Whole 30 and Arthritis

I did my Whole 30 a month ago. About twenty days in, I got a REALLY bad flare-up of arthritis. It was terrible, but I finished my ten days. Has anyone experienced a recurrence of symptoms while on the program?

I'm no medical expert but I've heard of arthritis being treated by diet. Most the items we eliminate on Whole30 are eliminated, but there are some additional acidic items such as tomatoes & citrus fruits which are also eliminated.

Were you eating a lot of either?

• 2 weeks later...

I just started on August 1st and have had a lot of stiffness in the am.  I have been trying not to take naproxen but this morning I had to because I really couldn't walk and I had to go to work. 

I am hoping that this is inflammation working itself out of my body as I transition from sugar burning to fat burning.  Other than that I am feeling good (except for all of the dishes).

I had a horrific flare up earlier this week after eating a baked potato...I think it was the skin as I'd eaten the flesh in the last few months without issues.

It is possible for something that is generally ok on whole30 to affect your body negatively

I hope it gets better soon

• 2 weeks later...

Following Whole30 is not a cure for arthritis although some people have said it has helped them. When I did my first Whole30, I had less flare-ups but I still had them.  But, I was also eating nightshades.  People who have found relief may have decreased or omitted nightshades unintentionally. This time around, I have noticed my flare-ups lessen when I don't eat them. If you want more info about nightshades, google Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) or go to http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity/the-autoimmune-protocol for more info on how nightshades can affect your immune system.

First of all I love your avatar - beautiful.

I have found that eating according to W30 principles makes a big difference to my symptoms, but remember that there will be other things that affect your arthritis too.  I am very susceptible to changes in weather so no matter what I am eating, if the weather gets cold, humid or rainy then my symptoms will get worse, particularly if the change is sudden.

So you can be doing everything right with your diet but there are still other factors to come into play, so you can't expect miracles.  And it can help emotional management of your flare ups to know that sometimes it's external factors that are affecting you, not that you've done something "wrong".

In general, I feel a lot better.  My shoulders, wrists and hands are much better.  However, I've had severe cramps in my right leg for over a week now.  It gets worse when I lie down at night and driving a car for a distance is excruciating. 

I bought some magnesium citrate and have been taking it at night.  I have an acupuncture appointment on Monday and that should also help.  Any other suggestions?

Hi.

I've been reading the posts regarding stiffness and pain and they sound very similar to what I'm experiencing.  Didn't know that the bumper crop of tomatoes in my garden could be causing this.

I'm fine during the day, I can walk and stand with no pain but as soon as I sit or relax or even lie down to bed I get excruciating pain in my right knee.  Advil doesn't help and I lose sleep each night.   I didn't notice this before I started the Whole 30.  I haven't been diagnosed with arthritis but I do have an appointment with a rheumatologist to find out.   Anybody have any suggestions as to why this is happening and if anyone else is experiencing the same thing since the whole 30? :unsure:

I went yesterday to my acupuncturist and I feel a little better today.  He suggested that it might be a potassium deficiency.  I salt my food but realized that when I gave up processed and fast food, I cut way down on sodium.  

I have RA and this feels different.  Overall, I feel a whole lot better.  All of my hand, wrist and shoulder pain is mostly gone as is my morning stiffness. 

I, too, have been sleeping poorly.  I get up and warm up a bed buddy and that helps a little.  I'm on day 25 and I am not giving in to this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I lost my arthritis completely, but pretty sure mine was gluten induced :) I have trouble with most grains (for me, white rice is the least reactive *rice is not W30 compliant)

I do find if I eat a *lot* of nightshades, I can feel stiffer, same with anything that triggers inflammation (for me).

Make sure you're eating enough fat and getting enough to drink, being "dry" can make us more "creaky".

For cramps, deficiencies that can cause this include: sodium, potassium, magnesium.

For me, magnesium cramps come in the legs (painful!), potassium in my big toes only (painful!) and sodium ones are legs too, but not very bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived