Starting mon 21 September. Anybody in?

britgirl

Hi jmcbn, thanks for the offer! 

yesterday M1 = 2 x poached eggs, spinach and yellow peppers, nuts.

M2 = tuna with homemade mayo, green salad, tomatoes & cucumber. sweet potato. apple with a spoon of almond butter.

M3 =  homemade beef bolognese with lots of veg, new potatoes tossed in ghee and broccoli, with some garlic mayo for fat.

today M1 = homemade beef bolognese with a load of spinach mixed in, nuts and a grapefruit.

M2 = tuna, green salad, cucumber, pickled red cabbage and sweet potato. apple with a spoon of almond butter

M3 = chicken curry cooked in coconut milk with courgette, onions and peppers. cauliflower rice and cashew nuts. 

tried to keep my portions as per the template, and i've never felt hungry after a meal. drinking plenty of water and herbal tea through the day, and a couple of cups of black tea/coffee. getting at least 8 hours sleep a night.

would be great to get your feedback!

Apologies for only replying now - I've had a hectic few days so only just getting caught up.

What jumps out at me about your log is the amount of nuts - you're eating them at every meal. Bear in mind that nuts have a very poor omega 3:6 ratio, and as such they should be eaten only in moderation - say every few days.... They are notoriously hard on the digestive system, and can cause tummy upset, bloating, constipation, diarrhea etc etc etc - I'd definitely cut back on those.

The composition of your meals doesn't look too bad apart from that, although your breakfast of 2 poached eggs with the spinach looks very small to me. Eggs when they are your only source of protein in a meal should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people. Spinach when cooked/chewed down doesn't really amount to very much....

Question: is coconut milk with chia seeds on fruit considered SWYPO? I bought a whole bag of chia seeds before reading It Starts with Food and can't figure out anything to do with them  :unsure:

Yes. Chia seeds are a fat source, and an inferior one at that. Your coconut milk is also a fat source. Adding fruit makes it pretty dessert-ish and doesn't really meet the recommended template of protein, fats & veggies.......

Think you're my new best friend! Sorry you're struggling but helpful to know you're feeling it too. Great encouragement - thank you. You're food choices look rather better than mine I think tho I'm struggling to remember yday!

JMCBN thanks so much for the offer. That would be great.

If I can remember - yesterday

M1 I had 2 fried eggs in o oil with a red pepper and mushrooms cooked in ghee

Large cup black tea 350 M&s

Medium coffee with 3 sp cocoanut cream mid am

2 large glasses water 800ml total during 25 min online interval workout

Meal 2 on hoof -a tin of mackerel fillets in oil with cucumber slices, a large carrot and stick celery in sticks dipped in sunshine sauce, handful of cashews

2 fresh figs, a peach, large cup of tea. (Eaten over about an hour while out and about and quite late)

Went to the fruit market so ? Too much fruit in one hit?

Large herb tea at home

Meal 3 bolognese sauce with veg in (approx 125g beef per portion) on sweet potato and courgette noodles fried in ghee. (One massive sweet pot and 2 big corvettes between 4 of us) Lettuce and toms.

Fresh cocoanut flesh (1/4 of medium ) and juice from inside. Cup decaf coffee with 2 tsp c cream.

Glass water.

Today felt yukky and struggled to face bfast. Had 2 large cups of tea/herb tea and a breakfast muffin with sausage in (6 eggs made 12 muffins so suspect too little protein.)Poss had fig too. Can't remember

Meal 2 home made veg soup with bone broth, bits of chicken (tho not v much) sweet pot, pot, leeks, onion garlic, kale and spinach and a no fuss fish cake. Black coffee. (Too little protein. There's a pattern here.........Friend here and in rush to get out)

Late afternoon large black tea and a complient naked bar (daughters reject) Don't usually eat these - far too treaty. High sugar.

MeL 3 one roast chicken breast, roast parsnips, roast butternut squash all in o oil, cauli mash with ghee and Cnut cream, green beans and home made pesto sauce. A white peach. A nectarine, handful of blueberries. Cup of black tea. Large glass water.

To be honest meal 3 today was prob larger than usual as son came for dinner. Suspect I'm protein light and unless I'm v organised I struggle to get in a descent lunch but I'm often still full from meal one till about 2 pm.

And sleeping just under 8 hours but doesn't ever feel enough.

Hope you can make some suggestions. Appreciate your help .

Ok, yep, too light on protein, too heavy on fruit. The figs especially will play havoc with your blood sugar, and as such mess with your energy levels & appetite. The nakd bar, whilst compliant, is pretty much 'candy' and should be eaten in emergencies only - I have yet to see a valid emergency on these forums that warranted their consumption.

