Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Hi all! I am quite the jumbled up conglomeration of W30 results these days... As soon as I wake from my nap, I'm going to kill ALL the things, and I'm going to do it with more energy than I'd ever believed possible! Yeah, I've been a bear lately. May not be W30 related. But the idea of being in two such different places makes me want to giggle, so it can't all be a bad thing!

Off to face more work than I can ever possibly get done in one day... Good thing I have all this energy!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I've been waiting for - I love the shift that is going on in this forum!  I couldn't wait to start reading about the positive results.  It's all so motivating for me!  Now that the posts are slowing down a bit, I'll give you all my story.  I'm a 39 year old wife and mother of two.  I've been exercising for years and I felt like I was a pretty healthy person.  In the spring, I was training for a half marathon and I got sick.  Like really sick.  Everyone in my office had what doctors labeled Bronchitis.  I was the only one who didn't recover within a couple of weeks.  Meanwhile, I went in for routine blood work and we saw that my GFR (kidney function stuff) was low.  The doctor said it was probably a fluke and I was most likely dehydrated.  I drank buckets of water for 3 weeks and went back and it was lower.  Several tests later I mentioned to my doctor that I still had a low-grade fever and terrible body aches.  She had me tested for an autoimmune disorder.  That came back positive so she had another test run on my titers to make sure it wasn't a false positive which also came back indicating an autoimmune.  After all of this and the body aches, kidney issues, I had extreme cotton mouth and dry eyes... my doctor gave me a tentative diagnosis of Sjogren's and referred me to a Rheumatologist.  Another thing that had been going on was that I was getting one over-use injury after another from running.  I was going to PT and he couldn't help me get to the root of the problems.  So, while I was waiting the 3 weeks to get in with the Rheumatologist, I saw a book entitled, "This is Why You Are Sick and Tired, and How to Look and Feel Amazing", by Jackie Warner.  I thought to myself I'M SICK AND TIRED - I should try this.  So began my journey of food eliminations.  I did a 10 day all vegan and no sugar detox after reading that book and I felt amazing.  When I got in with the Rheumatologist, all of my symptoms were gone.  He told me the ANA test was negative!  I really believe in the effects of food.  I knew I couldn't be vegan forever and I also noticed when I ate too many veggie sandwiches (on bread), I would get achy again.  Thus, more research that lead me to Whole30.  I am on day 18.  My knees are no longer stiff when I walk up stairs.  I don't have to wait to get moving while I do an inventory of the day's aches and pains when I rise from bed.  I feel good!  I've already mentioned the skin victory, but I wanted to let you all know what else I have going on as far as NSV's.  Oh, and my mood is so much better!  I am so even keel now.  My son (13 1/2) put that to test last night.  I think I surprised us both by staying so calm and rational.  :P I'm so proud of you all and I love all of the stories.  You should all also be proud for investing the time and energy to take care of yourselves.  Way to take action!  Too many people are looking for that magic pill but you are all putting forth the work to make yourselves better.  Take a minute to relish in that and feel the pride.

Love hearing all the NSV! I have to admit I'm not feeling amazing but I'm in the middle of my cycle and that always makes me tired/bloated. I'm taking a day off work tomorrow to stay home and rest. This first month of school is killer in first grade. I think whole30 is the only reason I'm not comotose after work. I have hashi's so I have lower expectations about weight loss but I am going to my dr soon to check all my levels. Last night I made a really good and easy chicken coconut curry from clothesmakethegirl that I ate over sweet potatoes. My husband liked it too. I did go out and pick some raspberries from our bushes and eat that with a little coconut milk for a snack. I'm not going to beat myself up about 1 serving of fruit. :)

PWO-hadboiled egg and prosciutto, coffee

PoWO-Egg white and sweet potato (I basically eat this in the shower!)

M1-spinich/mushroom frittata, sausage, sweet potato

M2-Leftover chicken curry over sweet potato, clementine

M3-Grilled shrimp, cauliflower rice and cilantro lime mayo.

