July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

Just bear in mind that fruit will restore liver glycogen stores. To become fat adapted you want to be restoring muscle glycogen stores. Starchy carbs will achieve this.

Protein will aid in muscle growth & recovery.

Soo...question:  when I was cutting pineapple the other evening and had a few bites to hold me over until dinner was ready--does this action interupt the fat adaptation?  I know it isn't a candy bar, yet the comment you posted makes me curious for better understanding of what is happening biologically. 

Thanks!

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No tiger blood yet and I'm actually feeling bloated the last few days.

Feel free to post 2-3 days worth of your food log, including portion sizes, and daily water consumption (specify if you're drinking carbonated vs. plain water) in the Troubleshooting section, and we can see if we can offer tweaks that could help alleviate your bloat. 

• Administrators

Soo...question:  when I was cutting pineapple the other evening and had a few bites to hold me over until dinner was ready--does this action interupt the fat adaptation?  I know it isn't a candy bar, yet the comment you posted makes me curious for better understanding of what is happening biologically. 

Thanks!

No, Tenacious, the couple bites of pineapple between meals one time doesn't interrupt overall fat adaptation.  What it does do though is spike your blood sugar unneccesarily.  Maybe not a huge deal since you were about to eat a proper dinner....but you don't want to get in a habit of consuming fruits between meals.  ;)

I've been offline for a few days between Summer and Fall sessions, yet have kept you all in mind/heart.

@CatInKitchener re: breakouts:  I've been using the leftover Greek yogurt in fridge for masque bc of the breakouts.  It felt SO good, the cooling.  I just hope it isn't a cheat. It calmed my skin around my hairline, which was out of control.  Hope this helps!

@Tracy_68:  Way to be resilient!!

@JeanBean:  Way to live your principles (alcohol)!!

@Susabella627:  I love the name Susabella!  Also, I do the frothy coconut oil in coffee to make it like-a-latte'  and top with cinnamon/nutmeg

@LegallyGoofy:  Hope you are feeling better!

@COBoyMom:  Glad you feel better too!

I've been sticking to the plan--17_of_30--and realized yesterday that it didn't really matter what day it was--I'd gotten comfortable with eggs for breakfast, hamburger for lunch, and eggs for supper, along with greens-greens-greens.  I enjoy cooking,  yet am just as happy to repeat meals and keep it simple.

You all are AWESOME and I am glad to be on this journey with you.  When I started, I committed to a Whole90, then over the weekend had a few dreams and craved popcorn + a peanut butter milkshake.  It surprised me that I began to plan compromises with myself.  And then I realized that it was one of those turning points, and felt proud of my integrity. 

Thank you for the continued inspiration and guidance!!

Been a couple of days since I posted.  I joined the Daily Email and that has really been helpful and encouraging.  I enjoy clicking the "I ate clean" each day  :)   

I usually eat the same breakfast each day....eggs, sausage/bacon, fruit, and hot tea.  The mornings will be hectic starting next week with the beginning of school so I like the fact I know what I am going to fix/eat.

Lunch is usually a taco salad, bowl from Chipotle if I am out and about, or well fed chili

Dinner is usually a meat and veggie.  I have found I don't feel as good eating sweet or white potatoes so that has been a great discovery.

Every once in a while I still want dessert, but not as much as I would have thought at the beginning of this journey.  

I am looking forward to the reintroduction process.  I am interested in trying different types of diary and beans to see how those make me feel.  I started this to discover my threshold with certain foods to feel my best, as well as lose some pounds.  I already know that I don't do well with gluten so that will be very rare.....maybe special occasions only.  I think I have also comes to terms with saying goodbye for good to Diet Coke.  There is nothing good about it so why add it back?  I think my other decision will be do I add back Stevia for my ice tea and hot tea.  I tolerate my hot tea and ice tea now, but don't love the taste without a little sweet.

Hope everyone is doing well.  I can't believe it is already Day 18 B)  

Lunch is usually a taco salad, bowl from Chipotle if I am out and about, or well fed chili

Just confirming that when you eat Chipotle, you get the carnitas, as that's the only compliant protein currently on the menu (even the fajita veggies aren't compliant, due to being cooked in rice bran oil). Their ingredients statement is here

For those of you looking for food ideas I want to suggest Nom Nom Paleo. Most recipes are whole 30 compliant. The Yankee Pot Roast? Amazing. The carrot cardamom soup? I'm gonna turn orange this stuff is so good. The magic wings? I have to be careful, because although it's totally compliant, it was hard for me to stop eating. SO GOOD.

