how do you deal with blood sugar lows?

I'm only on day 4 but have already experienced some serious low blood sugars. What a difference this program has made for me so quickly! I'm wondering what the best course of action is to get out of a low and stay compliant. Are glucose tablets allowed if say, fruit, isn't working fast enough?

This was posted by SpinSpin, one of our members who is a type 1 Diabetes sufferer yesterday in response to a similar question:

Posted Yesterday, 05:38 PM

I agree with ultrarunner. I am a type 1 diabetic, and I have been told time and time again, don't do bars or grapes or raisins or what not to bring my blood sugar up. Things that need to be digested do not work -- as told to me by my diabetic nurse. Tomato juice, fruit juice, milk (not done during a whole30) and then protein and fat to hold my blood sugar level. I typically do hardboiled eggs, mayo, or chicken or tuna or whatever protein/fat we have. 

Hope this helps....

My dr (who is also a diabetic btw) suggest to me to have what is essentially a mini meal at bedtime, since the majority of my lows are over night/early morning. So I typically have a hard boiled egg, some veggies -- baby carrots, celery sticks, bell peppers -- something like that -- and a homemade dip with whole30 mayo. SInce adjusting my insulin down and having the snack, I have had much better morning numbers. 

I'm a type 1 on a pump and on day 21 of my second whole 30. I keep a bag of raisins and almonds in my purse. That helps me come up if I'm low or headed down. I also keep mini juice boxes around but prefer to not do juice if possible. I've had to really lower my insulin and am taking less than ever before

• 6 months later...

Hello I am with Megan on this one.  I have found that one of those serving size boxes of raisins brings my blood sugar back up faster than glucose tablets ever did.  I am also a type 1 diabetic on a pump and  I am on day 24 of the program.  I have dropped my basal insulin down to almost nothing and no longer bolusing for meals unless it includes potatoes.  I also use nuts after the raisins to help hold the levels.  I have only had 3 instances where my blood sugar was over 200 since day 2 of this program.  I have felt great up until this week where I have had a huge amount of chest congestion and also 2 of the 3 instances of high blood sugar.  I also was eating before  bed to try and keep the levels up but it was not really working.  The doctor and I have finally got my basal amounts down to where I can hold steady all day with only 3 meals instead of constant snacking.  Now I will admit the doctor does not approve of this diet saying you have to have carbs for energy and too much protein is bad but has gave me approval since my numbers first week in were better than they have been since I started seeing him 2 years ago.

Archived