Shocked by ingredients in chicken

StarLiteSkyGazer

Hello all. I'm rather new to the Whole 30. My husband and I are on day 7 and while we buy whatever we can organic, pasturized or grass fed, this week the budget has been tight.

I had decided to take a look at meats in our local "Big box" store that carries a few items I have found useful during our Whole30. I had picked up a large package of raw chicken when I noticed it mentioned something about containing broth. I looked at the ingredients and was shocked that cane sugar was an ingredient! Here I am, thinking I'm buying raw chicken with nothing added and I suppose for flavor purposes, they had already added some sort of broth to it. It really was an eye opener. 

So, I suppose it was a good lesson for me not to assume; that even raw meats could have added sugar!

Sharon Q.

• Moderators

Yep, join the Label Reading Club. Often the prepackaged chicken and other meat items are processed before they get to us. The ones that are usually okay are the meats in your grocer's cooler that look like they were portioned into the styro plate and then wrapped in Saran Wrap.

• 5 months later...

Hello all. I'm rather new to the Whole 30. My husband and I are on day 7 and while we buy whatever we can organic, pasturized or grass fed, this week the budget has been tight.

I had decided to take a look at meats in our local "Big box" store that carries a few items I have found useful during our Whole30. I had picked up a large package of raw chicken when I noticed it mentioned something about containing broth. I looked at the ingredients and was shocked that cane sugar was an ingredient! Here I am, thinking I'm buying raw chicken with nothing added and I suppose for flavor purposes, they had already added some sort of broth to it. It really was an eye opener. 

So, I suppose it was a good lesson for me not to assume; that even raw meats could have added sugar!

Sharon Q.

I know! It's insane, isn't it??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I stopped shopping at Kroger and shifted to Publix in part because almost all Kroger chicken was injected with stuff I did not want to eat. 

Does this include the "Simple Truth" brand at Kroger? That's most of the chicken I eat (No Publix in small town MS! Kroger is the best of the best for us), and I can't recall if I've ever checked the ingredients.

I know my Kroger sometimes has Simple Truth rotisserie chickens that are only chicken & salt. (Love those! Just wish they'd cook up some organic/free-range ones sometimes.)

• Moderators

Does this include the "Simple Truth" brand at Kroger? That's most of the chicken I eat (No Publix in small town MS! Kroger is the best of the best for us), and I can't recall if I've ever checked the ingredients.

I know my Kroger sometimes has Simple Truth rotisserie chickens that are only chicken & salt. (Love those! Just wish they'd cook up some organic/free-range ones sometimes.)

If they inject it, it has to be listed on the labelling... ask the Kroger meat department when you're there next but you should be able to read the labels and see what's in the bird :)

Archived