Starting October 1 - Who's with me?

praxisproject

quick post   I made the W30 ranch dressing, great taste.  easy if you can get away with that and veg for an appetizer.  I needed a non-meat appetizer. 

and Friday I am going to try a gingerbread spice flavored almond butter  ( maybe thinned a bit) with sliced apples for a more dessert type event I'm going to.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CMWerner -- I'm telling you, those apples 'n' almond butter can taste like a fine french pastry when you're THAT hungry. Thanks so much for sharing recipe links and ideas. Someone else's go-to stuff is new to me, so that's always great.

re appetizers: I think the meatballs sound like a great idea. Also, if you're bringing stuff so that you have something to eat -- think about what YOU might actually want to eat there! Do you want protein, veg, a little bit of everything? Whole-30 compliant prosciutto wrapped around ripe pear slices might be nice (more seasonal right now than melon, although I don't know what part of the world you're in).

I just made an AMAZING dressing/dip that tastes better than ranch dressing, I think. I had made a jar of scallion/lemon/garlic/herb vinaigrette which is always my standard dressing whether I'm on a whole30 or not. I combined some of it in another jar with homemade mayonnaise and a splash or two of coconut milk -- heaven! I could totally see it as a dip for a crunchy raw veg platter.

Burgards, both of those soups really hit the spot. The ribollita one didn't have as much protein in it, since the meat was just a few ounces of pancetta, but it was SO filling that my husband and I didn't want anything else for lunch. And it was filling in that good way, that leaves you feeling light and springy, not heavy and weighed down. Yum. We didn't even want the apples and almond butter that we often have with lunch...

Woohoo, Day 24 JenHZ and Jeweliana!  

My boyfriend keeps asking when I am done with this (but he has been a good sport) and I really think I'm going to try and stick to it as much as possible, even after Day 30. That being said, red wine is calling my name and I will answer Day 31!  

Just to share some food ideas that I have absolutely loved:

Roasting a whole chicken in the crockpot has been awesome.  I use this recipe and have even made my own broth from it. I freeze some so as to use it later. Seriously, amazing.  http://kateolynch.com/home/spicy-crockpot-whole-chicken/ 

I usually shred it and make chicken salad with the homemade mayo and it gets rave reviews.  I put it in cucumber 'boats' (I cut a cucumber in half, then half those and remove the seeds = boat!) and have 3 for lunch and they are so great.  Great for tuna salad as well.  

Also, grilled carrots--who would have thought?  So good

Roasting sliced zucchini & squash with a fresh sprig of rosemary, wrapped in foil with some lemon & olive oil = amazingness,  Never knew how much of a difference the fresh stuff made when compared to dried seasonings.  

Probably my favorite breakfast has been "eggs in a nest"--different, but good!!!  http://www.ourpaleolife.com/recipe/eggs-nest/

I've made these chicken tenders (minus the sauce) a few times--great on a salad or alone http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2013/04/15/easy-baked-paleo-chicken-tenders-with-honey-mustard-dipping-sauce/

This blackened chicken is a staple for me: http://www.happilyunprocessed.com/2014/09/24/blackened-chicken/

These meatballs are GREAT, especially in some sauce over the spaghetti squash (I use the recipe in the Whole30 book) http://sleeploveeat.com/2010/03/15/mammas-meatballs-and-marinara-sauce/

Can you tell I Pinterest a lot? It's been amazing for new ideas for Whole30

I should admit...I am mildly obsessed with apples and almond butter.  So stinkin good.

How funny! I'm a baker too. I'm also being strict with guidelines regarding no "paleo-fied" baked goods during Whole30, but I will confess that I've been thinking about a couple of things that I used to make a couple of years ago, after I had completed my first Whole30 (in May of 2013) and was still eating much more closely within the template. [WARNING -- post Whole=30 food mentions ahead] I paleo-hacked a flourless chocolate cake and some almond-butter chocolate chip cookies, and they were pretty damn delicious, IIDSSM. I was very controlled about how I consumed them, and also shared them with lots of non-paleo folks, who thought they were great (and didn't perceive them as "diet" or "paleo" foods). So I too am looking forward to a bit of a treat here and there once we're past both Whole30 and re-introduction. With Thanksgiving coming up, I'm definitely giving some of those foods careful thought. The one thing I think I can't get around is stuffing -- I have a traditional family recipe that I always make which my husband absolutely adores. But it's less bready than most, relying a lot on chopped onions, celery, apples and sausage, so maybe I'll hack it even a bit more in the direction of paleo-fication as well.

DAY 29 WOO HOO!!!

Energy level is high!! my husb cheated and got on scale, lost 10 lbs. wants to continue even after 30 days, We can do this 90% of the time!

one of my goals was to figure out if it was something I was eating that may my stomach look so bloated, evidently it was because it's down a lot, even as I continue with my exercise plan there's a big difference!! Even more so than exercising and ab workouts have done. So I'm definitely on board with continuing this lifestyle change. Even before W30 I was mostly eating veg and protein, not much bread except on occasion or on weekend. Only dairy I would eat was mostly on weekend with cheese in eggs and cream in coffee. very interesting

Jeweliana, I would love the almond butter choc chip cookie recipe (homemade choc chip are my favorite)

I have been drinking black coffee which I always said I would NEVER do!!! but I am looking forward to it with cream and sugar. probably not as much as I used to.

