Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Good morning!!  Day 21 for me and I feel great!!

I'm curious if anyone else has felt fuller quicker now?  Most of my meals have been a healthy balance of good fats, protein, veggies and I fill up really quick!  To the point where I hope i'm getting enough nutrients.  I know that's silly to think and reminds me of growing up with my Mexican side of the family always insisting that I "need to finish my plate" or I'll starve LOL. I'm sure many of you can relate!!  Reminds me of the part in the book where Dallas and Melissa talk about eating pork versus eating Oreos and how the nutrients alert your body to stop consuming foods.  But with the Oreos, you can eat a whole pack and not have your brain stop you because there are no nutrients in Oreos!  The only thing that stops you is your stomach...which bloats out from the amount of cookies.  It's really crazy to think about but SO true.

Also, I visited a friend's mom that I haven't seen in ages.  The first thing she says is, "You look like you lost weight!"  I simply said thank you...but I think she's on to something!!   :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez, I wish there was a Whole30 restaurant where I could just go and order anything I want without even thinking about it (and especially without asking 150 questions about every item)! Today I am kinda bored of cooking, yearning for a care-free dining out experience...

Jeez, I wish there was a Whole30 restaurant, where I could just go and order anything I want without thinking about it (and especially without asking 150 questions about every item)! Today I am kinda bored of cooking, yearning for a care-free dining out experience...

I eat at Chipotle every week. I know it's not the fanciest of restaurants. You can have the carnitas with pico and guac. I know that doesn't sound too thrilling but when you're sick of cooking it seems amazing.

NSV, someone at my gym said I looked good! Things like that really make a difference.

Meals are kind of the same. I did grate some sweet potatoes last night and am using those in my morning meal which is yum. I made a big batch of pork carnitas in the crock pot yesterday so that will be my lunch most of the week. Supper tonight is grilled chicken, baked sweet potato and brussels sprouts with bacon. FInally bought the compliant bacon at costco. My goal this week is to be in bed, lights out, and phone off at 9. I get up at 5 so I need that sleep.Oh also to limit my nut butter to my pre-workout meal.  Have a good week!

Jeez, I wish there was a Whole30 restaurant where I could just go and order anything I want without even thinking about it (and especially without asking 150 questions about every item)! Today I am kinda bored of cooking, yearning for a care-free dining out experience...

I wish someone would just show up and say, 'sit down, eat this, don't worry I'll clean up after' and all I want is that 3 times a day for a couple months--is that too much to ask????? When that happens you will be the first one I call and you can come live with us for a bit. :)

Every time you ask at a restaurant you know you are making it easier for the next person don't you? They will finally get the message and start offering those options before being asked. So think of it as doing a public service--you noble person, you. :) :)

Something is shifting here, I am sneezing periodically and had to have a nap yesterday, then early bed last night. Not as sore as I have been but still a few creaks.

One thing that is exceptional, I have a knee that doesn't like to bend. I have been working on it trying to loosen it, we recently got a stationary bike, and I was instructed to just go back and forth, not even try going the full circle. Naturally being so compliant, I attempted the full circle the first time and it was not pretty, but after a day of back and forth (not 24 hour rocking!) I tried again and could go around, slowly and carefully but I did it, and yesterday it was even easier--couldn't keep up with anyone but a slow chicken but a major milestone for me. I think in part this has to do with reducing the chronic inflammation--brilliant.

Will check in later. Have a great day/evening/sleep: whichever time of day you are experiencing. L

I wish someone would just show up and say, 'sit down, eat this, don't worry I'll clean up after' and all I want is that 3 times a day for a couple months--is that too much to ask????? When that happens you will be the first one I call and you can come live with us for a bit. :)

Every time you ask at a restaurant you know you are making it easier for the next person don't you? They will finally get the message and start offering those options before being asked. So think of it as doing a public service--you noble person, you. :) :)

Love this, misslindy!! : )

Friends, I apologize for several days away from the Forum. I've missed the conversations and the company. I'm so glad to know that you all are still trucking along. Me, too!

I don't notice a major difference in the way my clothes fit, which is fine. I also don't have Tiger Blood, but I loved the comment about Tigger Blood. That, I have!