Great Post ChristinaCJ  and Congrats Crimson and the rest of the crew feeling and seeing results.  Positive feedback is important and motivating.  I can tell you that I don't have a dress in the back of my closet but I have had my own weight issues for my entire life.  

I used to focus on the scale, weight and pant size as metrics for my "health" and struggled mightily at this.  I have a friend here at work that runs marathons, is absolutely gorgeous and always has negative comments about her weight and lets the scale dictate her mood.

I can say that with the help of W30 and with a new fitness focus on being "able to do" rather than "how much" or "how far", I find myself really changing towards metrics of quality of life and functional ability rather than my numbers on a scale, my pant size and how much I can bench press.  It is amazing how uplifting and freeing this change in focus can be.  Don't get me wrong.  This does not mean that I am apathetic about my workouts or my nutrition... I still end up gasping for breath on my garage floor and I still focus on the quality of the food I eat, but I do it for different reasons and with a different end goal.

The scale never made me happy or sad because on data point never defined my mood but it used to be a ritual measurement every morning.  This is no longer the case.  I do weigh myself once-a-month, or so, now but it is by no means a focus.  Similarly, exercise in itself has become so valuable to me and my well-being.  I relish the process and the "ability to do" knowing that as I age, I have helped to build a base which will serve me well in my future.

OK... Now the downer side of today's post.  I too am noticing differences in how I look and I both appreciate and am motivated by these changes.  I almost spit out my coffee I was drinking when I read the "fit into my dress but then I got pregnant (so I must have looked good)" comment.  Good Stuff!!  I am also keenly aware that it is always when I get some measure of personal success that I find some way to sabotage or undermine my success.  

For me the "I deserve this" quote has been a personal revolution cry against long-standing positive change.  The "reward" mentality for me has been toxic.  I am keenly aware and highly motivated to keep rewards where "I deserve this" out of my vocabulary.  In my case, and I suspect others, this type of thinking has been the second (forth, sixth, ...) "Yo" in a series of "Yo Yo" weight struggles that help define my life. In my case, I am very mindful (hence admitting it here) that I need to keep focused on my new metrics and my new goals rather than letting the "reward spiral" have me half way through a 2 Lbs bag of Jube Jubes quicker than you can say "the sugar dragon has arrived".

While on the W30, I never have an issue with rewards as I am very dedicated to short term goals (and I love the rules of W30), however, when I am doing re-introduction and trying to off-road on my own (even with training wheels) I often fall and fall pretty hard.  I wanted to post this to remind you all to embrace the positives and know that healthier is better but don't let "I deserve this" become a mantra for regression.

With that said... today is another great, great day.  I feel good, I am exactly where I need to be and I am enjoying this journey down the W30 hiking trail immensely.  A big part of that is the support and feedback we all share here in the forum.  

Great Job everyone and, as always, thanks for listening.

Cheers

DJ

I will take that challenge, vozelle!  Now that company is gone - it was exhausting for me - I should have the time and energy to make something the night before.  I'm still struggling with finding something eggless (allergy) that sounds appetizing in the morning but will search tonight.  Maybe I can eat my breakfast while watching the ducklings tomorrow morning.  The goats won't be interested once they realize it contains meat :)

Ooh, I forgot you have the egg allergy! Good thing there are so many non-egg meal options... Epic bars are also great for portable protein if you're on-the-go and don't have the luxury of prep time (next time company comes!): https://epicbar.com/. They are stocked at Whole Foods and other health food stores. I LOVE the bacon one!

...  :P I'm so proud of you all and I love all of the stories.  You should all also be proud for investing the time and energy to take care of yourselves.  Way to take action!  Too many people are looking for that magic pill but you are all putting forth the work to make yourselves better.  Take a minute to relish in that and feel the pride.

Loved your post/story, and the GREAT pep-talk to the group! We all deserve a ton of self-love and celebration!! Ya-Hoo!

vozelle, you are such a treasure and a fountain of information, many thanks. Lindy

...just trying to be supportive! You guys have helped me so much too... this is a wonderful, strong community! Blessings to us all!  : )

Hello

I had a shock last night--I have been eating off plan without intending to--didn't know sugar snap peas/snow peas were not the same as regular peas and I have been eating them since the beginning, also am not eating enough and using the wrong oil.

