July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

Day 9 and I realized that after tomorrow, I'm 1/3 of the way!! Woot Woot!!

All ya'alls (I'm in The Dirty South) messages are SO inspiring!  What  a fantastic community!

Now, a what-the-what:  My gut feels like a solid log-jam with the river just flowing, flowing flowing and the logs just jammed jammed jammed.

I tend to eat the same meal from batch cooked as it keeps life simpler for me, so:

Friday:  onion/garlic/tomato/basil frittata--1/6 at each sitting + sauteed kale, coffee with coconut milk after breakfast

Saturday:  1/6 of frittata @ breakfast, 1 ckn breast + sauteed kale for 2nd/3rd meals, coffee with coconut milk after breakfast

Sunday:  ckn breast + sauteed kale for breakfast, ckn breast + slightly sauteed broc w/ garlic + lemon for 2nd/3rd meals

Monday:  ckn breast + broc w/ garlic/lemon and coffee with coconut milk after breakfast.

I think it is influx of SO much ckn protein perhaps, along with the oil in the coconut milk.  I got to the point this morning that I. just. could. not. drink the coffee.  My lips were greasy.  It looked like I'd been eating Chapstick. 

Also, my face (and especially my scalp) are totally broken out.  It's hot, yet...

Am I doing this wrong?

Oh, and btw:  on trash day, I had 1 bag--even my trash is less than!  :)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9 and I realized that after tomorrow, I'm 1/3 of the way!! Woot Woot!!

All ya'alls (I'm in The Dirty South) messages are SO inspiring!  What  a fantastic community!

Now, a what-the-what:  My gut feels like a solid log-jam with the river just flowing, flowing flowing and the logs just jammed jammed jammed.

I tend to eat the same meal from batch cooked as it keeps life simpler for me, so:

Friday:  onion/garlic/tomato/basil frittata--1/6 at each sitting + sauteed kale, coffee with coconut milk after breakfast

Saturday:  1/6 of frittata @ breakfast, 1 ckn breast + sauteed kale for 2nd/3rd meals, coffee with coconut milk after breakfast

Sunday:  ckn breast + sauteed kale for breakfast, ckn breast + slightly sauteed broc w/ garlic + lemon for 2nd/3rd meals

Monday:  ckn breast + broc w/ garlic/lemon and coffee with coconut milk after breakfast.

I think it is influx of SO much ckn protein perhaps, along with the oil in the coconut milk.  I got to the point this morning that I. just. could. not. drink the coffee.  My lips were greasy.  It looked like I'd been eating Chapstick. 

Also, my face (and especially my scalp) are totally broken out.  It's hot, yet...

Am I doing this wrong?

Oh, and btw:  on trash day, I had 1 bag--even my trash is less than!  :)

How many eggs in 1/6 of the frittata?  When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in your hand. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

If your coffee is caffeinated, staying away from it may help, as caffeine can contribute to constipation.

How much water are you drinking daily?  Aim for at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight.

That's a lot of chicken you're eating: are there other proteins you like?  Rotating in more fatty meats or fish may be a good idea.

I also wonder whether you're getting enough fat. Note that much of the cooking fat stays behind in the pan. 

So today has been my first non-headache day...YAY!  I'm pretty blown away by the amount of energy I have had the last 3 days.  I have been eating paleo about 80% of the time for the last 3 years, but in April we moved across the country which put my meals and exercise plan into big-time limbo.  After the move, I immediately started a new job that had me traveling quite a bit 3 days a week.  Fast, easy, processed foods felt like the path of least resistance.  It just seemed to be taking a while to "settle in" and get back on track.  That's why I decided something as restrictive as Whole 30 was necessary.  I knew I was run down and tired a lot of the time, but I didn't really appreciate how much energy I didn't have until now.  I'm excited to see where the next 22 day lead, but my body is so much happier already. 