I do notice other NSVs:

• My skin looks better and recently I received a compliment on my looks. This NEVER happens, but I think it was paid because I was smiling. I really think I'm happier. Is that possible?
  • My attitudes regarding food are returning to normal, using food for energy rather than as a reward, or a drug. I don't feel like a slave to food anymore. It really had a hold of me -- and I've taken that back.
  • I really can tell now what complaint foods cause issues for me. I've played a very "safe template" for the past three weeks. I'm going to work on expanding that template to learn more about my range.

I am committing for a longer time period -- I'm considering at least another 20 days. I've always needed to take things slowly, and I really need to work harder on exercising. One thing at a time!

I really love this group and would love to join into any posts that the extenders join. Please do keep me in the loop!

OK, let's keep doing this, we're doing a great job! Peace to you all from Bloomington, Indiana!

Friends, I apologize for several days away from the Forum. I've missed the conversations and the company. I'm so glad to know that you all are still trucking along. Me, too!

I don't notice a major difference in the way my clothes fit, which is fine. I also don't have Tiger Blood, but I loved the comment about Tigger Blood. That, I have!

I do notice other NSVs:

• My skin looks better and recently I received a compliment on my looks. This NEVER happens, but I think it was paid because I was smiling. I really think I'm happier. Is that possible?
  • My attitudes regarding food are returning to normal, using food for energy rather than as a reward, or a drug. I don't feel like a slave to food anymore. It really had a hold of me -- and I've taken that back.
  • I really can tell now what complaint foods cause issues for me. I've played a very "safe template" for the past three weeks. I'm going to work on expanding that template to learn more about my range.

I am committing for a longer time period -- I'm considering at least another 20 days. I've always needed to take things slowly, and I really need to work harder on exercising. One thing at a time!

I really love this group and would love to join into any posts that the extenders join. Please do keep me in the loop!

OK, let's keep doing this, we're doing a great job! Peace to you all from Bloomington, Indiana!

Nice to hear from you. I like that we can pop in and out when it is convenient for each of us.

So great to hear of your progress. I have been sitting here laughing at myself because I read your first line incorrectly, thought someone was paid to compliment you! How funny is that? Your picture is gorgeous so I could understand why people wouldn't compliment you. And yes, I believe I am happier, more comfortable in myself so can understand how you feel that way--it is easier to smile then isn't it? 

I intend to work more on exercising this next round, but will wait until we are through this first then decide what I am doing about that. We could be the cheerleaders??? We could have outfits and everything.

Day 21.  The kitchen is closed.  Another busy day is complete.  We started it with homemade pork sausage and mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk.  So delicious.  Lunch was a huge salad with lots of crunch, homemade ranch dressing, and leftover meatballs.  Dinner was crockpot chicken mole with guacamole, jalapeños, and cilantro...and a few green beans.  I almost have 18k on my Fitbit...just one more walk around the neighborhood with the hubs after the kids go to bed.  I'm always grateful to get through Monday.

I went to the doctor this morning for my yearly physical.  I couldn't help but see my weight.  (please don't judge...the number was right in front of my eyes...I will not weigh myself at home, undressed...promise!!)  It confirmed what my clothes are saying.  I had blood taken and am really hoping to hear I am not anemic anymore.  I'm not napping daily anymore and felt great after my period ended...not run down at all.  So, my fingers are crossed.  The doc suggested a magnesium supplement for my occasional charlie horses at night.  You've mentioned that on the forum too and I'm going to look into it.

I'm happier and have so much more energy these days.  I'm also sleeping really well.  I feel damn good.  Healthy.  Vibrant.  Shiny.  I am only missing chewing gum these days but I brush my teeth a few extra times at work and that helps a lot.

Tomorrow night I'm going out to dinner with some friends.  I checked out the menu.  I'm wondering about eating pan-seared scallops.  They are probably seared in butter, so that's a no go, right?  And bacon in a vegetable would probably have sugar in it, right?  So, that's a no go.  I will probably stick to the shrimp (hold the cocktail sauce) and a salad.  Maybe the grilled asparagus...we shall see.

peace to you all as you wind down for the evening.  keep on keepin' on!

I intend to work more on exercising this next round, but will wait until we are through this first then decide what I am doing about that. We could be the cheerleaders??? We could have outfits and everything.

I'll take on the cheerleadeind, and especially for anything that resembles a costume! I'm a little too saggy/modest for the short skirts but almost everything else can be restrained somehow. I'm in!

