Starting October 1 - Who's with me?

praxisproject

Day 13 guys. I mostly feel great but I am still fighting cravings (I went to sleep the other night DYING for a bowl of Rice Krispies) and hunger pangs. 

Here's what I ate today: 

Breakfast - 1 cup coffee with almond milk. 2 scrambled eggs in coconut oil. Big serve of Sauteed onion, spinach and cherry tomatoes in coconut oil.

Pre-lunch snack: 1 cup coffee with homemade macadamia milk. Roasted eggplant. A few turkey slices.

It's now 2pm and I should not still be hungry but I am. Not like, fish and broccoli hungry. I just want a sandwich. Or a bowl of damn Rice Krispies. Or a piece of the cake that's in the office fridge.

I'm trying to completely cut out fruit (my favorite thing in the world) in the hope of slaying the sugar dragon once and for all. But right now I'm like... struggling. 

hang in there lippers! I have been giving myself permission to eat more than I think is reasonable - based of course on the template meals, and not snacking - but eating BIG meals, with lots of good fat. Even though these are what we are instructed to do as part of this program, it is hard to let go of feeling like that is too much food. But you deserve to eat enough of the good stuff to not be going hungry. Let's get the food choices dialed in before we go restricting calories or anything. Not sure if that's what you are doing but if so, don't! You're already working hard enough at making big, sustainable changes!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hang in there lippers! I have been giving myself permission to eat more than I think is reasonable - based of course on the template meals, and not snacking - but eating BIG meals, with lots of good fat. Even though these are what we are instructed to do as part of this program, it is hard to let go of feeling like that is too much food. But you deserve to eat enough of the good stuff to not be going hungry. Let's get the food choices dialed in before we go restricting calories or anything. Not sure if that's what you are doing but if so, don't! You're already working hard enough at making big, sustainable changes!

ps my trial today was passing up the fried pita chips at the lunch for the seminar I was hosting. Those are a major weakness for me. So I ate first and did not eat anything at the actual seminar. Just easier to go 100% than to eat some of the provided salad and really miss that topping that is "supposed" to go on the salad.

of course, now they are sitting down in the break room. I will survive! We've got this.

Day 13 guys. I mostly feel great but I am still fighting cravings (I went to sleep the other night DYING for a bowl of Rice Krispies) and hunger pangs. 

Here's what I ate today: 

Breakfast - 1 cup coffee with almond milk. 2 scrambled eggs in coconut oil. Big serve of Sauteed onion, spinach and cherry tomatoes in coconut oil.

Pre-lunch snack: 1 cup coffee with homemade macadamia milk. Roasted eggplant. A few turkey slices.

It's now 2pm and I should not still be hungry but I am. Not like, fish and broccoli hungry. I just want a sandwich. Or a bowl of damn Rice Krispies. Or a piece of the cake that's in the office fridge.

I'm trying to completely cut out fruit (my favorite thing in the world) in the hope of slaying the sugar dragon once and for all. But right now I'm like... struggling. 

I'd add more to your breakfast to cut out the need for that snack. When eggs are your only soource of protein in a meal a serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people, however many people find they are satiated for longer when they mix up their protein sources so maybe try adding some ground beef or some smoked mackerel for instance - both of which work well with eggs. You could even add a little more fat... (you can ignore the oil you use for cooking & almond milk wouldn't be very satiating) The fat will really help with those cravings.

• Moderators

Here's what I ate today: 

In addition to what jmcbn said about your meals, I wonder if you're eating starchy vegetables at all (potato, sweet potato, any of the winter squashes, root vegetables, jicama, plantain)? If you're not already, try having a fist-sized serving each day and see if that helps at all. Many people report having their starchy vegetables at their last meal of the day helps them to sleep better, and it may help with some of the cravings.

I'd add more to your breakfast to cut out the need for that snack. When eggs are your only soource of protein in a meal a serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people, however many people find they are satiated for longer when they mix up their protein sources so maybe try adding some ground beef or some smoked mackerel for instance - both of which work well with eggs. You could even add a little more fat... (you can ignore the oil you use for cooking & almond milk wouldn't be very satiating) The fat will really help with those cravings.

Thank you. This is a great suggestion. I felt really FULL after my breakfast - like I didn't want to keep eating - but maybe adding some more protein will keep me fuller, longer. I will try it. I did eat my short ribs for a late lunch which are VERY fatty and I did feel full for quite awhile, but now I feel empty again. Not "hungry"...just... "empty". 