2 more days!! STAY THE COURSE EVERYONE!!  IT'S WORTH IT!! :D

Woohoo, Day 24 JenHZ and Jeweliana!  

My boyfriend keeps asking when I am done with this (but he has been a good sport) and I really think I'm going to try and stick to it as much as possible, even after Day 30. That being said, red wine is calling my name and I will answer Day 31!  

Just to share some food ideas that I have absolutely loved:

Roasting a whole chicken in the crockpot has been awesome.  I use this recipe and have even made my own broth from it. I freeze some so as to use it later. Seriously, amazing.  http://kateolynch.com/home/spicy-crockpot-whole-chicken/ 

I usually shred it and make chicken salad with the homemade mayo and it gets rave reviews.  I put it in cucumber 'boats' (I cut a cucumber in half, then half those and remove the seeds = boat!) and have 3 for lunch and they are so great.  Great for tuna salad as well.  

Also, grilled carrots--who would have thought?  So good

Roasting sliced zucchini & squash with a fresh sprig of rosemary, wrapped in foil with some lemon & olive oil = amazingness,  Never knew how much of a difference the fresh stuff made when compared to dried seasonings.  

Probably my favorite breakfast has been "eggs in a nest"--different, but good!!!  http://www.ourpaleolife.com/recipe/eggs-nest/

I've made these chicken tenders (minus the sauce) a few times--great on a salad or alone http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2013/04/15/easy-baked-paleo-chicken-tenders-with-honey-mustard-dipping-sauce/

This blackened chicken is a staple for me: http://www.happilyunprocessed.com/2014/09/24/blackened-chicken/

These meatballs are GREAT, especially in some sauce over the spaghetti squash (I use the recipe in the Whole30 book) http://sleeploveeat.com/2010/03/15/mammas-meatballs-and-marinara-sauce/

Can you tell I Pinterest a lot? It's been amazing for new ideas for Whole30

I should admit...I am mildly obsessed with apples and almond butter.  So stinkin good.

You deserve a glass of wine if you really want it! I am interested to hear if it is still as great now, after the time away.  :)  I don't drink often, but the occasional craft cocktail has been a joy. I wonder if I will still think so -- Probably  ;-)

DAY 29 WOO HOO!!!

Energy level is high!! my husb cheated and got on scale, lost 10 lbs. wants to continue even after 30 days, We can do this 90% of the time!

one of my goals was to figure out if it was something I was eating that may my stomach look so bloated, evidently it was because it's down a lot, even as I continue with my exercise plan there's a big difference!! Even more so than exercising and ab workouts have done. So I'm definitely on board with continuing this lifestyle change. Even before W30 I was mostly eating veg and protein, not much bread except on occasion or on weekend. Only dairy I would eat was mostly on weekend with cheese in eggs and cream in coffee. very interesting

Jeweliana, I would love the almond butter choc chip cookie recipe (homemade choc chip are my favorite)

I have been drinking black coffee which I always said I would NEVER do!!! but I am looking forward to it with cream and sugar. probably not as much as I used to.

2 more days!! STAY THE COURSE EVERYONE!!  IT'S WORTH IT!! :D

agree with you CAT5. I can't imagine going fully back to the mess that was my eating, the hungries, and my messed up relationship with food. The body changes have been very noticeable, but the mental ones have been a revelation. I feel in control & deliberate - I can enjoy my choices. That is simply life changing.

Going to a conference Monday and already stalking my first steak since age 13. I'm going to stay mainly compliant but try something new in a fancy place  :)

CMWerner -- I'm telling you, those apples 'n' almond butter can taste like a fine french pastry when you're THAT hungry. Thanks so much for sharing recipe links and ideas. Someone else's go-to stuff is new to me, so that's always great.

re appetizers: I think the meatballs sound like a great idea. Also, if you're bringing stuff so that you have something to eat -- think about what YOU might actually want to eat there! Do you want protein, veg, a little bit of everything? Whole-30 compliant prosciutto wrapped around ripe pear slices might be nice (more seasonal right now than melon, although I don't know what part of the world you're in).

I just made an AMAZING dressing/dip that tastes better than ranch dressing, I think. I had made a jar of scallion/lemon/garlic/herb vinaigrette which is always my standard dressing whether I'm on a whole30 or not. I combined some of it in another jar with homemade mayonnaise and a splash or two of coconut milk -- heaven! I could totally see it as a dip for a crunchy raw veg platter.

Burgards, both of those soups really hit the spot. The ribollita one didn't have as much protein in it, since the meat was just a few ounces of pancetta, but it was SO filling that my husband and I didn't want anything else for lunch. And it was filling in that good way, that leaves you feeling light and springy, not heavy and weighed down. Yum. We didn't even want the apples and almond butter that we often have with lunch...

