back one meal here and there and I never felt like any food really affected me in a negative way physically, but I'm not sure if I ate enough of any of the eliminated food groups to really know if they did. I still haven't had any bread since the end of April, don't really miss it, but I do think this time around I will really try to do a proper "reintroduction" . 

Hang in there Everyone... Happy Hump Day!!

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I woke up this morning and had this earworm:  It's the EYE OF THE TIGER, it's the THRILL of the FIGHT, rising up to the challenge of our RIVALS...

Hope you all are having an AWESOME WEEK!!  My meals have been not as green (and sometimes only 2x a day as I get back into the rhythm of school),  yet, I am committed to go the distance.  I've planned to prep better this weekend now that I've been reminded of the pace of being in session. 

Blessings!!

Day 24 - wow! Hope everyone is hanging in there. I am scared of the reintroduction phase too. I don't think I will ever eat gluten voluntarily again and maybe not even grains. I was already dairy free, soy free and sugar free before the Whole30 so I know gluten and/or grain were the cause of my bloat and never feeling quite 100%. I do want to try beans because I love garbanzo beans but am not in any hurry. Now peanut butter is another story...I look at it everyday in the fridge and long for it.  :unsure:

Hi all! Such great updates!

I'm doing well. I have steady energy and mood all day long now. My husband had noticed and has become super supportive of the Whole30. I think he is impressed both in the changes he sees in me, and the delicious food I'm eating. He even has started cooking from my cookbooks saying it all just tastes so great!

I don't think he's ready to give up beer, but maybe someday he will for 30 days.

As far as reintroduction, I'm not sure I need it. All I want is to be a little less hyper vigilant about traces of sugar in things. I made this amazing stew with grass fed beef only to discover that the beef stock concentrate had a tiny amount of added sugar. WTF!?! Why does beef stock need sugar?!? So, I didn't eat it, but I froze a bunch, and I'll eat it after the 30 days are up.

I thought cheese would be the first thing I would want to reintroduce, but it turns out I am fine without it. I realize also that I didn't have a lot of "brakes" with cheese.

I realize it's a little late in the process to be asking this, but did anyone else have issues finding canned or pouch tuna without soy in it?  I'm really not a big fish eater, but I enjoy lettuce wraps with tuna salad (especially since I learned how to make amazing mayo myself!), but I haven't had any tuna because it says soy is one of the two ingredients...what's up with that?

The "Kirkland chunk light skipjack tuna in water" at Costco is also compliant. I haven't seen the Wild Planet here. Before I discovered the Kirkland option I found one of the name brands at the grocery store that worked. It was in a gold can and relatively expensive.

Day 24 - wow! Hope everyone is hanging in there. I am scared of the reintroduction phase too. I don't think I will ever eat gluten voluntarily again and maybe not even grains. I was already dairy free, soy free and sugar free before the Whole30 so I know gluten and/or grain were the cause of my bloat and never feeling quite 100%. I do want to try beans because I love garbanzo beans but am not in any hurry. Now peanut butter is another story...I look at it everyday in the fridge and long for it.  :unsure:

You must be a soul sister--I had a dream about peanut butter last night.  And I never ate it that often--it was just my go-to in times of craving sweet/salty (and milkshake!).  : )  We'll have to find an alternate 'butter'...

You must be a soul sister--I had a dream about peanut butter last night.  And I never ate it that often--it was just my go-to in times of craving sweet/salty (and milkshake!).  : )  We'll have to find an alternate 'butter'...

I do like almond butter a lot but for some reason peanut butter takess first place!

Day 26 and I have a little of that attitiude well, 26 days is enough but I know it is not and there is no reason to "end" this. Just excited to get to day 30 I guess! :)

I echo some of the sentiments about reintroduction. I am interested to see how I react to some of the foods - mainly legumes and non-gluten grains like oats, rice and quinoa. Dairy and I have been fighting for years, so I have no need to reintroduce it. Gluten is something I'm on the fence about. I like the idea of not avoiding something like soy sauce or Worcestershire because of it, but when I think about many of the other gluten products, I realize they are a slippery slope.

I think I would like to keep the main principles of this program, but - as was mentioned before - not have to avoid everything with added sugar. I feel relieved my boyfriend will only be on day 15 when I finish so I have continued structure with meal planning. But, I'm also heading into a really busy time at work (i.e. 16 hour days) and will appreciate being able to have a smoothie on the go.

Unrelated to reintroduction, tomorrow will be a big test for me. It's my first catered event. We're attending a friend's wedding. It's very small and at a restaurant, so I feel confident we will be fine food-wise. The bride knows and isn't fussed about the food but is disappointed about the no alcohol part.  I just remind myself that if I were currently pregnant or on medication, no one would think twice about the alcohol. The positive side for me is that I can drive home from the wedding and save money ;) 

So 2 more dates I had some events out this weekend and really wanted to kick back with my friends and have a few drinks. I just remember the book saying that day 28 is not day 30 and that sticking with this commitment is important. I agree. I have had so many diet and food plans fails previously that this feels great to be completing.

I am flying out for a funeral service for 4 days starting on Thursday, which us just when the reintroduction starts. It will be tough because we'll most likely be eating meals at the family house and I think it will be tough to only add one group at a time back. Alcohol first though!

So day 28 done and I'm not feeling much different. I don't have any hangry moments and my moods are more even but my energy level is so-so and I haven't lost any weight. I woke-up today dizzy and felt a migraine coming on. Then went back to bed and slept most of the day. Now, some of this energy issue could very well be related to my Lyne Disease but I was hoping this would help my body fight it off for good. Kinda bummed but still going. I may reintroduce wine but not much else. I think my body needs more time.