@framedcooks- I want to hear more about that cucumber noodle salad! I've got a spiralizer but I mostly use if for zucchini :)

Hi Abbyn!  Here it is - I love what the spiralizer does with veggies.  I do at least one full cuke per serving for this one, because it is just so addictively good!  Let me know if you try it and what you think.  :) http://www.framedcooks.com/2015/07/cucumber-mint-noodles.html

So today has been my first non-headache day...YAY!  I'm pretty blown away by the amount of energy I have had the last 3 days.  I have been eating paleo about 80% of the time for the last 3 years, but in April we moved across the country which put my meals and exercise plan into big-time limbo.  After the move, I immediately started a new job that had me traveling quite a bit 3 days a week.  Fast, easy, processed foods felt like the path of least resistance.  It just seemed to be taking a while to "settle in" and get back on track.  That's why I decided something as restrictive as Whole 30 was necessary.  I knew I was run down and tired a lot of the time, but I didn't really appreciate how much energy I didn't have until now.  I'm excited to see where the next 22 day lead, but my body is so much happier already. 

You are giving me hope that my daily headache might leave sometime soon!  That has been the toughest part of Whole 30 for me so far...Day 9, and 9 headaches.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

So ive been crazy busy with the packing, moving, and cleaning to post the past teo days but im still on track.

Day 7:

B - two eggs with chorizo and sauteed sweet potato slices.

L - kitchen sink skillet with grilled chicken, carrots, broccoli, and onions sauteed in olive oil.

D - sausage with grilled carrots and green beans with lemon mayo dressing.

Day 8 was a little rough. I spent most of the day loading the packed boxes into my car up and down three flights of stairs solo. Then i had to clean my apt and drive 5 hours to my temporary vacation canin until i move into my next place. Btw im a travel nurse if your wondering. Lol. Anyways, I made breakfast and stowed some items that were left over in my fridge for the car ride but my car was so packed tight i couldn't go buy stuff for the trip. Therefore I made do with a whole30 conscious trip to chipotle and an emergency lara bar (one of the compliant ones...i triple checked).

M1 - 1 egg with chorizo and sauteed seet potatoes. (Only one egg left in the fridge so i made do.)

M2 - Lara bar, grapes, and grape tomatoes. (No fat besides the bar because i couldnt reach the cashews i packed while driving.)

M3 - Chipotle salad with carnitas, pico de gallo, salsa verde, and guacamole. (All compliant, i checked on their website while i was ordering. Btw $9.95 is outrageous for that salad (without dressing). It only has four things on it! Crazy!!

Anyways, glad thats over and now i can get back to cooking meals in the morning. I had a wicked headache all night and its probably my poor lunch and walking up and down three flights of stairs 50+ times. I must say though, i am pretty proud of myself for sticking with it even with everything going on. Chipotle used to be my go to and i would load a butrito bowl with everything and always had chips and guac with a large diet coke. I could have easily given into that today especially with how exhausted and fristrated i was but i didnt!! Yay me!

Hey all.  Rough day for me yesterday - a headache that blossomed into a full-blown migraine (I get these, and am hopeful W30 will help me kick them), followed by a very restless night (see migraine).  Hoping today is better.  My eats yesterday:

Breakfast: Hardboiled eggs, steamed brocolli

Lunch: First restaurant lunch since I started!  Salad Nicoise, which was grilled tuna, hardboiled egg, green beans, roasted potato and lettuce, with a vinaigrette dressing.  

Dinner: Big turkey burgers with homemade mayo, mustard, sliced tomato and homemade pickles, on an iceberg lettuce "bun" and homemade zucchini chips.

Drank gallons of water to help drown the migraine, which didn't work but is good for me anyway.

Hoping today is better.  So far the migraine has retreated to the edges.  Fingers crossed.

Hey all.  Rough day for me yesterday - a headache that blossomed into a full-blown migraine (I get these, and am hopeful W30 will help me kick them), followed by a very restless night (see migraine).  Hoping today is better.  My eats yesterday:

Lunch: First restaurant lunch since I started!  Salad Nicoise, which was grilled tuna, hardboiled egg, green beans, roasted potato and lettuce, with a vinaigrette dressing.  

Dinner: Big turkey burgers with homemade mayo, mustard, sliced tomato and homemade pickles, on an iceberg lettuce "bun" and homemade zucchini chips.

Drank gallons of water to help drown the migraine, which didn't work but is good for me anyway.

Hoping today is better.  So far the migraine has retreated to the edges.  Fingers crossed.

Meal 2 and 3 look good: try to eat more at your meal 1.  Where is the fat?  How many eggs did you have?  

