July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

Hi everyone. I started on 7/25, but it looks like I am the only one. Ok if I tag along with you?

I've been "mostly paleo" for 2 years, but found myself sliding quickly down the slippery slope of increasingly frequent "occasional treats." Time for a clean up, so here I am.

@ framedcooks. I had full-blown migraines on days 2-5. They're gone now. I did benefit from increasing my fat.

I got my "kill all the things" phase on day 9. A little late according to the timeline, but clearly not my normal state of being. So, I feel like I need a little help.

I'm a nurse-midwife, so work odd hours. I was up yesterday (took a nap) then went to work. So, there are more meals than normal in this 24 hour period.

M1 3 poached eggs on a bed of spinach covered in hollandaise sauce - yum!!!

M2 1 grilled chicken breast, tomato and cucumber salad from the garden with homemade vinaigrette, handful of olives

M3 grilled steelhead, 1/3 yam with ghee, handful pistachios, tomato and cucumber salad with vinaigrette

Snack - another handful of pistachios at 1:15 AM. Energy waning.

Plan M4 mini meal around 5am. More steelhead and yam with ghee.

I'll have a M5 before I go to bed in the morning. I'll post that tomorrow.

I feel like my job's disrupted sleep is not really optimal for Whole30, but doing my best!

Hi Hannahbea and welcome!  And thanks for the hopeful news on the migraines.  I'm adding some fat to my breakfasts and crossing my fingers!  

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@hannahbea- glad to have you in the group. I loved my midwife so much and have so much respect for what you do! Can't imagine that schedule (or lack of!). Also it's a tiny pic but I love your (wedding?) dress in your profile pic!

I'm in a bit of a funk mentally but otherwise doing well. I had a "screw it, let's get milkshakes" moment last night* but thankfully my husband talked me out of it and we both were happy to wake up this morning without inevitable milkshake stomach aches. :)

*Aaah just checked the timeline and I'm pretty much right on schedule (Days 10-11, The Hardest Days) :)

Cannot believe it is Day 10 already. Feeling great although yesterday's run had my legs feeling very heavy and this morning's workoout I was struggling with my usual 15 lb weights. I have enough energy - I just feel "heavy" for lack of a better word.

Day 9 meal:

B: Ground turkey with Sweet potato sautedd with spinach, almond butter and raspberries

L: Grass fed burger patty with mayo (love that paleo mayo!) on lettuce leaves, carrot sticks and cucumbers.

D: Large salad with olives and avocado, grilled chicken and pineapple

Day 10:

B: 3 eggs with sauteed spinach, peppers, onion, and half a potato. Sauteed in ghee. Cherries on side.

Lunch will be chicken salad made with the paleo mayo, grapes and celery. cucumber and tomato salad.

Dinner will be turkey meatloaf with asparagus, sweet potato, and almond butter.

I am enjoying this way of eating and so amazed that I have not needed a snack as I use to eat 5-6 small meals a day and 3 meals is leaving me very satisfied. Having such good, quality sleep puts everything else in a better place for me. 

Hope everyone else is doing well. It says Day 10 and 11 are when you think about quitting and I hope that is not the case for me or anyone else!

Hello All!!  Still going well here and feeling pretty good.  Getting together with some friends tonight to catch-up.  They are ordering take-out and having margaritas.  I am going to take my own eats/seltzer and enjoy the conversation.  Going to take a veggie tray with some homemade ranch and sunshine sauce to share :)  Hope everyone is having a great day!! 

Day 9

M1 - Leftover Thai chicken lettuce wraps, tea w/ coconut milk

M2 - Leftover meatballs/tomato sauce w/ zucchini noodles, field greens salad w/ EVOO and green beans w/ sunshine sauce

M3 - Pork chop cooked in OO/ghee, green beans w/ sunshine sauce and cherries w/ coconut milk

Day 10

M1 - Leftover pork chop, green beans w/ sunshine sauce, tea w/ coconut milk

M2 - Burger over spinach/lettuce w/ tomato, red onion and pickle w/ mustard, field greens salad w/ EVOO

M3 - Large salad w/ chicken, veggies and ranch

Thank you for the feedback!!!  You all continue to be inspiration. 

