Starting mon 21 September. Anybody in?

britgirl

Nope not really prone to either so it's all rather befuddling. And embarrassing! Weeping to One D!!!!

Thanks for that I was wondering if we're eating too much starchy veg - prob have potato or sweet pot once a day. That ok?

And re snacks - don't almonds hit the fat with a bit of protein mark?? I'm away on a course this weekend with little catering facility so wondering how to survive it. Need non fridge food so have tinned olives, and am boiling eggs and will take tinned fish. And nuts! And carrots/peppers.

Bit scared of sugar in bananas and fruit in general........

Any other ideas?

GREAT to have your expertise around!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One serving of starchy veg a day is fine - maybe keep it back to meal 2 or 3 if you're not already doing so, and if the crying doesn't pass increase it a little for a few days.. If it helps One D would bring me to tears too, although maybe not in the same way  ;)  :P 

Nuts are a fat source on Whole30.... for your course I'd pack plenty of tinned salmon, mackerel, & tuna, jars of olives (or the pouches are handy/lightweight), jars of things like artichokes (or other antipasta - just check for non compliant ingredients), jars of sauerkraut/pickles, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, celery, avocados, boiled eggs... compliant jerky if you can find it... I think you're on the right track - just don't go nuts with the nuts...

If you want to avoid the sugars in fruit maybe stick to blueberries which are also fairly hardy.

Ugh, friends. Just ugh. I'm still technically compliant but yesterday TOTALLY overdid the carbs (via fruit and baked sweet potatoes). Just stress and sadness and grief and work and . . . . well, emotional overeating at its not-so-finest. 

But we're hanging in there, right? This too shall pass. 

Besides work in general being crazy right now, I'm on a 2 day trip this weekend (@lainey, my husband is a potter and we'll be at the Bluff Park Arts show this Saturday, which is really fun if you're looking to get out of the house! :)). So I'm making preparations to pack all my food for 2 full days in a cooler. Ack! I know I can do this and I have a plan, and at no point is going off W30 a possibility, but I'm stressed about getting everything done and having enough good food. Especially veggies - I depend on those to keep me satisfied, but there are only so many things I like to eat raw/cold. 

rockinrain - Yes, keep at it! Way to start over immediately. You can do this!

allyson - IG is so great for W30 ideas and motivation! I added you - I'm jennilhoo over there. 

britgirl - So many emotions. I agree that starchy carbs can help, especially (I've found) depending on where I am in my cycle. 

jmcbn - Thanks for all your helpful comments and advice! I really appreciate the patient, thoughtful job you mods do. Thanks!

It seems you can't really get away from meat or eggs??

I eat fish at least once a day, and I LOVE me a coconut curried seafood chowder, or steamed salmon with oven roasted veg & a dollop of whipped up coconut milk on top...

Tins of fish are cheap & cheerful, but the vacuum packs of peppered mackerel (mackerel rolled in crushed black peppercorns) you an get in Tesco/Sainsburys etc are a good base for a salad or for breakfast.

Ugh, friends. Just ugh. I'm still technically compliant but yesterday TOTALLY overdid the carbs (via fruit and baked sweet potatoes). Just stress and sadness and grief and work and . . . . well, emotional overeating at its not-so-finest. 

But we're hanging in there, right? This too shall pass. 

Besides work in general being crazy right now, I'm on a 2 day trip this weekend (@lainey, my husband is a potter and we'll be at the Bluff Park Arts show this Saturday, which is really fun if you're looking to get out of the house! :)). So I'm making preparations to pack all my food for 2 full days in a cooler. Ack! I know I can do this and I have a plan, and at no point is going off W30 a possibility, but I'm stressed about getting everything done and having enough good food. Especially veggies - I depend on those to keep me satisfied, but there are only so many things I like to eat raw/cold. 