Oh and on recipes -

my greatest faves have been found on nom nom, stupid easy paleo, and popular paleo. Not very original, but these sites have given me great stuff that has been basically bombproof and delightful. Just running out of some of last weekend's bounty, looking forward to my cookup this weekend. I am going to do reintros starting next week, but there are very few things I need to test or want to bring back in on a regular basis. CROSS YOUR FINGERS PEANUTS MAKE IT... or perhaps better that the don't! I have a hard time with self control around peanut butter. And who knows, maybe it won't seem all that anymore  :)

Hello My Oct Whole 30 buddies, glad to see those of you who have stuck it out and it sounds like you are doing great. Just wanted to say hello and let you all know I am recovering from surgery, getting stronger everyday, and will find out the pathology reports later today to determine the next step in my treatment. I can't thank those of you who wished me well or gave me words of encouragement enough. Sometimes the words from "virtual" friends were exactly what I needed to hear. 

Wishing you continued success on your Whole 30 Journey, and look forward to doing another strict whole 30 soon!!

xoxo 

Hello My Oct Whole 30 buddies, glad to see those of you who have stuck it out and it sounds like you are doing great. Just wanted to say hello and let you all know I am recovering from surgery, getting stronger everyday, and will find out the pathology reports later today to determine the next step in my treatment. I can't thank those of you who wished me well or gave me words of encouragement enough. Sometimes the words from "virtual" friends were exactly what I needed to hear. 

Wishing you continued success on your Whole 30 Journey, and look forward to doing another strict whole 30 soon!!

xoxo

Susabella, big love to you! You're such a hero to check in with us and wish us well during this time of challenge for you. I walked in the Making Strides walk on October 18th here in NYC, walking for myself as a survivor -- and thinking about you and some other friends. I just saw my own oncologist this morning for my 6 month check-up (yes, even after 7 years), and we talked about the fact that we really are living in a time of miracles, when there are so many better treatment options and such a high cure rate. All good energy and spirited recovery vibes going your way!

xoxo

Julie

Sending good thoughts of healing to all who need them.

burgards I thought a month of no sugar and chocolate would be hard.  I certainly think I will eat the occasional piece of  dark chocolate in the future.  But what I really wanted was wine to cook with and a drink about once a week.  I'd have a good dish but knew it would be even better with the appropriate alcoholic beverage.  I love beer but we have great no sugar added hard ciders and they are a very good alternative with no gluten.

CATS  good for you, hope the things you like agree with you

thanks to all for the recipe links too.  I am mostly cooking from my cookbooks as I am a cookbook collector.  Just got a pamphlet from WWII in case I want to try some variety meats but really just for the human interest side of things.

oh and I finally had a food dream , dreamt I absentmindedly ate a cookie my kid handed to me. Day 25

everyone have strategies for Halloween?

min it fizzy water and a couple lara bars as backup.  going to a friend's house for dinner - will take my own pasta sub. she's GF and knows what I'm doing so she won't mind.

Sending good thoughts of healing to all who need them.

burgards I thought a month of no sugar and chocolate would be hard.  I certainly think I will eat the occasional piece of  dark chocolate in the future.  But what I really wanted was wine to cook with and a drink about once a week.  I'd have a good dish but knew it would be even better with the appropriate alcoholic beverage.  I love beer but we have great no sugar added hard ciders and they are a very good alternative with no gluten.

CATS  good for you, hope the things you like agree with you

thanks to all for the recipe links too.  I am mostly cooking from my cookbooks as I am a cookbook collector.  Just got a pamphlet from WWII in case I want to try some variety meats but really just for the human interest side of things.

oh and I finally had a food dream , dreamt I absentmindedly ate a cookie my kid handed to me. Day 25

everyone have strategies for Halloween?

min it fizzy water and a couple lara bars as backup.  going to a friend's house for dinner - will take my own pasta sub. she's GF and knows what I'm doing so she won't mind.

Jen HZ, I'm "feeling you" (as we say in NYC, don't know if it's a colloquialism anywhere else) about the wine. Unexpected for me too, and the fact is, although we rarely drink, there's really no substitute for an occasional craft cocktail (I hear you, too, burgards!) or a good glass of wine or champagne with friends, especially when you're feeling a bit festive. And in cooking -- NO substitute for wine, honestly. I made my faux version of Tuscan-style ribollita soup, and in some ways, it wasn't skipping out on the bread (it's actually known for being a "bread soup")and the beans that I most missed in the soup, but it was the flavor elements that for me were slightly lacking -- several glugs of a good red wine, and cooking it with the rinds of parmesan cheese. Nothing really subs in for the flavor of wine. I put in a bit of verjus, some organic unsweetened concord grape juice and a splash of good vinegar. The soup is absolutely delicious and we're loving it for itself -- but of course it doesn't have the same flavor as when I use the wine. I'm looking forward to that, and I know some of the paleo-style cooks I admire the most (Melissa Joulwan of Well Fed, for example) apparently uses wine sometimes in cooking when she's not on a Whole-30, even though she follows a pretty strict Whole-30-ish template most of the time -- in the same way that she and a lot of other Paleo cooks use the occasional spoonful of honey or maple syrup or bit of coconut sugar. I plan to do the same -- I was reading the "Ask Melissa" column (questions answered by Melissa Hartwig) here on this forum, and she talks about her own diet -- how she uses regular ketchup and whole butter instead of ghee, heavy cream in her coffee on an ongoing basis, loves the occasional bowl of popcorn maybe once a week, glass of prosecco maybe once a month, etc. Here's the link to part 2 in a 3-part series: http://whole30.com/2014/05/dear-melissa-eat-part-2/

So I'm thinking about re-introduction, and what my eating might look like after Whole 30. The benefits have been really notable for me, and I'm a bit nervous about messing with them, since I'm feeling pretty good (allergy attacks/response to allergens like cat hair, pollens etc. is WAY down; stomach/digestion feels like it's really regulating well now, after 25 days; sleep is good, alertness and focus is good, aches and pains way down, bruising way down, etc.) and I've definitely lost a few pounds, which is all I really wanted anyway (I'm petite and my weight hovers between 125 and 135, but 125 is definitely fitter, leaner and more attractive on me, to be honest).

