Starting mon 21 September. Anybody in?

britgirl

Glad to be starting week 2 and feeling great! One quick question, my appetite is starting to go down and I'm feeling full with smaller amounts of food. Anyone experienced that so far?

Yes, I've noticed this too! I didn't get to eat lunch until after 2 today, and honestly it wasn't a big deal at all.  Normally I would have been ravenous! I had an RxBar bar in my purse but didn't have an urge to eat it. I wanted to wait until I could eat a template lunch -- definitely a victory for me:)

ATL_jen - Who is your football team? I'm a big DAWGS fan but I live in AL -- I wish I could make it to Athens this weekend!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kruddock...I did the exact same thing with coffee on Sunday! I have cut out coffee before, when I tried ayurveda, and I only drink decaf, but the effect of one cup was shocking! I just had a craving for coffee so bad, so I made a cup and put almond milk in it...I can't handle the drink-it-black thing...seriously. Almost as soon as the first sip went down, I felt horrible. My stomach felt weird, I was dizzy, and sweaty, and didn't even finish the cup. So...I'm reopening the world of TEA...so many yummy and good-for-you teas! And so easy to make your own delicious blends!

Oh so tired off eggs! Never cared much for them before whole30....dont know if I can gag another one down. Im eating leftover dinners for breakfast and that's okay. But when I don't have leftovers, im at a loss. How to disguise an egg? Breakfast ideas please!

Same here and short of ideas.

Same here and short of ideas.

Anyone struggling with breakfast ideas could take a look at this thread for some great inspiration, remembering that anything you can eat for meal two or three can be eaten at meal one as well - it's much easier to think in these terms than to think of your meals as breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Also, try Googling 'Whole30 non egg breakfasts' and you should get plenty more suggestions.....

Good morning on day #9!

Hope you are all well.

I am coming down with a nasty cold and was wondering if anyone knows any whole30 compliant remedies. I would usually have hot water with lots of ginger, lemon and honey or cup of hot milk with honey and heaped spoonful of butter (I know sounds horrible but it's what my granny used to give me when I was a child, I love it and it's my miracle medicine). Now I feel I am left only with home made broth.

Help needed!

Thank you x

Good morning on day #9!

Hope you are all well.

I am coming down with a nasty cold and was wondering if anyone knows any whole30 compliant remedies. I would usually have hot water with lots of ginger, lemon and honey or cup of hot milk with honey and heaped spoonful of butter (I know sounds horrible but it's what my granny used to give me when I was a child, I love it and it's my miracle medicine). Now I feel I am left only with home made broth.

Help needed!

Thank you x

Ginger tea will work well, as will bone broth as you've said. Pineapple contains an anti-inflammatory enzyme called bromelain which may help with the breakdown of mucous although there is little scientific evidence to back this up - stick to bland foods like mashed root veg/potato with coconut milk or ghee, scrambled eggs & blended soups...

Hope you're on the mend soon.

I can see why most quit around day 10.

I was feeling the blaahs this morning unable to get going (and I have SOOOOO much to do) so i grabbed the book and looked up day 10 and sure enough....

Being at home, I don't find this hard, just inconvenient.   I miss the ability to just grab a clean protein bar or mix up a quick shake so I can get going with things.  Instead I find myself in the kitchen ALL THE TIME it seems.

And I am tired.  I sleep sometimes 10 hours a night.  12 on Saturday.  I am lucky I have the luxury to do so when I need it.  

I am not going to quit.  I committed but I am REALLY hopeful that the energy comes back sometime soon.  

I can't remember who said it but it has stuck with me through more than a few situations:

"I am NOT going out like this"

Genius.   

Good morning on day #9!

Hope you are all well.

Help needed!

Thank you x

I can't say enough about homemade chicken soup, too.  I know it sounds trite and cliche but there is research behind it and there in no better way to give yourself a nice warm feeling while feeding your body a lot of nutrients when usually nothing else sounds good.  

Yes if you can make it with bone broth, that is the best for the immune system but by adding good clean veggies and garlic, you get the bonus.  I like cayenne pepper in mine to help clean out the sinuses and I literally clean out the fridge making it.