A serving of eggs, when they are your only source of protein in a meal should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand - I can manage 4 when I'm hungry, but 3 is a good number for most people.

I think if you focus on your breakfast, making sure it satiates you for 4-5 hrs by increasing the protein you'll have less of a need for the fruit.

The fact that you're not feeling great in the morning is a clear indicator that you really need to be eating in the morning - it sounds odd I know, but if your hormones are in whack you will automatically waken hungry.

You could also do with increasing your water intake. The recommendation is for half an ounce of water per pound of body weight - I think you've some work to do here!!

You're spot on as far as starchy veg is concerned, and I think you're good with fat too, so just focus on increasing your breakfast, cutting out the snacks (especially the fruit), increasing the water, and hopefully you should start to see some improvement.

As far as sleep is concerned you could add in a magnesium supplement (most of us are deficient anyways due to modern farming techniques depleting magnesium in the soil) and see if that helps - opt for magnesium citrate over magmesium oxide as it is more easily absorbed - or try some epsom salts baths which will also be calming before bed.

Hope this helps!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jmcbn good to have you back! Many thanks for comments and suggestions. Great to get your input. Have cut fruit right down (is one fig per day or as part of a salad ok or best not?), hidden the naked bars, upped the protein and trying to eat a larger variety of salAd and raw veg to up the nutrients too. Need to work on the water still but doing better. Will hunt down that supplement this week. Many many thanks.

Nb With a 2 egg breakfast I'm full till after 2. So if I eat 3...........should you eat anyway even if you don't feel the need to? I have been but wonder what the general rule is on this?

Made kale chips this eve while w30 moussaka in oven. Didn't have high hopes but actually light and crispy like crispy seaweed and actually surprisingly pleasant and felt pretty virtuous!

Just checking in ~ I hope everyone had a good weekend. I ended up going out of town .... and stayed compliant! Compliant beef jerky, celery and Green Mountain salsa, nut butter packets, and apples saved the day. I didn't exactly get to eat three template meal everyday but I'm proud to have stayed compliant. 

Question:

My starting weight was a little over 200lbs. So technically I should be drinking almost 100oz of water per day. (Which is overwhelming) I usually drink 20oz in the morning, a 12oz coconut water, a 12oz lacroix, and try to do another 20oz bottle in the afternoon. Not getting nearly enough but is counting my other "drinks" as water okay?

Hi Jmcbn good to have you back! Many thanks for comments and suggestions. Great to get your input. Have cut fruit right down (is one fig per day or as part of a salad ok or best not?), hidden the naked bars, upped the protein and trying to eat a larger variety of salAd and raw veg to up the nutrients too. Need to work on the water still but doing better. Will hunt down that supplement this week. Many many thanks.

Nb With a 2 egg breakfast I'm full till after 2. So if I eat 3...........should you eat anyway even if you don't feel the need to? I have been but wonder what the general rule is on this?

Made kale chips this eve while w30 moussaka in oven. Didn't have high hopes but actually light and crispy like crispy seaweed and actually surprisingly pleasant and felt pretty virtuous!

Kale chips are great, but just be very careful you're not preparing snacky food - if you plan to snack you will, and snacking will detract from your actual meals, and in turn your success - you really want to try & get that 4-5hr window between meals as that's when your body will start to turn to fat stores for fuel, rather relying on the constant stream of food you are providing.

What time are you eating breakfast at that you're not hungry until 2pm?

That coffee you're having mid morning (with added fat) is an appetite suppressant - perhaps you'd do better to have that directly after your meal one instead, if you feel the need to have a coffee..... This could be why you're not hungry until 2pm rather than the size of your breakfast.

Question:

My starting weight was a little over 200lbs. So technically I should be drinking almost 100oz of water per day. (Which is overwhelming) I usually drink 20oz in the morning, a 12oz coconut water, a 12oz lacroix, and try to do another 20oz bottle in the afternoon. Not getting nearly enough but is counting my other "drinks" as water okay?

To be honest you'd be better switching the coconut water for actual water or herbal tea. Coconut water is a light fruit juice & really only intended for use in endurance events or for those who are in jobs where they'd be particularly prone to dehydration. You could count herbal/fruit teas towards your water intake, but not coffee as it's thought to be dehydrating.

Kale chips are great, but just be very careful you're not preparing snacky food - if you plan to snack you will, and snacking will detract from your actual meals, and in turn your success - you really want to try & get that 4-5hr window between meals as that's when your body will start to turn to fat stores for fuel, rather relying on the constant stream of food you are providing.