I am sure some of you must have heard the noise from NZ last night--I was so upset and it brought up so many issues for me. I have failed, can't do anything right--and on and on. Well I got over it and dried the tears, worked through the horrors and decided today is a new day. I was just going to make the changes and carry on but then thought I couldn't do that in all honesty so DAY 0 today for me.

I will be checking in here more regularly so am off for breakfast now and then into town for some proper oil, more ghee and veg, and meat.  Will read more posts later.

Older but wiser for sure :)

Hey there, I'm still here. Just sat down to binge-read all the posts I could between prepping/making BBQ sauce and another batch of Spanish picalillo made with ground lamb this time. Yum, can't wait.

Negotiated the roshashana meal/social gathering with flying colors. Had a really good few YAY days (YAY for me in my W30journal = no snack after M3 where I really do damage with nuts, fruit or other compliant foodstuff). I'm having lots of energy, sleeping much better, my sense of smell is definitely returning and that is truly a miracle!

Saw the scale out from its hiding place-- I think my husband pulled it out and didn't put it back. Had a fleeting yearn to step on. Thought about my good habits promise and walked by the room. I'm happy with my other victories and not worried about the weight thing. For once in my life. I feel strong and in control. The daily newsletter also is a huge help and is so right on. If you haven't signed on you might give it a try.

I love you guys. Talked about the great support group to my dinner companions the other night and they were amazed. I am so motivated by all of the posts and you are in my daily gratitude list.

I did a Whole 30 last September and had great results. I noticed the biggest changes days 16-30. Keep it up everyone!

M1- 2 scrambled eggs w/ spinach, smoked salmon, apple, tomato, 1/2 avacado

M2- Steak, steamed broccoli, 1/2 avacado

M3- Grilled turkey cutlet, asparagus

Crossfit Endurancethis evening.

P.S. All of my M-W meals are cooked in a break room. You can do so much with a George Foreman Grill, Crockpot, griddle, and microwave.

Yikes. I got worried for a second, but I thought I remembered reading that they were compliant. Regular peas, no go tho?

Regular peas are a no go, and it was the regular peas misslindy had been munching on.

As I said to her in another thread though, she has not failed - any changes she has made so far have been positive ones, and from here on in she just gets to do even better...

Tiger blood is roaring through me! I even did a third class at the Y today. It was new class starting today for seniors called Brains and Balance. We do memory puzzles and exercises to improve balance. I think it will be a good class. I also did yoga and water aerobics. Then I can home and cleaned the house! Prior to W30 I went to the gym and then sat around all afternoon thinking about what I should be doing but how tired I was.  I'm so happy to see so many of us still posting and hanging in there. We're on the downhill side now and what a ride it is.

Regular peas are a no go, and it was the regular peas misslindy had been munching on.

As I said to her in another thread though, she has not failed - any changes she has made so far have been positive ones, and from here on in she just gets to do even better...

Ooops, I had that backwards. But that's the kind of day it's been!  :blink:

I haven't got tiger blood yet, and I am happy to wait patiently. While I did eat a lot of healthy stuff in the months before starting this, I also did a lot of binge-eating of sweets and chips. A LOT. So every day on this Whole30 is a gift of better health! Thanks for being here to share in the fun!

