Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

I actually have not read that one, but I LOVE Nora Gedgaudas.  I have heard her talk on several podcasts.  I promise I did not copy any of her work here.  That all came from my own brain.   :lol:

Sweet!!!

*Some places will farm-raise fish, feed them grains their whole life -- then let them out into a little area of the "big water", then catch them, then call them wild-caught.  Sneaky.  Verrrry sneaky.

YIKES- Me no likey! :(

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Whole30 purposes so long as you're eating protein it's fine - the wild caught fish, and the organic grassfed beef are preferable, but not a deal breaker - some people just can't afford the best of quality all the time so they have to do the best with what they've got.

Have a read at this Conscientious Omnivore article for more info on the great fish debate

True- we often don't have money in our already expanded food budget for fish, but when we do, sometimes there's deals on cod and salmon. I keep watching my sales flyers. Thanks for the reminder that "less bad" meats are also still good for Paleo/Whole30. 

When your budget allows, buy some better quality canned tuna fish and salmon.  Eat 2 Brazil Nuts with it. That's what Tom Denham does.  You can google it on the Roundup and Ride Whole 30.   I won't repost his posts or rewrite the book here. :D  Now, everyone in my family eats 2 Brazil nuts {because of Tom} when they eat their can of tuna or salmon.

Thanks MeadowLily- I'll have to Google that because I'd like to know why to add brazil nuts to tuna/salmon :)

Also, cheeck your tuna cans if you're on Whole30- most of it contains soy lecithin and/or mysterious broth/substance. I get mine from Trader Joe's, because I just want fish and water, thank you (they also have tuna in olive oil, and all their tuna varieties come either with salt or without- I choose without because high BP). 

That all being said, I know that you know nutrition :)

Yep, I do.  And there's still more to learn.  Always.

Feingold is the first step for us in what is going to be a very long journey with this child.  

It removes things that we shouldn't be consuming in the first place.  Artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, artificial sweeteners.  Can anyone really argue that these things SHOULD be in our diets?

...Anyone?  ...Hello?   {MeadowLily, wish you could edit my post to put your Bueller pic here.}    :lol:

Then -- for Stage One only -- it removes some of the foods with the highest salicylate level.  There are 23 items on that list.  Only one of them is a nut (almonds).  Coffee and tea take up two spots.  The rest are fruits, vegetables, and a few oils (birch oil?  wintergreen, etc).  Some of them are things that I have never even consumed, let alone my son.  So we're not missing those.

Stage One also removes aspirin and any aspirin-containing products (this includes ibuprofen).

In Stage Two -- after we have been 100% clean for 6-8 weeks with Stage One, and seen improvement -- then we can start re-introducing the 23 items on the "natural salicylate" Stage One list.  And see what happens.

Note the similarity to Whole 30 here.  We are removing things for a time, then adding them back in to look for a reaction.

------

Now, as for your research.  You had to already know that I had done my own.  I've seen the Wikipedia page.  I've seen all of the "there is no scientific proof" and yada yada yada.

I've also personally spoken with moms who have seen transformations in their children.  Women who have been doing this for years and years.  Women who have discovered along the way that they, themselves are sensitive to many things they never would have known otherwise.

One woman I've spoken with -- her daughter is 18 years old and they've been on the program for many years.  She said they were able to add back in ALL of the Stage Two items, except strawberries.  She said, "Strawberries send my daughter into a rage."

Now, we're not talking about toddlers throwing fits here.  This daughter is 18 years old.  I think she and mom should both be able to recognize a reaction pretty well by now.  

Sound crazy?  Well, it doesn't sound crazy to me.  Strawberries are one of the top fruit allergens, last I checked, and I personally know at least 2 people who are allergic.  If we can have an obvious, physical reaction -- then guess what -- we can also have an emotional and mental reaction.

These are the type of things I hope to be able to discover.

We may be able to put all of the Stage Two items back in, and not notice a thing.  OR -- I may be able to say "WOW.  Those bell peppers I always suspected -- I was right on!"  ...But we won't know if we don't try.

Of course there are skeptics.  There are skeptics with everything.  When it comes down to it, at the end of the day, we all have to make our own choices for ourselves and our families.  There is a lot of trial and error, and many people die every day who never figure out some very simple, basic changes they could have made to have a better quality of life.  I don't want that to be me, and I don't want that to be my kids.  And we most certainly are not heading down the path of prescription drugs for every little thing.  I saw THAT fork in the road a long time ago, and made a clear, conscious choice which way to go.  And it hasn't been a wrong move yet.   :)

Your post today reminded me of another one I read recently.  There was a mom on a homeschool forum who posted about her "strong-willed" child.  Struggles, day-long struggles.  Yelling, name calling, screaming "I hate you!" at her.  

