Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Today was a good day.  I got a lot done around the house and errands ran but then tonight I became angry.  At pretty much everything.  I have no idea why.  I'm hoping I get my happy back on again tomorrow!

Anyone else back into the Kill all Things stage??

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight I went to a restaurant with coworkers.  It was meh.  It was pricey and I had to cobble together a meal because they put dairy in EVERYTHING.  So, I spent a lot of cash on a piece of salmon that I can make better at home.  But alas.  I kind of knew that going into the evening.  The nice part is that I didn't stay out drinking (because we're not drinking!!) and I didn't even want dessert.  I wanted to go home and check in with all of you and then tuck myself next to my honey in bed and get a good night's sleep so I can go on an awesome run at 5:15am.  That's where my head is these days and I love it!

My energy is so good.  My mood is good.  I'm a worker bee for sure.  I think I might need to force myself to relax a bit more.  I almost feel like I could take off into the sky at any moment.  

Day 22.  Here and gone.  Tomorrow is another sweet potato, tuna salad, and lotsa veggies kind of day.  I'll take it!

peace & good night.

First day of the whole 30 completed! Rough day but proud of my fiance and I! We had prepped the protein salad the night before, and it was great (although probably not as filling as either of I hoped). I learned I probably need to eat a more substantial breakfast to start the day. Tonight I made some creole mushrooms with kale while my boyfriend works on some caramelized onion beef dish. Only 29 more days to go! I already prepped breakfast for tomorrow to start the day and he'll prep lunch so we don't have to stress.Today's also the start of us getting motivated to exercise daily - thats a before bed thing. Super pumped! 

Today was a good day.  I got a lot done around the house and errands ran but then tonight I became angry.  At pretty much everything.  I have no idea why.  I'm hoping I get my happy back on again tomorrow!

Anyone else back into the Kill all Things stage??

ksheedy2, I was there a couple of days ago. It took me by surprise! But it didn't last long. Now I'm back to feeling good. You will be too!

NancyW thank you for that info! I was really getting down. It's been going on for a few days and I felt back to square one. My husband had been such a dear, not bringing food in the house, trekking me how great I'm doing. I really wanted to kill and eat all the things today. I am so thankful for this group. I could not have made it this far without you all.

I am so frustrated at my husband.  It is looking like his schedule might actually allow him to be home for 30 days, so he'd be able to actually complete the W30 without any question as to the compliance of the foods he at while offshore.  But today he absent-mindedly popped a piece of gum in his mouth.  And chewed it for hours before he got home from work & I noticed it.  I don't understand how he could go hours without even thinking about W30.  I guess since I have been doing 100% of the shopping & cooking it is on my mind a lot more than it is on his.  Since he definitely won't have another 30 day block without travel until after the New Year, he is going to continue with the W30 as if this never happened, but we are both frustrated that he isn't really getting to do a W30.

My hamstrings are feeling better, but still tight & cramping.  I have gone into shops & looked at magnesium supplements.  But I remember the magnesium poisoning incident & just can't bring myself to buy a jar.  However, today I noticed magnesium cream on the shelf, so I bought a tube of that.  Hopefully it'll help.   I'm just about at my wit's end here with these hamstrings. DH keeps suggesting I go get a remedial massage.  And as awesome as that sounds, I don't know how we'd fit it into our schedule this week/weekend if he doesn't take a few hours off work.

I will be doing lots of house-cleaning & food-prep over the next 2 days.  Because this weekend we're doing a 3-day-potty-training bootcamp.  Not feeling really confident about taking on that task during our W30, but all of the other stars are aligning for this weekend to be the right time to do it.  Wish us luck!

I feel like I might deserve a pass from yoga tonight after all the activity I engaged in this morning when I discovered a chimney swallow lodged in the vent of the living room fireplace.  The rescue/evacuation event that took place was probably side-splitting for anyone peering in a window, but was somewhat more traumatic for the two participants. 