This is what I've been waiting for - I love the shift that is going on in this forum!  I couldn't wait to start reading about the positive results.  It's all so motivating for me!  Now that the posts are slowing down a bit, I'll give you all my story.  I'm a 39 year old wife and mother of two.  I've been exercising for years and I felt like I was a pretty healthy person.  In the spring, I was training for a half marathon and I got sick.  Like really sick.  Everyone in my office had what doctors labeled Bronchitis.  I was the only one who didn't recover within a couple of weeks.  Meanwhile, I went in for routine blood work and we saw that my GFR (kidney function stuff) was low.  The doctor said it was probably a fluke and I was most likely dehydrated.  I drank buckets of water for 3 weeks and went back and it was lower.  Several tests later I mentioned to my doctor that I still had a low-grade fever and terrible body aches.  She had me tested for an autoimmune disorder.  That came back positive so she had another test run on my titers to make sure it wasn't a false positive which also came back indicating an autoimmune.  After all of this and the body aches, kidney issues, I had extreme cotton mouth and dry eyes... my doctor gave me a tentative diagnosis of Sjogren's and referred me to a Rheumatologist.  Another thing that had been going on was that I was getting one over-use injury after another from running.  I was going to PT and he couldn't help me get to the root of the problems.  So, while I was waiting the 3 weeks to get in with the Rheumatologist, I saw a book entitled, "This is Why You Are Sick and Tired, and How to Look and Feel Amazing", by Jackie Warner.  I thought to myself I'M SICK AND TIRED - I should try this.  So began my journey of food eliminations.  I did a 10 day all vegan and no sugar detox after reading that book and I felt amazing.  When I got in with the Rheumatologist, all of my symptoms were gone.  He told me the ANA test was negative!  I really believe in the effects of food.  I knew I couldn't be vegan forever and I also noticed when I ate too many veggie sandwiches (on bread), I would get achy again.  Thus, more research that lead me to Whole30.  I am on day 18.  My knees are no longer stiff when I walk up stairs.  I don't have to wait to get moving while I do an inventory of the day's aches and pains when I rise from bed.  I feel good!  I've already mentioned the skin victory, but I wanted to let you all know what else I have going on as far as NSV's.  Oh, and my mood is so much better!  I am so even keel now.  My son (13 1/2) put that to test last night.  I think I surprised us both by staying so calm and rational.  :P I'm so proud of you all and I love all of the stories.  You should all also be proud for investing the time and energy to take care of yourselves.  Way to take action!  Too many people are looking for that magic pill but you are all putting forth the work to make yourselves better.  Take a minute to relish in that and feel the pride.

What a wonderful journey, thanks for telling us about it. You are amazing and so positive. 

Great Post ChristinaCJ  and Congrats Crimson and the rest of the crew feeling and seeing results.  Positive feedback is important and motivating.  I can tell you that I don't have a dress in the back of my closet but I have had my own weight issues for my entire life.  

I used to focus on the scale, weight and pant size as metrics for my "health" and struggled mightily at this.  I have a friend here at work that runs marathons, is absolutely gorgeous and always has negative comments about her weight and lets the scale dictate her mood.

I can say that with the help of W30 and with a new fitness focus on being "able to do" rather than "how much" or "how far", I find myself really changing towards metrics of quality of life and functional ability rather than my numbers on a scale, my pant size and how much I can bench press.  It is amazing how uplifting and freeing this change in focus can be.  Don't get me wrong.  This does not mean that I am apathetic about my workouts or my nutrition... I still end up gasping for breath on my garage floor and I still focus on the quality of the food I eat, but I do it for different reasons and with a different end goal.

The scale never made me happy or sad because on data point never defined my mood but it used to be a ritual measurement every morning.  This is no longer the case.  I do weigh myself once-a-month, or so, now but it is by no means a focus.  Similarly, exercise in itself has become so valuable to me and my well-being.  I relish the process and the "ability to do" knowing that as I age, I have helped to build a base which will serve me well in my future.

OK... Now the downer side of today's post.  I too am noticing differences in how I look and I both appreciate and am motivated by these changes.  I almost spit out my coffee I was drinking when I read the "fit into my dress but then I got pregnant (so I must have looked good)" comment.  Good Stuff!!  I am also keenly aware that it is always when I get some measure of personal success that I find some way to sabotage or undermine my success.  