What time are you eating breakfast at that you're not hungry until 2pm?

That coffee you're having mid morning (with added fat) is an appetite suppressant - perhaps you'd do better to have that directly after your meal one instead, if you feel the need to have a coffee..... This could be why you're not hungry until 2pm rather than the size of your .

Aha......will work on the window. Hadn't though of coffee as snacking but I guess it's quite high calorie with cocoanut cream in. Not that fussed about coffee now lattes off the menu so will switch to herb teas or just water. That's a great thing about whole 30 - have drastically cut down on snacks (fruit/veg market day was atypical and foolish over buying of fruit) as really don't get hungry. Apply the ',am I hungry enough to eat fish and cucumber' thing which shows usually that I'm not. Just snacky. Working for that window is really helpful.

Breakfast usually done by 8. Sometimes later if I do my 30min fairly low intensity work out first but still done by 9. Today will have to eat meal 2 at 12 ish as out on home visits all afternoon and that's my only chance but will feel horribly early. Have delicious left over moussaka which might help!

Good Monday morning! (For those in the same-ish time zones, at least.) I hope everyone has survived the weekend. I kept meaning to check/post this weekend, but in the end leaving my iPad shut the majority of the weekend was a nice way to rest. :)

Thanks for all the kind words about my Ninja skills, britgirl and magdalena, and I will definitely stop talking about and thinking about scones at all! :) In fact, scones are simply terrible, right? Let's just tell ourselves that. 

I hope that those are having a rough time of it right now are able to make some helpful adjustments and that - if not tiger blood - you get to feeling less tired/hungry/cranky. That's just not sustainable, I know. Hopefully the wonderful jmcbn's experience and advice will help!  

A word about tiger blood - I don't think I have it, and I don't really remember being overwhelmed with it on my first round, either. So maybe it's just not in the cards for me? Or maybe I interpret it differently? Because what I do think is that I have a general sense of well-being and making good, healthy choices. I don't feel out of control around food. I am pleased with my nutrition and my blood sugar has evened out. I rarely feel "hangry" at all. I haven't binged in as long as I can remember (something I've struggled with in the past when I feel deprived or underfed). So all of those things I will take, even if it means I say no a lot to things that I would like to say yes to - a glass of red wine, some occasional chocolate, cashew milk ice cream . . . those kinds of "treats" that will have to stay VERY occasional if I'm going to remain successful with this long term. 

Oh! One recipe note - I made the Buffalo Chicken Casserole from PaleOMG on Friday night and it was stupendous! I was super skeptical looking at the recipe, but it was SO good and a perfect Friday night "fun" meal. I doubled the recipe, used even larger spaghetti squash than called for, and will have food for days. Yay!

Have a good day/evening, all!

To be honest you'd be better switching the coconut water for actual water or herbal tea. Coconut water is a light fruit juice & really only intended for use in endurance events or for those who are in jobs where they'd be particularly prone to dehydration. You could count herbal/fruit teas towards your water intake, but not coffee as it's thought to be dehydrating.

Thanks! I do drink a couple cups of herbal tea a day but had not counted them in. Balancing everything is tough but this definitely helps!

Hey everybody, just checking in!

Can't believe its already day 22! Feeling good, well rested, better mood and in a whole30 groove. Went home for the long weekend and went grocery shopping with my mom, she couldn't believe how strict the rules were but respected the process. I also made the Buffalo Chicken Casserole... YUM! I pair it with some avocado and it is delicious!

I'm ready to weigh in and take my "after" picture to see how far I've come.. but also not ready to give up the paleo/whole30 lifestyle. Thinking I will keep my home compliant and enjoy eating out whenever I do, but in a healthier way. Long gone are the days binging on chips and cookies!

Hope everyone can ROCK this last week, we've got this!

Right now I find I am feeling really disappointed.

I am certainly not bounding with energy. I'm better than week one but better than week -1? No.

I am not over cravings. Not even close.

I am not pausing in the mirror because I really don't think I look much different. I don't DARE get on the scale cuz if it says no change, I will flip my lid after all this effort.

Life changing? I can still be hopeful but I highly doubt it.

I really want to believe and can certainly connect all the good in my life to this but in reality? I, for one, am still not convinced this was worth it.

I really hope I am the anomaly. I really hope I did not get my hopes up too high. The fall will be very painful.

I am certainly not bounding with energy. I'm better than week one but better than week -1? No.

I am not pausing in the mirror because I really don't think I look much different. I don't DARE get on the scale cuz if it says no change, I will flip my lid after all this effort.

I really want to believe and can certainly connect all the good in my life to this but in reality? I, for one, am still not convinced this was worth it.