I had 2 sick ones in the house this weekend and into the freezer I went for a gallon baggie of homemade broth, dumped it in the crock pot and cut up carrots, onions, celery, beets (including the tops), spinach, sweet potato, peppers, garlic, and some left over chicken.  I left it on the counter all weekend and they just spooned out a cup when they walked by.  

Fixed them right up.  Good luck  

Still finding no real challenges, I guess because I was already on somewhat of a diet with no gallbladder. No fried or greasy foods, etc. And I had already weaned myself off deserts months prior, only had to give up my fav italian ices at night. But I did commit a big no no and I will confess. Yesterday I weighed myself. I know, against the rules. However I had lost X lbs and it gave me the encouragement to keep on, and not give in to boredom or any other detour I may want to make. However I did reintroduce my Chobani probiotic yougart for breakfast. My dr asked me to do just that one thing for him, he said otherwise I may proceed. 

Day 10. Just finished breakfast and feeling . . . meh. Not really wanting to quit, but mostly just feeling slightly apathetic. My exercise has been off for a while now - I exercise regularly, but since my dad passed away 3 weeks ago I have no drive to work out. I'm trying to figure out if I'm being kind to myself there, or allowing myself to be lazy. I do think some physical activity would be good and maybe get me out of these doldrums. 

I'm jealous of all the sleep some of you are getting! I'm up every morning at 5 and my husband often doesn't get home from work until 8 or so, and I do like seeing him. :) Working this weekend, too. Maybe a good old-fashioned nap! 

Lainey - I'm from Florida and went to UF, so Go Gators! :) I do think we can both agree that Alabama needs to lose at every possible opportunity, right? Where are you in AL? My husband and I will be in Birmingham this weekend for an arts festival. 

jennieguiol - I'm sure a moderator with comment on the weighing and the yogurt, but if you're just doing the yogurt for probiotics there are A LOT of options out there that would be W30 compliant (raw sauerkraut, kombucha, even supplements). I knew I was lactose intolerant but always thought my daily Greek yogurt didn't bother my system - it wasn't until I eliminated it completely for 30 days and then tried to reintroduce that I realized it messed me up just as much as other dairy. The thing about the W30 is that you have to get rid of those possible triggers for an extended about of time before you can be sure how they affect you. 

Have a good day, everyone!

Still finding no real challenges, I guess because I was already on somewhat of a diet with no gallbladder. No fried or greasy foods, etc. And I had already weaned myself off deserts months prior, only had to give up my fav italian ices at night. But I did commit a big no no and I will confess. Yesterday I weighed myself. I know, against the rules. However I had lost X lbs and it gave me the encouragement to keep on, and not give in to boredom or any other detour I may want to make. However I did reintroduce my Chobani probiotic yougart for breakfast. My dr asked me to do just that one thing for him, he said otherwise I may proceed. 

Jennie, I've edited your post to remove your comment about weight loss as this is against the rules and, although unintentional, it can make others more eager to discover their results. Weightloss is not linear on a Whole30 and many people find they gain weight around the middle of the program and as such we would encourage everyone to stay off the scale...

With regard to the yoghurt, dairy is a known gut disruptor, and as such is strictly off limits during your Whole30. If you wish to include a probiotic of some description there are many compliant ones out there. ​Could you speak with your doctor about a different form of compliant probiotic & ditch the yoghurt?

Unfortunately by consuming the dairy you won't get that gut re-set and so you'll no longer have that clean slate on which to test your reactions to eliminated foods. 

hi all, 

just wanted to say hi and i'm still here! It's really encouraging to hear how you're all doing, even if i've been pretty quiet myself.

I'm with @ATL_Jen - just feeling a bit meh. I have a really tiny kitchen and only one shelf in a fridge, so doing lots of prep isn't possible. Because of that i'm finding that actually planning/preparing meals is the most stressful part - i burst into tears yesterday when i realised that the fancy compliant sausages i'd bought at the weekend had already gone off and i didn't have anything to use in their place! However i know that the lack of space is what led me to eating badly (microwave meals etc) so I really want to stick this out and get back into the habit of cooking real meals for myself...

i've read that the 10-11 day point is where most people quit, so i really hope all of you are doing ok?

Good luck, we've totally got this!

ATL_Jen -- I'm in Birmingham! I hope your DH and you have a great weekend here! I was pulling for Florida over TN last weekend.... SO happy they pulled it out at the very end! 