Hi all! Ended up being a great day. My headache responded to two Ibuprofen--usually takes four! I was considering putting in some extra hours since I'm off Thursday and Friday. Then at 4pm, I decided to go home. But I got a couple of last minute requests and ended up working till 6. The amazing thing is that I wasn't hungry or thinking about food while I worked. Major NSV. Came home, showered, ate a compliant dinner, and will be goofing off the rest of the evening.

I wondered too if things were slowing down here, but I think now that we all seem to be feeling better (so much better!!), and not going through the crazy initial stages, it's easier to check in less often. Seems like a healthy thing. But I still check here way too often for posts! I enjoy the chat. I'm looking forward to sharing Days 31 and beyond!

Have a great rest of the day, all!

That's going to be my focus too. My new gym is either open now, or opening soon. Then I'm out of excuses... I've been walking a bit at lunch, but not enough. I'm not sure I'm ready yet for a cheerleading outfit, so maybe a football jersey and full pads!

Day 21.  The kitchen is closed.  Another busy day is complete.  We started it with homemade pork sausage and mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk.  So delicious.  Lunch was a huge salad with lots of crunch, homemade ranch dressing, and leftover meatballs.  Dinner was crockpot chicken mole with guacamole, jalapeños, and cilantro...and a few green beans.  I almost have 18k on my Fitbit...just one more walk around the neighborhood with the hubs after the kids go to bed.  I'm always grateful to get through Monday.

I went to the doctor this morning for my yearly physical.  I couldn't help but see my weight.  (please don't judge...the number was right in front of my eyes...I will not weigh myself at home, undressed...promise!!)  It confirmed what my clothes are saying.  I had blood taken and am really hoping to hear I am not anemic anymore.  I'm not napping daily anymore and felt great after my period ended...not run down at all.  So, my fingers are crossed.  The doc suggested a magnesium supplement for my occasional charlie horses at night.  You've mentioned that on the forum too and I'm going to look into it.

I'm happier and have so much more energy these days.  I'm also sleeping really well.  I feel damn good.  Healthy.  Vibrant.  Shiny.  I am only missing chewing gum these days but I brush my teeth a few extra times at work and that helps a lot.

Tomorrow night I'm going out to dinner with some friends.  I checked out the menu.  I'm wondering about eating pan-seared scallops.  They are probably seared in butter, so that's a no go, right?  And bacon in a vegetable would probably have sugar in it, right?  So, that's a no go.  I will probably stick to the shrimp (hold the cocktail sauce) and a salad.  Maybe the grilled asparagus...we shall see.

peace to you all as you wind down for the evening.  keep on keepin' on!

I think seeing the weight number is just a moment that has passed. I am certainly beginning to be much more comfortable with the fact that it is only a number, it is more important how we are feeling and from your post you are making huge strides in your personal well being--that is the proof you are doing what is needed. Am seriously pleased for you. 

That's going to be my focus too. My new gym is either open now, or opening soon. Then I'm out of excuses... I've been walking a bit at lunch, but not enough. I'm not sure I'm ready yet for a cheerleading outfit, so maybe a football jersey and full pads!

Hey they are our outfits we can dress how we like. But no pads--football jersey would be okay, you are letting go of the 'pads', don't be adding more for effect. We will have to have a meeting to discuss uniforms, personally I think we should all wear whatever we like best.

Walking is still the best exercise according to some experts so well done you, picking the best thing there is! And walking a bit is more than you were doing isn't it? So that is progress.

I'll take on the cheerleadeind, and especially for anything that resembles a costume! I'm a little too saggy/modest for the short skirts but almost everything else can be restrained somehow. I'm in!

We should be able to wear what we want--we could start a new trend. We shall have to have a meeting! :)

Hi all! Ha! This nut and fruit thing! After all the post readings last night I decided that I've really got to get rid of the cashew dragon. And the any kind of fruit, any place, any time issue! I feel it's hurting my progress. I've worked too hard to let that get in the way.

Anyway, vozelle, thanks for the hb egg reminder and the meatball recipes! Will be picking up some ground meats today to try out some of those. And I tossed the cashews out (ok, I ate the last few) and made some hb eggs and put those in the cashew bowl and put in fridge! My new habit. Also, have vowed to (been thinking about this for a while since limiting my nightly TV watching!) get on the stationary bike instead of plopping down after dinner. Husband will keel over. He's an ex-pys-ed teacher and regular excerciser, golfer, swimmer. His wife is none of those (she'd rather draw and watercolor the golf course).

kplake, that comment about losing the chin made me laugh out loud! I've lost some of my butt and about a quarter cup of boobs! I know this because my skinny jeans are longer and my t-shirts looser!