I really hope I am the anomaly. I really hope I did not get my hopes up too high. The fall will be very painful.

Sorry you're feeling discouraged.

A gentle reminder that this is a 30 day program. http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/

If you like to confirm whether you're on the right track, post a few days worth of your food and water intake in the Troubleshooting section for feedback. http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/

In the meantime, try focusing on and documenting the non-scale victories you experience as you go through the program.

Don't give up! I had VERY mixed feeling about starting whole30 fearing that it would not be worth it and I would have wasted 30 days not seeing any results AND not eating cookies (my personal weakness). I read this article in preparation for a "meh" whole30, it may help you right now! http://whole9life.com/2012/10/six-reasons-why-the-whole30-didnt-work-for-you/

They are all about the tough love, which can be a hard pill to swallow after feeling like you've been doing it right! Try focusing on making these last 8 days the best and go out strong! You've got this! Sending good vibes your way!

Don't give up! I had VERY mixed feeling about starting whole30 fearing that it would not be worth it and I would have wasted 30 days not seeing any results AND not eating cookies (my personal weakness). I read this article in preparation for a "meh" whole30, it may help you right now! http://whole9life.com/2012/10/six-reasons-why-the-whole30-didnt-work-for-you/

They are all about the tough love, which can be a hard pill to swallow after feeling like you've been doing it right! Try focusing on making these last 8 days the best and go out strong! You've got this! Sending good vibes your way!

That's a really good article, thanks for posting that. Much more info than in the book and even references the menopause which maybe explains some of my lack of magic.

Love the advice about going out strong. Think last 10 days may need "constant vigilance" to quote Proff Lockheart. I think it will be tempting to slacken off as we get almost there.

We've all done so well hanging in there and making changes and sticking with it. I'm really not sure I'd have come this far without you guys. Thanks y'all! ( I have a v good Texan friend!)

allyson - What a great article, and something for me to be reminded of, for sure. Thanks! 

britgirl - I'm glad that article helped, and yes, I often think "constant vigilance!" myself. :) Also, if you speak Texan you are totally bilingual. 

Today and tomorrow are going to be very busy at work, and I'm kind of overcaffeinated in anticipation. Maybe not the best choice. The two things I continue to depend on, contrary to the W30 guidelines, are too much coffee (have always loved it black, so that's no biggie) and my love of fruit. I could devour an entire bag of grapes, or multiple clementines, if I let myself. I know that, going forward, I need to deal with those things. 

Other than that, all is well in Atlanta and I'm going to face the day. Wishing you all a good day!

Jennifer 

Good morning,

Only one week to go! I can almost see the finish line!

News: that tiger (evenif it's only a cub) blood they are talking about may acctually exist.

Past couple of days: horrible. I was very low and eventhough I technically stayed compliant, a jar of almond butter has vanished! in the worst possible way, I ate it (3/4 of it) on Saturday, straight form the jar with a spoon while sitting on a sofa and feeling sorry for myself. Why? Because my throusers got tighter. (twisted reasoning) But also probobly because I did two hours of hard excercise and didn't eat enough. Or mayby because I had a nectarine which I experimented with to see if it will bring on the crazy (my version for sugar dragon) Considering all that no wonder for the first time since the beginning I had cravings, mainly for vegetable crisps and latte. My boyfriend's box of Krispy Creams that lived in the fridge over the weekend and serving a lemon merangue for a dessert on Sunday didn't help. I also think I subconsciouslly attempted to toy with my hunger again and played one of my favourite past games: "let's see if I can go without food for another hour" hence the cravings for things I don't evenl like. There won't be any more of that. If I have to eat three dinners I will eat three dinners! (BTW: I've been given a new nick name at home, I am being called Hobbit as apparently they eat a lot)

Monday: I discovered that eggs might not agree with me, strange and something to look at. Wasn't very well at all.

Yestraday: Different woman, full of beans, strong work out, managed very streasfull day rather welll, grump was gone.

Today: my moves are more energetic, I just get one thing done and move to the next. I am not too discouraged by gazzilion emails I have to write.

Tightness of the throusers annoyed me only for a split of a second, decided to wear a comfortable dress instead. Can't wait for my lifting session this evening. Things are different, things are better.

I believe it will come for all of us, may the patience be with you!

I've learnt a lot already but I need more so I decided I am going to start second round straight away. Anyone with me?

It is now confirmed that I will be travelling on our last official day and will be away for over two weeks. It will be tricky, but thanks to the internet I can prepare, preplan and make it possible. The only problem are travel days - anyone tried to go through airport security with tupperware full of food? :)

Have a lovely day x

Hey! I was coming to the forum to apologize for not being around (work is in our crazy-busy time right now) but I see we're all in the same boat! :) I hope that everyone is still trucking along, here on Day 25! 