It's Day 12 for me --- I'm feeling a little above "meh" but not OMG EXCITED! if that makes sense. Just kind of plugging along! What are some of the favorite recipes that everyone is making? I feel like I always need new ideas.  

Day 10. Just finished breakfast and feeling . . . meh. Not really wanting to quit, but mostly just feeling slightly apathetic. My exercise has been off for a while now - I exercise regularly, but since my dad passed away 3 weeks ago I have no drive to work out. I'm trying to figure out if I'm being kind to myself there, or allowing myself to be lazy. I do think some physical activity would be good and maybe get me out of these doldrums.

I'm jealous of all the sleep some of you are getting! I'm up every morning at 5 and my husband often doesn't get home from work until 8 or so, and I do like seeing him. :) Working this weekend, too. Maybe a good old-fashioned nap!

Oh hallelujah and THANK YOU for posting this. Also Jenni m. I am SOOOOO relieved I'm not the only one feeling like my hinder is dragging all day. You don't know how much that means to hear that and what motivation it is to keep plugging along. I'm sorry to post that I am/can sleep more and I apologize if it irritates anyone. I totally realize I am in a really good place to be able to do that and the last thing I wish to do is flaunt it. I often covet people who are home every night but I'm coming to terms with that on my own. For me, no more excuses and that has taken A LOT of work mentally. I find it interesting and motivational to see which areas everyone struggles with and makes me realize how grateful I should be in the areas I don't.

I totally agree on the exercise part. Am I being gentile with myself or just getting lazy? I am "forcing" myself to get out and move everyday somehow even if it just a good walk in the fresh air. It really does help both my psyche and mood. I have failed so many times before trying to hold up the crazy workout schedule AND a fresh eating plan that I'm just going with the "gentile" route.

Day 11 here and ZERO slips. If you knew how many times I've messed this up and how many times I've throw in the towel by now, I think you'd accompany me on my Happy Dance. I'm doing one for all of you too.

Hmmm. I think I now have the motivation to go throw some weights around.....

Still doing great as I begin Wednesday. Thank you for helpful suggestions on probiotic alternatives. Unfortunately with the recent gall bladder removal, I cannot eat many items, such as hamburger, tomatoes,among others. The yougart I eat in morning actually soothes my stomach and I only mentioned its probiotic because it is one that is not as bad as some of the others out there with sugars. I tried chicken soup in the morning, but other than that stomach just hurts. Read an interesting article on azodicarbonamide, which is a whitening agent and used in breads, toaster treats,etc. and is doing horrible work in our digestive systems. It is banned in many countries, but not the U.S.  The Whole30 keeps you away from these kinds of additives and I have been trying to educate the rest of my family in the need to dump preservatives and chemicals from their diets. I think that at the end of the 30 days, I will be keep up the ban on sugar and chemicals, and really be cautious about what I eat. I already have had to give up fried foods and sodas, so I am quite proud of how far I have come since I have started this diet. It has not hindered my daily activities, I prepare my foods as far in advance as I am able. I still go fishing and biking. I joined a couple of bike challenges thru the Mapmyride app, and maintaining the 10 mile ride each day. I think it helps to treat the rest of your day with "business as usual" thoughts, lol.

You guys, I blew this round. 2 days ago. I'm envious of you all who are working so hard to do this! You are 1/3 of the way!! Keep it up. I realize one slip is not worth it. I already had some NSVs going too. I'm jumping over to the Oct. 1st group which starts tomorrow. I'll miss this group - I'll only be 10 days behind you!

You guys, I blew this round. 2 days ago. I'm envious of you all who are working so hard to do this! You are 1/3 of the way!! Keep it up. I realize one slip is not worth it. I already had some NSVs going too. I'm jumping over to the Oct. 1st group which starts tomorrow. I'll miss this group - I'll only be 10 days behind you!

I think you should give yourself BIG props for starting right back over tomorrow. I'm on my second Whole30 after a few Whole10-12's, where I made a mistake and instead of starting over, I kind of gave up. So giving you a high five ~ definitely continue to post in this thread too if you want to! :)

Hey everybody! Day ten is 12 minutes away from over for me and have to say I'm not feeling bad but not feeling the tiger blood either. I've had a big week school-wise so not sure if that has me down but just feeling like I'm plodding along. Definitely not quitting, or thinking about quitting, but having trouble seeing some of these amazing no scale victories. Hoping its just a phase and we will be feeling awesome in no time!

