July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

I had a rough couple of days this week. I woke up on Day 9 with a red patch on my chin. I thought it was odd but threw on some make-up and headed to work. I made a point not to touch it, but could feel it throughout the morning. At lunch, I looked in a mirror and it had turned into a blister. Aside from being embarrassed, I was a bit freaked out. The next day I was able to see my doctor who had no idea what it was, but wasn't concerned. Then on Day 11, I woke with two more red patches on my cheek and stayed home from work in fear of further blisters developing. I recalled reading the 2nd week can be rocky, and I searched the forum for other face concerns. I saw a few others struggled with their skin, which was a little reassuring, but I was definitely not in a good head space. The new patches did slowly reduce and go away by dinner. I know the skin is one of the main organs for detoxification, so I'm hoping I'm on the other side now! I've managed to stay on track with my food, so I'm proud my mood didn't sway me. Now I need to make it through a weekend at a friend's cottage. I've got a cooler filled with meat, eggs, veggies and sunshine sauce!

Oh! I have the hugest deep pimple on my chin right now. My first pimple in years. Ironically, the rest of my skin is dryer than usual. Weird. I am also going on the detox theory, and hoping My skin will normalize soon.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh! I have the hugest deep pimple on my chin right now. My first pimple in years. Ironically, the rest of my skin is dryer than usual. Weird. I am also going on the detox theory, and hoping My skin will normalize soon.

Eating a lot of nuts can cause the skin to break out, as well being hard on the digestive system - maybe cut back if you happen to be eating them every day... if not then yes, you can put it down to detoxing.

So yesterday went to a party where people were drinking. I was offered a shot, turned it down. The questioning I got was ridiculous!!!! Why arent u drinking? Whats wrong? One woman even had the gall to pull me to the side and ask what was up. I felt like a kid not an almost 40 yr old. Why do people care so much about what I am eating/drinking or not. I was so annoyed. After she wouldnt let up I explained whole 30 to her and she looked at me like I was nuts.

Unfortunately I had to through out almost everything in my fridge which makes it a large shopping trip tomorrow. But another opportunity to plan meals.

Anyway- whist I am finding I miss the most is milk and sugar in my coffee. I have been using the canned coconut milk with I do like, but it separates if you don't drink it right away.

Sorry to hear about the rough week, Tracy_68!  I'm proud you were able to stay on track!

I can empathize with the coffee!  I have been using coconut milk also.  I open a can and dump the contents into a plastic container with a lid--it's usually separated in the can when I open it.  Once it's all in the container, I put on the lid and shake it til it's all incorporated and put it in the fridge and it solidifies.  In the morning I scoop 1-2 spoonfuls in my coffee cup with a sprinkle of cinnamon.  Hopefully this helps! :)

Almost half way there!

So yesterday went to a party where people were drinking. I was offered a shot, turned it down. The questioning I got was ridiculous!!!! Why arent u drinking? Whats wrong? One woman even had the gall to pull me to the side and ask what was up. I felt like a kid not an almost 40 yr old. Why do people care so much about what I am eating/drinking or not. I was so annoyed. After she wouldnt let up I explained whole 30 to her and she lo

oked at me like I was nuts.

I think people feel uncomfortable when someone else is making much healthier choices than they are. They address this issue in It Starts With Food. It must be pretty common. Even my husband says subtly unsupportive things like "well I'm not allowed to talk about your diet." Let the proof be in the health improvements we all will be enjoying.

Tracy_68 another great trick for creamy coffee that doesn't separate... I add a teaspoon of coconut oil and mix it with my immersion blender (can also be mixed in a regular blender), then I sprinkle with cinnamon, ... It's delish!!! When I finished my first whole30 I tried a cup of coffee with milk (the way I drank it for over 30 years) and I didn't like it. 

Stopping nuts for a while (although I don't think I was eating them more than usual) to see if this helps my skin calm down.

Can't remember what I ate yesterday, but it was all good choices.

