Starting mon 21 September. Anybody in?

britgirl

Flygrrl it was your 100% comment. How wise you are!

Deeply impressed with your baking! I stand in awe! Are you actually superhuman??

I can bake but it's the cutting up that does me in......all the crumbs and squishy bits on the knife.......have avoided so far.

But had an epiphany today........had bought a cake for my mum (one I'd normally love) and she wasn't going to eat it in front of me but I assured her that I'd enjoy her enjoyment ( true) AND I'm really enjoying having no regrets about my food choices. So there is no feeling of deprevation, just the enjoyment of NOT eating something that doesn't support my health. Deep or what?

Yes deep indeed and thank you for the shout out.  I am trying to pull your wisdom into my bad mood and be happy that I am still at 100% compliant although I am seriously questioning WHY.

I am feeling definitely NOT superhuman today.  I am irritated and depressed and falling in line with next weeks timeline...WHY am I doing this?  Nothing to look forward to, nothing sounds good, bored bored bored with cooking (I live 20 miles from the closest grocery so when I am out or forget something, it is not convenient to just go grab it) and just plane mad at the world.  I cooked a nice chicken (blah) and my family will come home and go BLAH too.  

I have been diverting my attention from eating by staying busy but I too am exhausted all the time.  ALL THE TIME.  I cleaned and washed windows all day and would normally had my one glass of Friday night wine and a nice dinner as a reward...I know.  Find something else.  But what?  I hate TV and the movies are out for the smell of popcorn.  I didn't get my exercise in because I was too busy with my home tasks and maybe I just need to go walk before it gets dark.  

UUUUUHHHHHGGGGG.   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes deep indeed and thank you for the shout out.  I am trying to pull your wisdom into my bad mood and be happy that I am still at 100% compliant although I am seriously questioning WHY.

I am feeling definitely NOT superhuman today.  I am irritated and depressed and falling in line with next weeks timeline...WHY am I doing this?  Nothing to look forward to, nothing sounds good, bored bored bored with cooking (I live 20 miles from the closest grocery so when I am out or forget something, it is not convenient to just go grab it) and just plane mad at the world.  I cooked a nice chicken (blah) and my family will come home and go BLAH too.  

I have been diverting my attention from eating by staying busy but I too am exhausted all the time.  ALL THE TIME.  I cleaned and washed windows all day and would normally had my one glass of Friday night wine and a nice dinner as a reward...I know.  Find something else.  But what?  I hate TV and the movies are out for the smell of popcorn.  I didn't get my exercise in because I was too busy with my home tasks and maybe I just need to go walk before it gets dark.  

UUUUUHHHHHGGGGG.   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Hey Flygrrl really does sound like a bad day. You are clearly way ahead of yourself and hitting a day 21 "I am so over this" phase.

We'd be brilliant in combination as I'm about a week behind and Just Want To Sleep. When oh when does Tiger Blood kick in??

Hang in there sister.

There is a massive why - better health which is worth fighting for so take that walk and stomp off your grump, have a bubble bath and ( because it seems to be the answer to everything) eat some sweet potato. And enjoy your sparkly windows!

I really feel your chicken pain! Waitrose has a deal on chickens so I feel like I've roasted hundreds and have even started watching videos on dismembering them whole. Did it once. Not nice. But roasted, stripped chicken in Melissa's chicken hash got universal family thumbs up and was delicious, easy and fast. What's not to like?

Hope today's going better. We can so do this. These are apparently the hardest days - good to know.

Any one else got a sweet taste in their mouth??

Had it since yday but there again all day today. It's different from ketosis weird mouth which I've had when low carbing. Very like the taste of liqurish root tea.

Foolishly looked up on the internet and Cd be a sign of diabetes (which tiredness may also link to) but that would seem mighty unlikely /ironic/unluckygiven I've cut out sugar and grains.

Any ideas? Does seem like a wonky blood sugar thing maybe............

Hello Everyone on day #14,

Just checking in. I am happy to report that I am still Whole30-ing. My cold lasted only couple of days and I somehow managed to recover without any medication. Thanks for your support and great ideas.

Hump day tomorrow! As of Tuesday it's down the hill! Hurray.

Ladies, I feel you... the BLAH, the tiredness, the depression and the constant 'why on earth am I doing this'.  Now I am ok, eating whole30  style means I don't have dairy (I still had some greek yoghurt and kefir even when eating Paleo), an occasional glass of wine or couple of squares of dark chocolate. A bit uncomfrtable, but not a big deal. But let me tell you, six monts ago when I jumped onto Paleo journey cold turkey... dear God I suffered, but for the sake of my health I stuck with it and it got better. I gave up a lot, but I gained much more (SANITY). And even if you don't feel it yet, please trust me, it's so worth to hang on for a bit longer.

