Trader Joe's Apple Chardonnay Chicken Sausages

Lissa Kristine

I went to TJ's today to look around to get some ideas for what to get for my Whole30 next month. I came across these Apple Chardonnay Chicken Sausages, but I can't tell if they are compliant or not.

Ingredients are chicken, dehydrated apples, salt,roasted onion, celery juice powder, white pepper, nutmeg, theyme, ginger, chardonnay, rosemary, and pork casing.  

The only ingredient I'm unsure of is the chardonnay. I know the rest of the ingredient are ok. 

Thanks for the help!

I love the Aidells ones (my parents have a Costco membership; I do not). It's just a shame because the TJ ones are $3.99. My local grocery store has Aidells for $5.49. 

A couple of the other TJ sausages, however, are compliant, so I'll manage. I just wasn't sure if the Apple Chardonnay ones were ok or not because my Google search of Chardonnay gave me "a type of grape" as a result. 

• Administrators

I just wasn't sure if the Apple Chardonnay ones were ok or not because my Google search of Chardonnay gave me "a type of grape" as a result.

You could always email TJ and ask them. I suspect if they are marketing it as an Apple Chardonnay sausage that either it's a misnomer meant to allude to wine in the product or there is actually wine in the product. Better safe than sorry.

When wine or other alcohol is used in cooking, the alcohol is burned off leaving only the grape taste.

If alcohol is listed in the ingredients list of a product you purchase, or used in your home cooking or while dining out, it's out for a Whole30, sorry. 

I love the Aidells ones (my parents have a Costco membership; I do not). It's just a shame because the TJ ones are $3.99. My local grocery store has Aidells for $5.49. 

A couple of the other TJ sausages, however, are compliant, so I'll manage. I just wasn't sure if the Apple Chardonnay ones were ok or not because my Google search of Chardonnay gave me "a type of grape" as a result. 

Wine varieties are named after the types of grape that go into creating them so there are chardonnay grapes, merlot grapes, etc. If the package referenced "chardonnay grapes" then I'd say that you're in the clear and they're just referencing that a specific grape variety was used. With it being listed as just "chardonnay" then I would assume that they use wine.

I never understood the rule against alcohol. I mean, I understand not DRINKING it, but as an ingredient in cooking etc (including vanilla extract) I'm not sure why it isn't allowed. I don't cook with it much (and I don't drink at all), but I'm a little confused as to why it's not allowed. 

• Administrators

I never understood the rule against alcohol. I mean, I understand not DRINKING it, but as an ingredient in cooking etc (including vanilla extract) I'm not sure why it isn't allowed. I don't cook with it much (and I don't drink at all), but I'm a little confused as to why it's not allowed. 

Basically because a line had to be drawn and the easiest and simplest way for people to do an elimination is to draw a firm line in the sand.  NO sugar.  NO soy. NO dairy.  And...NO alcohol.  

Here's a little blurb from Melissa about vanilla: Vanilla Extract: No

Honestly, we think this ruling is kind of silly (nobody uses vanilla extract for the buzz), but we must be consistent with the guidelines to avoid confusion. The vast majority of vanilla extracts you can purchase for home use (in-store and online) contain alcohol, and the rest contain sugar alcohols. And, since we ask you to exclude alcohol and all forms of sugar from your Whole30, vanilla extracts are non-compliant. (If you see vanilla extract listed as an ingredient, you can count that product out for your Whole30, too.)

Tip: You can  use 100% vanilla bean powder in place of vanilla extract. We use it in a 1:1 ratio in recipes (1 tsp. vanilla extract = 1 tsp. vanilla bean powder).

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.6nHDSpJ0.dpuf

Archived