Jen ~ The Art show sounds awesome and actually not too far away from me! If I was in town this weekend, I would check it out!! My boyfriend and I are actually going up to Tennessee this weekend for a kayaking trip {Ocoee}. So I will be packing a cooler too! I'm a little nervous about taking my first "trip" during this Whole30, but as long as I am prepared it will be fine! Definitely post how this weekend goes, both in Bham and the Whole30 aspect of being away from home.

Some of the things I am planning on bringing: tins of tuna, RxBars {Just for my drybag when kayaking}, apples, compliant jerky from US Wellness, homemade ranch and veggies. I might make some egg frittatas and these spicy tuna cakes. La Croix for when everyone else is drinking beer after the river:) We might go out to eat Saturday night, so I might bring some precooked shredded chicken to add to a salad... not sure if that is overkill though!

We got this! I hope you have a great weekend!!

On a Whole30 note, I have been drinking coffee blended with a tbsp of coconut oil + a tsp of ghee PLUS a breakfast. It keeps me full for so long but I think it might be too much. Drinking just regular black coffee today with my normal breakfast {3 eggs, sweet potato, spinach}

One serving of starchy veg a day is fine - maybe keep it back to meal 2 or 3 if you're not already doing so, and if the crying doesn't pass increase it a little for a few days.. If it helps One D would bring me to tears too, although maybe not in the same ..y.

Made me guffaw!

Result!

Jen ~ The Art show sounds awesome and actually not too far away from me! If I was in town this weekend, I would check it out!! My boyfriend and I are actually going up to Tennessee this weekend for a kayaking trip {Ocoee}. So I will be packing a cooler too! I'm a little nervous about taking my first "trip" during this Whole30, but as long as I am prepared it will be fine! Definitely post how this weekend goes, both in Bham and the Whole30 aspect of being away from home.

Some of the things I am planning on bringing: tins of tuna, RxBars {Just for my drybag when kayaking}, apples, compliant jerky from US Wellness, homemade ranch and veggies. I might make some egg frittatas and these spicy tuna cakes. La Croix for when everyone else is drinking beer after the river:) We might go out to eat Saturday night, so I might bring some precooked shredded chicken to add to a salad... not sure if that is overkill though!

We got this! I hope you have a great weekend!!

Looks like there's 3 of us on the road this weekend! Lainey and AtL_jen we can do this! I'm spending all day prepping to leave w30 stuff for my daughter left alone with the Non-Complients. She's been a total star so far and just came in and made herself tuna mixed with sunshine sauce on cucumber slices with an olive on top. She'll be fine.

After my course I'm staying with my mum (gorgeous amazing 85 yr old but love seriously=food. ) I didn't explain it v well so her first comment was - so creams ok then? When I said no it's just plain meat and veg and a bit of fruit the light went on "oh! Just like in the war!"

Failure''s not an option. Were so doing this! Even if I come back looking like a tin of tuna :)

britgirl - I hope you have a wonderful weekend and please report back on how it goes! I think you posted earlier that your daughter suffers from asthma? Has she seen any results regarding her breathing so far on the Whole30? I think it is helping my asthma so far, but 13 days isn't a long time in the scheme of things... I will evaluate towards the end of my Whole30 if I want to continue on to see more improvements with my asthma and allergies. But so far I am just taking one day at a time and enjoying the process of nourishing my body with good foods {sorry for the corniness}!

"oh! Just like in the war!"

The lecturer on my adult nutrition course always told us that we should tell clients that if their grandmother's didn't eat it at their age then they shouldn't be eating it now... Although I suppose that only applies up to a certain age... !!

These last few days have been challenging!

I achieved a huge NSV yesterday.  After three grueling days at work, our office had a pizza/wine/beer party. I abstained from all.  And it was very hard. The pizza smelled amazing and wine is one of my favorite things ever. 

Though I'm proud of myself for the will power, it is unfortunately attributable to the fact that I broke the rules and got on the scale a few days ago.  I was getting close to quitting and needed to see if i was nearing progress (that the work is paying off).  Because of this I am still here with you all!  

