Starting mon 21 September. Anybody in?

britgirl

Good morning! It's Day 17 and I'm feeling pretty good. On Wednesdays I'm out of the house all day, so I have all my food packed for the day and am realizing that things are starting to feel very "automatic pilot" for me. That's a good thing, I think!

For one reason or another (time, energy, grief, lack of motivation) I stopped working out after my dad passed away at the beginning of September. I was trying to be semi-active in normal life, but since my job is primarily a desk job it's safe to say that I've mostly been a slug. Well, yesterday, I fired up my Fitness Blender workouts and got out my dumbbells and did an upper body workout that has left me sore today. It felt . . . well, not good, exactly, but at least like I was doing something. And THAT felt good. This afternoon I'm going to go to my running trail and maybe try to squeeze out a mile or two. But at least be outside and not avoiding physical activity - that's the main goal. 

For those looking for a good fall recipe, I made Stupid Easy Paleo's stuffed acorn squash last night: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/10/07/stuffed-acorn-squash/. I doubled the recipe, and added some cayenne for spice, and it was yummy! Will definitely enjoy the leftovers. It's a big meal. 

Cheers to us for making it this far! 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy downward slope to us! :) And yay for increasing energy kruddock! I can tell I'm not getting afternoon slump anymore, which is awesome.

I woke up early this morning with a nasty cold / sinus infection? Ughhhh. Trying to flush it out with a ton of water mixed with teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar, compliant tea, homemade chicken soup, and a nasal rinse. Unfortunately I cannot drink a lot of bone broth because the gelatin makes me extremely itchy. I remembered there was some suggestions posted earlier in the thread so went back to look over them.

Sorry to hear your feel under the weather. You can also try a few drops of oregano oil under the tongue, make sure it is a high % oil. That also does the trick!

Woohoo day 17! 

Yesterday was not a good day for me. Headache, exhausted. For the first time during whole30 I really felt overwhelmed by my cravings. Everywhere I turned was something I couldn't eat that looked delicious. Needless to say I did not let it get the worst of me, I went to bed early and woke up 9 hours later feeling MUCH better.

Everyday the number of days left is getting smaller and smaller and seems more and more manageable. I am getting excited for see the end results! Still worried about what my "after whole30" life is going to look like, being a college student it's going to be a real adjustment for me to change my eating habits long term (pizza, ice cream and coffee were my 3 main food groups). 

Sorry to hear your feel under the weather. You can also try a few drops of oregano oil under the tongue, make sure it is a high % oil. That also does the trick!

Thank you! I'm feeling better today but am interested in the oregano oil to keep on hand, just in case. You are the second person to recommend it! 

Jen -- Want to send you a big hug .... not too get to personal but I can relate to losing a parent at a young-ish age (I was 20). Feel free to message me if you need someone to talk to that can empathize. The best advice I can give is not to be too hard on yourself.  Thinking of you Xo.

Thank you! I'm feeling better today but am interested in the oregano oil to keep on hand, just in case. You are the second person to recommend it!

Just make sure you don't put it on your tongue, it is really strong! The brand I use is New Roots and its 93% pure wild oregano and as always, be sure to check ingredients!

Help! I'm feeling grotty and grumpy again the last couple of days. And still so tired! Brain fog still there.

Restarted my workouts (interval/strength training using bootcamp hub) yesterday - hadn't felt up to it until then and too tied up with roasting flipping chickens abd making yet more burgers but by last night was on the floor exhausted again. Woken this am stiff and achy, even my hands are stiff. I'd tried to eat more yday to compensate for the exs but can't face breakfast this am tho I know I have to. Bleurggggh!

Daughter has just found out it's my husbands bday 2 days before we finish so obviously we can't eat cake, so is talking about stopping then if we haven't seen any improvement.

So both struggling today.

Think will keep doing it, try and down something templatey and go back to bed for an hour until my appts start and see if life looks any better. We had a fresh cocoanut last night (rarely had before ) so wondering if it's that??

Sorry to be a grump. All suggestions/encouragement welcome!

