Cat food?

Cindi

I'm not sure where to post this but hoping someone might have some insight.

We have a cat who is most likely diabetic. Obviously a meat based diet is ideal for a cat anyway since they are strictly carnivores and don't need veggies or other forms of carbs.

What can I feed my cat? Do you have ideas on store bought food? I know canned would be the better choice...but what brand is good? Or should I just make enough food and feed her MY food? Or pull out enough before I add all my spiciness to my food. ;)

I really don't want to go read ALL the labels at the store and besides lots of them are very vague in their ingredients.

Thanks

• Moderators

Our cats eat one of the Hill's brand of Prescription Diet, but any of the cat foods from Eukanuba, Iams, or Science Diet will support your cat living a long and full life. I know because my wife is a board certified veterinarian and many of her cat patients live more than 20 years.

We feed our cats the same dry food with no variation. The food companies tell you all kinds of things, but it is best to keep pets on one food and not mix it up.

Cooking for your cat is probably not a good idea. Good cat food comes with a complete balance of everything cats need, but what you cook may be missing important aspects of nutrition. And don't fool yourself by thinking the chicken, beef, or fish you provide must be best. In nature, cats never live 20 years and most die after just a few years, but living safely in our houses with modern cat foods is a much more positive story.

Blue Buffalo has some really good grain free options. My family just switched our cats over to this. Evopet is another one (http://www.evopet.com/)

and this one: http://www.primalpetfoods.com/ is actually Whole30 approved! :)

Actually, if you google BARF diet for cats, you can also hunt down some raw food guidelines for kitties, but it's a lot harder to transition felines to raw food than it is to transition dogs. Cats are hunters, dogs are scavengers, so cats aren't a big fan of cold meat

We moved our dog and both cats to Evo. It's grain free and they love it! We get ours at doggiefood.com. It's cheap shipping ($4.95 for as much as you buy, and sometimes free) and it's WAY cheaper there than in retail stores. The people there are really helpful, if you want to give them a shout.

Raw is best. There are several commercial raw products that are excellent, and easy, too.

My dog has eaten Primal raw frozen food since we adopted her. It's a very good product. She is in excellent health.

It's easy to feed. It comes frozen in a bag. You defrost the nuggets and feed. (and you can warm it easily. Put the nugget in a plastic bag and immerse in warm water for a few minutes.) There are no grains in it. It would be excellent for a diabetic cat.

Do you read Dr. Becker's site, Mercola Healthy Pets? There is a lot of info there.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/

Forgot to mention:

If you don't want to feed raw, Weruva makes good canned food. For kibble, Orijen and Acana grain-free are very high quality.

Our pets need to eat Paleo just like we do. I used to pet sit, and I can tell you that the dogs with the chronic health problems were all fed foods that contained grains and nasty fillers. The ones that were fed raw or home cooked had the least health problems.

Also I had a dog with liver problems, so I had to do a LOT of research.

Hope this helps! :)

I found primal food. But I wasn't going straight home so I bought...Hound&Gatos canned and Stella & Chewy's (this is dry that I rehydrate for her since she doesn't have teeth on one side, poor baby. Both of which are 98% meat or organs.

I'm going buy some of the primal next time. And I'll look at the Weruva...I think I saw that as well.

I haven't been doing this for my dog but I know it would be good for her as well. Thanks for all the info.

Archived