Best fat?

Is there any differentiation in fat sources as far as "good for you" is concerned?  If I'm constantly getting my fat from the same source, is that bad?  I know a variety of vegetables leads to a variety of nutrients, but what about fat?  Among the approved fats, are some better than others?  Thoughts??

I would change it up, just on principle. Nuts are not an ideal source and can be hard to digest. I would use a variety -- avocado, olive oil, olives, ghee, homemade mayo, dips/dressings, coconut oil, tallow, duck or goose fat, lard, schmaltz... 

A variety of fats and fat sources would be your best bet. Some sources like coconut and animal fats will give you lots of saturated fat while other sources like avocado and olives give more monounsaturated fat. Both are good things to have in your diet. Omega 3's from oily fish (sardines and salmon are good sources) are also good and important. And while nuts are an approved fat source on the program, they're also high in Omega 6's which are easy to overdo. And while Omega 6's are necessary in our diet, they do become an inflammatory agent if consumed to excess or consumed without sufficient Omega 3.

Raw nuts avoid the oxidation issue that makes O6 a concern beyond the 6/3 balance issue.  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-omega-6-fats/#axzz3hrG8q5w9  Macadamias and cashews, listed on the W30 template as best eating fats, are the lowest in O6 and when consumed raw the minimal PUFAs have not been damaged.  If you don't like raw nuts, buying raw lets you control the temperature of roasting or soaking and prevents oxidation.

For cooking fats, I use coconut oil primarily, EVOO on cold or warm food as a finisher, and ghee.  I use coconut oil mainly for proteins, and ghee mainly for veggies.

For eating fats, I try to have as many different things attached to the fat I eat as I can source from a quality provider.  Cow, avocado, salmon, raw cashews, pig, olives, lamb, canned coconut milk, sardines, and skin-on chicken leg quarters to name a few.

Scrambled eggs made with ghee as the cooking fat are spectacular! Otherwise I use ghee for added flavor after plating my food. I usually cook my meats with coconut oil and veggies in EVOO. Especially now that I found out the heat concerns of cooking with olive oil aren't as big a deal as I'd thought earlier.

• Moderators

Scrambled eggs made with ghee as the cooking fat are spectacular! Otherwise I use ghee for added flavor after plating my food. I usually cook my meats with coconut oil and veggies in EVOO. Especially now that I found out the heat concerns of cooking with olive oil aren't as big a deal as I'd thought earlier.

Eggs scrambled with a sloosh of coconut milk are INCREDIBLE!  Just fyi ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I buy duck and goose fat...marvellous for slathering in a chicken before roasting or on veg before sticking them in the oven. I make ghee for mashed veg (carrots, butternut squash) and on sweet potatoes and squashes after baking. I use coconut milk in curries and make coconut cream to eat as mock sour cream on chilis and lettuce "fajitas". I also use light olive oil for mayo and pancetta for frying and adding to cabbage or sprouts or anything else I fancy.

Oh and I use coconut oil on my dry skin...I "wash" my face with it every night and put it on my dry elbows and knees. Can't stand the stuff to cook with but go through oodles of it on the outside of my body ;)

Archived