Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bwwwwaaaahaaaahaaaaaa. teehee-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793  There is a Bluegill on the wall.  He's always been on my wall.  I have frickety frick frick fish all over the place.

Dreamland-Fish-Book-DL978-81-8451-355-4-

I have real fish mounts on my walls.  Fish in the fridge, on the walls and down the halls.  I'm loaded to the gills with fish.  

CostaRicaFishSpecies.jpg

The BIL who has a very dry sense of humor, can make you laugh hysterically just by opening his mouth..comes into the house and covers his eyes with a hand,  he throws the other one exactly over the top of the Bluegill print on the wall  {the one with all of the fish species} and says..."Ooooo, don't tell me, it's a Bluegill."   He looks around at all of the fish, aquarium1-smiley.gif?1292867549 rolling his eyes and wonders if he's stepped into the Twilight Zone or a fish hatchery.

Trout Pout takes on an entirely different meaning at our house.  aquarium2-smiley.gif?1292867549

I'm here :)  Have been very busy with work and such...  my 12 hours shift yesterday turned into 20 (and 6 miles walked).  Up early this morning to get the youngest off to school, then to help my dad cut down a couple really big trees from my front yard (it looks rather bare now).  Then back to work to get some admin stuff done that I didn't yesterday.  I just can't seem to get caught up.   One of these days I need to write down all the projects, committees, etc that I have gotten involved in.....  whew.

Anyway, I have caught up on the conversation:

As far as fish - I think that some people don't eat meat and fish because they aren't used to it or don't like it.  I, on the other hand, love a good steak, and love my seafood.  Unfortunately I can't afford it.  (Lets just say that I hope my dad gets a couple deer this hunting season so I can get some red meat again).  Right now, eggs are my mainstay.  (Not farm fresh, not hand raised - but the cheap ones from the grocery store).  I buy chicken, brats and pork shoulder because I can find them on sale for less than a dollar a pound.  Lots of canned beans (cheapest canned veggie).  Lots of sweet potato, onions and mushrooms.   Its where I am right now.....  

I do worry a bit about the mercury levels being found in fish these days.  We are poisoning our planet, and it, in return, is poisoning us.  Higher heavy metal levels, higher pesticides, fertilizer, etc - all that stuff has to cause some kind of problems.  We are suddenly having (as a society) low d3, low ca, low vit k.....  we are recommended to take more and more supplements.....  yet no one seems to want to know what the cause is.  Could it be that our diets play a HUGE part?  Goodness, we can't say that because it would mean that the food processors would go out of business  :wacko:

OK - off my soap box now......  

Going for a hike tomorrow, if I can get the energy up to do so  :P

Kmlynne,  I'm putting you on my fish list.  (prayers).   I'm going to pray when you put your net down beside your boat that the net won't hold all of the fish.  mmmm hmmm.   Groceries a plenty.yaysmilesa-smiley.gif?1292867704 Whopping boatloads of deluxe groceries because we lurve you.  yaya-sisters-smiley.gif?1292867704

If the Bear was anywhere close to your house,  your fridge would be filled with fish.  He'd see to it.  

Bluegill is always the topic of conversation when you come into my house.   My folkaronies now slap their hand over that Bluegill on the wall and say "Oooooo, don't tell me,  it's a Bluegill".    Paw thinks it's hilarious.  If you knew the BIL with the dry sense of humor, you would never forget the way he said it. 

Your mentioning the Bluegill was another copasinki coinkydink.   We've had several and they were all today.   What will tomorrow bring?  

I can't wait.  ballerina-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292

So the questions are:  How do you get your body to stay at a stable weight?  How do you keep it from wanting to turn on the "fat gene"?

If the old "eat less and move more" truly worked -- if it were actually that simple -- we wouldn't be in the state of obesity we are in.  

The fact is, people are hungry.  They are irritable.  They are sad.  SAD.  They are eating crap and they are craving more crap, and oftentimes -- they don't even realize it.  And even if you are aware of the science and feel like you are pretty knowledgeable about things:  It can creep up on you.  

