July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

Day 5 was yesterday and went good. I Still haven't wanted to kill all things - I guess that is good. I have noticed I am having very vivid dreams- can't recall the last time I had happy and vivid dreams. I know my sleep has improved greatly. Today is Day 6 and I feel amazing and full of energy.

Day 5 meals:

B: Sweet potato cooked in olive oil with eggs and spinach. Pineapple, strawberries and almond butter.

L: Paleo chicken soup. carrots/celery sticks and tomato - avocado salad. 

D: Leftover green bean, grass fed beef saute. Salad with olives. Beets.

Day 6 meals so far:

B: Apple sausage sauteed with spinach, onions and potato and sweet potato. Strawberries and some hazelnuts.

L: Large salad with lettuce, roast peppers, tomatoes, pepperoncini, jalapenos, red cabbage, onion, avocado and roast beef. Strawberries. Carrot and celery sticks. 

Dinner will be pork chops and pineapple, plus marinated/grilled zucchini. Will make some guacamole for my fat.

Hey! I am glad I am not the only one who hasn't had the kill all things feeling. I went from a bit tired and fatigued (recovery is still taking a bit long after runs and workouts). To having great steady energy. My skin is already cleared up and bloating is gone.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5:

Meal 1: Turkey Meatballs and Pistachios (figuring out which veggies I can have- figured out that raw veggies are killing my digestive system)

Meal 2: Egg Muffins and Blueberries

Meal 3: Ground Beef Burger and Sliced Baked Sweet Potatoes

Meal 4: Blueberries and Almond Butter

Activity: P90x3 Accelerator Workout

Water- 100 oz

Day 6:

Meal 1: Made my first sunnyside up egg and had one egg, Diced sweet potatoes, and chicken sausage

Meal 2: Emergency That's It bar while shopping

Meal 3: Grilled Chicken, Roasted Red Potatoes (limiting white potatoes to once a week) and a big spinach salad

Meal 4: Banana and almond butter

Activity: P90x3 Yoga (felt amazing, I have noticed that my recovery is very slow) and a 3 miles run outdoors- Florida summers stink

Water- 100 oz

I am so pumped for the next week.

Day 5:

Meal 1: Turkey Meatballs and Pistachios (figuring out which veggies I can have- figured out that raw veggies are killing my digestive system)

Meal 2: Egg Muffins and Blueberries

Meal 3: Ground Beef Burger and Sliced Baked Sweet Potatoes

Meal 4: Blueberries and Almond Butter

Activity: P90x3 Accelerator Workout

Water- 100 oz

Day 6:

Meal 1: Made my first sunnyside up egg and had one egg, Diced sweet potatoes, and chicken sausage

Meal 2: Emergency That's It bar while shopping

Meal 3: Grilled Chicken, Roasted Red Potatoes (limiting white potatoes to once a week) and a big spinach salad

Meal 4: Banana and almond butter

Activity: P90x3 Yoga (felt amazing, I have noticed that my recovery is very slow) and a 3 miles run outdoors- Florida summers stink

Water- 100 oz

I am so pumped for the next week.

If you're having digestive issues then I'd recommend stepping away from the nuts & nut butters until things ease for you - both are notoriously hard on the digetsive system and are an inferior fat source. Try home made mayo, guacamole, coconut milk, olives etc instead.

Also, any type of bar is for emergency use only - food shopping is not an emergency, but rather an ideal opportnity to get yourself some real food...  ;)

If you're having digestive issues then I'd recommend stepping away from the nuts & nut butters until things ease for you - both are notoriously hard on the digetsive system and are an inferior fat source. Try home made mayo, guacamole, coconut milk, olives etc instead.

Also, any type of bar is for emergency use only - food shopping is not an emergency, but rather an ideal opportnity to get yourself some real food...  ;)

Thanks, jmcbn. It wasn't food shopping. It was errand running and buying non-food items. I will definitely monitor nut v. non-nut days, as I am completing this to see what aggravates my system and what does not.

Hello All... Happy Day 7!!  I was tested all weekend.  My daughter turned 8 on Friday and had a houseful of kids overnight.  That included pizza and soda, cheese crackers and sweets.  In the morning I made them all cinnamon rolls and a lot of fruit and juices.  I washed my hands constantly while preparing all this food to make sure I didn't lick my fingers by "accident." :o Dinner last night at her favorite Mexican restaurant and I didn't touch one chip and then off to the local family fun amusement park and we passed on all the fair food.  I am proud to say I didn't tell myself that just one bite or sip would be OK.  I was tested and passed them all!!  I do feel a bit more energetic parts of the day and tired at other times.  I think is just the first step to the big change!!  Hoping for some loser fitting clothes soon too :)Planning my shopping for the week now and a day of preparing.  I am looking forward to starting week 2.  Hope you all have a great day!!