I'm between sessions and so have taken the past few days "away" from technology.

Day 10

M1:  hamburger w/ sauteed kale/chard/garlic

M2:  Sauteed kale/chard/garlic & sweet potato (I missed the protein bc it was cooking! Fail to plan, plan to fail and so forth...)  Lesson learned.

M3:  Sauteed kale/chard/garlic & sweet potato w/ slice of roasted pork roast + 1/2 baked peach (it was the 'flavor' for the roast)

Day 11

M1:  3 eggs fried in sauteed garlic + sweet potato hash

M2:  sweet potato hash + slice of roasted pork roast + backed peach/onions

It feels good to be within the Middle 30!! 

4 Me+My3, With what type of tea do you mix coconut milk? 

M2 - Burger over spinach/lettuce w/ tomato, red onion and pickle w/ mustard, field greens salad w/ EVOO

Day 10 for me. A strange day because I slept most of it recovering from my night shift.

M1 3 eggs cooked in ghee with shallots and herbs

M2 grilled steak with 1/3 yam with ghee and large pile of kale cooked in coconut milk.

That might be all I eat today, because it's 9:00 pm now and I'll be going to bed after my workout. Speaking of which, do we have to eat a post workout meal even if we have eaten within the past 2 hours?

@ abbyn thanks for the midwife shout-out! It's the best job in the world but the schedule is terrible. That is my wedding dress. It was fabulously comfy. I'll post a more recent pic when I have one that will upload. Way to get past the milkshake craving!

@eterry77 I am so impressed you are keeping this up mid-move. It puts my grumpiness about kitchen cleanup into perspective. Grass fed meat is very expensive, but worth it, I think. We bought half a cow from a rancher 1 year ago, and we still have some left. It makes it more affordable. I am going through it quickly on the whole30, though. Short ribs are going into the slow cooker tomorrow.

Over all feeling ok today. I'm attributing my fatigue to the sleep disruption. However, I am right on schedule with the bowel upset. :(

I started the on July 27th too! But I cut out wheat and dairy and most added sugar about 1 1/2 weeks prior to officially starting. It's been a crazy ride but I'm learning so much about myself, my weaknesses (sugar!), and my strength.  Oh, and also now know the value of a meal plan and what happens if I don't do it. I really wanted to start off right so I did all the preparation by taking a week to plan, shop, and clean out my kitchen before officially starting. Well, I've been doing great except for a couple of things:

1. I have a 2 year old and I keep licking my finger or putting her spoon in my mouth after it's been in something non-compliant (like yogurt or unclarified butter). I do it because it's a habit not because I wanted that food. So each time I do this, I realize it and spit it out or rinse my mouth. I didn't realize how much I did this until now, so I'm trying to have her eat more of what I'm eating. But that finger licking (especially to see if the food is too hot after I've touched it) is really hard to break!

2. I was at a salad bar on day 8 and put about 2 tablespoons of peas on my salad, totally forgetting they weren't allowed. They were so bright green and my brain thought "oh, yeah, look at these healthy guys just waiting for me to throw them like confetti on my salad."  I did notice I was a little gassy immediately afterwards and when I remembered that I shouldn't have them, it was too late!  Help! Does anyone know if I really need to start over after this episode?  (leaky gut syndrome is what primarily got me to try whole30).

2. I was at a salad bar on day 8 and put about 2 tablespoons of peas on my salad, totally forgetting they weren't allowed. They were so bright green and my brain thought "oh, yeah, look at these healthy guys just waiting for me to throw them like confetti on my salad."  I did notice I was a little gassy immediately afterwards and when I remembered that I shouldn't have them, it was too late!  Help! Does anyone know if I really need to start over after this episode?  (leaky gut syndrome is what primarily got me to try whole30).

Legumes are one of the main gut disruptors, and given that you have stomach issues I'd suggest that at the very least you add some days on at the end so that when you reintro legumes you will have had a clear 30days since their ingestion so that you get a true result.