I wrote out a long, heart-felt, personal account of what had been going on at our house -- and the changes we'd seen since we started Feingold.

Her response:

"Thanks for sharing your experience with this program. I have to admit...I'm highly skeptical. I have a bunch of friends on facebook who are into Juice Plus. The claims are big, the enthusiasm and the anecdotal stories are there, but I'm just naturally a skeptic. wink3.gif I'm an RN. I like cold hard facts. Data!! lol So I read some dubious thing on Google about Feingold and the jury is still way out for me. I'll keep it in mind though, sometimes things slowly begin to make sense for me to try (when a certain level of desperation kicks in) or occasionally something that everyone is raving about does turn out to be the real deal and then the facts/data that I love starts rolling in."

And I thought, "Hmmm, okay.  Good luck with that."

If someone won't even consider that the artificial dyes and flavorings in their kids gummy vitamins every morning could ~possibly~ be ruining their days, what am I even supposed to do with that?

I walked away.   ;)

The grain brain gets punctured with tares from the wheat whenever you fall back into bowls of pasta, pizza, bread bowls,   bread bread and Paleo crackers.   Don't be deceived by the word Paleo that no one owns.   That word is owned by no one and it means everything under the sun.   Paleo snacks are the faux foes.  When the glutens are removed they're often replaced with flours that have a high sugary content.  Tapioca, rice.   

So if you're looking for a release of weight,  don't be fooled by the faux foes.  They come in all forms, slippery lil suckers.  They'll try to latch back onto you and ruin your good results.   It's another battle now.  

Sticking the landing is only one battle.   WINNING THE WAR will take a lifetime.  There is no such thing as the FINISH LINE when it comes to your health.

You have to tear yourself down to build yourself back UP again.  Piece by piece.  Don't leave a trace of faux foes in there.  Kick them out and tell them where to go. 

So it's true then...my experience with grains and sugar making ME fat is true. My husband can eat grains and sugar and not gain weight, but he'll break out, have more aches and pains, and be more lethargic. 

"Our food does not have to be exciting.  It is not meant to be entertainment, and it does not always have to be something different.  Some days we will eat the same things over and over.  Food is supposed to be fuel for our bodies.  When I come home late from football and I am just trying to get everyone fed -- I really don't want to hear about what we don't have in the house.  Let's talk about the options that we DO have."

So much yes! My husband is studying anthropology, and one time we watched this documentary about these men who live way up in northern Alaska and they build their own homes and hunt their own food. They have to go out when it's time to get a moose, and it'll have to last them awhile. They have come up with many ways to cook that animal, I ascertained, and use all of the parts, because they have no other choice. They could possibly barter with a neighbor (not many up there!), for something else, and I think they do that to get vegetables but they also make alot of gelatinous foods from the animals. Are they bored? They didn't appear to be. 

I did not know that- I'll have to get some acetominophen today. 

Just so you know -- I was talking about my son's Feingold program in that post -- which is different than Whole 30.

Anybody remember the rules about painkillers from the book?   Are there any?

Another step was to treat those constant thoughts..."Ooooo, it's sooo hard to resist the urges or cravings" as complete neurological junk.   Just let those thoughts come and go without getting caught up in them. 

It was the same for me when I quit smoking. Now I've been quit for 10 months, and yeah, I have an occasional craving, but I don't give in, because I know where that puff will take me. 

Thanks MeadowLily- I'll have to Google that because I'd like to know why to add brazil nuts to tuna/salmon :)

Also, cheeck your tuna cans if you're on Whole30- most of it contains soy lecithin and/or mysterious broth/substance. I get mine from Trader Joe's, because I just want fish and water, thank you (they also have tuna in olive oil, and all their tuna varieties come either with salt or without- I choose without because high BP). 

I believe it is the selenium in the brazil nuts to help balance out the potential mercury in the fish.

Polar tuna is another good one, if you can find it.  No funky ingredients.  And for me, it was cheaper than Trader Joe's.

I think if you could get past that initial hump of carb-flu (this process lasts weeks for some people) -- and the idea that humans need to have fruit every day to be healthy -- well...  I think you could see some different progress.  Your body doesn't have any reason to tap into those fat stores as long as it is getting a steady stream of glucose.  I am not picking on you, you know that -- I'm just able to look at your situation through a different lens.