Help! I'm feeling grotty and grumpy again the last couple of days. And still so tired! Brain fog still there.

Restarted my workouts (interval/strength training using bootcamp hub) yesterday - hadn't felt up to it until then and too tied up with roasting flipping chickens abd making yet more burgers but by last night was on the floor exhausted again. Woken this am stiff and achy, even my hands are stiff. I'd tried to eat more yday to compensate for the exs but can't face breakfast this am tho I know I have to. Bleurggggh!

Daughter has just found out it's my husbands bday 2 days before we finish so obviously we can't eat cake, so is talking about stopping then if we haven't seen any improvement.

So both struggling today.

Think will keep doing it, try and down something templatey and go back to bed for an hour until my appts start and see if life looks any better. We had a fresh cocoanut last night (rarely had before ) so wondering if it's that??

Sorry to be a grump. All suggestions/encouragement welcome!

Can you post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake indicating portion sizes so we can take a look and possibly suggest some tweaks?

oh @britgirl I am with you! Feeling miserable and tired all the time, and really starting to get fed up. the only thing that has kept me going is being stubborn enough to want to see it through for 30 days, and the face that i'm getting back into a good routine of cooking proper meals in the evening (which i'd got out of the habit of).

I guess we're undoing a long time of making less healthy food choices,  and we've managed so far so we owe it to ourselves to see it through.

apologies for possibly the worst encouragement ever!

oh @britgirl I am with you! Feeling miserable and tired all the time, and really starting to get fed up. the only thing that has kept me going is being stubborn enough to want to see it through for 30 days, and the face that i'm getting back into a good routine of cooking proper meals in the evening (which i'd got out of the habit of).

I guess we're undoing a long time of making less healthy food choices,  and we've managed so far so we owe it to ourselves to see it through.

Neither of you should be feeling miserable or tired - the offer to post up a few days worth of your food/liquid for us to take a quick look over applies to you too... Are you getting enough sleep?

Hi jmcbn, thanks for the offer! 

yesterday M1 = 2 x poached eggs, spinach and yellow peppers, nuts.

M2 = tuna with homemade mayo, green salad, tomatoes & cucumber. sweet potato. apple with a spoon of almond butter.

M3 =  homemade beef bolognese with lots of veg, new potatoes tossed in ghee and broccoli, with some garlic mayo for fat.

today M1 = homemade beef bolognese with a load of spinach mixed in, nuts and a grapefruit.

M2 = tuna, green salad, cucumber, pickled red cabbage and sweet potato. apple with a spoon of almond butter

M3 = chicken curry cooked in coconut milk with courgette, onions and peppers. cauliflower rice and cashew nuts. 

tried to keep my portions as per the template, and i've never felt hungry after a meal. drinking plenty of water and herbal tea through the day, and a couple of cups of black tea/coffee. getting at least 8 hours sleep a night.

would be great to get your feedback!

britgirl and jenni - Oh, I hope you post and get some suggestions to tweak! I don't think you should still be feeling that way. I'm sure many knowledgeable people will chime in, but the single biggest difference for me was when I added back in more starchy veggies - at least a fistful at each meal. Sweet potato and plantain are my go-tos. I can't explain how much adding those in helped my energy and mood, especially depending on where I was in my cycle. I do think it can take a while to break bad food habits mentally/psychologically, but physically, I really do think some tweaks would help immediately. 

lainey - Thank you so much! Some days are almost normal, but some days I still feel very stunned. My mom is who I feel just awful for now - she is a very capable woman, and smart, and has always worked outside the home, but the same time what she's navigating now is overwhelming. I go over and see her twice a week (she lives about 45 minutes from me) and walking in the house is hard, but leaving her is even worse. Grief is the pits. 

allyson - You mentioned your life after Whole30? I've been thinking about that a lot for me. Well,  when I finished my first back in January I was entirely too quick to go back to my "old life." It was a very slippery, very fast slide downhill in my case. This time I'm going to go with the Mel Joulwan (of Well Fed) method: Everything in the house is compliant, and out of the house I'm as compliant as possible. After reintros and seeing what I truly need to avoid, that means I'm not going to worry too much about specific cooking oils while eating out, for example. But I know I need to be off the sugar train, for good. Only a few things are really worth it, with as good as I feel now. 