I want to try sheep and goat dairy, in the hope that I tolerate it well, because I'd like some more frequent cheese/yogurt in my life, saving cows' milk stuff as the occasional treat if I don't tolerate it well, which I'm pretty sure I don't). I'm hoping that rice and corn are in, at least to have occasionally (lots of folks eat some occasional white rice or corn tortillas, including Melissa Hartwig). I'm pretty sure that wheat and gluten are not my friends, which is a bit sad for a baker to come to terms with -- but at this poin, I can just imagine what a treat a little smear of goat or sheep cheese on a rice cracker would be! And I'd like to feel that I could allow this into my life with a nice big whole-30 bowl of one of my veggie/meat-centric soups, for example. I'm not as worried about sugars for use with serious moderation, since it's not so much sugar itself that I think is bad for me, but the quantities in which I eat it (needing "a little treat" several times a day; not being able to pass a bakery without going in to get "a little something"). I'm definitely looking forward to having the occasional piece of dark chocolate back in my life; oh, chocolate, I confess. I've missed you so -- but like Jen, it hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be, especially considering what my first Whole30 was like -- I hit the larabars big time on that one, which I've hardly done at all this time.

Susabella, big love to you! You're such a hero to check in with us and wish us well during this time of challenge for you. I walked in the Making Strides walk on October 18th here in NYC, walking for myself as a survivor -- and thinking about you and some other friends. I just saw my own oncologist this morning for my 6 month check-up (yes, even after 7 years), and we talked about the fact that we really are living in a time of miracles, when there are so many better treatment options and such a high cure rate. All good energy and spirited recovery vibes going your way!

xoxo

Julie

I think of you often too, Susabella. You've been such an inspiration to me this month during the minor inconveniences. I have the blessings of the time, money, and health and uncomplicated life right now to be able to focus on changing the way I eat. Seeing the clear and generous feelings from others on this thread has been incredibly helpful too. Knowing that there's a whole community of people sharing in a goal - it is honestly humbling. If you decide to start a strict whole30 and want support, I'm here. I will probably be ready to do another one then anyway.

we are thinking of you and hoping with you.

Jen HZ, I'm "feeling you" (as we say in NYC, don't know if it's a colloquialism anywhere else) about the wine. Unexpected for me too, and the fact is, although we rarely drink, there's really no substitute for an occasional craft cocktail (I hear you, too, burgards!) or a good glass of wine or champagne with friends, especially when you're feeling a bit festive. And in cooking -- NO substitute for wine, honestly. I made my faux version of Tuscan-style ribollita soup, and in some ways, it wasn't skipping out on the bread (it's actually known for being a "bread soup")and the beans that I most missed in the soup, but it was the flavor elements that for me were slightly lacking -- several glugs of a good red wine, and cooking it with the rinds of parmesan cheese. Nothing really subs in for the flavor of wine. I put in a bit of verjus, some organic unsweetened concord grape juice and a splash of good vinegar. The soup is absolutely delicious and we're loving it for itself -- but of course it doesn't have the same flavor as when I use the wine. I'm looking forward to that, and I know some of the paleo-style cooks I admire the most (Melissa Joulwan of Well Fed, for example) apparently uses wine sometimes in cooking when she's not on a Whole-30, even though she follows a pretty strict Whole-30-ish template most of the time -- in the same way that she and a lot of other Paleo cooks use the occasional spoonful of honey or maple syrup or bit of coconut sugar. I plan to do the same -- I was reading the "Ask Melissa" column (questions answered by Melissa Hartwig) here on this forum, and she talks about her own diet -- how she uses regular ketchup and whole butter instead of ghee, heavy cream in her coffee on an ongoing basis, loves the occasional bowl of popcorn maybe once a week, glass of prosecco maybe once a month, etc. Here's the link to part 2 in a 3-part series: http://whole30.com/2014/05/dear-melissa-eat-part-2/

So I'm thinking about re-introduction, and what my eating might look like after Whole 30. The benefits have been really notable for me, and I'm a bit nervous about messing with them, since I'm feeling pretty good (allergy attacks/response to allergens like cat hair, pollens etc. is WAY down; stomach/digestion feels like it's really regulating well now, after 25 days; sleep is good, alertness and focus is good, aches and pains way down, bruising way down, etc.) and I've definitely lost a few pounds, which is all I really wanted anyway (I'm petite and my weight hovers between 125 and 135, but 125 is definitely fitter, leaner and more attractive on me, to be honest).