The creep.  It's a real thing.

This is the result of a high-carb, low-fat diet.  Period.  People aren't satiated.  They are reaching for more, more, more, and they don't even know why.  They think there is something wrong with them.  They think they are alone.  Unique.

Well... not so much.  I am starting to think that disordered eating is the norm these days.

I really like something MeadowLily said to me today:

Weight stability is a reflection of what's going on in the mind.  It's like a house without chaos.

I think, once you can wrap your mind around the science, and truly see what is going on inside your body, it is a lot easier to make decisions about what is proper fuel.  The emotional part of eating can and does go away.  This is why the rigidity of the rules of a Whole 30 is so comforting to many.  It narrows your options down, so there is much less chaos in your brain without all of those voices.  You silence them.  You have to.

All of this is so true. Have either you or MeadowLily read Primal Body, Primal Mind? I think I saw some of these things mentioned there...

All of this is so true. Have either you or MeadowLily read Primal Body, Primal Mind? I think I saw some of these things mentioned there...

I'm not sure but I want to ask you- is it okay for us to eat farm-raised fish? -I thought we should only go for wild-caught?

I actually have not read that one, but I LOVE Nora Gedgaudas.  I have heard her talk on several podcasts.  I promise I did not copy any of her work here.  That all came from my own brain.   :lol:

It is my understanding that we can eat any plain meat.  The old food list you could print out had it listed in order from greatest to least in terms of quality -- where obviously truly wild-caught* fish would be at the top, and the farm-raised stuff at the very bottom.  But meat is meat, protein is protein, and they want you eating it -- so, as far as I know, it's allowed.  Unfortunately, my searches are bringing up a different-looking food list that I do not like as well as the old one.

(I am not doing a Whole 30, but still hope jcmbn will clarify for you if the rules have changed or I misunderstood.)

*Some places will farm-raise fish, feed them grains their whole life -- then let them out into a little area of the "big water", then catch them, then call them wild-caught.  Sneaky.  Verrrry sneaky.

We should only eat wild caught and don't eat farm raised fish if you don't have to.  You are correct.

But for the purposes of a Whole 30 -- is it against the rules?

Farm-raised fish is a lot better in my mind than Taco Bell...................  just sayin'..............   ;)

As far as fish - I think that some people don't eat meat and fish because they aren't used to it or don't like it.  I, on the other hand, love a good steak, and love my seafood.  Unfortunately I can't afford it.  (Lets just say that I hope my dad gets a couple deer this hunting season so I can get some red meat again).  Right now, eggs are my mainstay.  (Not farm fresh, not hand raised - but the cheap ones from the grocery store).  I buy chicken, brats and pork shoulder because I can find them on sale for less than a dollar a pound.  Lots of canned beans (cheapest canned veggie).  Lots of sweet potato, onions and mushrooms.   Its where I am right now.....  

Budget is a concern here, as well.  

The fact is -- if the RULE was that the fish had to be "wild-caught" -- many would simply not eat fish.  {shrug}

I've been back and forth on this one in my mind.  Is it better to eat NO fish at all... or to buy farm-raised and have it sometimes?  It's still a great source of easy protein, for us.  I just wolfed down two filets with coconut oil & garlic salt.  Yum.  :)

I'd like to buy some wild-caught salmon again soon... but the reality is that, for our family of five, that will NOT be on the menu regularly.  It just won't.

And I just want to share that I got 26 floors on my fitbit tonight -- climbing up and down the stairs at the art center where my son was taking a new class.  Karen, I know, this is probably child's play for you -- but I never get floors.  Like, hardly any.  I earned my 10 badge and my 25 badge all in the same night!   :lol:   I want to keep this up every week.  The workers there laughed with me as I got to the top and was a ~tad~ out of breath.  I just kept going back and forth and back and forth.  Maybe they think I'm nuts, or maybe I saw a little admiration.  One girl, much younger than me and who does not have 3 kids, I'm sure of it, said, "You are so dedicated!"

Yep.  I am.  I really am.   :)

Archived