In my real life, I have to fire someone in about an hour. :( I'm feeling anxious and nervous and having a bit of a pity party. My first reaction was to think about a food reward when this is done - see how ingrained it is? Yuck. 

Have a good Thursday, everyone!

Oh you guys...my heart sinks when I hear struggles like these. My parents are getting quite old and I dread the day I have to let go. I hope you can find your peace. I hope you all realize how incredibly strong you are just for making it this far and navigateing huge obstacles along the way. I've noticed lately how many seem to have dropped out and I want to commend your determination for still hanging in there. This is not easy.

I also was so close to hanging it up last weekend but just like someone said, my stubbornness is the only thing that got me through. That is a quality I don't always use in a useful manor...but I'm really proud I've stuck with it so far and it is also seems to be on "autopilot" for me too.

Britgirl and jenni, please have faith. I was SURE I was going to be the only one who proclaimed that this was SOO NOT WORTH IT because I saw no improvement...and then poof...life improved. It was like a light turned on. I'm dealing with a ton of stress with a project and being in control of my eating and meditation, I'm feeling really happy. I'm sure it's just going to take some longer to purge the evil we have done to ourselves out. And I'm sure I'll pay for that comment from fate over the next few days:).

Also a note on workouts from a recovering over exerciser: be gentle with yourself. Do what feels right whether it's a walk in the fresh air or a 5 min all out because that's all you have time for. I use to force it and I paid dearly over time. I think this program exerts more stress on our psyche than we may realize and I've come to understand over time that trying to hold everything up, change, diet, exercise, life, work, projects, family, sleep, blah blah blah sometimes is not worth it. The world will not end if you don't lift heavy for a while, if it doesn't feel right.

Sometimes I think I need some time just to cement things in. Better eating habits and releasing bad ones, before I can slowly add my more demanding ones back in. I have found that if I don't put pressur to go "kill it" in the gym then I'm more likely to actually GO and once there, have a pretty go sweat.

I've also tried to quit counting down the days so I don't think of this as ON or OFF. It's just becoming my new normal because it really is.

Just my thoughts.

britgirl and jenni - Oh, I hope you post and get some suggestions to tweak! I

lainey - Thank you so much! Some days are almost normal, but some days I still feel very stunned. My mom is who I feel just awful for now - she is a very capable woman, and smart, and has always worked outside the home, but the same time what she's navigating now is overwhelming. I go over and see her twice a week (she lives about 45 minutes from me) and walking in the house is hard, but leaving her is even worse. Grief is the pits. 

In my real life, I have to fire someone in about an hour. :( I'm feeling anxious and nervous and having a bit of a pity party. My first reaction was to think about a food reward when this is done - see how ingrained it is? Yuck. 

!

Jen how did the firing go?? Not something you'd do as a hobby but hope it went ok. If it ever can.......

So very sorry for your loss. Yep grief is totally the pits. I remember feeling it like a huge weight you carry around and I used to want a day off just to recover then put it back on again and carry on with it. Seeing your mums pain must be excruciating. Don't know if it means anything to to but I thought I'd put you both on my daily prayer list. So impressed with you doing this now. Well done that woman.

Right - encouraged by you and the team and stuffed full of starchy veg I'm going to try and remember what I've eaten.........

Think you're my new best friend! Sorry you're struggling but helpful to know you're feeling it too. Great encouragement - thank you. You're food choices look rather better than mine I think tho I'm struggling to remember yday!

JMCBN thanks so much for the offer. That would be great.

If I can remember - yesterday

M1 I had 2 fried eggs in o oil with a red pepper and mushrooms cooked in ghee

Large cup black tea 350 M&s

Medium coffee with 3 sp cocoanut cream mid am

2 large glasses water 800ml total during 25 min online interval workout

Meal 2 on hoof -a tin of mackerel fillets in oil with cucumber slices, a large carrot and stick celery in sticks dipped in sunshine sauce, handful of cashews

2 fresh figs, a peach, large cup of tea. (Eaten over about an hour while out and about and quite late)

Went to the fruit market so ? Too much fruit in one hit?