M1 - Sausage w/ cooked cabbage, grapes

M2 - Hamburger w/ lettuce, tomatoS, onion, pickle, half baked potato w/ clarified butter

M3 - Chicken, beef, shrimp fajitas w/ peppers/onions/tomatoes, pico and guacamole and lettuce

S - grapes

Hi everyone! Hope you're all feeling well one week in, I think that went pretty fast! 

I'm logging my meals elsewhere on the forums but I'll share here as well:

day 6:

M1: 3 fried eggs on a bed of spinach, coconut milk coffee

M2: canned salmon cakes with homemade mayo tartar sauce AND baba ghanoush and sliced cucumbers, dried mangos

M3: an entire pint of raspberries and some rotisserie chicken, more baba ghanoush 

I know there's not enough veggies here but there's a couple things I want to point out-

-canned salmon is an awesome (inexpensive!) thing to keep in the pantry so you always have a great protein on hand! Salmon cakes (mixed with egg, scallions, almond flour, and salt and pepper and sauteed in olive oil) are so good with tartar sauce (homemade mayo and mcclures relish)

-baba ghanoush with sliced cucumbers is such a great way to get more veggies on your plate when you don't feel like cooking or eating a salad!

I put an eggplant on my grill while I was grilling something else, then left it on there after I turned the grill off. When the inside was completely soft, I peeled off the skin and mixed the whole thing with 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 lemon's juice, a drizzle of olive oil and a spoonful of tahini and salt and pepper! Definitely want to make another batch for lunches next week! 

Going to work on some menu planning and then I'll do a thorough cleaning in my kitchen, I agree with everyone, it's definitely a lot to keep up with!!

I shopped yesterday to prepare for this week. Bought chicken and scallops. I need a break from ground beef! Today Im making carnitas, recipe from theClothesthatmakethegirl.com That website has been so helpful!! Small changes Ive noticed is less bloat in stomach and skin clearing up. Why didnt I do this sooner??

Hello Gang, 

Sorry I was MIA for a few days but sometimes life gets in the way - lol. Really enjoy reading all the food posts as I am getting meal ideas that I would never think of and since one of my goals this time around is to add variety -  it is very helpful! Having recently done the whole30 as well as as a slow reintro I do know that I am only really sensitive too artificial and processed foods. That being said, since finishing the whole 30 in the end of may I really continued to eat mostly compliant foods except for adding an occasional dairy or grain. I had one week, the week prior to restarting this round, where I was starting to make some poor choices and that was what prompted me to redo another round. I should also add that I have lost 42 since starting this whole food life style but more importantly I feel like for the first time in my life I know how to eat, I know what works, and I have no desire to eat any other way. I'm sharing all this today to hopefully help anyone who is doubting this process or anyone struggling to get thru  Believe me if I can do this .... you can too!!

Happy Sunday!!

With my niece visiting, I am behind posting.  Yesterday we went shopping for the day while the guys climbed Pikes Peak.

Day 6: 

B:  eggs, bacon, berries, hot tea

L:  salad with shrimp, grapes, mango, lettuce, peppers, balsamic dressing, ice tea

D:  well fed chili, sweet potato, carrots, ranch, water

Crew had Old Chicago Deep Dish Pizza...was able to have my dinner and be ok (I really do love pizza though).  

So far Day 7:

B:  Eggs, sausage, bacon, peach, hot tea (made kids french toast and was fine not having any)

Headed to the store in a few minutes to replenish fridge.  Amazing how quick I go through produce and meats.  I am going to fix Well Fed chili again for lunches this week, Pad Thai (Well Fed), the Pork Ribs (Well Fed), and the Zucchini Ginger Soup (Well Fed).  Almost one week down and feeling pretty good.  I think my stomach is less bloated and waking up on my own pretty early each morning feeling good.  That will help once the boys start school in a couple of weeks.

Hope everyone else had a good first week.  

Happy end of the first week, everyone! 

Yesterday was my crazy travel/test taking day.  My meals got a little messed up--I ended up doing breakfast and dinner, but the middle of the day was more like 3 snacks instead of one meal.  Everything I ate was compliant though, and I figure one day of being adaptable isn't going to hinder my progress.  I'm still struggling with daily very mild headaches, but my energy levels seem to be improving--my husband even commented on it :).  One big NSV is that we eat at home ALL THE TIME!  We have traditionally eaten out for dinner at least 3-4 days each week, and that gets expensive!  Starting Whole 30 was kind of like declaring that laziness is no longer an option.  Plus, the stuff I'm making tastes better than most restaurants ;P.