Side note: did you confirm that the restaurant vinaigrette dressing was compliant?  (possible top nasties include gluten and MSG)

Hello All!  Going well for me.  Making adjustments in my sleeping patterns so can start waking up at 4:30 again to start back up with Crossfit 5am class.  It's a little rough for me but with my kids' schedules, only time can fit it in.  I am finding that I enjoy eating this way... A LOT!!  I have made the decision that my kids would benefit from several of these principles as well.  I have been preparing them for the changes with tweaks here and there in their meals. 

Day 8 Meals:

M1 - pork chop cooked in OO, green beans w/ sunshine sauce, green tea w/ coconut milk - 1/2 cup coffee w/ coconut milk at work

M2 - Thai lettuce wraps (gr chicken, mushrooms, onion, water chestnuts), salad w/ whole30 ranch, green beans w/ sunshine sauce

Afternoon at work - 2nd 1/2 of coffee w/ coconut milk

M3 - Whole30 meatballs and tomato sauce w/ zucchini noodles sauted in clarified butter and OO.  1/2 cup fresh fruits.

Day 8 started off good. I am having an issue with recovery. I have had to miss my monday and tuesday morning workouts due to soreness.

Is anyone else having a slow recovery or feeling of nausea in the afternoons and early evenings?

Are you incorporating postWO meals? And if so what are you eating?

Also, it is fairly normal to have less energy for work-outs, or for recovery to be slow in the first few weeks - things pick up again after that.

With regard to the nausea, could it be something you are eating? Or that you are not eating enough? (refer to my first question...)

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, along with activity/sleep/stress levels we can trouble-shoot for you.

Hang in there!

I also struggle with migraines and headaches, and last year when I cut out sugar, processed foods, and refined carbs (not Whole30, but my own real food challenge), I had headaches for a few weeks. When I wasn't feeling better after a while, I tried an elimination diet with my naturopath, and when I tracked my headaches, I had them about 4-5 days a week. We ended up trying magnesium supplements, and I do think they made a difference. The next time I tried a 2-week elimination diet, I didn't get headaches, and so far on the Whole30, I have only had 2. 

I'm not a medical professional, so it might be worth talking to someone about magnesium or other options that might help. 

When I looked back at It Starts with Food, I read the part that said the second week is when the healing starts to take place, and it's not always smooth. Your body is trying to re-calibrate, and I'm trying to remember that as I await the tiger blood.

Hope you get some relief soon!

Meal 2 and 3 look good: try to eat more at your meal 1.  Where is the fat?  How many eggs did you have?  

Side note: did you confirm that the restaurant vinaigrette dressing was compliant?  (possible top nasties include gluten and MSG)

I had three eggs - another moderator told me that I didn't need to add fat if I was eating eggs.  And yes, I confirmed with the restaurant on the dressing.  :)

Hang in there!

I also struggle with migraines and headaches, and last year when I cut out sugar, processed foods, and refined carbs (not Whole30, but my own real food challenge), I had headaches for a few weeks. When I wasn't feeling better after a while, I tried an elimination diet with my naturopath, and when I tracked my headaches, I had them about 4-5 days a week. We ended up trying magnesium supplements, and I do think they made a difference. The next time I tried a 2-week elimination diet, I didn't get headaches, and so far on the Whole30, I have only had 2. 

I'm not a medical professional, so it might be worth talking to someone about magnesium or other options that might help. 

When I looked back at It Starts with Food, I read the part that said the second week is when the healing starts to take place, and it's not always smooth. Your body is trying to re-calibrate, and I'm trying to remember that as I await the tiger blood.

Hope you get some relief soon!

Thank you so much!  I do take magnesium - have for the last couple of years on my doctor's advice - so all set there.  We've worked for years together on these darn migraines, which are so bad that they have shown up on my brain in CT scans.  The only thing that works is a pain  med that I take right when they start, and that only works some of the time.  Luckily they aren't that frequent - once a month or so - but as you know, they are awful and I'm hoping to kick them out of my life entirely.  Hearing your experience was SO comforting - I'm going to remind myself that I am recalibrating.  I'm better today, so that's hopeful.  THANK YOU.  :)

I had three eggs - another moderator told me that I didn't need to add fat if I was eating eggs.  And yes, I confirmed with the restaurant on the dressing.   :)

Whether or not you need fat  with eggs is dependent on a couple things: if your meal isn't keeping you satiated for 4-5 hours, that would be an indication to add fat.  Secondly, you were having a headache that evolved into a migraine. The added fat could help with that as well.

