BACON!!

EliMak79

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using celery salt this time, I hope it turns out okay. How did you like the celery salt, Slw? I didn't want to add salt on top of salt though, so I only used the celery salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder.

I liked the slight celery salt flavor. I am still looking for the perfect spice mixture. I really want to try the home made celery salt mixture that you posted. I also use chipotle chili powder...I like spicy. Time for a new pork belly. :)

I made this using the link posted earlier, and finally had it today! I followed the recipe exactly, but will likely cut back on the salt next time, and may try the celery salt since Robin swears by it. ;)

It was really good. I would tell others it is delicious on its own merits, but to compare it to bacon is, well, just not right. We are talking bacon here people. There just is no substitute.

However, maybe it was JUST like bacon, and I have lost my taste for bacon 32 days in?

Yeah, I didn't think so either. :D

I made this using the link posted earlier, and finally had it today! I followed the recipe exactly, but will likely cut back on the salt next time, and may try the celery salt since Robin swears by it. ;)

It was really good. I would tell others it is delicious on its own merits, but to compare it to bacon is, well, just not right. We are talking bacon here people. There just is no substitute.

However, maybe it was JUST like bacon, and I have lost my taste for bacon 32 days in?

Or...maybe it's the way bacon USED to be. I get my pork belly at a place called New Seasons. It's a locally owned WF sort of place. They actually order it because they make their own bacon from it. I was tempted to try it, but at the time, I was on W30 and I know for a fact they use brown sugar. I think I may try a couple of slices just to see what theirs is like. All I know is my Pork Belly was 3.99 lb and their bacon is 8.99 lb.

• 2 weeks later...

So my bacon was ready for breakfast this morning! I made 2lbs and I'm going to slow smoke it in the oven later today but I couldn't resist slicing some off for breakfast. The celery salt was nice but not salty, so next time I will add in sea salt.. the bacon was still very tasty though. I am close to a spice mix I can love, just needs a few tweaks. ;)

525489_10151156747852857_201402185_n.jpg

407618_10151156739672857_1375347000_n-1.jpg

Bacon, eggs, sauteed mushrooms and fresh tomato slices. :)

621297_10151156748742857_722539520_o.jpg

My opinion is this, it's not going to taste bacon-y because it isn't smoked, but that's just my theory. And it's why I am smoking my bacon this time around to see if it will taste more like conventional bacon. Either way I will continue to make my own bacon, after all we don't know what bacon originally tasted like back in the day.

I'm sorry, but did I read right? That in America they put SUGAR in the bacon?!!! Bizarre! (Not a comment on all Americans you understand!)

Yes! It's very hard to find prepared bacon minus the sugar in the curing of it. That's why we've all taken to buying raw pork belly and making our own. :)

I'm getting some pork belly this week and want to smoke it. I'm going to do it outside on the grill. My question is:

Should I season it before I smoke it? Or should I put the celery said and pepper on it and then smoke it. Since it will be a large 3 lb piece will the seasonings get all the way through. That's why I think I should smoke it first, then put it in the over at 200 degrees for a couple of hours and then slice it and season it. Any suggestions as to the process.

Nancy, I think smoking then putting it into the oven might be over cooking it a bit, but someone else please feel free to weigh in. :) Either way, I would preseason before smoking/cooking. I like to brine mine for seven days.

The smoking process didn't turn out as I had hoped in the oven. I used a deep roasting pan that also had a deep lid, placed wood chips in a metal bowl and a rack on top of that with the pork belly.. I tin foiled the bowl and punched holes but I think next time I will just leave off the foil since my roaster has a tight fitting lid. Right now, I have some chicken legs in there with foil to see how it will work out. Next stop will be an electric smoker for the balcony.

The bacon is still tasty. Now if I can conquer a perfect smoke technique and a more sausage-y tasting homemade sausage, I will be good!