Of course, you can start over & take the next day as your day one so that you have a clean slate for ALL your reintros..

Read this article & then decide.

Day 10 completed and all my meals today were delicious. I'm starting to get the hang of this whole cooking thing. ;) I had more energy today than normal though my recovery is slow...I'm still sore from moving out three days ago. I worked out this morning about an hour and a half after breakfast and then went on a long hike this afternoon. During the hike I had a palm size service of cashews to help keep my energy up. It's was a difficult steep hike.

M1: Sweet potato, chorizo, and egg (2) skillet with a spear of pineapple and chai tea with a splash of coconut milk. This is definitely my favorite breakfast thus far.

M2: Chicken and apple sausage sautéed with brussel sprouts and a half an avocado sliced.

M3: Pistachio, lime, and cilantro salmon with balsamic glazed brussel sprouts and five cherry tomatoes. This was my post hike recovery meal and dinner. I also had tea with a splash of coconut milk,

Bring on days 11 and 12!

Hi all!  I seem to be FINALLY out of the headache phase at Day 11 - YAHOO!  (Knocking all the wood I can find).  Yesterday's eats:

Breakfast: My usual pile of hardboiled eggs and steamed broccoli 

Lunch: Leftover steak and chicken mixed with steamed baby potatoes, sliced cherry tomatoes and lettuce, with the basic vinaigrette recipe from the Whole 30 book.  

Dinner: Tuna salad with more of the cherry tomatoes (local tomato season is heaven!), cucumber and lettuce.  Made with homemade mayo, topped with chopped cashews.

Feeling good!!!

Hello All, 

Sounds like everyone is doing great and really starting to figure themselves out. That is one of the greatest benefits of this program that you really do figure out what works for you.... no one size fits all here! I will say it is going much faster this time around and I find that I don't even really pay attention to what day I am on, which is a big change from the first time around. Heck, so far I haven't even had one pity party for myself!!! 

Keep up the good work everyone!! 

Happy :Thursday!

4 Me+My3, With what type of tea do you mix coconut milk? 

Tiesta Tea, loose leaf green tea w/ lemon peel and lemon grass.  I got it at Target.  I really like it because not too strong of a flavor but something other than water!! 

I do workout videos. Usually a 30 min HIIT video followed by a 30 min yoga/ballet/Pilates video.

When does this usually fit into your schedule? You could for-go the preWO and just add a little extra fat to the meal you eat before-hand & then go for a postWO meal of lean protein & starchy carb - a few bites of each is sufficient. Do you feel hungry on the days you do the HIIT?

So a stomach virus hit our house on Tuesday...yuck.  My 17 year old got it the worst.  My 14 year old and I got a touch starting Wednesday morning.   Husband has escaped so far. 

My meals are off due to eating when it felt like I could.

Yesterday, Day 10....

B:  Hot tea

L:   Well Fed Pad Thai

D:  Roast and sweet potato

Today, Day 11 so far

B:  Hot tea

L:  Bowl from Chipotle (steak, grilled peppers, lettuce, pico, guacamole, cilantro)

D:  Left over Pad Thai (next hour or so)

Still feel a little off....hoping to feel back to "normal" tomorrow.  Glad this hit now so boys have time to recover before school starts on the 17th.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far.

I can't believe we're 1/3rd of the way done!  I'm sooooo ready for the tiger blook though.  I feel really drained at the end of the day...like I can go to bed at 8:00 and sleep for a week.  I am waking up feeling refreshed and I have great energy in the morning, but as soon as dinner is over I'm ready for bed.  I also tend to get headaches in the evening.  I'm not sure if this is normal or not.  I haven't yet integrated any regular exercise into my routine, so maybe that is the problem....