Here's the break down:

Day 6:

B-leftover chicken hash with sweet potato and apple

S-3 hardboiled eggs, raw broccoli and carrot with whole 30 ranch

S-handful of raspberries and blueberries and walnuts

S-chicken sausage and butternut squash soup

D-hot "wings" (which were actually legs--I'm testing football party compliant foods ;)), celery and carrot sticks, more ranch

Day 7:

B-whole 30 spinach frittata, sugar-free bacon, 1/2 mango

Just keep an eye on your nut butter intake as it is a FWOB for a lot of people, and if eaten daily can negatively impact your digestive system.

For the cravings try some kind of a distraction technique - make a mug of herbal tea, go for a walk, rearrange your DVD collection - anything to keep your mind off it - it's temporary & will pass.

Be sure you're eating adequate protein & fat intake to stamp those cravings out.

Thanks, I will be mindful to keep my intake of cashew butter to just a couple times a week. I wasn't a huge PB fan before this program so it's not a worrisome thing for me. I mainly just used it in my nutrition shakes prior to the program.

Day 7 - Has anyone else felt like the week has gone by both quickly and slowly at the same time?

I realized today that I compartmentalize my day into meals and between meals. Like, what can I get done between breakfast and lunch today, or when do I need to time my meals so we can make the movie and I won't be hungry?

I noticed a few others were tested recently, and, while I wasn't at a birthday party around accessible food, I was proud of how I was during visits to a few coffee shops filled with baked goods and started to see these treats as they are - which is... always there. It sounds ridiculous, but I have always had some unreasonable sense of urgency with treats and sweets. It was always as if I needed them 'right now' as if it would be the last thing I would ever eat. But, watching them sit there I realized, sure, they look good, and I'm sure they taste good, but they will always be available, and they aren't special - like the book points out. And, after the 30 days and re-introduction, I'm hopeful that I can continue to recognize when something is special vs. always available. 

Another thing that has been helpful for me is drinking tea. I've tried a few new herbal or white teas that are amazing without any added sugar or milk. I found one through Teavana called Youth Berry by accident when Starbucks was out of green tea. It not only doesn't need to be sweetened, but it smells amazing! I went out to the store and got some for home. Also, when I'm out with others, I just order tea. When their bills are $30+ from alcoholic drinks, and mine is $2.10, it's an added bonus :) 

Good morning all!  Today is Day 9 for me - still flirting with that morning headache that WILL NOT GO AWAY.  Anyway, yesterday's eats were:

Breakfast: Two eggs fried in ghee, steamed broccoli on the side

Lunch: Steak salad with chopped peaches, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes and coconut chips

Dinner: Grilled tuna steaks with cucumber noodle salad with a ginger lime dressing (this is my new obsession - let me know if anyone wants the recipe!)

Happy Monday!

Good morning all!  Today is Day 9 for me - still flirting with that morning headache that WILL NOT GO AWAY.  Anyway, yesterday's eats were:

Breakfast: Two eggs fried in ghee, steamed broccoli on the side

Lunch: Steak salad with chopped peaches, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes and coconut chips

Dinner: Grilled tuna steaks with cucumber noodle salad with a ginger lime dressing (this is my new obsession - let me know if anyone wants the recipe!)

Happy Monday!

I wonder if you're not eating enough...

Your breakfast is very light on protein, and your meals look small to me in general. I'd say that you could do with more fat too as much of what you cook with stays in the pan.When eggs are your only source of protein you should be eating as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand - I'm small and I can hold 4 on a good day so I'm sure you can manage more than 2. It's hard to pull back from a poor breakfast, and with the cumulative effect that food has on us your body could well be telling you that it needs more - of everything.

Try adding a bit more of everything & ensure you're drinking adequate water (the recommendation is for half an ounce of water per pound of body fat) and see how you go from there.

Hi there!  I'm positive I am eating enough at lunch and dinner - the salad was HUGE with a lot of steak  and so was my piece of tuna and my pile of noodles.  I had a banana with dinner too - forgot that part!   I hear you on breakfast - I have never been a breakfast person and it's been a challenge to eat the two eggs.  Maybe I can figure out another portable protein to have with the eggs - suggestions gratefully appreciated.  And I'm drinking water like a champ.  The headaches (which I have had from Day 2) are tough - I go to bed feeling fine and wake up with one every morning.  It goes away by lunchtime but it makes for a rough morning, every day.  :(

As for the fat, another moderator told me that if I was having eggs, I didn't need to add another fat?  My lunch had both coconut chips and some olive oil in it, and the dinner had a dressing on the noodles that was olive oil, ginger and lime juice.  Is that not enough?  Thanks for the advice!