Today:

M1: summer squash "noodles" with meat sauce. 1/2 avocado with homemade vinaigrette.

M2: broiled yellowtail with no sauce, broccoli (2nd meal eaten at a restaurant since starting this journey). Still hungry when I got home, so ate the other 1/2 avocado, 1/3 yam with ghee, kale chips, and cherry tomatoes.

M3: Nom Nom Paleo short ribs, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, beets with vinaigrette.

So hungry today! I'm going ahead and eating to satiety even though it feels like a lot of food. Still avoiding snacks.

It occurs to me that I am saving a fortune because I usually eat out a lot. It puts the expense of grass-fed meat into perspective.

Tracy_68 another great trick for creamy coffee that doesn't separate... I add a teaspoon of coconut oil and mix it with my immersion blender (can also be mixed in a regular blender), then I sprinkle with cinnamon, ... It's delish!!! When I finished my first whole30 I tried a cup of coffee with milk (the way I drank it for over 30 years) and I didn't like it.

I'm gonna have to try this. I tried coffee this morning and threw it away. It's just not the same with coconut milk.

Yay Day 14!!! The funny thing is I can't remember what day it is anymore. It's just become a lifestyle. I have to look at my morning email newsletter to remind myself. Anyways last three days have been good. Friday I went for another hike which lasted all day again. My legs felt more refreshed Friday morning than they did Thursday which was helpful. Yesterday and today I just relaxed since it's my last day of vacation. Bright side is I made it through without any problems. :)

Friday:

M1: Sweet potato, eggs (2), and chorizo skillet with two pineapple spears. Tea with coconut milk.

M2: Lara bar (on the trail)

M3: Chipotle chicken sausage (2) with sautéed onions, brussel sprouts, and red peppers. Tea with coconut milk.

Saturday:

M1: Sweet potato, eggs (2), and chorizo with one pineapple spear. Tea with coconut milk.

M2: Moroccan meatballs on a bed of salad greens with guacamole.

M3: Chipotle chicken sausage with roasted brussel sprouts and green beans. Tea with coconut milk.

Today:

M1: Egg(2), mushroom, onions, and red pepper skillet with sautéed sweet potatoes.

M2: Moroccan meatballs on a bed of salad greens with guacamole.

M3: Greek chicken breast with sautéed mushrooms and bell pepper with a splash of lemon.

Bring on week 3!

So yesterday went to a party where people were drinking. I was offered a shot, turned it down. The questioning I got was ridiculous!!!! Why arent u drinking? Whats wrong? One woman even had the gall to pull me to the side and ask what was up. I felt like a kid not an almost 40 yr old. Why do people care so much about what I am eating/drinking or not. I was so annoyed. After she wouldnt let up I explained whole 30 to her and she looked at me like I was nuts.

Way to hold up to the critique and not give in to the pressure. You will be looking and feeling way better than them in just a few short weeks!!

Halfway there! Hope everyone's doing well. Has anyone checked and double checked and found our end date is actually august 25th? That sounds a lot closer than the 27th, right? 
I have spent a lot of time lately wondering how I'll eat after this round ends. Eggs+spinach+maybe sweet potato+coffee with coconut milk (or back to the raw goats milk I was using before whole30) seems like a breakfast that just works well for me and my whole family. Seriously- regular, SAD, convenient breakfast foods are all so terrible! We weren't huge cereal or oatmeal eaters but I'm even more convinced eggs are the way to go. Sometimes I make a big frittata in my cast iron skillet and we eat it 2 days in a row so I don't have to cook every single morning. 

I've also discovered some really easy lunches this round- now that I can make mayonnaise we've been eating chicken salad, tuna salad and egg salad on those bright mini bell peppers. 

I know I'm thinking about post-whole30 food a little prematurely but I haven't done a slow reintro yet! I did ok for a couple days and then basically just returned to eating whatever I wanted. 

Have to run, baby's awake, have a great day! 