Large herb tea at home

Meal 3 bolognese sauce with veg in (approx 125g beef per portion) on sweet potato and courgette noodles fried in ghee. (One massive sweet pot and 2 big corvettes between 4 of us) Lettuce and toms.

Fresh cocoanut flesh (1/4 of medium ) and juice from inside. Cup decaf coffee with 2 tsp c cream.

Glass water.

Today felt yukky and struggled to face bfast. Had 2 large cups of tea/herb tea and a breakfast muffin with sausage in (6 eggs made 12 muffins so suspect too little protein.)Poss had fig too. Can't remember

Meal 2 home made veg soup with bone broth, bits of chicken (tho not v much) sweet pot, pot, leeks, onion garlic, kale and spinach and a no fuss fish cake. Black coffee. (Too little protein. There's a pattern here.........Friend here and in rush to get out)

Late afternoon large black tea and a complient naked bar (daughters reject) Don't usually eat these - far too treaty. High sugar.

MeL 3 one roast chicken breast, roast parsnips, roast butternut squash all in o oil, cauli mash with ghee and Cnut cream, green beans and home made pesto sauce. A white peach. A nectarine, handful of blueberries. Cup of black tea. Large glass water.

To be honest meal 3 today was prob larger than usual as son came for dinner. Suspect I'm protein light and unless I'm v organised I struggle to get in a descent lunch but I'm often still full from meal one till about 2 pm.

And sleeping just under 8 hours but doesn't ever feel enough.

Hope you can make some suggestions. Appreciate your help .

Hey, you all. I am still following along. My official start was sEpt 28th, but now, as I read through your posts and some others, I realize while I have been 99% compliant, I still will fill in the gaps from time to time with chicken salad from the market with no sugar but who-knows-what sort of mayo...and cooked restaurant burgers cooked in unknown oil...OH UGH. I am just going to keep on keeping on...tightening the screws a bit more and motoring forward until I think I've nailed a TRULY clean 30 days...

I want to have a clean 30 so I can really do a "scientific" reintro...but I am totally with you, flygrrl....neither ON nor OFF...just the new way I eat. Thanks for being such great and REAL examples everyone!

Hi there, 

Finding time to post on here is a bit tricky at the moment. I am glad I can at least read your posts. It's comforting and motivating to know how strong you are and  how well you manage even when times are rough.

Hungry is the only word that comes to mind to describe my past couple of days. Not all the time, but way too soon after a meal. I wake up hungry and it goes on all day. 4 large meals yesterday, I realized I ate 8 chicken drumsticks in 2 days (in 3 meals). I had 2 dinners on Tuesday. I've never ate that much in my life. My boyfriend looks at me strangly, he is always cautious when it comes to my food experiments (we went through so many together). I have to admit I don't like it, it doesn't do my head any good, I am now worried I will put on weight and my inner dietary advisor suggests we go back to the old ways and eat 16:8 (16 hour fast and 8 hours long eating window) as I intentionally used to for almost three years prior to Whole30.

I didn't come to the programme to lose weight, but of course I hoped for al least couple of pounds and for the dresses to fit a bit better. I would like to get leaner, sure. I want sixpack one day (soon) - won't deny it. But for sure I don't want to gain. Clothes fit as they used to, thank God but it may change very quickly as my appetite is gradualy increasing. 

I've been thinking a lot about it and the only conclusion I arrived at is that I was seriously undereating for way over 20 years. Mayby I just need more. I don't know. I will keep going and see what happnes. My goal for the last 10 days is to truly respect my hunger. Staying compliant, not drinking wine or eating dark chocolate seems to be a doddle when compared with battaling my fear of eating the quantities of food my body seems to need when it feels like its definately too much.

Except that, all is good. Work is busy but I like it that way. It's sunny and I can go for a forest walk after lunch (or two) and take most of the afternoon off,  how great is that.