For me the "I deserve this" quote has been a personal revolution cry against long-standing positive change.  The "reward" mentality for me has been toxic.  I am keenly aware and highly motivated to keep rewards where "I deserve this" out of my vocabulary.  In my case, and I suspect others, this type of thinking has been the second (forth, sixth, ...) "Yo" in a series of "Yo Yo" weight struggles that help define my life. In my case, I am very mindful (hence admitting it here) that I need to keep focused on my new metrics and my new goals rather than letting the "reward spiral" have me half way through a 2 Lbs bag of Jube Jubes quicker than you can say "the sugar dragon has arrived".

While on the W30, I never have an issue with rewards as I am very dedicated to short term goals (and I love the rules of W30), however, when I am doing re-introduction and trying to off-road on my own (even with training wheels) I often fall and fall pretty hard.  I wanted to post this to remind you all to embrace the positives and know that healthier is better but don't let "I deserve this" become a mantra for regression.

With that said... today is another great, great day.  I feel good, I am exactly where I need to be and I am enjoying this journey down the W30 hiking trail immensely.  A big part of that is the support and feedback we all share here in the forum.  

Great Job everyone and, as always, thanks for listening.

Cheers

DJ

Hi DJ

'I deserve this' 'I'm worth it' are both major triggers for me--could shoot someone for inventing those phrases (well not really, more like a slow death in a slow cooker!) So I can empathize with you and I have found that appreciating small things about myself, just because, brings a smile to my soul. The other day I looked in the mirror and I noticed my hair looked absolutely amazing, shiny, bouncy and lovely lovely lovely. Set me up for the day. I love discovering things I like about myself, that keeps me going longer and stronger. :)

Day 2 and on track so far...I find the afternoons hardest as I have clearly been used to grazing thru 3pm until dinner. I am not hungry though. I feel like I have eaten more than I usually do and definitely more water. I thought I would miss the milk in my tea but so far I am ok. It is interesting that I think I have a sensitivity to dairy and crave it. Tonight I am going to attempt to make cod cakes based on the salmon cakes recipe. Too much salmon already for my pescatarian teen. Will let u know how it works if successful.

I found a compliant almond milk at Whole Foods...it's Whole 365 Unsweetened Almond Milk.  Maybe try this in your tea.

Yes, as I said to someone else: NO MORE PEAING for me! Never mind. Once I got over my shock and realized so many childhood issues were rearing their ugly little faces yet again, and my major disappointment at not finishing the 30 days with all of you, I shook myself off and am on the programme again. :)

I had a problem finding it at WF this past weekend too.  I was able to get it two weeks ago and last week all they had was the applewood bacon.  I was so sad. I was really looking forward to making that recipe floating around for quiche with the sweet potato 'crust' using that bacon. I'm going to use ground sausage instead but I am on a mission though because that bacon is so good.  :)

Wellshire Farms has a paleo bacon at Whole Foods.  Regular and turkey.  They're both really good.

So today is my significan other's B-day. Being the sweet guy that he is, he agreed that it would be too hard for me not to eat the foods I love, if we went out. Mind you, I have the mindset of saying no to such food. So i wouldn't eat it, I would just want to.

On a different not, I did bake him Ginger Molassas cookies, for the first time, he noticed how much sugar and  butter goes into a batch of cookies. He was dumbfounded. Normally I warn him that eating 5 cookies right out of the oven isn't the best for him. This time he limited himself to one. I however, didn't even accidentally lick my fingers, (muscle memory when I'm done baking, lol). 

We're half way there, and I'm really proud of how mindful I am. Hope everyone is doing just as great.

M2- Green chili chicked from Stupid Easy Paleo, Sweet potato, half avacado

I made that chicken last weekend - it was great! Still eating it, in fact :)

I've been feeling tired again the past few days -- not sure why. Hope it'll go away.

This weekend I'm going to a housewarming party for my cousin, and he said it's fine if I bring my own food, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm excited for him!

Then, another Sunday morning with the kiddos and hopefully a quieter afternoon and evening.

Can't believe we've already made it halfway through the month! One of the fun parts of this for me has been trying new foods and discovering which ones I like (okra, kombucha) and which ones I don't (jicama). Eager to see what the rest of the month is like.

Archived