Anyway, I'm staying on track. It has been a very difficult work and life week. If I were not doing this program, I'm sure I would have felt I "deserved" a treat.

Also, I'm certain I have converted to fat-burning because I went without any food for 10+ hour stretches 2 days in a row (too busy at work to eat) and felt just fine. Can you imagine that scenario with over carbsumption?

Welcome to the Weekend!! Been a bit quiet around here, hope that means everyone is doing well and getting through their whole 30. I know I am having no problems sticking to the plan, just starting to get bored with the food choices I am making and need to step it up a notch. Reading about some of the meals you guys have created is inspiring. I actually think I do better when the kids are in school because I have more time to plan and shop. Now our days are very spontaneous and there has been a lot of eating on the fly. But what I am learning is that there are no excuses, there is always a way to make a meal compliant. 

Have a great day everyone!!

27_to_27'ers:

Can you believe we have THREE (3) weeks DOWN?  It seems too easy at this point.

Just kidding.  I really really sort of wanted a peanut butter fudge milkshake the other night--it is so WT and yet so good.  Instead, I made a cup of tea.  I used a familiar brand that I'd ingredient cleared before, and had 2 cups of warm tea.  Something began to 'niggle' and so I went and read the ingredients--Natural Flavorings.  And then.  There it was.  Soy Lecithin.  I almost cried.  Then I began to think--cool, why not just go get the milkshake.  Except my brain fog had cleared enough over the past weeks that I could be logical.  I want health more than that one peanut butter milkshake.  And soy lecithin be, be, be burnt at the stake. 

This sounds dramatic, and yet, I know you know how these food dramas can go sometimes. 

I pressed on.  Tenaciously.  Hope none of you are still in the Struggle.  It is real.  And a warm chamomile honey vanilla tea sans soy lecithin sounds comforting.

Blessings to an AWESOME week of Tiger Blood!!!  RRRRHOOOARRR!

For those of you looking for food ideas I want to suggest Nom Nom Paleo. Most recipes are whole 30 compliant. The Yankee Pot Roast? Amazing. The carrot cardamom soup? I'm gonna turn orange this stuff is so good. The magic wings? I have to be careful, because although it's totally compliant, it was hard for me to stop eating. SO GOOD.

Anyway, I'm staying on track. It has been a very difficult work and life week. If I were not doing this program, I'm sure I would have felt I "deserved" a treat.

Also, I'm certain I have converted to fat-burning because I went without any food for 10+ hour stretches 2 days in a row (too busy at work to eat) and felt just fine. Can you imagine that scenario with over carbsumption?

I have made several of her recipes and they are delicious!!

Hey all, sorry I feel off the radar last week. I moved and my phone broke so I had no online access until now. I'm still on track even with all the craziness. Almost through week 3! I started back to work this past Wednesday which was a challenge but I made it. Still having a lot of cravings but staying full with my meals. Friday after work I really wanted to go eat out and have a drink but I didn't. Instead I looked at all the restaurants as I drove home and kept driving. I'm surprised by my will power throughout thus. Prior to starting the Whole 30 I had been in an eat and drink whatever I want mode since my Hawaii vacation in January. I'm not feeling the massive transformation or change yet but I know it's coming. No giving up now!

The struggle is real Tenacious T!!!! I feel great that I have gotten this far! I feel soooo much stronger than when I began. I was so freaked and unsure in the beginning. Now, I know I can handle my cravings w much more grace than before. I was the person who literally would snack on candy before bed. No more! I

Have a cup of kava kava tea and relax instead.

Her cracklin' chicken is to die for too! :) 

I cannot believe we are on day 21. This ha been the best choice nutrition wise I have ever made. I have decided to not even think about an end at this point and just keep going. I do still miss peanut butter but that is about all I miss. I did no think I could live without beans but have not missed them once. Hope everyone is going strong!

I do miss wine. And cheese. I have the food reintroduction then off for a girls long weekend then followed by another girls long weekend lol. I will be drinking at both but I really will try and watch the food and stay as compliant as possible.

I haven't had the tiger blood. I still feel bloated sometimes but I don't have cravings and I am full. So that is a good thing. I have a lot of weight to lose and a long journey ahead of me, but this last 3 weeks makes it feel doable. I spent 2 days at a friends house with drinks and cheese and chips all around me. I sipped my seltzer and ate from the veggie tray and brought olives and cashews along to have instead of the cheese. I brought my own compliant bacon and coconut milk for coffee. Luckily one of my friends is gluten free and another is doing a low carb diet so everyone was doing food things.

Week 4- bring it on!