I want to try sheep and goat dairy, in the hope that I tolerate it well, because I'd like some more frequent cheese/yogurt in my life, saving cows' milk stuff as the occasional treat if I don't tolerate it well, which I'm pretty sure I don't). I'm hoping that rice and corn are in, at least to have occasionally (lots of folks eat some occasional white rice or corn tortillas, including Melissa Hartwig). I'm pretty sure that wheat and gluten are not my friends, which is a bit sad for a baker to come to terms with -- but at this poin, I can just imagine what a treat a little smear of goat or sheep cheese on a rice cracker would be! And I'd like to feel that I could allow this into my life with a nice big whole-30 bowl of one of my veggie/meat-centric soups, for example. I'm not as worried about sugars for use with serious moderation, since it's not so much sugar itself that I think is bad for me, but the quantities in which I eat it (needing "a little treat" several times a day; not being able to pass a bakery without going in to get "a little something"). I'm definitely looking forward to having the occasional piece of dark chocolate back in my life; oh, chocolate, I confess. I've missed you so -- but like Jen, it hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be, especially considering what my first Whole30 was like -- I hit the larabars big time on that one, which I've hardly done at all this time.

Jeweliana and others, 

it's so gratifying to hear what you've learned. My last official day of this whole30 is tomorrow, but I don't feel panicked or confused. I will very slowly bring a few things back but I am grateful to hear from you and others more validation that there is no reason to change what's working. And working really, really well - I can't BELIEVE how much more productive I have been in the last couple of weeks. The steadiness of energy all day and into the night is astounding. My ability to roll with it is incredible - I feel like it's a superpower when I cruise amongst the the emotional oscillations of my colleagues. 

have big cooking plans this weekend with poultry. Will report back later. 

Giving out candy to the littles tomorrow, our neighborhood gets a horde. Luckily that stuff was not my downfall, but I will be roasting delicious chickens anyway to remind me of what I really want to eat...

Yesterday, day 26 was difficult because several unexpected things came up.  My kid's Avi-Q ephedrine injector was recalled and had to do a lot of scrambling to get it replaced with epi pens.  

hope all with real food allergies can stay safe.

also had to get new tires. very glad I had some stuff cooked ahead to fall back on.  We are considering getting a chest freezer as we keep getting the fridge freezer very full.

burgards are you going to post about your reintro here or anywhere?  I'd be very interested to hear how it goes.

jewleliana those are helpful reintro thoughts.

I do want to reintro everything.  There really isn't anything I would never eat.  With my kid's food allergy to mustard we have to be prepared to be very flexible with any safe foods.  I make her practice eating plain white rice, baked potatoes and French fries, none of which she likes, because sometimes there is Nothing else safe on a menu.  Of course if it is just our family we wouldn't eat there but there are larger groups she really needs to dine with for social skills.

have a W30 Happy Halloween!

Jeweliana and others, 

it's so gratifying to hear what you've learned. My last official day of this whole30 is tomorrow, but I don't feel panicked or confused. I will very slowly bring a few things back but I am grateful to hear from you and others more validation that there is no reason to change what's working. And working really, really well - I can't BELIEVE how much more productive I have been in the last couple of weeks. The steadiness of energy all day and into the night is astounding. My ability to roll with it is incredible - I feel like it's a superpower when I cruise amongst the the emotional oscillations of my colleagues. 

have big cooking plans this weekend with poultry. Will report back later. 

Giving out candy to the littles tomorrow, our neighborhood gets a horde. Luckily that stuff was not my downfall, but I will be roasting delicious chickens anyway to remind me of what I really want to eat...

Burgards! Whoo-HOO! Last day...I know you're getting ready for a good re-entry into "civilian life," taking with you these new good habits as you re-integrate foods slowly, holding on to all the energy and good things you've gained from this. ME TOO. Let us know how your yummy roast chicken plans have been going...

I'm looking at a bit of a challenge, as I'm traveling out of town for work to a completely unknown place -- St. Louis, MO -- for the last days of my Whole30. I feel confident that I know what choices to make. I won't be coming home until Day 32 -- Thursday -- so I'm thinking that I'm just going to keep going with Whole30 eating and not try any re-introduction moves until I'm back on home ground, and can both re-introduce foods slowly and have the good and safe quality of my own Whole30 food to move back to in the intervals between the re-introductions.

Just got invited to a Halloween drinks party tonight -- my husband can't go, he's working -- so I have to figure out if I want to go and have a glass of sparkling water, or just stay home, away from temptations. Not like anything could break my resolve this close to the finish line, and feeling as good as I am. I had kick-ass dance classes last night and this morning -- energy, focus and balance all through the roof!

In Manhattan, kids don't really go door-to-door for trick or treating, at least not in our neighborhood. They go more to stores and businesses. So I'm VERY happy not to have any excuse to have junky candy around the house. Phew! I'm planning a chicken dinner too -- crunchy baked chicken tenders of some sort or other, and zucchini noodles with fresh sauteed tomato, scallion, garlic melted into a sauce.

Hope everyone's having an awesome weekend.

Hi Oct.1 group

Woo Hoo we did it strictly! Loss 10 lbs Couldnt wait to have my coffee this morning! So good I use sugar free creamer anyway Intro I also had cheese in eggs :) few Lil choc candy I know I'm not doing reintroduction right :) I feel great with lots of energy like Brugards and jeweliana said !,SUSABELLA I continue to keep you in my prayers How special you are to be thinking of us as you are going through I will continue with w30 lifestyle Thanks for all you guys input, ideas, laughter

Yesterday, day 26 was difficult because several unexpected things came up.  My kid's Avi-Q ephedrine injector was recalled and had to do a lot of scrambling to get it replaced with epi pens.  

hope all with real food allergies can stay safe.

also had to get new tires. very glad I had some stuff cooked ahead to fall back on.  We are considering getting a chest freezer as we keep getting the fridge freezer very full.

burgards are you going to post about your reintro here or anywhere?  I'd be very interested to hear how it goes.

jewleliana those are helpful reintro thoughts.