@britgirl - give it couple of days, most likely it will pass. In a meantime, stay away from google! :)

@allyson - checked your instagram, great photos.

I am taking photos as well just to have something to show to people when they say "Oh my God you must be depriveing yourself". In fact I feel like I don't eat, I dine! Plus I eat much more than I used to as I added breakfast which I've never eaten before. I wonder how is it going to affect my weight? Will  I be the first person who gained weight on the whole30? :)

BTW can we post images here?

Whole food is good, even my junk loving boyfriend who could drink a pint of barbecue sauce for breakfast enjoys it and of course he will never admit it but I noticed he is cutting down on beer and ice cream.

Oh, I almost forgot. In Britain you can buy Coconut yoghurt. Whole30 compliant prebiotic that tasts really good. (Unfortunately very expensive)  Jenni mayby you could try to find something like that to replace your yoghurt with.

Well, I better crack on and get the oven going, I am roasting leg of lamb for late lunch, chicken drumsticks, lovely piece of gammon and some veggies for the week. I already shopped and cooked my bolognese sauce yesterday so I am ready for whole30 week number three.

Anyone else tempted to keep going beyond day 30?

Have a lovely afternoon peeps!

Any one else got a sweet taste in their mouth??

Had it since yday but there again all day today. It's different from ketosis weird mouth which I've had when low carbing. Very like the taste of liqurish root tea.

Foolishly looked up on the internet and Cd be a sign of diabetes (which tiredness may also link to) but that would seem mighty unlikely /ironic/unluckygiven I've cut out sugar and grains.

Any ideas? Does seem like a wonky blood sugar thing maybe............

If this isn't a new thing then I'd definitely get it checked out with your GP.

If it's new since starting Whole30 I'd wonder if you're hydrated enough, and yep, including enough starchy carbs - the keto mouth can be either sweet or metallic...

Oh, I almost forgot. In Britain you can buy Coconut yoghurt. Whole30 compliant prebiotic that tasts really good. (Unfortunately very expensive)  Jenni mayby you could try to find something like that to replace your yoghurt with.

Compliant coconut yoghurt is fine for using in a marinade or sauce during your Whole30, but not for eating, say, with fruit/nuts.

So I didn't go out of town, but I did have some "away from home" experiences to navigate through. On Friday night, I went out to a beer and burger place with some friends. Had water while they all had beer {no big deal, sometimes I have a beer but a lot of the times I do not anyways} and watched while they ate burgers and fries.  We stayed long after everyone finished eating to continue talking so it didn't feel "weird," if that makes sense! Yesterday I went to a friend's birthday for her child, so of course there was a gorgeous cake. It was surprisingly easy to say no thanks! Before both events, I had a small template meal, which helped a lot, and ate a normal template meal when I got home. 

Magdalena ~ I am definitely tempted to keep on going past 30 days! I will evaluate closer to the end though. Right now I am just taking things day-by-day so I don't overwhelm myself LOL. But to be honest, butter and heavy cream are the only thing that I am interested in re-introducing -- no grains or gluten for me! 

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had my first food dream this go-around! It must have been the cake at the birthday party that triggered it because I dreamed I ate a bite of a mini cake and then I felt so disappointed afterwards. It's so funny because I am not much of a cake person anyways!

Hi Jmcbn,

Just a quick question. Why is it not ok to eat compliant yoghurt with fruit. Is it for the physiological or psychological reasons? I am really curious. Thanks

Firstly it would be very dessert-like, and secondly it doesn't meet the meal template of protein, veg & fat.

If you had this for breakfast for instance (as some might be inclined) you'd be eating fat & fruit, missing protein completely, and allowing fruit to push the veg off of your plate.

I totally agree that eating fruit with coconut yoghurt in response to "hmm I really would like something yummy" is not a good idea.

I also agree that eating fruit with coconut yoghurt as a meal or snack might be a recipie for a little disaster for some (me) but how about eating a heaped table spoon or two (some recipes would call for more) over my serving of berries (only fruit that I eat at the moment) with a template meal (breakfast)? I mean eat it to Get some bacteria cultures and not for the pleasure of eating. (Which doesn't change the fact it's very tasty) People put coconut milk in their coffees which seems to be an approved method of making it more bearable (I don't, I drink it black and that's fine) so I have to say I assumed (without checking to make sure) coconut yoghurt would be OK and I eat it in a way and for the reasons explained above. In my understanding if it doesn't interrupt "reset" - it's fine but I appreciate some may not agree.