Have a good day all x

Hello, all! So good to log on this morning (obviously, the guy I fired wasn't let go because of personal computer use on company time  :rolleyes: ) and see people post and catch and know I'm not the only one in this boat. 

So, yeah, the meeting was pretty awful. He came in and immediately asked to record the conversation, which of course is fine, and all my ducks were in a row, but still was nerve-rattling because I'm not an HR specialist and everyone is so litigious these days. I did NOT use food to sooth me - instead I got my hair cut (planned) and then decided to get a pedicure (unplanned splurge, but worth it!). So, yeah, still being soothed, but baby steps, people. 

Today for dinner I'm planning that buffalo chicken casserole that Allyson posted a while back. I'm going to double for leftovers and because my husband can EAT. I'll report on how it goes. 

flygrrl - Grief is not for the faint of heart. But family, friends, and the other people that we surround ourselves with can make a true difference. My dad's death was sudden, but I'm so glad that we took time for one another, and that I can look back with such great memories. Thinking about losing my mom now terrifies me, but I'm trying to do the same with her - focus on the love and time that we have now. 

Also, LOVED your line about no "on" or "off" - just the new normal! Yes, that's what I'm trying to think now, too. 

allyson - I hope a mod chimes in with SWYPO, which to some extent to me seems like it varies from person to person. But that particular combo does seem more SWYPO than not, especially since chia seeds aren't forbidden but they're not exactly encouraged. You could stash them in the freezer if you want, and use after the 30 days? 

britgirl - Thanks for your prayers, we will take them! I will let JMCBN review your food log, but I think you've identified some things (protein, sleep) that you could tweak? But I had to say - and don't think you'll mind, given your name - that I love reading your posts for the pure Britishness of them. :) I was able to spend 10 days in London a couple of years ago with my best friend. It was my first trip there and I came back saying "cheers!" and talking about being on holiday and rhapsodizing about scones and clotted cream to anyone who would listen - basically all the embarrassing things you do with you fall in love with a culture and want to immerse yourself in it. Reading your posts makes me want to go back and do and see more!

lainey - Hmmmm . . . I do think my hunger is different, but can't figure out how to describe it. Less craving-y, for sure. I can have trouble with feeling hangry, but I think that's evened out. On the other hand, I still don't think I'm that person who forgets to eat. Um, no. Not yet. :)

merg - Good for you for sticking with it and making it a process! I would encourage you to aim for the clean 30 days, for sure. My first go 'round, I didn't realize how soy affected me until I was towards the end. And soy is in everything unless you're super strict and careful. 

magdalena - I can't say for sure, of course, but 8 chicken drumsticks in 3 meals absolutely does NOT seem like too much food. I think a lot of us end up restricting and undereating, sometimes for years (yep, me too) and our bodies will rebel in one form or the other: perhaps bingeing, or illness, or crankiness, or whatever. One of the things that first attracted me to Paleo/W30 is the idea that we respect and honor our bodies by feeding them whole, nutritious food in reasonable amounts and trusting them to do their jobs well. When our bodies haven't been trusted in so long, yeah, I do think that it takes them a while to get the message that it's OK, and we're feeding them now, and don't freak out. :) I say all this know that on one level I desperately want to lose a pants size or two. Ack!

Have a great day, all! 

Hello, all! So good to log on this morning (obviously, the guy I fired wasn't let go because of personal computer use on company time  :rolleyes: ) and see people post and catch and know I'm not the only one in this boat. 

So, yeah, the meeting was pretty awful. He came in and immediately asked to record the conversation

britgirl - Thanks for your prayers, we will take them! I will let JMCBN review your food log, but I think you've identified some things (protein, sleep) that you could tweak? But I had to say - and don't think you'll mind, given your name - that I love reading your posts for the pure Britishness of them. :) I was able to spend 10 days in London a couple of years ago with my best friend. It was my first trip there and I came back saying "cheers!" and talking about being on holiday and rhapsodizing about scones and clotted cream to anyone who would listen - basically all the embarrassing things you do with you fall in love with a culture and want to immerse yourself in it. Reading your posts makes me want to go back and do and see more!