I haven't checked in in a few days but still going strong here. My energy is awesome and I feel incredible. I do notice I have to eat by a certain time or I get hangry but other than that I am loving this lifestyle. I love sleeping so soundly and dreaming nice dreams. It seems like forever since that has happened.

My workouts have been incredible and so have my runs! I have my first 10K on day 28 so I am excited to see how I do. The family ate out Friday and went to Buffalo wild wings. I was able to order 4 naked tenders with a compliant dry rub and a side green salad. I brought my own dressing and avocado. I also ordered the app that is all veggies- the kids and hubby ate the naan bread and dips that came with it. It was nice being prepared before going and not stressing about eating out. 

I think today is day 15 like eterry1977 said - I am not counting days anymore - I am just enjoying this!

WOooah, we're halfway there!  WOooah, livin' on a prayer... :)

So, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and the consumate rule follower.  I share this with you because I wonder if I'm stressing out my brain too much--several nights this last week I've dreamt about cheating.  Store bought ranch dressing, popcorn at the movies...stuff like that.  In my dream, I realize what I'm eating and immediately beat myself up, and calculate my new "end date" based on my starting over again.  I remember the time line talked about food dreams...I just never imagined the waking up feeling guilty part.  The funny part is that I feel great, my meals are awesome and very satisfying, and I'm not really hungry at all anymore.  While I may not stick to the rules 100% once August 25th (yes, abbyn, I counted too!) rolls around, my goall is to eat this way 90% of the time.  I'm hoping as the tiger blood takes over the guilt disappears forever.

Also, if you haven't made the walnut crusted pork tenderloin recipe from the Whole30 book, do it!  I've made it twice now in 2 weeks.  It's so yummy!  

I am alive, i promise. I have had a couple of rough days: loss of appetite (absolutely nothing sounded or tasted good), nauseous and couldn't keep down anything. I woke up feeling really good and haven't had any slip ups. I am hoping it was just a stomach bug that had nothing to do with the process. Today, lunch will be a carnitas salad for lunch and then I have to fast starting at 1 pm for a medical procedure tomorrow morning.

WOooah, we're halfway there!  WOooah, livin' on a prayer... :)

So, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and the consumate rule follower.  I share this with you because I wonder if I'm stressing out my brain too much--several nights this last week I've dreamt about cheating.  Store bought ranch dressing, popcorn at the movies...stuff like that.  In my dream, I realize what I'm eating and immediately beat myself up, and calculate my new "end date" based on my starting over again.  I remember the time line talked about food dreams...I just never imagined the waking up feeling guilty part.  The funny part is that I feel great, my meals are awesome and very satisfying, and I'm not really hungry at all anymore.  While I may not stick to the rules 100% once August 25th (yes, abbyn, I counted too!) rolls around, my goall is to eat this way 90% of the time.  I'm hoping as the tiger blood takes over the guilt disappears forever.

Also, if you haven't made the walnut crusted pork tenderloin recipe from the Whole30 book, do it!  I've made it twice now in 2 weeks.  It's so yummy!  

Based on the book, the dreams are right on time! I had a chocolate cake dream on Day 13. I was at a catered event, they put cake in front of me and I just dug in. In my dream, I thought, I guess I'll just start over. 

In reality, I do think I might extend my Whole30 into a Whole 45 because my boyfriend is starting this week. Then we can re-introduce foods together. He did say he hopes I don't go all "tiger blood" on him during his first few days. Haha. 

After a rough few days last week, I'm feeling my better. My face issues have cleared up, and I'm noticing my clothes are more comfortable. My energy was low over the weekend, but today's been better. 

I'm not sure about others, but I'm still not feeling all that 'regular'. But I'm optimistic it will pass. 

Also, one unexpected non-scale victory I've experienced is the state of my fingernails. Random, I know. They are noticeably stronger and the longest they've been in... well, as long as I can remember. One or two usually break or chip, and then I clip them all short. It could be a coincidence given it's only day 15, but it seems different. 