Aside from that, I definitely feel less bloated.  I dont have boundless energy but dont get the highs and lows.

I look forward to dinner being over because that means that I dont have to think about food for 12 hours.  I am definitely over having to think about food all of the time.  I will however say that because i am ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT FOOD that I have eliminiated all mindless eating/snacking--where I would have snagged a piece of cheese while packing kid lunch, now I just dont!

Hey everyone...just checking in :)

Reading through everyone's posts over the past couple of days, it sounds like I'm pretty much 'par for the course'.  I've noticed I'm not nearly as bloated as I was before starting this journey, and I've practiced much self restraint in both food temptations (which are growing less and less), and also the scale temptation.  I definitely FEEL better, and can notice the change in my view of food in general.  My appetite is definitely shrinking, and it's much easier for me to skip the snacking that I'd grown accustomed to for so many years.  Food = fuel...and while it can taste very good and be very satisfying, it's not being used as an incentive anymore.  Habits are hard to break, and also hard to learn.  I've learned that a lot of this is mental, and while we're only a third of the way through this, I feel like I've started shifting those unhealthy habits towards the other end of the spectrum!

I have been reading all the posts from yesterday and today, and got some great ideas for my trip raft/fishing tomorrow. I recently discovered how delicious apples and oranges are, I think because we have eliminated regular sugar that now tasting a simple apple is like wow, lol! So tomorrow I will be armed with apples, oranges and compliant jerky. I also tried the Spagetti squash, and I was surprised how it really does resemble spagetti! I cooked it with tomato pieces and garlic, and while not that tasty every meal I eat that is compliant and every day that I am on this diet: I feel great. I have never given myself a challenge like this and I know it is just day 11, but I am pretty proud that I have made it this far. I am glad everyone on here is hanging in there! 

Hello, I hadn't been online for a few days because of work but I'm glad to report that I'm still doing THIS! It's actually quite amazing considering all the excuses I've given to myself in the past to not follow-through on diets. I feel almost super-human!

Glad to read that others are making some keen observations about food and the role it plays in their lives....funny how it's taken some of us a long time to figure it out.

My victories thus far have been:

1. Explaining the diet to people and them looking at me with puppy eyes because they think I'm depriving myself. However, after the explanation a lot of folks want to know how to start Whole30 for themselves. It seems that eliminiating sugar is on a lot of peoples mind.

2. I went down a pants size...that was a good 'pat on the back moment.'

3. I am finally sleeping better after almost a year of little sleep - thank you.

Thanks for your comments and encouragements.

Allyson - great pictures and you finally motivated me to make the mayo...I need some chicken salad in my life.

I look forward to dinner being over because that means that I dont have to think about food for 12 hours.  I am definitely over having to think about food all of the time.  I will however say that because i am ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT FOOD that I have eliminiated all mindless eating/snacking--where I would have snagged a piece of cheese while packing kid lunch, now I just dont!

Nice job DCKate. Habits are hard for me to break, especially when i don't even realize it was a habit. Or mindless.

My NSV (took my a minute to even figure out what that meant) this week is baking. I was cleaning out the freezer and saw the brown bananas in there being saved for banana bread....so I figured no time like the present. So, using my grandmas recipe, I baked 4 loaves without so much as licking a finger. BAM.

Now this afternoon I needed to fulfill my daughters emergency need for brownies for her swim team so I baked 2 pans, with these insanely delicious looking caramel pieces and again...zerozipzilch licking, tasting or nibbling. I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF.

I heard a while back that 99% is HARD. 100% is EASY. I'm finding that true. I'm a black or white person. Zero seems much easier than maybe just a little.

Keep up the good work all. We are rounding the crest of the halfway hill.

Ciao.

Hey Everybody!

Yesterday (day 11) was without a doubt the hardest day for me yet. Woke up with a headache, didn't have a good day at school, they giving away free cupcakes after my test and I babysat for 6 hours. I was cranky, hangry and annoyed AKA right on track with the whole30 timeline. I went to bed early because I was so grumpy and woke up 10 hours later feeling MUCH better.

