I'm on day 15, and cravings are hitting really bad. I was at a baby shower (for my brother and sister-in-law and my nephew who are all living with us) yesterday and there was carrot cake, it was so difficult to stay away from it. And not only that, it (and all the food) was brought back to our house and so it's just hanging out in the kitchen. I'm having a really, really hard time with cravings! What do you do when cravings hit? Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated!

• Administrators

Hi,

Often when cravings feel overwhelming it can be because you are either hungry and it's meal time or because you haven't been eating enough overall or enough of something (fat or starchy veggies are usual culprits).

Feel free to post a few days worth of your food intake here including portions and we can see if you are on track.  Cravings are annoying but shouldn't be more than an irritation for a few moments before they pass.

I'm on day 15, and cravings are hitting really bad. I was at a baby shower (for my brother and sister-in-law and my nephew who are all living with us) yesterday and there was carrot cake, it was so difficult to stay away from it. And not only that, it (and all the food) was brought back to our house and so it's just hanging out in the kitchen. I'm having a really, really hard time with cravings! What do you do when cravings hit? Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated!

A bit of encouragement, from a previously sugar-addicted girl: the cravings do lessen! I was a soda first thing every morning kind of girl...I ate fairly healthy besides that vice, but sugar was my weakness.

At first, I had to avoid the soda machine at all costs, or get some carbonated water (it helped to be in the can!), but I have eventually come to a point that I don't crave sodas or sugar drinks any more. I can walk into the break room (even eat there) without digging through my purse to get some change, lol.

I do struggle with other foods when it is right in front of me, but I've conveniently placed my glass in front of the bread my husband is eating, or focused on the food on my plate vs what is on his.

I can't promise it will be easy (it still isn't for me on day 19), but it does get easier! If I get nothing else out of this, getting away from my addictions (sugar truly can be addictive) will be worth each day.

Hi,

Often when cravings feel overwhelming it can be because you are either hungry and it's meal time or because you haven't been eating enough overall or enough of something (fat or starchy veggies are usual culprits).

Feel free to post a few days worth of your food intake here including portions and we can see if you are on track.  Cravings are annoying but shouldn't be more than an irritation for a few moments before they pass.

I was told that I wasn't eating enough actually on another forum, so you're probably right. Specifically, do you know if it is often that someone is lacking in carbs, fats, or proteins when you get intense cravings? Overall I think my intake isn't enough, which I'm working on of course, but I was just curious.

Here's a link to my log (if that works): http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29987-whole30-journey/

Thank you so much for your help!

A bit of encouragement, from a previously sugar-addicted girl: the cravings do lessen! I was a soda first thing every morning kind of girl...I ate fairly healthy besides that vice, but sugar was my weakness.

At first, I had to avoid the soda machine at all costs, or get some carbonated water (it helped to be in the can!), but I have eventually come to a point that I don't crave sodas or sugar drinks any more. I can walk into the break room (even eat there) without digging through my purse to get some change, lol.

I do struggle with other foods when it is right in front of me, but I've conveniently placed my glass in front of the bread my husband is eating, or focused on the food on my plate vs what is on his.

I can't promise it will be easy (it still isn't for me on day 19), but it does get easier! If I get nothing else out of this, getting away from my addictions (sugar truly can be addictive) will be worth each day.

I definitely agree that sugar is addictive! Beyond even the book (which demonstrates so well how it can hijack the brain by altering the natural responses), I've done some of my own research for some of my psych classes, and it really acts like an addictive substance because it (at the very least) releases a bunch of dopamine, which is a pretty awesome feeling and keeps us coming back again and again. 

Do you use any distractions or activities that seem to help when a craving hits for you?

• Administrators

Oh boy.  Yep, not eating enough overall.  At all.  In your case I would surmise that the cravings are your body crying out for what it knows are dense calorie sources (carrot cake with frosting being a pretty good one).  

I'm going to pop back into your log and comment there on how you might like to tweak your meal planning.  

To answer your question about what you might be lacking when craving, since you are struggling with carby fatty stuff I would say you're missing carbs and fat.  ;)  

Oh boy.  Yep, not eating enough overall.  At all.  In your case I would surmise that the cravings are your body crying out for what it knows are dense calorie sources (carrot cake with frosting being a pretty good one).  

I'm going to pop back into your log and comment there on how you might like to tweak your meal planning.  

To answer your question about what you might be lacking when craving, since you are struggling with carby fatty stuff I would say you're missing carbs and fat.   ;)

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Archived