Personally I always add another fat source to my eggs, regardless of what they've been cooked in - usually a half an avocado - but it's something you can play around with. Is breakfast keeping you satiate for 4-5hrs? If it's not then you're really not eating enough.

As for other portable protein options I'm a fan of tinned fish - mackerel, salmon, tuna, & sardines.... all really good for you, and all affordable.

You could also switch your fruit for a starchy carb & see how you fare with that - nutritionally superior, more satiating, and *may* help with that persistent headache.

How are your sleep/stress levels?

Personally I always add another fat source to my eggs, regardless of what they've been cooked in - usually a half an avocado - but it's something you can play around with. Is breakfast keeping you satiate for 4-5hrs? If it's not then you're really not eating enough.

As for other portable protein options I'm a fan of tinned fish - mackerel, salmon, tuna, & sardines.... all really good for you, and all affordable.

You could also switch your fruit for a starchy carb & see how you fare with that - nutritionally superior, more satiating, and *may* help with that persistent headache.

How are your sleep/stress levels?

Breakfast is keeping me full until lunch, but I never was a breakfast person before Whole 30 (I don't really get hungry until lunch) so this is my first time eating breakfast on a regular basis.  Not sure I can face fish first thing in the morning.  I was having some almonds with my eggs, but the other moderator said that almonds with every breakfast was not a good idea, and the eggs were enough in terms of fat.  I'm really struggling with this meal as you can see.

Are there other starchy carbs besides potatoes?  Happy to try that and would love suggestions.  I am sleeping well, and not particularly stressed.  It's just so ironic because one of my main motivators for doing the Whole 30 was to see if it helped with my migraines, which I get several times a month.  Haven't  had a migraine yet, but now I have daily regular headaches!  But I'm going to see it through.  Thanks for your help!

Breakfast is keeping me full until lunch, but I never was a breakfast person before Whole 30 (I don't really get hungry until lunch) so this is my first time eating breakfast on a regular basis.  Not sure I can face fish first thing in the morning.  I was having some almonds with my eggs, but the other moderator said that almonds with every breakfast was not a good idea, and the eggs were enough in terms of fat.  I'm really struggling with this meal as you can see.

Are there other starchy carbs besides potatoes?  Happy to try that and would love suggestions.  I am sleeping well, and not particularly stressed.  It's just so ironic because one of my main motivators for doing the Whole 30 was to see if it helped with my migraines, which I get several times a month.  Haven't  had a migraine yet, but now I have daily regular headaches!  But I'm going to see it through.  Thanks for your help!

Yep, almonds every day would not be a good idea as they're notoriously hard on the digestive system and, yes, some people do fine on the fat contained in the yolk of their eggs. That said it really is hard to go overboard on healthy fats so adding something extra wouldn't do you any harm, and it may well help as it's the fat in the meal that gives you that longevity to last til lunch.

Starchy veg - squash, pumpkin, turnip, plantains, carrots, rutabaga & all varieties of potatoes, The starch will help with your moods, but can also help with the transition from the old diet to the new if your old diet was pretty carb dense. You can cut back again once things are sorted if you like - start with a fist sized serving & see how you go from there.

Could you not eat leftovers for breakfast? Many dishes taste good warm or cold so all you need is a fork & a tupperware...

Day 7 in the books and Today is Day 8. I feel so great - I keep wondering if I am doing it wrong as I am not necessarily feeling things according to the timeline. My sleep has improved and what a world of difference that makes in the day and my energy! I have been drinking 2 cups of coffee instead of 4.

Day 7 meals:

B: Leftover pork chop, pineapple and green beans with almonds.

L: Large salad, Grass fed burger, cucumber slices and some cantaloupe. Fat was avocado.

D: Sauteed chicken in diced tomatoes with kalamata olives over zucchini noodles.

Also ran 8 miles and my mile time was 45 seconds less than last week. I was expecting a slower time so that was a pleasant surprise.

Day 8 meals:

B: Leftover pork chop, cantaloupe, egg whites with peppers, spinach and onions.Fat was walnuts.

Lunch will be chicken and turkey bacon wrapped in lettuce leaves and beets. Going to make the mayo up to try too.

Dinner is Paleo swedish meatballs with sweet potato and almond butter and cucumber tomato salad.

Did my p90x3 workout this morning also.  