@eterry:  WAY to go on Winning the Struggle during the move!  :rolleyes:

@Tracey_68:  Nicely done with the munching w/ friends!!  :D

These posts REALLY make a difference to me.  Even when I don't realize that I need reassurance until after I've read the post, it is nice to be in it to win it with others!! :P

@eterry: WAY to go on Winning the Struggle during the move! :rolleyes:

@Tracey_68: Nicely done with the munching w/ friends!! :D

These posts REALLY make a difference to me. Even when I don't realize that I need reassurance until after I've read the post, it is nice to be in it to win it with others!! :P

I totally agree! Its awesome being able to keep eachother on track and accountable. Knowing you all are doing it to helps keep me on track. :)

Today was awesome. I started working 8 hr days instead of 12 hour nights and I really noticed the difference in my cravings today. People were eating crap all around me and i hardly noticed until I started talking about my diet with some others. I had an awesome and very simple lunch...taco salad with homemade taco seasoning which was delicious! I couldnt believe how much i like it! It was just lettuce, meat, tomatoes, olives, and avocado and i devoured that thing like it was cake. Lol. I can tell the difference in my taste buds for sure!! Also, no cravings or hunger issues the past few days. This will definitely become my way if life plys a few glasses of wine when we are done! :)

I survived my most challenging event by far this weekend: the dinner party!  A friend was celebrating a birthday, so we had a very nice dinner and the wine and cocktails were flowing...as was the bread.  I stood by my Pellegrino and iced tea and ate all the fresh cut veggies that everyone was ignoring for bread.  I've only eaten out about 3 times in the last 3 weeks (definite NSV!), and I've noticed that if I just say to the waiter "I'm about to be really high maintenance, but I'm not eating grain, dairy, sugar, and alcohol...can you help me find something that will work?" they are usually very very helpful.  At this particular dinner party, the waitress even went to discuss it with the chef and he offered me and assortment of meals to chose from that he would make compliant for me.  

I really can't believe how great I'm feeling.  I have much more energy and my skin looks amazing.  I have virtually no sort of GI distress.  And "hangry" episodes are a thing of the past.  Yesterday I unintentionally fasted for about 12 hours as things as work got hectic and I didn't get a break.  I didn't even feel run down.  I just made dinner when I got home and went on with my day. 

It's hard to believe we have only 7 days left!  Let's crush it, ya'll! 

Wow, I feel like we're in the home-stretch. I didn't even realize how far I was until this weekend when someone asked me how many days left and I said 9!

I've been up and down over the past few days. My energy is either quite good or I'm dragging. I also still feel bloated, and I'm trying to be patient, but with just over a week left, I can't help but worry that I won't feel great on day 31. I try to calm myself because I know stressing about it won't help my GI. I think for me it will be finding the right vegetables because bloating is not new for me. 

As for recipes, I've tried the sweet potato shepherd's pie from the Whole30 book, and it was excellent. I also tried the coleslaw (with the mayo instead of oil), and it was also really good. It's a nice side dish for breakfast since I struggle most with finding veggies for breakfast. 

Wow, I feel like we're in the home-stretch. I didn't even realize how far I was until this weekend when someone asked me how many days left and I said 9!

I've been up and down over the past few days. My energy is either quite good or I'm dragging. I also still feel bloated, and I'm trying to be patient, but with just over a week left, I can't help but worry that I won't feel great on day 31. I try to calm myself because I know stressing about it won't help my GI. I think for me it will be finding the right vegetables because bloating is not new for me. 

As for recipes, I've tried the sweet potato shepherd's pie from the Whole30 book, and it was excellent. I also tried the coleslaw (with the mayo instead of oil), and it was also really good. It's a nice side dish for breakfast since I struggle most with finding veggies for breakfast. 

Spikes & slumps in energy could be due to fluctuating fat in your food, when you're eating your starchy veg, or if you're maybe snacking on fruit or bars of some descripton.

Bloating is generally caused by a number of things, namely: too many nuts, too many cruciferous veg, too much raw veg, or too much sparkling water. Sometimes adding in a fermented food like sauerkraut can help, or if you're not used to so much animal protein a digestive enzyme can help.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your typical food/liquid intake, indicating portion size, along with stress/sleep/activity levels we can take a look and maybe suggest some tweaks for you...

• Moderators

Is there any reason to avoid starchy carbs like sweet potatoes for dinner? I usually eat them for breakfast but sometimes I just want it with a certain dinner. TIA

No, you can eat them any time of day.

Some people prefer them with dinner, they find that the starchy vegetable late in the day helps them sleep better.

Archived