I do want to reintro everything.  There really isn't anything I would never eat.  With my kid's food allergy to mustard we have to be prepared to be very flexible with any safe foods.  I make her practice eating plain white rice, baked potatoes and French fries, none of which she likes, because sometimes there is Nothing else safe on a menu.  Of course if it is just our family we wouldn't eat there but there are larger groups she really needs to dine with for social skills.

have a W30 Happy Halloween!

Dear JenHZ, what a nightmare day. I am thinking of you and your kiddo - I have an epi pen too, should check bc I haven't replaced in awhile. She's lucky to have you helping her prepare, but it must be so stressful to worry about that in addition to the other natural parenting stuff. You have a great game plan going forward with the chest freezer. My parents have two of them (!) and now I am getting a bit jealous about that.

I will definitely bore you all with TMI about reintros. Really looking forward to weights and measures tomorrow. I am a shallow shallow person  :)  But I just want to know. It doesn't really matter. I went for an amazing jog today, one I do all the time but it was the first time in at least a year that I really enjoyed it. I didn't feel ashamed or self conscious. Things have shifted a little and I am a little lighter so it was all around awesome, plus halloween decorations...

Burgards! Whoo-HOO! Last day...I know you're getting ready for a good re-entry into "civilian life," taking with you these new good habits as you re-integrate foods slowly, holding on to all the energy and good things you've gained from this. ME TOO. Let us know how your yummy roast chicken plans have been going...

I'm looking at a bit of a challenge, as I'm traveling out of town for work to a completely unknown place -- St. Louis, MO -- for the last days of my Whole30. I feel confident that I know what choices to make. I won't be coming home until Day 32 -- Thursday -- so I'm thinking that I'm just going to keep going with Whole30 eating and not try any re-introduction moves until I'm back on home ground, and can both re-introduce foods slowly and have the good and safe quality of my own Whole30 food to move back to in the intervals between the re-introductions.

Just got invited to a Halloween drinks party tonight -- my husband can't go, he's working -- so I have to figure out if I want to go and have a glass of sparkling water, or just stay home, away from temptations. Not like anything could break my resolve this close to the finish line, and feeling as good as I am. I had kick-ass dance classes last night and this morning -- energy, focus and balance all through the roof!

In Manhattan, kids don't really go door-to-door for trick or treating, at least not in our neighborhood. They go more to stores and businesses. So I'm VERY happy not to have any excuse to have junky candy around the house. Phew! I'm planning a chicken dinner too -- crunchy baked chicken tenders of some sort or other, and zucchini noodles with fresh sauteed tomato, scallion, garlic melted into a sauce.

Hope everyone's having an awesome weekend.

Good luck on the halloween drinks party, Jewelania, I hear you completely on the lack of worries of any real sort about falling off the wagon now. We are so close to goal! and it is so rewarding to stay on track! I will be traveling too early next week, so I am going to stay on plan almost completely and just really be pokey through reintros when I am back on home turf. Looking forward to a fabulous (compliant) meal Monday night somewhere awesome in Chicago.

Okay so poultry report: made this doro wat midday, ahhhhh-mazing - and right now I am making very rich whipped cauliflower, roasted baby portabellas, and this finest of roasted chicken recipes that I am going to devour with gusto after the trick or treaters are home in their beds in sugary comas.

I bought a lot of candy. The tiny bags of miniature gummy bears are just so adorable. It all smells good and artificial and I just don't want it. WINNING.

Hi Oct.1 group

Woo Hoo we did it strictly! Loss 10 lbs Couldnt wait to have my coffee this morning! So good I use sugar free creamer anyway Intro I also had cheese in eggs :) few Lil choc candy I know I'm not doing reintroduction right :) I feel great with lots of energy like Brugards and jeweliana said !,SUSABELLA I continue to keep you in my prayers How special you are to be thinking of us as you are going through I will continue with w30 lifestyle Thanks for all you guys input, ideas, laughter

Hello CAT5 and oct 1 darlings. 

Way to go team!! TEN POUNDS - that's incredible! I will post my numbers and NSVs tomorrow. I am very enthused to continue on and to spread the good word. And to be virtually pulling for Susabella.

Dear Oct 1 lovelies,

I just finished my 30 days yesterday, and here's a brief report. Bottom line? Life changing. Basic plan now? No need to change virtually anything. I've been completely converted and my relationship with food is better than it has every been.