Day 7 in the books and Today is Day 8. I feel so great - I keep wondering if I am doing it wrong as I am not necessarily feeling things according to the timeline. My sleep has improved and what a world of difference that makes in the day and my energy! I have been drinking 2 cups of coffee instead of 4.

Day 7 meals:

B: Leftover pork chop, pineapple and green beans with almonds.

L: Large salad, Grass fed burger, cucumber slices and some cantaloupe. Fat was avocado.

D: Sauteed chicken in diced tomatoes with kalamata olives over zucchini noodles.

Also ran 8 miles and my mile time was 45 seconds less than last week. I was expecting a slower time so that was a pleasant surprise.

Day 8 meals:

B: Leftover pork chop, cantaloupe, egg whites with peppers, spinach and onions.Fat was walnuts.

Lunch will be chicken and turkey bacon wrapped in lettuce leaves and beets. Going to make the mayo up to try too.

Dinner is Paleo swedish meatballs with sweet potato and almond butter and cucumber tomato salad.

Did my p90x3 workout this morning also.  

Everyone experiences the Whole30 differently, and may not necessarily follow the timeline.  

Overall, what you're eating looks fine. Some items I noticed:

- Feel free to eat the WHOLE egg vs just the whites.

- Confirm that your turkey bacon is compliant

Celebrate the fact that you're feeling good and keep on truckin'  :) 

Yep, almonds every day would not be a good idea as they're notoriously hard on the digestive system and, yes, some people do fine on the fat contained in the yolk of their eggs. That said it really is hard to go overboard on healthy fats so adding something extra wouldn't do you any harm, and it may well help as it's the fat in the meal that gives you that longevity to last til lunch.

Starchy veg - squash, pumpkin, turnip, plantains, carrots, rutabaga & all varieties of potatoes, The starch will help with your moods, but can also help with the transition from the old diet to the new if your old diet was pretty carb dense. You can cut back again once things are sorted if you like - start with a fist sized serving & see how you go from there.

Could you not eat leftovers for breakfast? Many dishes taste good warm or cold so all you need is a fork & a tupperware...

I will give the leftovers a try - depends on what they are (and sometimes that is my lunch plan!)   And I can definitely work in some carrots and pumpkin - love those!  Would those be for breakfast or in general at all meals? Thanks for all the advice.    :)

Day 7 Recap

Meal 1: Ground Turkey, One Egg, and Sweet Potato Hash (my new favorite meal)

Meal 2: Grilled Shrimp, Salad with cucumbers and tomatoes, and half a baked potato

Activity: 1.5 mile run followed by an hour body pump class

Water: Well over 100 oz (i sweat my rear off at body pump)

I am feeling great. My skin is clear. All of my clothes is getting loose.

I do need suggestions in IBS friendly vegetables as I know I am not getting enough in on a daily bases.

Side note: I haven't had the yolks in eggs since freshman year in college- almost 8 years ago and I have them for the first time this week and I am in love. So glad to have found the hash recipe. Runny eggs on Sweet Potatoes is delicious!

I will give the leftovers a try - depends on what they are (and sometimes that is my lunch plan!)   And I can definitely work in some carrots and pumpkin - love those!  Would those be for breakfast or in general at all meals? Thanks for all the advice.     :)

You can have the starchy veg at any meal, although many find that if they eat it in the morning they suffer from a crash later in the day. Many other find that if they save their starchy veg for meal three it helps with sleep, so you can play around with it and see what works best for you.

As regards the leftovers you may well benefit from batch cooking on the weekend. I do most of my food prep on a Sunday so that I have a few kinds of cooked protein and a variety of cooked veg that I can mix & match with along with some fat to make a template meal.

Oh, and beetroot is another really versatile starchy veg - great in salads (especially with a bit of chopped apple & home-made mayo!), great pickle, great roasted....

I do need suggestions in IBS friendly vegetables as I know I am not getting enough in on a daily bases.

Side note: I haven't had the yolks in eggs since freshman year in college- almost 8 years ago and I have them for the first time this week and I am in love. So glad to have found the hash recipe. Runny eggs on Sweet Potatoes is delicious!

Tomatoes probaly aren't the best veg to be eating with IBS due to the skin & the seeds.

All of the starchy root veg should work well for you - beets, turnip, all varieties of potatoes, carrots, parsnips - as well as squash, and any leafy greens. Maybe stay away from cruciferous veg for a while until you see how you go, and avoid raw onions.

Oven roasted spiced sweet potato & parsnip, with compliant bacon & eggs over easy is one of my favourite sides.... :wub:

Archived