Even when eating Paleo I made an exception and had kefir sometimes. In my case probiotics = happy tummy, no probiotics = trouble. Quality of sourkraut is questionable (and I am a girl who grew up on properly fermented sourkraut) so unless I can find a good one or actually make some myself (super inpractical) I don't eat it. I belief Kombucha would be the way forward, how about water kefir? To be honest not keen on either.

I am sorry for posting suggestion that wasn't very helpful and thanks a lot jmcbn for keeping an eye on us.

Happy downhill slide (hopefully). I'm day 15.

Had my closest call last night. That lady with the defiant attitude that lives within me that tells me I don't do peer pressure and I don't answer to anyone but myself and I do not care what anyone thinks....reared HER head in defiance last night. She was done. Tired. Exhausted. Soooo over it. She wanted a glass of wine after another a long marathon day and had the most perfect opportunity to do it.

It was a fight and the While30 me did most definitely NOT have the advantage in willpower nor circumstance.

But moment by moment I fought. Stalled. Diverted attention. It was horrible and painful. But I finally was able to just go to bed.

And I slept another 9.5 glorious hours.

So I'm still here. Gearing up for travel this week. Feeling much better to be over the hump and be gaining just a tad of energy back.

Ciao

Hello Everyone on day #

@britgirl - give it couple of days, most likely it will pass. In a meantime, stay away from google!

Anyone else tempted to keep going beyond day 30?

Have a lovely afternoon peeps!

Thanks Magdalena. You're right - every google health enquiry ends in death. :)

Glad your colds better.

Hope the magic starts soon. I'm still v joint achy and stiff. On my course yesterday (I'm a physio) I couldn't get off the floor without groaning. Was hoping all that might improve but not seen it yet. So may consider carrying on if see any hint that this will help. Thanks for the encouragement to keep the long view. I could so down a large latte! But I'd rather stay complient........so I won't and that's fine.

Have a good week.

I totally agree that eating fruit with coconut yoghurt in response to "hmm I really would like something yummy" is not a good idea.

I also agree that eating fruit with coconut yoghurt as a meal or snack might be a recipie for a little disaster for some (me) but how about eating a heaped table spoon or two (some recipes would call for more) over my serving of berries (only fruit that I eat at the moment) with a template meal (breakfast)? I mean eat it to Get some bacteria cultures and not for the pleasure of eating. (Which doesn't change the fact it's very tasty) People put coconut milk in their coffees which seems to be an approved method of making it more bearable (I don't, I drink it black and that's fine) so I have to say I assumed (without checking to make sure) coconut yoghurt would be OK and I eat it in a way and for the reasons explained above. In my understanding if it doesn't interrupt "reset" - it's fine but I appreciate some may not agree.

Even when eating Paleo I made an exception and had kefir sometimes. In my case probiotics = happy tummy, no probiotics = trouble. Quality of sourkraut is questionable (and I am a girl who grew up on properly fermented sourkraut) so unless I can find a good one or actually make some myself (super inpractical) I don't eat it. I belief Kombucha would be the way forward, how about water kefir? To be honest not keen on either.

I am sorry for posting suggestion that wasn't very helpful and thanks a lot jmcbn for keeping an eye on us.

I have to say I'm old school and shudder when I read about people eating fruit/berries with coconut milk as I think it's very much a treat, but I can see your point re the bacteria cultures, and so long as it's alongside a template meal then I suppose it wouldn't do any harm - the template is after all a recommendation, not a rule...

Hey, all! Monday check-in after a busy weekend. It's Day 15 for me, and I'm kinda ready for tiger blood to hit. :) I'm doing OK, but life has been very busy these past couple of weeks and I really need to catch up! The good thing is that I do feel like, if I can do W30 right now when life is semi-crazy, I can do it whenever with no excuses. 

So, Friday morning I packed up my cooler with 2 full days' worth of food. Like in all aspects of life, I overpacked. :) But I did it - 2 days on the road and at an arts festival - staying compliant without any major problems. Yay! Twice this week I went out to a restaurant and watched others eat while I drank club soda with lime. Both times I wasn't hungry so it was pretty easy, although I did feel somewhat conspicuous when my 9 year old nephew said I was "weird." It's one of his favorite adjectives, so I wasn't offended. :)

lainey - The festival turned out OK, but the weather was the pits this weekend! Good thing you canceled your trip. Being outside in the cold and drizzle was no fun. Also, I love the chocolate chili recipe. Way different from the chili I grew up with, but delicious. 

flygrrl - I know that defiant voice! I refer to her as my "inner 2 year old" who is always throwing tantrums when she doesn't get her way. And, like many, I give in to her too easily sometimes. But not this time!

britgirl and magdalena - I'm trying to keep a long view as well. I did my first W30 in January and it was great, but I didn't so much "reintro" as "dive headlong back  into bad good habits." In many respects this round has been harder, and because it's been harder I think I want to continue past 30 days until those cravings and emotional food responses really die down. I still shocked by how intense the link between food, emotions, and habit is! 