So, of course, being the shallow human that I am, I weighed and measured. I lost about 4 pounds. I will fully admit that I was initially quite surprised and, yes, disappointed with that number. It's not even 5! I wanted to lose "at least 5 pounds" in my head. However, I was already in a pretty healthy place - vegetarian, little added sugar, and pretty vigorous time in the gym (I am really into heavy weightlifting and I also run (pretty slowly)) at least 5 days a week. Nonetheless, I also lost an inch off my waist and hips, and half an inch off thighs and around the bust. More importantly, my clothes FIT. I am slowly working my way back into my skinnier pants. I feel like I am really just getting going on this after a few weeks into the program. I guess this is why the scale number surprised me. I feel and look so much better and my clothes fit so much better I just assumed it was more. But also, who cares what the scale is saying if the other stuff is true? And it's still *a pound a week* - while eating much more in quantity and 1000x more satisfying food than before. So really, that I didn't *gain* weight is kind of amazing. All in all, quantitative findings get a generally positive rating. I think I'll weigh myself and measure once a month from here on out. I like to know, but I don't need the second guessing when the data don't all perfectly align. I am feeling so freed, not to be that worried about the number. In past I would have been a bit crushed.

More important though are the qualitative differences. 

First and most amazing: I.Have.Never.Been.So.Productive.At.Work. 

Energy, steady, reliable, from the time I get out of bed until the time I return there. Emotional and energy roller coaster - basically gone, though this month hasn't been particularly challenging. I look forward to road testing in more challenging times! I am getting things done, and moving on, and rediscovering a love for my work, my collaborators. New: I am looking toward the future and thinking with interest about what I want to do next with my research agenda (I'm a professor at a research intensive university), not just putting out fires (though I am doing the latter more efficiently and successfully too). I feel like a different person, psychologically. My #1 goal when I started was to feel like I was in control of my life, making deliberate decisions. I don't know how changing my eating did that to so many areas of my life, but it has, though all kinds of interesting spillovers and sense of self efficacy.

I am going to slowly reintroduce a few foods when I need to, slowly and deliberately, just to see how they affect me. At this point there isn't anything I am dying to bring back regularly, but will be nice to know what a gorgeous croissant is going to do to me before I come upon one on some perfect special occasion Sunday morning. At this point, I feel sure I'll do a strict W30 again. It's a relief to know it's there, but even more of a relief to be in a position to want to change basically nothing, just not have to be as paranoid about whether there is a small amount of sugar in the ketchup on the rare occasion when I might have a french fry while I am not "on program." I have never felt like this after a "diet" and that is why I could never imagine succeeding without an end horizon. I can now. I can see it. And I can do it.

I am so grateful to this program, the creators, the cheerleaders, the participants. We can do this. And if you need help, please reach out.

Best Sunday to you all!

Dear Oct 1 lovelies,

I just finished my 30 days yesterday, and here's a brief report. Bottom line? Life changing. Basic plan now? No need to change virtually anything. I've been completely converted and my relationship with food is better than it has every been.

So, of course, being the shallow human that I am, I weighed and measured. I lost about 4 pounds. I will fully admit that I was initially quite surprised and, yes, disappointed with that number. It's not even 5! I wanted to lose "at least 5 pounds" in my head. However, I was already in a pretty healthy place - vegetarian, little added sugar, and pretty vigorous time in the gym (I am really into heavy weightlifting and I also run (pretty slowly)) at least 5 days a week. Nonetheless, I also lost an inch off my waist and hips, and half an inch off thighs and around the bust. More importantly, my clothes FIT. I am slowly working my way back into my skinnier pants. I feel like I am really just getting going on this after a few weeks into the program. I guess this is why the scale number surprised me. I feel and look so much better and my clothes fit so much better I just assumed it was more. But also, who cares what the scale is saying if the other stuff is true? And it's still *a pound a week* - while eating much more in quantity and 1000x more satisfying food than before. So really, that I didn't *gain* weight is kind of amazing. All in all, quantitative findings get a generally positive rating. I think I'll weigh myself and measure once a month from here on out. I like to know, but I don't need the second guessing when the data don't all perfectly align. I am feeling so freed, not to be that worried about the number. In past I would have been a bit crushed.

More important though are the qualitative differences. 

First and most amazing: I.Have.Never.Been.So.Productive.At.Work. 

Energy, steady, reliable, from the time I get out of bed until the time I return there. Emotional and energy roller coaster - basically gone, though this month hasn't been particularly challenging. I look forward to road testing in more challenging times! I am getting things done, and moving on, and rediscovering a love for my work, my collaborators. New: I am looking toward the future and thinking with interest about what I want to do next with my research agenda (I'm a professor at a research intensive university), not just putting out fires (though I am doing the latter more efficiently and successfully too). I feel like a different person, psychologically. My #1 goal when I started was to feel like I was in control of my life, making deliberate decisions. I don't know how changing my eating did that to so many areas of my life, but it has, though all kinds of interesting spillovers and sense of self efficacy.

I am going to slowly reintroduce a few foods when I need to, slowly and deliberately, just to see how they affect me. At this point there isn't anything I am dying to bring back regularly, but will be nice to know what a gorgeous croissant is going to do to me before I come upon one on some perfect special occasion Sunday morning. At this point, I feel sure I'll do a strict W30 again. It's a relief to know it's there, but even more of a relief to be in a position to want to change basically nothing, just not have to be as paranoid about whether there is a small amount of sugar in the ketchup on the rare occasion when I might have a french fry while I am not "on program." I have never felt like this after a "diet" and that is why I could never imagine succeeding without an end horizon. I can now. I can see it. And I can do it.

I am so grateful to this program, the creators, the cheerleaders, the participants. We can do this. And if you need help, please reach out.