--------

I would agree with this- my naturopath suggested that I have no fruit, if possible, because fruit sugar is still sugar which turns into fat on my body, whereas healthy fats, protein, and veggies do not. 

Tom Denham:  Your wisdom is needed here and I'm sharing your post.  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5048 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

There is enough diversity in the fish world and enough ways to prepare fish to do 30-days in a row with fish as your protein source. You can get different experiences roasting fish, stewing them in marinara sauce, stewing them in coconut milk. You can do tuna salad, salmon salad, herring salad, smoked kippers, sardines, crab salad, octopus salad. The key is not to try to live on a handful of recipes, but to live on at least 30 different recipes. And really, you can probably find 90 different recipes based upon fish if you put your mind to it. 

By the way, if you consume foods rich in selenium, you have nothing to worry about regarding mercury in fish. Many fish are high in selenium. Personally, I eat 2 brazil nuts per day as a selenium supplement just in case I ate fish low in selenium.

I recommend Tom Denham's posts in your spare time.   Go back through and read his most excellent tips.  I apply them everyday in every way on my way.  They work and he knows what he's talking about.

I used to repost them every single day but I no longer need to rewrite the book.  All you have to do is Google Whole 30 for any question and it's been answered.  I can find anything I need at any time I want.   It's not going anywhere.

In the beginning, I was rereading every rule and tip.  I know most of them by heart because they mean something to me.

I have only seen one piece of advice Tom hands out that I disagree with.  That would be recommending Immodium to people here who are experiencing diarrhea, rather than figuring out what is causing it.  

There is a cause.  There is always a cause.  Stopping it up with a drug is not the best idea, in my experience.  I've seen him say that this is what he has done for himself.  Okay, but that does not mean that it is the best choice, or that it is great Whole 30 advice.

Other than that -- I pretty much agree, Tom knows his stuff.  :)

Brewer, when it comes to my family...I can lead a horse to water but I can't make him drink.  

I thought if  I could share everything here that was wonderful to me.... that it would help someone else.   I've come to realize that everyone should really dig down deep for their own golden nuggets of truth.   One size does not fit all.

When you have to find your way,   you never forget the way home.   Being here is helping me keep my laser focus on the job I need to complete.  

No need for me to rewrite the book or repost posts.  Yes,  I want everyone to be excited about change but you've got to want this with everything in your own being.

No BS up in here.   No stalking, gawking, crocking or mocking.   This is the real deal.

I recommend Tom Denham's posts in your spare time. Go back through and read his most excellent tips. I apply them everyday in every way on my way. They work and he knows what he's talking about.

I used to repost them every single day but I no longer need to rewrite the book. All you have to do is Google Whole 30 for any question and it's been answered. I can find anything I need at any time I want. It's not going anywhere.

In the beginning, I was rereading every rule and tip. I know most of them by heart because they mean something to me.

Thx. I don't have alot of down time on most days because I own and work in my small businesses and I also cook all of the food for me and my husband. Also we're both on the BOD of an NPO. But, at work, sometimes between client appointments, I have holes in some days. Like swiss cheese!

I think if you could get past that initial hump of carb-flu (this process lasts weeks for some people) -- and the idea that humans need to have fruit every day to be healthy -- well...  I think you could see some different progress.  Your body doesn't have any reason to tap into those fat stores as long as it is getting a steady stream of glucose.  I am not picking on you, you know that -- I'm just able to look at your situation through a different lens.

As usual, you always give me lots to think about - and today, it is about all the fruit that has been appearing in my diet.  Not that I NEED it, it just happened.  Maybe that is what is going on.....  Sugar dragon is gone.  I don't "Crave" sweets or carbs.  Just have been gravitating toward the fruits - maybe because it is summer and they are in season.  I have noticed over the last few days that I have been gravitating toward more roasted veggies.  Just have "a taste" for them now.......  Carb flu - I guess I am still struggling with it a bit - not because of cravings - but because I am still eating higher carbs (fruit).  I just can't seem to get away from it :)

I do know that when I am on the long hikes, I do best when I fuel with protein and fats during the hike.  I start with a good breakfast (usually protein, sweet potato, onion, mushrooms).  During the hike, I like protein and nuts.  If I really start feeling shaky, I go to the dried fruit.  My dad is a huge believer in the protein bars - usually ones that have lots of grains too.  Fortunately, I can so no to them since they almost all contain soy of some kind (allergy).  I am always trying to figure out what I can take that doesn't have to be kept cold, easy to eat on the move, and fuels me.

Archived