Sharon, I'm still playing with the sausage recipe I posted in Recipe Sharing. I've also found it tastes better if I fold the seasonings into the ground pork and put it back in the fridge overnight instead of cooking or freezing immediately.

Wow sharon. I am so impressed. a friend of mine has an Emerile Lagasse stovetop smoker that he loves. I have been looking for one because my deck is already crammed with my Weber.

Yeah, I am not 100% sure I will buy one for the balcony because I have a lot of plants. It looks like a jungle out there, lol! I might check into a stove top one or one for the oven.. but will see what happens with the chicken.

Sharon, I'm still playing with the sausage recipe I posted in Recipe Sharing. I've also found it tastes better if I fold the seasonings into the ground pork and put it back in the fridge overnight instead of cooking or freezing immediately.

I made my sausage on Sunday and today the flavor still wasn't where I want it to be, but will keep on trying! The funny thing is I normally don't eat much pork. I tend to lean more towards beef, fish and chicken. Pork always made me feel kinda "icky" after consuming it, maybe it was because of the quality? I've only bought quality pieces of pork (from WF and Jimmy P's(berkshire pork)--love them btw.. but expensive!) since starting Whole30 and no tummy problems.

Yeah, I am not 100% sure I will buy one for the balcony because I have a lot of plants. It looks like a jungle out there, lol! I might check into a stove top one or one for the oven.. but will see what happens with the chicken.

I made my sausage on Sunday and today the flavor still wasn't where I want it to be, but will keep on trying! The funny thing is I normally don't eat much pork. I tend to lean more towards beef, fish and chicken. Pork always made me feel kinda "icky" after consuming it, maybe it was because of the quality? I've only bought quality pieces of pork (from WF and Jimmy P's(berkshire pork)--love them btw.. but expensive!) since starting Whole30 and no tummy problems.

Emerile stopped making his but I am checking ebay. I think you can use them all in the oven or on the stovetop but I am not sure. I lost track of the spices you settled on. I think my favorites are salt pepper smoked paprika and chipotle chili pepper. Funny because it's also exactly what I use for my beef jerky. :)

I use celery salt, sea salt, smoked paprika and pepper. Next time I am going to add some apple juice and maybe some chipotle now that you mention it. :) I haven't made jerky in years, think I might try it in the oven since I don't have a dehydrator.

Check out the link. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Camerons-Products-Lil-Smokey-Smoker/dp/B0000DH88G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352210739&sr=8-2&keywords=oven+smoker

I use celery salt, sea salt, smoked paprika and pepper. Next time I am going to add some apple juice and maybe some chipotle now that you mention it. I haven't made jerky in years, think I might try it in the oven since I don't have a dehydrator.

Check out the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Camerons-Products-Lil-Smokey-Smoker/dp/B0000DH88G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352210739&sr=8-2&keywords=oven+smoker

I am going to get one. What a great price! Great reviews too.

I owe all American-type people an apology....apparently British bacon also contains sugar!!! Who'd have thought!

Loving the recipies though. Going to try some when my head stops pounding and I can think straight.....

That's okay, we forgive you. :) You should have seen how many of us thought that Applegate Naturals Sunday bacon had no sugar because the stats said 0%. However, if you look at the ingredients list, it's there. We walked the hall of shame. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused. Some people are saying they bought compliant bacon from U. S. Wellness Meats. I went to their website tonight to buy some bacon and could not check out. They state that one must order

7 lbs AND $75.00 worth of their product before you can check out.

Is this what everyone is doing? I cannot afford to buy $75 worth.

Costco has sugar free bacon (it's the low sodium stuff). I tried it and didn't like it much though. Plus I'm a bit leery about the pork sourcing. Factory farmed? And my sister (she lives on Vegas) has found compliant bacon at Whole Foods (a jalapeño variety in the meat case), but my WF (Portland) doesn't have it. I gave up bacon for my 30, and enjoy high quality bacon with sugar (or honey) post -30.

Archived