In addition to what jmcbn said about your meals, I wonder if you're eating starchy vegetables at all (potato, sweet potato, any of the winter squashes, root vegetables, jicama, plantain)? If you're not already, try having a fist-sized serving each day and see if that helps at all. Many people report having their starchy vegetables at their last meal of the day helps them to sleep better, and it may help with some of the cravings.

Yeah I sort of went nuts on the potatoes in the first week (they're my favorite food) and then was worried about eating them too much so deliberately didn't buy them this week and now I'm realizing that I'm missing them and that I was able to stay fuller for longer when I ate them. 

Maybe I'll go pick up a potato and bake it and eat it with some leftover chilli for meal number 4. Thank you guys for your help. 

I figured out I had a "fence post" problem and am actually on day 9.  Good thing I wrote them on my calendar.  got through my Nia dance class today with no more than my usual foot problems so that was great.  Had my Post work out snack/meal in the car(parked not driving) which was odd but I have figured out 3 places where I can stop and get a fresh cup of coffee and 3 places to use the bathroom.  So that part of the plan is going well.

My spouse is sick with a cold so he is not to impressed with food in general, and sleeps a lot.  That's all typical for him.

Can anyone explain as simply as possible why not too many nuts?  Is it because you need a variety of fats and eating nuts would make you skip other fats or is it because they are bad for you some other way?  Or just because they might be a binge item?

Looks like I have 3 egg hands so my tortilla should be 4 servings.  I have been cutting it into 6 and not really getting hungry before lunch.  I get up at 5 so breakfast is at 6.  Because of my exercise class I have  Meal 2 at 11 a.m.  I have another meal - limited size but same template at 3 p.m. and then we have dinner at 7 p.m. 

Do I really need a bigger breakfast if I'm not hungry before lunch time?   

I have veg with Meal 1 often spinach, broccoli, or green beans.  I usually have a piece of fruit too.  It is pear season here.

also trying not to bee too potato reliant at any other meal.  Spouse and kid won't eat them anyway.  Cauliflower, root veg, carrots, green beans, and snow peas are our go tos.

Hey folks, 

All of you sound like you're really doing well.  It's heartening to know that we're facing the same kinds of challenges and making the effort to tough it out.  I feel like I go back and forth.  Sometimes I just want a big piece of chocolate cake, and sometimes I feel really good and sort of "virtuous" about making good choices.  I do feel good physically; this is Day 9 for me and I think I'm getting past the seriously tired all the time phase.  

We were away for the weekend traveling up to Vermont (we live in NYC) to see my husband's family, which entailed a few restaurant meals and a spur of the moment road picnic of meat wrapped in lettuce wraps and apple slices with almond butter, but I think we did really well.  We ate in a Middle Eastern restaurant and just had grilled kebabs and salads;  we did eat eggs and potatoes in a diner but made sure to stay compliant.  

I've been cooking meals that are really delicious (I know they're good when my husband says he "ALMOST doesn't miss the cheese, since this is so tasty".  We loved spaghetti squash with a rich, hearty homemade meat sauce; leg of lamb with lemon & anchovy, ratatouille and cauliflower mash.  Tomorrow I'm making Nom Nom Paleo's slow cooker Kalua Pig, and we'll have that with mustard greens and Hannah sweet potatoes, which are those light-colored ones that have creamy flesh that tastes a little bit like chestnuts.  I want to make some soup too.  I make enough of everything to have at least two meals and freeze two more, so that when I don't have time to cook I can pull stuff out of the freezer.  That's really helping with not stressing over the food prep.  I also made Melissa Joulwan's hard boiled eggs and stashed them in the fridge, and am eating them with homemade mayo when I get itchy for a protein snack.  Oh, yeah, I made a batch of homemade mayo and a batch of good salad dressing, and that really helps too.  

Thanks for all of your ideas.  It helps to read your posts and know that you're working at it too.

Just wanted to check in and give a quick update. I am trying my best to stay on plan while I prepare for surgery (which is now scheduled for a week from today), but honestly over the weekend I did allow myself a few non compliant foods. I am happy that I haven't totally turned to food for comfort but I decided I can't beat myself up right now. I feel bad posting in this thread because I am not on the plan, so I will not continue to post here. I want to THANK so many of you for your well wishes and I welcome any private messages if you want to stay in touch. I will be back for another Whole 30 = most likely after the holidays so I know I will meet up with some of you again. 