I'm relatively sure my pulse will be back down to normal sometime next week though. 

One bright note, it turns out I'm not completely crazy!  I was scanning through the thread on non-traditional breakfasts when I noticed this post from ShannonM816 about an Elvis Burger. 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28832-lets-talk-non-traditional-breakfasts/?p=309775

Last week I had plain burgers as part of my M4 and while sitting at the table eating them, my eyes kept straying to a packet of almond butter and contemplating spreading it on top.  I thought it was some kind of delusional state I had entered...but turns out, it's a thing!  Not only that but I could add banana and bacon?!  May just have to try at least a bite of that sometime before our last week slips past just because.  

Tonight I went to a restaurant with coworkers.  It was meh.  It was pricey and I had to cobble together a meal because they put dairy in EVERYTHING.  So, I spent a lot of cash on a piece of salmon that I can make better at home.  But alas.  I kind of knew that going into the evening.  The nice part is that I didn't stay out drinking (because we're not drinking!!) and I didn't even want dessert.  I wanted to go home and check in with all of you and then tuck myself next to my honey in bed and get a good night's sleep so I can go on an awesome run at 5:15am.  That's where my head is these days and I love it!

My energy is so good.  My mood is good.  I'm a worker bee for sure.  I think I might need to force myself to relax a bit more.  I almost feel like I could take off into the sky at any moment.  

Day 22.  Here and gone.  Tomorrow is another sweet potato, tuna salad, and lotsa veggies kind of day.  I'll take it!

peace & good night.

I can so relate to your post about eating out.  We avoided eating out as much as we could but have found ourselves needing to go out the last few days. On both occasions we went to fairly nice resteraunts and found nothing that easliy fit the bill. While they were happy to accomadate us and make us grilled fish / chicken / hamburger we found that the meat was dry and honestly didn't taste very good at all...my conclusion is that they buy crappy pieces of meat and hide with all the sauces and crap they put on top of it. My husband and I both said our meals at home are so much better and a lot cheaper....The good news is that one of the lunch guests commented on how great we both looked so Yea!

We did go to MOD pizza last night with our daughter and had a fabulous salad so I am glad to say there is at least one place we have found to dine out!

Have a great day!

Hey all

Doing well again today.  I started to get a cold on the weekend and it has settled into my chest today.  I still went for my run (6 x 400 M sprints) this morning and surprisingly had my best interval times ever today.

M1 was poached eggs, sweet potato hash and a small banana

M2 will be a 1/4 chicken, salad (evoo and balsamic) plus an apple.

M3 - will be what I decide to pick up at the store on the way home... leaning towards Paleo meatloaf or chilli.

Cheers

DJ

I can't believe I am on day 23 already!

I'm doing pretty well, but breakfasts  have been a challenge for me.  I'm not a morning person and I was never big on eating breakfast.  Prior to W30 I sometimes didn't even eat breakfast.  Other days, I'd settle on a muffin or a bagel with my coffee and it was definitely after I was awake for a couple hours.

The first couple weeks I feel like I was so caught up in cooking the meals, making sure I was following the template, and adjusting to the new schedule/changes that I just ate without much of an issue.  I was never really very hungry for breakfast but ate because I knew I was supposed to.

Now, I feel like I'm really forcing myself to eat breakfast.  I'm not hungry at all when I eat.  Does anyone else feel like they are forcing themselves to eat breakfast?

I'm hoping this is just a stage and it will get better.  Maybe my body just needs some more time to adjust?

I can so relate to your post about eating out.  We avoided eating out as much as we could but have found ourselves needing to go out the last few days. On both occasions we went to fairly nice resteraunts and found nothing that easliy fit the bill. While they were happy to accomadate us and make us grilled fish / chicken / hamburger we found that the meat was dry and honestly didn't taste very good at all...my conclusion is that they buy crappy pieces of meat and hide with all the sauces and crap they put on top of it. My husband and I both said our meals at home are so much better and a lot cheaper....The good news is that one of the lunch guests commented on how great we both looked so Yea!