Oh, I haven't had gum for 11 days and I'm still alive!  :)

Day 11...whoop whoop! Today I didn't necessarily wake up but got up ate breakfast and went to hike. My legs were not recovered at al, from the past two days so it was rough for the first five miles or so. Eventually my body responded and I was able to go another five without my legs feeling tight and exhausted. I only intended to do one short one or two mile hike then come back and eat but there was so much to see I kept going. As a result I skipped a real lunch but had an emergency snack on hand. Overall it was a great day totaling over 30,000 steps. When I got done I had a few slices of pineapple while I was making dinner to try and replenish my glycogen stores more quickly since nothing else seems to be working for my recovery. Here were my meals today:

M1: sweet potato, chorizo, and egg (2) skillet with a cup of chai tea with coconut milk.

M2: Lara bar and a handful of cashews.

M3: two spears of pineapple (post hiking while making dinner which took forever).

M4: Moroccan meatballs (8) with three cups of broccoli and a cup of tea with coconut milk.

Here's to hoping my recovery is quick tonigh because I have another day of hiking planned for tomorrow. Only two days left of vacation and I still on track!!

When I got done I had a few slices of pineapple while I was making dinner to try and replenish my glycogen stores more quickly since nothing else seems to be working for my recovery. 

Just bear in mind that fruit will restore liver glycogen stores. To become fat adapted you want to be restoring muscle glycogen stores. Starchy carbs will achieve this.

Protein will aid in muscle growth & recovery.

I had a rough couple of days this week. I woke up on Day 9 with a red patch on my chin. I thought it was odd but threw on some make-up and headed to work. I made a point not to touch it, but could feel it throughout the morning. At lunch, I looked in a mirror and it had turned into a blister. Aside from being embarrassed, I was a bit freaked out.

The next day I was able to see my doctor who had no idea what it was, but wasn't concerned.

Then on Day 11, I woke with two more red patches on my cheek and stayed home from work in fear of further blisters developing.

I recalled reading the 2nd week can be rocky, and I searched the forum for other face concerns. I saw a few others struggled with their skin, which was a little reassuring, but I was definitely not in a good head space.

The new patches did slowly reduce and go away by dinner. I know the skin is one of the main organs for detoxification, so I'm hoping I'm on the other side now! I've managed to stay on track with my food, so I'm proud my mood didn't sway me.

Now I need to make it through a weekend at a friend's cottage. I've got a cooler filled with meat, eggs, veggies and sunshine sauce!

Well it's been a heck of a week. We got hit with a really strong storm Tuesday am ( I live in Rhode Island), lost power for 2 1/2 days, had 2 business lunches, a work drinks party, a work dinner, and a personal dinner. I stayed strong and compliant. Drank seltzer with lime with the dinners, had grilled salmon with 2 sides of roasted veg for both lunches - I picked Legal Seafoods for both lunches as I knew I could easily eat there.

It has been a very stressful week with work colleagues in from Europe so more meetings, later nights, coming home to a dark warm house and sleeping on the couch downstairs because it was cooler. With that said and my crap frame of mind, I was able to make it work this week. I am very proud of myself that I stuck to it.

Unfortunately I had to through out almost everything in my fridge which makes it a large shopping trip tomorrow. But another opportunity to plan meals.

Anyway- whist I am finding I miss the most is milk and sugar in my coffee. I have been using the canned coconut milk with I do like, but it separates if you don't drink it right away.

I have a 50th catered birthday party tomorrow. What kind of food you ask? Grilled pizza and an ice cream sundae bar lol. Fantastic. I will be eating before I go and bringing a veggie tray and seltzer.

Have a great night all. I am proud of all of us fir getting this far!

Day 11

M1 - 3 scrambled eggs and 1/2 avocado wit vinaigrette

M2 - leftover steak 1/3 sweet potato cucumber and tomato salad

M3 - chicken cacciatore from whole 30 cookbook (yum!), guacamole with jicama slices, kale chips

Day 12

M1 - chicken cacciatore and olives

M2 chicken cacciatore, olives, cherry tomatoes

M3 leftover steak, tomato, cucumber and avocado salad

I almost always exercise in the evening around 8:30 (after the kids are in bed). I don't actually feel more hungry after exercise.

Archived