Mondays are spent with two of the grandchildren--hubby and I watch them while parents are at work. We make dinner for us all. It's a good day. Hope you all have a terrific day! Glad I'm this journey with you all. Please let's do continue.

You made me laugh, too. I am not squeezing into my bras anymore either. There is no bulge between my bra and armpits. Yay! 

Day 21 is off to a slow start. Headachy and sluggish this morning. Can't be anything I'm eating, so it must just be one of those days. Will hope it passes quickly--lots to do in the first part of the week so I can goof off up north for a long weekend! (Is "up north" just a Wisconsin thing? I'm heading as far north in WI as you can go without crossing into the upper peninsula of Michigan. Beautiful area up there!) Have a good start to the week, everyone!

I think "up north" is very regional to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. I have a Tshirt with that on it. Got it in Michigan. That northern air will do so much good for you. I am jealous. 

Tonight for dinner I had the pulled pork in the crock pot.  It was delicious but I missed the bbq sauce.  I think I'll add a bbq sauce to my prep this weekend.  I've found quite a few on the internet.  Can anyone vouch for a bbq recipe they made and liked?  

Hi, here's one I tried. Made it on Wednesday. I liked it a lot. It is not compliant because it calls for a half tsp honey, so I substituted that for a quarter cup unsweetened applesauce. I also used compliant canned tomato sauce rather than the tomato juice. http://fastpaleo.com/recipe/barbeque-sauce.

I really like Tessemae's BBQ sauce.  It'd be great for pulled pork.

I think "up north" is very regional to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. I have a Tshirt with that on it. Got it in Michigan. That northern air will do so much good for you. I am jealous. 

I live in Boston and we say "up north"...NH and Maine.  I can't stand it when people say "up the cape".  ummm...that's south.

Day 21 in the books.

I am fully satisfied after M1 and M2.  

M1: Sweet potato hashbrowns, egg, coffee with coconut cream

M2: Salad with bacon and egg

After M3, I started to get hungry at night.  M3 was: Veggie Cabbage soup, sausage, roasted veggies with olive oil.  

I haven't had any fruit the last few days and only really noticed when I looked at all the fruit left in my fruit bowl.  Hmmm...I'll definitely check it out tomorrow and have some of the lovely grapefruit!

Someone mentioned feeling full without eating a ton.  I, too, have been feeling full without eating as much as I expect.  Tonight I'm a bit surprised I'm hungry but it is 11:30pm and I should really be in bed not thinking of food.  Maybe it's because I was scanning the internet for some new recipes to try.  

I'm off to bed now to forget about being hungry and to get a decent sleep before the morning comes up quickly!  We're down to single digits now before we finish the 30 days.  I'm so proud we all made it this far and believe we will all make it to the end and maybe even then some.  I do confess that I will likely try a pumpkin flavored coffee when the Whole30 is over.  Just one.  I'm hoping it's not as good as I remember ;-)

I am feeling so good, I really had to check in here. I actually started August 31 (hey, I live in Portland - we like to be weird). I have had no cravings for anything that is not Whole30. I can't quite believe it because I thought it would be nearly impossible to do without dairy. I don't eat red meat, and I keep kosher, which means no shellfish, so it's been lots of salmon, eggs, tuna and some turkey breast for protein. My blood pressure, which was 165/100 when I started is now 93/61. That is clearly a miracle. People say I look like I've lost weight, but I can't see it. I don't really care at this point. GERD is completely gone and my skin looks better. 

I can't imagine being tempted to eat differently, ever. My relationship with food is really different; I don't feel like it has any power over me at all. I hope you are all doing as well as or better than I am!

I had a really close call today.  Was in a coffee shop with a friend and was chatting with her as I buttered some toast for my daughter.  I absent-mindedly licked my finger.  But just as my finger hit my tongue I realized what I was doing.  Grabbed about five napkins off the table and frantically wiped off my tongue, then walked all the way to the bathroom with my tongue hanging out of my mouth and rinsed out my mouth.  Got a lot of crazy looks and my friend almost wet herself laughing at me and my "crazy diet".  Normally I'd say it's not a crazy diet, but after that scene, I really had no ground to stand on.  (Rest assured, she has heard all about it numerous times.)

Archived