We did go to MOD pizza last night with our daughter and had a fabulous salad so I am glad to say there is at least one place we have found to dine out!

Have a great day!

Shwillia, can I ask what you ate at MOD Pizza?  What protein did you choose?  We have one near our house and I love that place!  They have good salads but I like to add some non-Whole30 compliant things to my salads there to make them tasty.  :)

Does anyone else feel like they are forcing themselves to eat breakfast?

I'm hoping this is just a stage and it will get better.  Maybe my body just needs some more time to adjust?

Yup, totally, exactly, entirely me.  I was right there with you on the before, even worse I pretty much NEVER ate breakfast and occasionally skipped lunch as well on a busy day, ending up eating one meal a day around 10:00 at night.  You couldn't get much worse than me about eating regular meals.  I probably do feel hungry sometimes, I'm just so used to ignoring it that it doesn't really register.  Sigh.

That being said, I have had some progress in the last four months on this.  I do, on occasion, actually wake up and feel hungry.  It's not every day, not even now, but even while I was in reintroductions and such last month I've tried to make sure I eat something in the morning every single day.  Going back to trying to eat template meals in the morning was hard, and was part of the reason my AM yoga idea failed nearly instantly, that was way too much AM stuff. 

But I have seen changes in how my mornings go, I'm more awake and alert and like I said every once in awhile even I can't ignore the desire for food...so I do believe if you keep that habit as steady as possible going forward you will turn the corner someday on it.  I can also understand it not happening overnight or even in the first 30 though, that's not just you by a long shot!

What we need, you and I and maybe a couple others, is a Breakfast Dragon to move in to the old Sugar Dragon cave.  If we could wake up breathing fire for some eggs already!  Might be slightly dangerous for anyone in our vicinity, but that would be awesome. 

One last thing in case you hadn't seen the tip on it and are a coffee drinker, I did take their suggestion to heart to make sure I always eat before I drink coffee.  I can't say I don't sometimes use the coffee as a bribe to myself to finish eating, but I don't drink it before or even during that M1 since it's such a known appetite killer.

Hi all, I'm still here, enjoying reading your posts daily! This week is gonna FLY BY, trust me... and suddenly you will be trying to ride your own bike. We will start a new thread and stay connected, yes... those of us that have been through reintros before will try to lend support, and the moderators will pipe in too! You won't be alone.  : ) 

My advice is this: get out your pen and paper and WRITE DOWN your reintroduction plan TODAY (ok, tomorrow is fine too). In our June group, a number of folks did not do a real reintroduction process (either from lack of plan/preparation, or not understanding the reintro guidelines), and ended up regretting it... they expressed frustration that they had "gone off the rails" too quickly, reintroduced too many items at once or in too quick of succession, and were not able to benefit from one of the main things they came to the Whole30 to learn... i.e. WHICH "off plan" foods do WHAT to my body, and how to create an individual eating plan that will promote health and well-being on an ongoing basis. You WANT this!! You WORKED for this!! Make a plan NOW. This link will help: http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

...Does anyone else feel like they are forcing themselves to eat breakfast? I'm hoping this is just a stage and it will get better.  Maybe my body just needs some more time to adjust?...

Yes, my appetite for breakfast did not kick in until the end of my first Whole30. Now that my metabolism has repaired itself, I'm always hungry in the AM!

...What we need, you and I and maybe a couple others, is a Breakfast Dragon to move in to the old Sugar Dragon cave.  If we could wake up breathing fire for some eggs already!...

It can happen! I have that Dragon now (see above)!  : )

...I'm going to go through all my fridge/freezer stuff to be sure I have everything I need to get through my weekend (4 days) away...

Have a great trip NancyW... you ROCK!