I am alive, i promise. I have had a couple of rough days: loss of appetite (absolutely nothing sounded or tasted good), nauseous and couldn't keep down anything. I woke up feeling really good and haven't had any slip ups. I am hoping it was just a stomach bug that had nothing to do with the process. Today, lunch will be a carnitas salad for lunch and then I have to fast starting at 1 pm for a medical procedure tomorrow morning.

I'm sorry that right when you felt like eating again, you had to fast. Hopefully you are somewhat fat adapted and won't be as starving as if you were in over-carbsumption mode. Good luck!

M1 zucchini spirals with meat sauce, 1/2 sweet potato, tomato and cucumber salad with vinaigrette

M2 Nom nom short ribs, beets in vinaigrette

M3 same as meal 1 but beets instead of sweet potato, a small handful of macadamia nuts for fat. I know I said I would stop, but I really think my mega pimple (still there) is a detox thing instead. I'll let you know if I am wrong!

I no longer feel super hungry. I've been thinking about hunger. I think most of my life I have thought that low blood sugar feeling was hunger. I see now that if you are not constantly crashing from carbs, hunger is a different, more pleasant sensation. Just that it is time to fuel up. None of this "what am I in the mood to eat?" business that was probably driven by unhealthy cravings and caused us to eat out all the time. Now, if it's whole 30 compliant, and tastes good I can eat whatever I have ready and feel fine about it.

There may be a m4 as I am working a night shift tonight

No tiger blood yet and I'm actually feeling bloated the last few days. I spent over 3 hours in the kitchen on Sunday prepping meals for the week. I made the walnut encrusted pork tenderloin- yum, cauliflower mash, roasted veg, hard boiled some eggs, and made the chicken meatballs. Oh, and I clarified butter. It was a bit messy with the cheesecloth.

Stay strong!

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted but I'm still ON TRACK! I started having some headaches (not severe) Friday and realized that I was constipated.  This was a surprise since I've been eating a lot of veggies but I'm not used to eating so much meat and that may have been the issue.  I also had to start taking antibiotics so that could have been another cause.  It's gradually getting better.  Otherwise I've been feeling fine, haven't noticed any major changes but imagine it will take the full 30 days. 

I'm loving my coffee with the canned coconut milk.  I warm it up a bit and then froth it up and add some cinnamon. I doubt I'll go back to Coffee Mate.  Also really liking the Coconut Aminos, it's not as strong as soy sauce but does give food that extra flavor.  The biggest problem I've encountered is running out of food and not having my next menu prepared.  Do have some occasional cravings, for ice cream, a bit of chocolate, but I believe that after this program these will be occasional indulgences instead of in my weekly shopping bags.

So far I believe this is an excellent program and am suggesting my friends and family look into it. 

• Administrators

So, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and the consumate rule follower.  I share this with you because I wonder if I'm stressing out my brain too much--several nights this last week I've dreamt about cheating.  Store bought ranch dressing, popcorn at the movies...stuff like that.  In my dream, I realize what I'm eating and immediately beat myself up, and calculate my new "end date" based on my starting over again.  I remember the time line talked about food dreams...I just never imagined the waking up feeling guilty part.  

Hey Mrs T, feeling misplaced guilt following a food dream is extremely common, not to worry.  So strange though, isn't it!

Haven't checked in recently, but doing well.  Got over the stomach virus and all is well in the house.  Busy weekend and this week will be hectic getting ready for school to start on Monday.  Spent the morning with my senior having his senior pictures taken....really fun, but hard to believe.  

Feeling really good these last few days.  I have found that eating a sweet potato each day (which I really like) makes me really bloated.  Not sure why, but haven't had one the last few days and feel much better.  

Sticking to the program and only problem is starting to get into a rut....eating the same things.  

Per advice above, think I will make the walnut crusted tenderloin for dinner tonight.  Any other favorites to switch things up???

Thanks 

Archived