Good luck as you continue this Journey - you are doing great and are almost half way there!!!

Hey Susabella,

I've been thinking about you every day, and hoping you're doing well.  It sounds like you're doing a great job of taking care of YOU, which is a priority right now.  And congratulations on scheduling your surgery so fast -- best thing you could do!  I'll message you privately, too.  

big hugs, 

Jeweliana

• Moderators

Can anyone explain as simply as possible why not too many nuts?  Is it because you need a variety of fats and eating nuts would make you skip other fats or is it because they are bad for you some other way?  Or just because they might be a binge item?

It's a few reasons: Variety is always good -- you get different nutrients from different foods. Nuts are not ideal in their omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Nuts can be a food without brakes (FWOB here in the forums) -- a food that it's easy to eat mindlessly and overeat. And for some people, having too many nuts causes digestive problems.

THANK GOODNESS the horrible feeling from yesterday seems to have passed.  Had to end my day yesterday by going to a local food event party and didn't even touch a single bit of food.  I did however, have a mini meal when I got home at 8:30 but kept to the template and included a small sweet potato.  This is the first time I've eaten 'out of meal' since the programme began and considering how I was feeling yesterday and where I had to go last night, I think it was a good way to get me through the day.  Will refrain from eating at night again though as I know it's just not good for me. 

Looking forward to some good meals today and feeling like my mental state has returned to normal! 

Thanks for the encouragement from yesterday, guys - I wish I could say I was feeling better but I'm not. I had a PWO Hard Boiled Egg this morning, went to a low-intensity gym class, came back and ate breakfast - a baked potato, leftover chilli (from last night's dinner), and a smoothie with spinach, banana, almond butter and macadamia milk. I got to work and felt the same as I did yesterday - super fatigued and nauseous. I haven't been able to stomach more than an all-vegetable green juice (romaine, parsley, kale, ginger, lemon, and salt) and some cut up veggies since then. I have chicken and short ribs in the fridge and I just can't bring myself to eat them. I feel both empty / in need of fuel and super nauseous. Nothing feels appealing right now. I just want to nap. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh helppppp where did the magic goooooooo

Sorry Newbie, this is my first W30 so no ideas from me.

Day 10 and no feeling of quitting here.  But I am worried about Friday.  I have to drive to attend the funeral of a friend's father.  Then I have to attend a retirement party for a different friend.  Between treats and "life is short" and feeling old there will be a lot to navigate.  I  will have to leave the funeral promptly to pick up my kid from school so that should just be emotionally draining.  I am going to stock the car with fizzy water in case I can't stop for a coffee.  The party is nibbles and cake so I will eat dinner afterwards but have to plan to eat out.  That plan is not firm yet.  And I need to eat before the funeral which will be tough if my cleaning lady chooses Friday to clean  (she sets her own schedule).

Ok gotta go plan.

Thanks for the encouragement from yesterday, guys - I wish I could say I was feeling better but I'm not. I had a PWO Hard Boiled Egg this morning, went to a low-intensity gym class, came back and ate breakfast - a baked potato, leftover chilli (from last night's dinner), and a smoothie with spinach, banana, almond butter and macadamia milk. I got to work and felt the same as I did yesterday - super fatigued and nauseous. I haven't been able to stomach more than an all-vegetable green juice (romaine, parsley, kale, ginger, lemon, and salt) and some cut up veggies since then. I have chicken and short ribs in the fridge and I just can't bring myself to eat them. I feel both empty / in need of fuel and super nauseous. Nothing feels appealing right now. I just want to nap. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh helppppp where did the magic goooooooo

I'd suggest dropping the smoothie and green juice: both are discouraged on a Whole30, as the idea is to chew your food vs drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

Try creating all your meals of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat. If eating the whole thing feels too much, work your way around the plate, eat until you are full, and then if you have leftovers, wrap them up to have later at your next meal or as part of a snack.

Are you eating more animal protein than you ate pre-Whole30? I wonder if digestive enzymes would be helpful for you?

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support. Feeling MUCH better today. Breakfast was 2 Aidell's chicken and Apple sausages, one hard boiled egg, half an avocado, cucumbers, and half an apple. Also did that thing where I made coffee blended with coconut milk and it was truly delicious, creamy and filling.

Feeling good and looking forward to lunch. We're halfway there folks!! 