Could be something worthy of an experiment: your call. Don't fear the fat.  :) 

Whether or not you need fat  with eggs is dependent on a couple things: if your meal isn't keeping you satiated for 4-5 hours, that would be an indication to add fat.  Secondly, you were having a headache that evolved into a migraine. The added fat could help with that as well.

Could be something worthy of an experiment: your call. Don't fear the fat.  :) 

I definitely wasn't hungry (I've never been a breakfast person) but if you think extra fat will help with headaches I will add it in!  

I definitely wasn't hungry (I've never been a breakfast person) but if you think extra fat will help with headaches I will add it in!  

I don't know whether it will help you, but the only way to know is to try.  :)

Gone all day to the mountains with my boys and niece....here's today...

B:  Eggs, bacon, clementine, hot tea (at home)

L:  Grilled chicken with squash and zucchini (at restaurant....meal made per whole30 guidelines) 

D:  Taco salad (lettuce, ground bison, compliant salsa, guacamole), carrots with homemade ranch (at home)

Had an iced green tea unsweetened while the crew got ice cream.  Must admit the ice cream did look good. 

Had a Teavana Youthberry Hot Tea yesterday and agree with previous post...really fragrant and good unsweetened.

Hope my next week is a little easier without house guests :unsure:  

Anyone finding that they arent that hungry when they should be? Sometimes Im forcing myself to eat a 3rd meal.

Are you spacing your meals out enough?

Are you maybe eating a little too much? Or are you used to eating a number of smaller meals? It can sometimes take the stomach a while to adjust...

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your meals we can take a look and see if you're on the right track, and in the meantime if you really can't eat a full template meal you should eat around the plate (ie. eating a little of everything) and pack up the rest to eat as soon as you are able.

Yay for Day 9!!! I must say eating this way has been pretty easy as long as I plan and prepare. I used to HATE to go grocery shopping and now I'm there twice a week but I know it's for a good reason so I'm ok with it. I love most of my meals thus far, though I still have a hard time not overlooking salmon. Ugh!! I bake it on 400 for 10 mins and it's raw in the middle so I put it back in for three more and it's overdone. So frustrating!!!

Anyways, was on the road again today. I had to go get groceries which meant driving two hours to find a place that had organic and compliant foods. Not a big deal but I did make it to the northern border....detour...lol.

M1: Chorizo and sautéed sweet potato with almonds and black tea with coconut milk,

M2: Carrots, greens beans, and almonds. This was on my road trip and my plan was to have prosciutto too but I took one bite and got grossed out...hence the almonds. Lacked the protein but I still made it a good 5 hours before I was hungry again, are you supposed to cook prosciutto???

M3: cilantro lime and jalapeño salmon with steamed broccoli drizzled with lemon mayo and tea with a dash of coconut milk.

I will say prior to doing the whole 30 I was a huge coffe and peppermint mocha creamer person. I've been drinking tea now and it's good. I enjoy it more now than I ever did before. I need to try new flavor so though. I've really enjoyed the white chai in the morning plane or with a dash of coconut milk.

Hi everyone. I started on 7/25, but it looks like I am the only one. Ok if I tag along with you?

I've been "mostly paleo" for 2 years, but found myself sliding quickly down the slippery slope of increasingly frequent "occasional treats." Time for a clean up, so here I am.

@ framedcooks. I had full-blown migraines on days 2-5. They're gone now. I did benefit from increasing my fat.

I got my "kill all the things" phase on day 9. A little late according to the timeline, but clearly not my normal state of being. So, I feel like I need a little help.

I'm a nurse-midwife, so work odd hours. I was up yesterday (took a nap) then went to work. So, there are more meals than normal in this 24 hour period.

M1 3 poached eggs on a bed of spinach covered in hollandaise sauce - yum!!!

M2 1 grilled chicken breast, tomato and cucumber salad from the garden with homemade vinaigrette, handful of olives

M3 grilled steelhead, 1/3 yam with ghee, handful pistachios, tomato and cucumber salad with vinaigrette

Snack - another handful of pistachios at 1:15 AM. Energy waning.

Plan M4 mini meal around 5am. More steelhead and yam with ghee.

I'll have a M5 before I go to bed in the morning. I'll post that tomorrow.

I feel like my job's disrupted sleep is not really optimal for Whole30, but doing my best!

Archived