So I'm thinking about reintro and how to handle it.  For my first Whole30 I did a (mostly) proper reintro and I don't recall any major issues with the off-plan food groups.  My second Whole30, I didn't really do one.  I'd like to do another proper reintro this time but I don't have a full ten days to complete it.  Day 30 will be on September 29th and then I'm going on vacation October 7th.  So I'll have 7 good days to do reintro.  I have a feeling I'll be eating from some of the off-plan food groups while on vacation so it will mess with the reintro.  Can I do a 7 day reintro instead of 10 days?  Anyone have any suggestions on how I should do this?

Soooooo, I'm having a really hard time over here. I'm so tired and am in a kill all the things mood. I've been like this at least 3 days and it's really starting to wear on me. My poor husband came home from our hairdresser and I was so angry that she messed up his hair, irrationally angry. Why is this happening?

I'm doing pretty well, but breakfasts  have been a challenge for me.  I'm not a morning person and I was never big on eating breakfast.  Prior to W30 I sometimes didn't even eat breakfast.  Other days, I'd settle on a muffin or a bagel with my coffee and it was definitely after I was awake for a couple hours.

The first couple weeks I feel like I was so caught up in cooking the meals, making sure I was following the template, and adjusting to the new schedule/changes that I just ate without much of an issue.  I was never really very hungry for breakfast but ate because I knew I was supposed to.

Now, I feel like I'm really forcing myself to eat breakfast.  I'm not hungry at all when I eat.  Does anyone else feel like they are forcing themselves to eat breakfast?

Other than continuing to TRY to eat within an hour of wakening there are some other things you can do to regulate your circadian rhythms and get your hormones back in whack such as: 

Spend 15mins in the sunlight immediately upon wakening (this encourages the production of cortisol & delays the production of melatonin) - or at least spend 15mins outdoors at the same time every day, preferably mid-day. More if it's cloudy.

Reduce blue light in the evening to encourage the production of melatonin.

Sleep in a darkened room with a temperature lower than during the day.

Forget that weekend lie in & waken at the same time (or at least roughly!) every day.

Embrace the seasons - the nights are longer in winter so sleep more in winter & likelwise sleep less in summer when the nights are shorter.

Spend as much of your free time outdoors as possible.

Once your hormones are settled you'll naturally waken hungry.

Soooooo, I'm having a really hard time over here. I'm so tired and am in a kill all the things mood. I've been like this at least 3 days and it's really starting to wear on me. My poor husband came home from our hairdresser and I was so angry that she messed up his hair, irrationally angry. Why is this happening?

Are you eating enough fat? Including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg daily? Could that time of the month be approaching for you...?

My hamstrings are feeling better, but still tight & cramping.  I have gone into shops & looked at magnesium supplements.  But I remember the magnesium poisoning incident & just can't bring myself to buy a jar.  However, today I noticed magnesium cream on the shelf, so I bought a tube of that.  Hopefully it'll help.   I'm just about at my wit's end here with these hamstrings. DH keeps suggesting I go get a remedial massage.  And as awesome as that sounds, I don't know how we'd fit it into our schedule this week/weekend if he doesn't take a few hours off work.

Try taking an Epsom salt bath, that is basically magnesium and should help sore hamstrings, it helped mine after a long run. It will also help with sleep so do that before bed, good luck!

Day 23 is a headachy day for me.  I'm wondering what was in my restaurant dinner last night.  I am tired today too.  Not my typical Whole30 self.  I'm going to get lots of rest tonight and hopefully be feeling amazing again tomorrow!

So nice to read about planning for the future (post Whole30) and even staying in touch through a new conversation.  I don't know that I'll quit after September 30 and I need to think about that.  My anniversary is October 3 and I plan on a glass of prosecco and I miss my chewing gum.  Cheese and grains and legumes?  Not so much.  And sugar and desserts?...I want more time with my new non-snacking lifestyle.  I'm not feeling that habit is totally formed and I want to make sure it is before the holidays.