Hey Lippers -- I really identify with how you're feeling.  It's VERY up and down for me.  I'm on Day 11 today, and my appetite is back-and-forth.  Sometimes I feel energetic, hungry for exactly what I've cooked, and really excited to be eating this way...and other times it feels like a chore to try to get through a meal and I just want anything other than what I'm having.  Some food boredom just set in within the past day or two, so I'm toughing it out and hoping that it passes.  I think it's important, especially when we're struggling, not to be too super-strict with things that are actually within the guidelines.  Yes, I'm trying to limit my fruit so as not to feed my sugar addiction, but if a small bowl of fresh berries and pineapple or two dried apricots are going to get me through the evening without digging into the freezer for the brownies hidden in the back, then it's worth it -- and that's how normal, healthy people eat.  I have to remind myself of that.  When I get super-rigid with myself, I'm more in danger of tossing out my resolve than if I'm being somewhat flexible with myself while still following program guidelines.  

Oddly enough, this morning I didn't want the fruit I'd prepped for my breakfast along with sliced meat and a bowl of veggies.  After not wanting breakfast at all, I slowly chowed through the meat and veg, and then suddenly wanted even MORE protein, so I had a hard-boiled egg with a dollop of homemade mayo. Hmmmm...I'd like to hope that my sugar dragon is on the wane, but I know this goes back and forth for me.  So -- keep on keeping on, and just ride the waves of the various phases of this ride.  Hopefully we'll all soon hit the downhill slope and get the Tiger Blood going!

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support. Feeling MUCH better today. Breakfast was 2 Aidell's chicken and Apple sausages, one hard boiled egg, half an avocado, cucumbers, and half an apple. Also did that thing where I made coffee blended with coconut milk and it was truly delicious, creamy and filling.

Feeling good and looking forward to lunch. We're halfway there folks!! 

Whoops -- you've already coasted past that last patch.  Yay.  

Hey Lippers -- I really identify with how you're feeling.  It's VERY up and down for me.  I'm on Day 11 today, and my appetite is back-and-forth.  Sometimes I feel energetic, hungry for exactly what I've cooked, and really excited to be eating this way...and other times it feels like a chore to try to get through a meal and I just want anything other than what I'm having.  Some food boredom just set in within the past day or two, so I'm toughing it out and hoping that it passes.  I think it's important, especially when we're struggling, not to be too super-strict with things that are actually within the guidelines.  Yes, I'm trying to limit my fruit so as not to feed my sugar addiction, but if a small bowl of fresh berries and pineapple or two dried apricots are going to get me through the evening without digging into the freezer for the brownies hidden in the back, then it's worth it -- and that's how normal, healthy people eat.  I have to remind myself of that.  When I get super-rigid with myself, I'm more in danger of tossing out my resolve than if I'm being somewhat flexible with myself while still following program guidelines.  

Oddly enough, this morning I didn't want the fruit I'd prepped for my breakfast along with sliced meat and a bowl of veggies.  After not wanting breakfast at all, I slowly chowed through the meat and veg, and then suddenly wanted even MORE protein, so I had a hard-boiled egg with a dollop of homemade mayo. Hmmmm...I'd like to hope that my sugar dragon is on the wane, but I know this goes back and forth for me.  So -- keep on keeping on, and just ride the waves of the various phases of this ride.  Hopefully we'll all soon hit the downhill slope and get the Tiger Blood going!

hi Jeweliana - every few nights I have this frenzied feeling of need to eat ALL THE PROTEINS and have to have scrambled eggs after a normal W30 template dinner. For now, I am just going with it. Loving all the fat and feeling generally better and better all the time.

dear october 1st crew - how are you all doing? HALFWAY!

WE ARE CRUSHING IT!!! 

Doing well these last couple of days. Definitely feeling stronger, leaner, and more clear-eyed. I know I'm not supposed to indulge in fruit as a snack but on the rare occasions that I do I'm amazed at just how sweet it tastes. 

What's everyone cooking this weekend? 

Thanks for these sweet and encouraging words and I feel totally the same about the fruit thing. Considering there's been a cake in my office fridge this entire week and the most "dangerous" thing I've eaten is a few spoonfuls of sun butter and a clementine...I think we're doing great. x

WE ARE CRUSHING IT!!! 

Doing well these last couple of days. Definitely feeling stronger, leaner, and more clear-eyed. I know I'm not supposed to indulge in fruit as a snack but on the rare occasions that I do I'm amazed at just how sweet it tastes. 