Best Sunday to you all!

Whoo-HOO! Congratulations Burgards and CAT5! It's an awesome feeling, right?

There's something extraordinary happening with me physically, and I understand now, on Day 28, why it's so important to do 30 days REALLY strictly, really CLEAN. I've lost the cravings, amazingly, and I'm just very hungry for lovely, high-quality compliant food. I don't even seem to want much fruit, which is VERY unlike my last Whole30 two years ago, when I was making fruit salads every day, eating a fair number of dates stuffed with almond butter and pecans, and hitting the Larabars pretty hard. I had another dance class today and once again, kicked A**! I was more flexible than I've been in years, and was able to do a bunch of stretches that have eluded me for a while. AND my mental clarity is on point. I could pick up the complicated dance combinations that the teacher was doing with such ease! Like Burgards, I'm finding myself VERY productive as well. I'm no longer slogging through this, waiting for the end. Instead, I feel like Burgards, and I want to take reintroduction slowly, and not lose the great feeling I get from eating this way.

So I leave for my work trip tomorrow, and I just spent a portion of the day explaining to my host in St. Louis what I can and cannot eat -- and he's running out to Whole Foods to go grocery shopping to make sure there's compliant food in the house for me. So sweet! I'll do Days 29 and 30 in St. Louis -- and I'll continue on through 31 and 32, since I don't want to try any reintro while I'm away from home. Then I'll come home and figure out the reintros bit by bit...not like last time, where I was just too wild for too many things. I did stay relatively gluten-free and partially dairy free for quite a while after completing the 30 days last time, but I didn't do reintros properly, so this time I really want to give it a chance and see a bit more scientifically how these things affect me.

Hope everyone is keeping well. Somehow, even the thought of Thanksgiving and holidays on the horizon really isn't so daunting, after all...

Day 29  did tell spouse I cant' keep up this amount of cooking. He said he will do cook ahead stuff at night after I am in bed as long as I leave him ingredients and plan. That will be a big help. He told me earlier that I was a good cook to start with but that I got even better over this month so I guess lots of practice does help.

Halloween went well.

Jeweliana  "Im feeling you"  makes sense to me though I haven't lived in NYC for about 20 years. Hope you have a great trip to St. Louis. A great place to visit, art museum and Zoo are free if you have a spare hour. 

CATS great results

burgards  good ideas of what you want to reintro

Last of my 30 days.  I have plans for reintro alcohol tomorrow.   Lara bar with vanilla extract instead of breakfast fruit.  No sulfite added wine that I am going to cook down and use as a glaze for meat.  Shot of rum with double decaf espresso after dinner so it will be on a full stomach.

Day 29  did tell spouse I cant' keep up this amount of cooking. He said he will do cook ahead stuff at night after I am in bed as long as I leave him ingredients and plan. That will be a big help. He told me earlier that I was a good cook to start with but that I got even better over this month so I guess lots of practice does help.

Halloween went well.

Jeweliana  "Im feeling you"  makes sense to me though I haven't lived in NYC for about 20 years. Hope you have a great trip to St. Louis. A great place to visit, art museum and Zoo are free if you have a spare hour. 

CATS great results

burgards  good ideas of what you want to reintro

So excited for you JenHZ that your partner is going to pitch in! and I am sure you deserved that compliment about being a better cook. I know I have honed new methods (like absolutely anything having to do with fish or poultry, which are all brand new to me)

Jeweliana - we have "I feel you" here in my college town too  (: must be all the east coast transplants

CAT5 your results are stunning & I hope the reentry has been smooth

I had a great trip to Chicago the last couple days. It is hard to get enough protein (clean protein) when you are running around at a conference and airports and stuff but I did pretty well. I brought some EPIC turkey bars with me, which aren't a bad solution and basically pretty compliant, and ate more nuts than I would have liked to but they are on plan too. Trader joe's was a godsend - had a kale slaw salad for breakfast yesterday, no dressing, no cranberries. Yum. My epic dinner out was epic. Other than a little butter (well, probably a lot of butter), it was bang on plan. I had scallops for the first course with caramelized endive, buddha's hand citrus and pea shoots, wow. Main was a gorgeous halibut slab with vibrant roasted cauliflower, pear puree and the most exceptional braised savoy cabbage. 

WOW. I like eating out even more now that I am no longer bound by the vegetarian options!

hugs to all as you reenter!

Last of my 30 days.  I have plans for reintro alcohol tomorrow.   Lara bar with vanilla extract instead of breakfast fruit.  No sulfite added wine that I am going to cook down and use as a glaze for meat.  Shot of rum with double decaf espresso after dinner so it will be on a full stomach.

JenHZ how was the booze day?

I forgot to mention in last post that I am sure some dairy snuck in on Monday but other than a little congestion I felt fine. Back to plan for a couple days, then I think I might try soy later this week. I miss edamame and tofu. We'll see.

For those of you who finished your Whole30, congratulations!  We invite you to post your successes in the Success Stories section.

If some of you are extending your Whole30 longer, you are welcome to continue posting in this thread.

For the folks who have moved onto reintroductions, we ask you to please create a new thread in the Reintroduction section to document your results, so as not to confuse newbies reading this thread with posts of consuming off-plan foods.

Archived