Have a great day, everyone!

"{u]flygrrl [/u]- I know that defiant voice! I refer to her as my "inner 2 year old" who is always throwing tantrums when she doesn't get her way. And, like many, I give in to her too easily sometimes. But not this time!""}

Yup that's me. Usually she keeps me OUT of trouble but not that time.

{""I think I want to continue past 30 days until those cravings and emotional food responses really die down. I still shocked by how intense the link between food, emotions, and habit is.""}

Here here!! I'm guessing that's what we are trying to learn. Funny how it just keeps smacking me right in the face.

"Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer!!"

Day 15!! All downhill from here... right? Looking forward to finishing my 30 days, but anxious about diving headfirst into bad habits. My sweet tooth isn't "cravings" but more, "I know Chocolate Chip Cookies are awesome and that would taste good". Looking forward to my tiger blood and to keep seeing no scale victories. This weekend I really noticed my mood has improved. Overall happier and having more fun.

Going home for a weekend so this week is "clean out the fridge", eating lots of turkey burgers and eggs. I want to try the "Buffalo Chicken Casserole" from PaleOMG, looks delish! Hoping to try it at home and let my parents taste my cooking.

Here is the recipe if anyone else is interested: http://paleomg.com/sneak-peek-recipe-from-juli-bauers-paleo-cookbook-buffalo-chicken-casserole/

Keep up the woodwork everyone! What are some no scale victories you have noticed?

Jen - Congrats on staying compliant when out of town!! That is an accomplishment in and of itself!! I'm sorry the weather didn't cooperate for you this weekend, but I'm glad y'all had fun at the festival.

allyson - Some NSV's for me so far is clearer skin and the ability to fall asleep SUPER fast! And same with the good mood .... even on a Monday:)

i am hanging in there as well. Went on a long drive today, and when nearing home my boyfriend saw I was kind of frazzled and asked if I would like to go eat at our fav Mexican restaurant. I said no way, and went home and had pot roast with carrots and potatoes. 

allyson - Thank you for passing that on!!! That looks awesome, and I'll make it this week! 

I think I might be edging in to tiger blood territory. We'll see! I will say that my skin is feeling clearer and my mood is better overall. 

Huge work project today . . . maybe I can take a walk and procrastinate a bit? :)

Have a good day everyone!

Hi people yep we are half way there whoop whoop!

Allyson I'm SURE Bruce was on a whole 30 at the time he wrote that.

I survived the weekend away with tins of fish and olives, fresh fruit and lots of salad. My mum was brilliant and had shopped for lots of stuff for me (almond cream full of carrageenan) and made apple sauce - " with a bit of sugar" but was very gracious when I said I couldn't have it sadly. I roasted a chicken there and made her the no mess fish cakes with a walnut and orange coleslaw which she loved.

Back at the ranch DD had eaten the complient food I'd left and her older sister was impressed with her sticking with it. So all good.

The sweet taste has gone, there's a vat of bolognese bubbling away in the slow cooker and I'm even getting used to black coffee. Only welled up once at 1 Direction ( my favourite song. V beautiful. I know I know just humour me!). Progress.

My mum said I looked much more shapely (but she is a great encourager and loves me lots......) but tried on a pair of usually too tight trousers and got them on without the button pinging. Just. Darling Husband has returned the scales to the bathroom in my absence so after a struggle not to step on this am I need to hide again. I really really don't want to be ruled by a number - have been far far too fixated on it in the past. But not quite ready for the sledgehammer video.........

Really appreciate you guys and the support.

WooHoo! only 2 weeks to go! My energy is increasing and I wake up easier in the morning, before the alarm went off. Skin is clear and I feel lighter and my mood has improved, a more positive attitude in general. Congratulations everyone for making it this far! :D

Happy downward slope to us!:) And yay for increasing energy kruddock! I can tell I'm not getting afternoon slump anymore, which is awesome.

I woke up early this morning with a nasty cold / sinus infection? Ughhhh. Trying to flush it out with a ton of water mixed with teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar, compliant tea, homemade chicken soup, and a nasal rinse. Unfortunately I cannot drink a lot of bone broth because the gelatin makes me extremely itchy. I remembered there was some suggestions posted earlier in the thread so went back to look over them. 

ATL Jen I may be with you on inching into tiger blood territory. I'm hesitant to even think it but I noticed it today's wearing through a power cleaning/organizing/ purging episode. Did not come a moment you soon.

Power on!!

Archived