Magdalena, that all sounds awesome! I hope the tiger blood stays with. I think you've identified a lot of triggers for the stupid jar of almond butter. That's on the many things that's on my list of FWOB and I just don't buy. My husband really like the Well Fed pad thai recipe that uses sunshine sauce, but I can't trust myself to have the sunflower seed or almond butter in my house to make it. Maybe I could buy it and leave the jar at work? Never attacked anything with a spoon here! :)

Have a great day, all!

When I went shopping for the camping trip, I found a couple of different kinds of packets of compliant nut butter... Artisana and Justin's almond butter -- I wonder if something like that would be helpful, for when you need nut butters for recipes but don't want to keep a big jar of the butter around? I love that Paid Thai recipe from Well Fed too! Happy Day 25!

It's our last official weekend of our Whole30! Does anyone feel like the time has flown or has it been a long month for you? I would love to hear if you've started to think about what you are going to do after Day 30 -- are you going to keep going for a litte while or start reintro?

Maybe we can start another chat thread in the reintro section after Tuesday. It would be great to continue talking with y'all. :-)

Day 26, is it even possible?! 

The month seemed to go slow at times but looking back just flew! Yesterday I think I really had the TIGER BLOOD! I woke up at 6 AM (after sleeping for about 4 hours) and went to class, work, the apple store (phone issues) and a party! I really wasn't tired and could move from one thing to the next no problem.

Regarding reintroduction: I am going to do my BEST to really pay attention and do it the right way. I want to know what foods affect me and there is no better time than now to find out. Friends I've talked to all say they regret not doing reintroduction. My 21st birthday is the at the end of reintroduction so that day may be wheels off. After that going to try and keep the "house compliant/eat out whole30ish" mentality. I still have some goals I want to reach and I think I could turn this into a lifestyle!

I am going to continue doing the weekend food prep and sticking to Whole30 90-95% of the time. I will loosen up a little on the condiments I use, like sugar & non-compliant oils but I will still exclude most of the banned additives. I may have milk in my coffee occasionally when I feel like treating myself to a latte once in awhile. I will stay off coffee during the week and only drink it on the weekends. My husband still has weight to loose so I would like to keep this going as closely to the Whole30 as possible. Also, I feel so much better when I'm on the Whole30, it will just take some time to figure out a long-term plan. If I feel myself straying too much, I will go back to a strict Whole30 for as long as it takes to feel good again. That's my plan!

""It is now confirmed that I will be travelling on our last official day and will be away for over two weeks. It will be tricky, but thanks to the internet I can prepare, preplan and make it possible. The only problem are travel days - anyone tried to go through airport security with tupperware full of food? :)

Have a lovely day x""

Magdalina

I actually have a lot of experience traveling through security with food. AND in the UK. U ugh. They are buggers. In the U.S. You won't have any issues unless it swishes. No soup, green tea, cans of veggies in liquid, coconut milk, sauces...but unless the X-ray machine can't see through it, you should be fine. They are looking for masses that they can't identify. Salad and veggies aren't generally an issue UNLESS you are going international. Then no. NO veggies, meat, fruit, nuts...

I was going to say that as long as you are domestic you are probably good. However, you may actually not be and Heathrow is notoriously fussy. You could be at the whim of a cranky agent. We famously had a gun carrying federal agent go through and they took his TOOTHPASTES away!!!??!! Really!!??

I travel with packets of tuna and chicken but I put them on edge in my suitcase so the machine doesn't see the big squares. Picture your case laying flat on the belt and the machine looking down through it. I also carry a can opener and though I had it questioned once, I was able to talk my way through. I wouldn't advise that though. I was in uniform. Be prepared to just give them your stuff( I carry reused containers ) and head to the grocery upon arrival. It's not worth it. And be sure to have anything else out and in a clear Baggie. If they see hairspray, toothpaste, a corkscrew, AND silverware then you are asking for trouble. LHR may still not allow plastic silverware. I'm not sure. Sydney and London are a lot alike and I just lost a bunch of stuff there because I didn't know they were so strict still.

I hope you have a nice trip. This is totally do-able. It's just a bit of a pain. I'm in Hong Kong and headed back today. Then off to Denver on Monday, Chicago Tuesday and back to Hong Kong on Wednesday. I'm planning on staying on this until I go to Nepal for 2weejs in November to rebuild a school after the earthquake. All bets are off then.

Ciao.

Archived