I have really enjoyed the simplicity of whole30. I don't have to think about what to eat(protein, fat, veggies done) and always feel satisfied. No more internal dialogue of "I feel bad about eating that. Should I eat this?" which is SUCH a relief! 

Question for experienced or moderators: My days can go from 7:30 AM to about 2:30 AM (college life). If I am eating at meal 1 at 8, meal 2 at 1, and meal 3 at 6-7 should I eat again, at like 11 PM? Is it only necessary if I'm hungry? Like tonight I had an RX bar at 11 PM after a 6:30 PM dinner- which I didn't consider snacking but I don't want this last "meal" to feed my snack dragon- who roars just as loud as my sugar dragon.

For those who didn't catch it at the beginning- I am posting on instagram my meals, meal prep and thoughts regarding whole30, if you want to follow along my username is allyson_whole30

Hey everybody! Day ten is 12 minutes away from over for me and have to say I'm not feeling bad but not feeling the tiger blood either. I've had a big week school-wise so not sure if that has me down but just feeling like I'm plodding along. Definitely not quitting, or thinking about quitting, but having trouble seeing some of these amazing no scale victories. Hoping its just a phase and we will be feeling awesome in no time!

I have really enjoyed the simplicity of whole30. I don't have to think about what to eat(protein, fat, veggies done) and always feel satisfied. No more internal dialogue of "I feel bad about eating that. Should I eat this?" which is SUCH a relief! 

Question for experienced or moderators: My days can go from 7:30 AM to about 2:30 AM (college life). If I am eating at meal 1 at 8, meal 2 at 1, and meal 3 at 6-7 should I eat again, at like 11 PM? Is it only necessary if I'm hungry? Like tonight I had an RX bar at 11 PM after a 6:30 PM dinner- which I didn't consider snacking but I don't want this last "meal" to feed my snack dragon- who roars just as loud as my sugar dragon.

For those who didn't catch it at the beginning- I am posting on instagram my meals, meal prep and thoughts regarding whole30, if you want to follow along my username is allyson_whole30

First off day 10 is the day that most people give up so if you've made it through those final 12 mins then you're headed in the right direction - many people don't see/feel the magic until the latter stages.

Regarding your days - if you're hungry then eat. If you're building each of your meals to keep you satiated for 4-5 hrs but your day is long then add in an extra meal, or at least a mini-meal/snack comprised of at least 2 of the 3 food groups - so fat & protein, fat & carbs, or carbs & protein. Fat & protein is the best option to keep any kind of dragon at bay....

Keep up the good work  :)

Take a look at >this thread< for some breakfast inspiration...

Thanks for your help jmcbn. I'm not that keen on meat so have been eating vastly more than usual but can't quite cope with the volumes

the book suggests (eg 450g beef makes 3 burgers. I mix with carrot and onion and sweet pot and make 10!! Ieat one with one or two fried or scrambled eggs and grilled pepper. That's been really filling me up and lasts me to 1 or 2 pm v happily.

I think I need to re read all the template stuff. Again. I was thinking of almonds as part protein. It seems you can't really get away from meat or eggs??

The breakfast thread has lots of ideas, thanks.

I'm making Melissa's chicken hash for tea so will try and make enough to have for breakfast tomorrow.

Posted Yesterday, 07:03 PM

Rockin rain! Don't leave us! Well miss you! Any well done keeping with it.

Keep with us as well keep on anyway for reintro I imagine.

How did you blow it?

Is anyone else a weepy wreck? Not only am I dreaming about finding myself with a mouthful of cookie and having to spit it out and find somewhere to wash my mouth out while on holiday in Switzerland ( like you do) but I've started crying to One Direction songs. I feel like a 13 year old. Seriously - is this normal??? I know the dreaming is but the weepy bit?? What's going on??

I know the dreaming is but the weepy bit?? What's going on??

Yup, also fairly normal. You may find increasing your intake of starchy veg will help with this - particularly if you are prone to anxiety or depression.

This too shall pass!

Archived