Hoping you are all enjoying your days and evenings and meals and friends and lives!

peace

I feel that too. I've never wanted to eat much in the mornings. I did wake up hungry once this week, so I'm hopeful that will happen again. My mornings have been busy as well, with a sick dog to take care of and trying to get everyone out of the house with everything they need.

I found out late yesterday that I will have to take a business trip Monday morning through Wednesday afternoon next week. I will be traveling with a coworker and will not have access to a car other than what he can provide. How do I deal with possibly having to bring three days worth of food with me?! I can bring a small cooler, but probably not much more than that. I won't have control over where or when we eat, either, for the most part. Tips? You've all been so helpful this month -- I really appreciate everyone's responses, and I want to finish strong despite this challenge.

@misslindy, I read it as you intended, and I very much appreciated your words!

I re-read my posts from yesterday -- lots of typos for me. I was trying to talk about compliant vs. non-compliant foods, but instead I wrote about "complaint and non-complaint foods," which totally changed the meaning. (And made the post somewhat hilarious!)

So now we know one thing that doesn't improve on Whole 30: Spelling!

So I have been sitting here laughing at your post, honestly the brain fog doesn't leave first does it???? I just try to get something down so I am still part of this journey, yesterday I was in reading posts and almost late for an appointment! What are we like?

Yup, totally, exactly, entirely me.  I was right there with you on the before, even worse I pretty much NEVER ate breakfast and occasionally skipped lunch as well on a busy day, ending up eating one meal a day around 10:00 at night.  You couldn't get much worse than me about eating regular meals.  I probably do feel hungry sometimes, I'm just so used to ignoring it that it doesn't really register.  Sigh.

That being said, I have had some progress in the last four months on this.  I do, on occasion, actually wake up and feel hungry.  It's not every day, not even now, but even while I was in reintroductions and such last month I've tried to make sure I eat something in the morning every single day.  Going back to trying to eat template meals in the morning was hard, and was part of the reason my AM yoga idea failed nearly instantly, that was way too much AM stuff. 

But I have seen changes in how my mornings go, I'm more awake and alert and like I said every once in awhile even I can't ignore the desire for food...so I do believe if you keep that habit as steady as possible going forward you will turn the corner someday on it.  I can also understand it not happening overnight or even in the first 30 though, that's not just you by a long shot!

What we need, you and I and maybe a couple others, is a Breakfast Dragon to move in to the old Sugar Dragon cave.  If we could wake up breathing fire for some eggs already!  Might be slightly dangerous for anyone in our vicinity, but that would be awesome. 

One last thing in case you hadn't seen the tip on it and are a coffee drinker, I did take their suggestion to heart to make sure I always eat before I drink coffee.  I can't say I don't sometimes use the coffee as a bribe to myself to finish eating, but I don't drink it before or even during that M1 since it's such a known appetite killer.

I used to be a non-eater until I checked emails, did a few chores and and and... often would be late afternoon and still no food in. So I could join your Breakfast Dragon club too. Mind you since doing W30 I often am hungry in the morning, not ravenous but hungry. I am making more effort to eat within the time frame and that helps, also have almost double my breakfast in the past two weeks and that seems to make a difference too. We are all so individual, but I think we need to find what we like to eat and that will help us looking forward to the meal.

You don't have to justify yourself to anyone but yourself--and that isn't justification it is a decision. Basically they are just elements to keep you on your path, (can you tell I am a bit annoyed as well????). However they will serve to keep you motoring on your way so you have learned you can be you in the midst of the craziness. Take care of yourself--and your bumped head. xxxL

I agree. I don't have to justify myself and how I eat. I have one co-worker that is snarky. I think that is a made up word but that is how I describe her. Her attitude is more motivating than anything. Today she offered me produce out of someone's garden that she would not eat but not without asking, 'can you eat that?' I don't have to justify myself any more than I have to educate her. I think the end results will speak for themselves-better health, better skin, more energy and that great by-product of reduced waistline. 

Archived