Being honest, I must say it is really discouraging to see people weighing themselves. Before I started whole30 I made a list of reasons why I decided to try this food experiment and losing weight was last on my list, purposefully. If I was just after it for the weight loss I knew I would miss so many other no-scale victories and after the 30 days my relationship with food wouldn't be improved. While I know everyone does whole30 for different reasons, I have not seen my body change NEARLY as much as my attitude toward food has already. I encourage everyone to take a step back and remember what was the driving force for you to start whole30 and really evaluate the progress you've made so far- not on the scale.

Allyson - great pictures and you finally motivated me to make the mayo...I need some chicken salad in my life.

I followed the recipe straight from the book using a blender and then made the Southern Living Taragon Chicken Salad (subbing ghee for butter when cooking the pecans). It was awesome and I had it for 6 meals :) 

Not sure if I read anything about taking vitamins. Feeling dizzy today, off balance. Maybe too much of one food group or another? Had maybe a little too much fresh fruit yesterday? 

Quite possibly indicative of not enough food in general, or possibly too little salt....

If you'd like to post a few days worth of food/liquid instake we can take a look and see if you need to make some tweaks...

Allyson_whole30. - well done persevering through a rubbish day. Hope today's been better.

I made a batch of your muffins yday, some in freezer for DD while I'm away and some I've brought for bfast tomorrow on my course at some unearthly hour. On a Saturday. I fried onion garlic and some sweet pot and put that in the bottom of each muffin cup (silicone ones worked brilliantly), mixed too much cocoanut milk with the eggs so mixed in 50g almond flour which I think is probably too close to fake baking but with the sausage in (I made perfect pork and added chopped apple) they are small but really sustaining. Sadly they smelled wonderful so had to fight non compliant husband off them after he'd tried one. Many thanks for the recipe.

And even tho they feel a bit " treaty" Ii was satisfied with one and had no desire to snack. Given I'm Mrs Graze All Day this is significant stuff.

Whoever made the 100% being easier than 99% comment is so right! But I wonder what will happen when 30 days are up? I struggle with perfectionism so the plan plays right into that but I don't want to just eat everything that's not nailed down once were done. Just putting that out there................

In the meantime finding it all much eAsier and less stressful as more familiar with it now. But seriously tired. Head on table tired. I'm a night owl but waiting to get my pjs on at about 8. Too tired to catch up with Bake Off!!

Have great weekend all

britgirl - I hope you have a wonderful weekend and please report back on how it goes! I think you posted earlier that your daughter suffers from asthma? Has she seen any results regarding her breathing so far on the Whole30? I think it is helping my asthma so far, but 13 days isn't a long time in the scheme of things... I will evaluate towards the end of my Whole30 if I want to continue on to see more improvements with my asthma and allergies. But so far I am just taking one day at a time and enjoying the process of nourishing my body with good foods {sorry for the corniness}!

Hi Lainey her asthma is very much seasonal but she has a stuffed up and runny nose most of the time. My impression is that it's been a bit better but not dramatic yet. She has a lot of damage to repair as she loves bad food ( eg in Italy recently in classy restaurant with fantastic selection of healthy food she chose a cheese pizza topped with chips.). But she's really sticking with this and loves meat (which we don't usually eat this much of) but is seriously tired. She actually almost fell asleep with her head on the table after supper on wed!!

Flygrrl it was your 100% comment. How wise you are!

Deeply impressed with your baking! I stand in awe! Are you actually superhuman??

I can bake but it's the cutting up that does me in......all the crumbs and squishy bits on the knife.......have avoided so far.

But had an epiphany today........had bought a cake for my mum (one I'd normally love) and she wasn't going to eat it in front of me but I assured her that I'd enjoy her enjoyment ( true) AND I'm really enjoying having no regrets about my food choices. So there is no feeling of deprevation, just the enjoyment of NOT eating something that doesn't support my health. Deep or what?

Archived