Scary meeting!! Hair cut and pedicure sounds pretty moderate after that. I think total facial reconstruction wouldn't have been too excessive ( and possibly wise:). You are Ninja indeed.

And thanks for lovely comments about my posts. Reread the last couple but nope just sound boringly normal to me. When we spent a month in Vermont a few years ago we had to do a LOT of translating. People would stop in supermarkets and stare at us which was a little unnerving before asking us to say "Burberry". Its clearly time you came over again for a dose of Brit. We live in London so anytime you need a bed and, of course, home made scones and clotted cream............not ever so W30 but wd be churlish not to while you're here...........shout. Loudly!

The pain will recede you know, but sadly there are no short cuts. It just has to be gone through. But without wanting to be too Pollyanna it sounds like the "good pain" ( bear with me) of a great thing lost. Not like the aweful bitter pain of eg desertion. Still desperate but lots to be thankful for too and great memories and the secure knowledge of having been loved which over time as the overwhelming pain recedes become real blessings. Don't want to minimise what you're going through but want to encourage you that you will come through this. So so impressed you can do this at the same time!

Have a great weekend with your glam feet!

Eating lots more protein and bigger meals (?? Too much starchy veg now??) but still blooming brain fog and still weary, struggling, complient but seriously naffed off!!

We have protein on tap since I inadvertently defrosted the freezer yday while hoovering (and forgot to plug it back in. Oops. ) so spent yet another blooming day doing blooming cooking.

Sounds like you guys are hitting tiger blood about which I'm delighted ( she growled thru gritted teeth). I just have tiger demeanour!

I'm sad all this vast effort ( cos it has been to keep daughter on it and well fed too) seems to have got me, well, feeling grotty. And low. At least I've stopped weeping to One Direction I guess.........

So sorry to be forum grump. Letting off W30 steam helps, thanks. Hope you're all cruising and having good weekends. Honest!!

Hi,

Hope you are all good and have wonderful and exciting things planned for the weekend.

@ATL_Jen - Britgirl coined it perfectly - you are a Ninja indeed. And I am so glad that there are people in life who makes your pain more bearable.

Girls, I kindly request you stop talking about scones, clotted cream and especially strawberry conserve!

I walked past Charlotte Street Hotel the other day - my favourite venue for high tea and experienced a moment of real sadness. no matter how creative you are you can't make it Paleo, even if you could what's the point. Paleo Scones? No thank you. Officially putting afternoon tea on the list of "I know I will suffer but it's worth it on a special ocassion" foods.

@britgirl - oh no! But at least all the cooking is done and you can put your feet up!

If it makes you feel any better no sigh of tiger blood here, just snappy, hungry and quite tired.

We were planning to go out for the afternoon and my boyfriend said "I think we should leave straight after your second lunch" :) so it's not only me who noticed I am eating way more than normal.

Thanks for your encouragement regarding my appetite, I decided to accept it, worst case I will just quit my job and start eating full time :) simples.

Bacon, chestnut (I know grey area but requested by boyfriend) and Brussel Sprouts with massive pork chop on the top for dinner! Hope that will keep me going for a while.

Have a good one x

Snappy, hungry and quite tired sounds like me too. I am not doing any complicated cooking. A steak and veg's for dinner, or broiled chicken thighs and squash. Morning is hot tea and a banana and 3 strips of bacon. I am not sure what this tiger blood meaning is, but I am still hanging in there. 

Hi everyone! Haven't checked in in a while so I figured today would be a good day. Stilling tooting along. Doing well except I'm hardly ever hungry so I just end up eating when it's "time" to eat. Trying to reduced the amount of fat in each meal just in case I'm overeating; something must have worked because today I woke up hungry! Day 20 must be the charm. Also started some supplements after a visit with my doc on Tuesday. She told me to keep up the great work and that it sounded like I had "totally turned your life around". That made me happy and I'm definitely ready for whole-life. This is not hard, being unhealthy and miserable is.....

Archived