One more day to go!  I wanted to share what I have noticed so far:

1. The acne on my chin has cleared up,
  2. no change to the eczema at the base of my hair and behind my ears, yet, 
  3. my mid-section is a little less bloated,
  4. I don't experience as much gas or acid reflux.

I wasn't really expecting real big differences since it's only 30 days.  I'm anxious to see if I've lost weight, I do feel slimmer but I might just wait until after the reintroduction phase to weigh myself.  My blood sugar reading seemed to be the same but again it takes more time.  The fact that I've not had any sugary drinks, snacks, liguor or sugar in my coffee is a major accomplishment.  Also, not having any bread items since I was a certified breadaholic.  I may go back to some whole wheat bread as I do feel some constipation.

I haven't been as adventurous with the cooking yet.  My favorite breakfast is sautéed onions, red bell peppers, tomatoes and spinach topped by a couple over-easy eggs and half an avocado. The favorite new products I like are:  

• organic Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter), 
  • unsweetened Silk Almond/Coconut blend in the carton, will try it with cereal during reintroduction,
  • Spectrum organic Coconut oil for cooking,
  • 365 Coconut water,
  • Native Forest unsweetened organic Coconut milk (richer consistency than other brands),
  • Muir Glen Salsa,
  • Frontera salsa,   

I hope that everyone else will continue to hang in there.  I truly believe I needed this wake up call to get me back to eating correctly.

Last day!  Last day!  I'm super proud of accomplishing this 30 day goal!  The most difficult thing to believe is that I haven't chewed gum for a month.  I will integrate that back in much smaller amounts....whoever recommended those WOW! drops was genius.  It is a blast of straight peppermint to the face and not only freshens breath, but also clears sinuses ;).

My husband is very anxious for me to weight myself--he's apparently noticed a difference, and he's had a much more challenging time with no scales than I have!  My clothes are definitely much looser, although I still feel there is some work to be done.  I have a back injury so I didn't go head-first into a work out regime during my whole 30--just tried to be more active/walk more.  Now that I've dropped some weight, I'm motivated to integrate some body weight exercises and maybe have more of a fitness plan going forward.  Overall, I'm happy with the NSV enough to call this experience a win!

I got my favorite bottle of Pinot Noir ready in the wings, and my birthday is next week, so I'm sure I'll experiment with some off plan meals, but I'm ready to stay grain-free and mostly sugar and dairy free.  Hoping to reach my goal of fitting into old clothes by December.  :)

I hope everyone has a great last day!

Day 31!!

Last night I had to go back to the W30 book to 'tame' those wild fantasies about what I would eat today. 

I realized, it is just another day of clean eating.  I am GOOD with that because I get glimpses of that energy and confidence I had about 5 years ago when I was able to do 10k and not think a thing of it.  I ate clean then and I eat clean now.  It is SO worth the reminders of that woman that looked herself in the eye and felt GREAT about life--about the way my mind, body and soul WORKED best.  I did 4k the other  night, and it was tough, but I know that I am on the RIGHT road now and a few changes make the biggest difference for where I will be in 5 years!

YOU ALL ARE SO AWESOME!!!  I know I repeat myself, yet your posts and reinforcement were the bridge when my willpower felt like it might come up a bit short!  Thank you ALL!! 

I'm going on to a W60.  Anyone else?

Day 30! We made it and it was not that difficult. I do not have any desires to run out and eat anything special - I want to continue this way of eating forever. I ran my first 10K Sunday (day 28) and finished in 1:06 which surpassed my goal. I feel great and recovery after intense workouts is so minimal - I love not feeling sore and stiff. I also lost 8 lbs. and lost my muffin top. 

I have been listening to Paleo podcasts and reading paleo stuff. I kick myself for not investigating this lifestyle sooner! Congrats everyone and Great job!!!

Day 31 for me.

- hangry is a thing of the past

- calm, even moods

- pretty sure the warts on my knee are about to fall off

- my skinny jeans need a belt to hold them up

- people asking what I'm doing because I look so good

- lost 5 lbs (I should have done measurements!)

Keep in mind I had already been Paleo eating for 2 years... only the honey, maple syrup, and hard cider consumption was constantly creeping up. Other that weighing myself, I've kept on plan today. Maybe I'll keep going and do a Whole60... or does the weigh-in preclude that?

Day 30! We made it and it was not that difficult. I do not have any desires to run out and eat anything special - I want to continue this way of eating forever. I ran my first 10K Sunday (day 28) and finished in 1:06 which surpassed my goal. I feel great and recovery after intense workouts is so minimal - I love not feeling sore and stiff. I also lost 8 lbs. and lost my muffin top. 

I have been listening to Paleo podcasts and reading paleo stuff. I kick myself for not investigating this lifestyle sooner! Congrats everyone and Great job!!!

Congrats on your first 10k. That's awesome!!

Yay we made it!!! I am so proud of myself and all of you who stuck with it. I can't believe it's Day 30 already!! I'm definitely gonna keep going with my clean eating. I haven't been working out at all the past month outside of a few hikes here and there so I think it's time to start again. I don't notice my clothes fitting any different. Maybe it's all the sweet potatoes I eat during breakfast. Love me some sweet potatoes!! I am less bloated, I still have headaches but they are less than before, my skin looks better, and my hangry moods are gone. I never feel hungry between meals so I must be doing something right. I am looking forward to finally doing a winery tour I've been putting off for two months while I'm living here in WA (only a month left). Other than that I'm sticking to this new way of eating. The past two weeks there were cakes and cookies everyday in the break room at work and I didn't have any! Today people kept saying how amazing this cake was that someone brought in and I didn't cave. Huge victory!!!!

Archived