What's everyone cooking this weekend? 

So crushing it.

last night I made this and I CANNOT WAIT to get home after the gym and eat it tonight. 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2743098688/david-lebovitzs-super-easy-roast-chicken-with

also finally made this and it is, indeed, all that

http://paleomg.com/sneak-peek-recipe-from-juli-bauers-paleo-cookbook-buffalo-chicken-casserole/

Advanced Member those look like terrific recipes.

Lippers I am making a kind of turkey stew Chop Suey will have riced cauliflower with that. and of course my weekly frittata/Spanish tortilla.

I made it through the funeral pretty easily as I had to leave before they brought out the snacks.  And last night's party wasn't anything fancy so stuck to fruits and veggies and left early enough to eat dinner of leftovers at home afterwards.  It helped that I am old enough that a lot of my friends aren't drinking alcohol for a variety of reasons.

The "why am I cranky" letter in the newsletter today made me worry in an odd way.  My question is "why isn't this harder?"  I mean it is difficult, there is a lot of cooking and planning.  But I am coming to accept that if I want healthy and tasty I have to cook it myself or go really high end dining out.  I put off trying a whole30 because I figured I'd have miserable blood sugar shaky crashes at first.  I'm on day 13 and that hasn't happened.  I am quite hungry when it is time to eat a meal and I've had occasional cravings, and headaches the first couple days.  But on the whole I've felt fine.  Does that mean I'm not really detoxing?  I've had a couple minor slip ups (sugar in vitamin pill not noticed for 1st 2 days, 1 accidental sip of my kid's milk, ate a burger out that I am suspicious of).  I'm not going to restart as my proposed end of reintroductions is only 1 week before Thanksgiving as it is.  And I probably would not try again until next October if I quit now.  Any ideas would be appreciated but I also appreciate a place to just write this out.

Advanced Member those look like terrific recipes.

Lippers I am making a kind of turkey stew Chop Suey will have riced cauliflower with that. and of course my weekly frittata/Spanish tortilla.

I made it through the funeral pretty easily as I had to leave before they brought out the snacks.  And last night's party wasn't anything fancy so stuck to fruits and veggies and left early enough to eat dinner of leftovers at home afterwards.  It helped that I am old enough that a lot of my friends aren't drinking alcohol for a variety of reasons.

The "why am I cranky" letter in the newsletter today made me worry in an odd way.  My question is "why isn't this harder?"  I mean it is difficult, there is a lot of cooking and planning.  But I am coming to accept that if I want healthy and tasty I have to cook it myself or go really high end dining out.  I put off trying a whole30 because I figured I'd have miserable blood sugar shaky crashes at first.  I'm on day 13 and that hasn't happened.  I am quite hungry when it is time to eat a meal and I've had occasional cravings, and headaches the first couple days.  But on the whole I've felt fine.  Does that mean I'm not really detoxing?  I've had a couple minor slip ups (sugar in vitamin pill not noticed for 1st 2 days, 1 accidental sip of my kid's milk, ate a burger out that I am suspicious of).  I'm not going to restart as my proposed end of reintroductions is only 1 week before Thanksgiving as it is.  And I probably would not try again until next October if I quit now.  Any ideas would be appreciated but I also appreciate a place to just write this out.

I share some of your feelings, JenHZ. I experienced much the same as you and was waiting for the other shoe to drop for awhile, but now I have decided to just embrace the good. I came down with a head cold yesterday. I feel better now, with a bad head cold, than I have felt in a long time. Honestly. Now that is tellign me something. i don't know how much is food and body stuff, what fraction is the psychological aspect (having stuck to something "difficult" for awhile now, and feeling like I'm succeeding at it), and how much is the other stuff I have been trying to do - break lazy habits that I've been wanting to get rid of, being more productive and present at work... all I can say is that I don't feel compelled to untangle this perfect storm of good at the moment. Or at least, most of the time I can just bask in the good. Congrats on being good to yourself and reaping the benefits!  Pass all that good on to someone else who needs it right now.

dear oct 1 companions,

I wanted to report back. earlier in this month I mentioned that I thought my gums were "better" -- I just returned from the dentist's office and both the dentist and my hygienist remarked on just how much better they were! I know that in the scheme of things this is not that huge a deal but it is such a clear sign of the reduced inflammation, I was really pleased. I spend a lot of time at the dentist's office. A lot. So there you go, major NSV for us.

go team!

Archived