Starting October 1 - Who's with me?

praxisproject

I sometimes have appetite troubles when I start a W30, as I have cortisone problems. This was a really big breakfast and eaten slowly :)

Three meals is best, but if you have medical problems, you may need more mini meals. I work best when I don't skip meals, but when I make big changes to my food, sometimes it takes a few days to adjust :) Prior to this Whole30, I had not been eating well (I got #paleolazy ), recovering from surgery and illness.

I have been having a lot of trouble with feeling *NOT HUNGRY AT ALL* in the morning, but I have read the books and I understand where it's coming from and that it will shift. Last couple of nights I also felt not hungry at all at dinner time. I'm just making the food and eating it and always feel better afterward. Taking my body some time to adjust and that's a-okay. Thanks for your helpful posts, praxisproject.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NSV report: 

• waking up and feeling clear without coffee, I don't need to drink a cup before my brain decides to function. Bounding out of bed at 4:30 am? Um, no, not yet, but waking up pretty naturally on time
  • someone mentioned that good fish feeling. I totally get it, even though it mystifies me. Wow, does my body loooove  fish. This coming from a very long term vegetarian until the past week - the related NS victory is feeling full after dinner. I haven't felt full after meals in I don't know how many years. This is transformation - especially late at night.

Good Morning everyone, 

The last 24 hrs have been a whirlwind. I got some bad news after a routine Mammogram, not one to panic I waited for the biopsy results and found out yesterday I have breast cancer. Have an appointment with a surgeon today and trying very hard to keep it together. Looking for a positive in all this I stayed   Whole 30 since hearing the news and that to me is amazing. I figure that now more then ever I need to treat my body right and stay as healthy as I possibly can. I will try to continue to check in on this group but not sure what the next few weeks will bring. 

Remember to get those Mammograms ladies!! 

Good Morning everyone, 

The last 24 hrs have been a whirlwind. I got some bad news after a routine Mammogram, not one to panic I waited for the biopsy results and found out yesterday I have breast cancer. Have an appointment with a surgeon today and trying very hard to keep it together. Looking for a positive in all this I stayed   Whole 30 since hearing the news and that to me is amazing. I figure that now more then ever I need to treat my body right and stay as healthy as I possibly can. I will try to continue to check in on this group but not sure what the next few weeks will bring. 

So sorry to hear this. My sister has been living with secondary breast cancer for 6 years now so I know the journey ahead won't be easy, but I know that right now you are doing the absolute best for your body. Stay strong, stay positive & rally your support network for help in the coming weeks - I'll be thinking about you...

Good Morning everyone, 

Dear Susabella627

I am so sorry to hear that you got such frightening news. You need to take care of yourself in the way that seems best to you through this and be gentle to yourself. Reach out to your communities. I am going to be thinking about you a lot today - I admire your strength and positive attitude but you get to be mad about it too...

Does anyone else experience this?  I've just had a large lunch of roasted brussel sprouts in coconut oil, kale and a steak with a side of blackberries.  However, as I digest this, I'm 'hungry' for something else.  I'm obviously full, but feel like I should be having a pudding of some kind.  Is this just the sugar dragon coming out to play? Am I missing something in the meal?

Good Morning everyone, 

You are so good to be taking care of yourself. You deserve it.  Sending prayers.

Good Morning everyone, 

Hi Susabella -- I'm a breast cancer conqueror (survivor), coming up on my seven year anniversary of diagnosis, and would be happy for you to contact me if it would be helpful.  I think you're a HERO for staying with your Whole30 as a response instead of diving into "comfort" foods.  It's a good moment to take exquisite care of yourself;  I can identify since my diagnosis was when I went COMPLETELY organic for an entire year.  When I got my BC diagnosis I felt VERY out of control, and this gave me the feeling that I had control over something, as well as being a healthier way to frame our household food choices. And the Whole30 is that too -- especially when it's something that works well for your own body chemistry.  I hope it will help you through some of the challenges that come up during the next months by giving you all kinds of good energy.  

During diagnosis and treatment I reached out to many folks whom I only met online, and some over the phone, who listened and sometimes gave me wise counsel and who sometimes were simply there.  Please let me know if I can be of help.  

Julie

Hi all,

I started yesterday, so I'm on Day 2 of my second Whole30 -- the first one was more than two years ago, and though the benefits were wonderful for both my husband and myself, let's just say that the good habits have had a lot of "slippage" over the past couple of years.  

I feel (for the moment at least) that I'm having an easier time of it than during round one.   I know what to expect and how to plan our meals, and so far it's been fun and feels good.  But hey, that's just Day Two.

Fantastic meals so far, since I pre-prepped by making a luscious brisket in gravy with vegetables and a green chili chicken stew with zucchini & peppers, as well as a couple of delish vegetable medleys.  I'm not yet feeling the need for sweets, which is great since I have a serious sugar dragon.  A little fruit after I've eaten my protein, veg and fat has been great, but I haven't even needed that at every meal.  Last time I felt like I replaced the sweets urge with dates (and some Larabars) so this time I want to make an effort to not "substitute" a dense, sugary permitted fruit like dates for the chocolate and other desserts I may be craving soon -- or at least not to rush for it as soon as the urge hits me, but to wait a while and see if the craving will pass.  

Good to be back in the Whole30 community!  

as predicted, I was draggy and tired today. got through it at work but was not raring to go. but this is all in the predicted timeline so hanging in there as I am sure it will pass quickly and it means this process is unfolding as it should. when I didn't want to go to the gym after a long day I thought of Susabella627 and decided I would go to the gym for both of us. 

Good Morning everyone, 

I have a mammogram appointment on Monday - just my annual checkup. I will pray for you.

Day 8 I feel great :lol:  Breakfast- spinach frittata, mixed veg and salsa, some melon. I've been keeping to 3 full meals a day, occasionally eating piece of fruit and some pistachios. I've been keeping up with exercising, walking hills about 1 hour or ab cardio on exer tv. I haven't had any strong desires of food calling me like my sis in law and neice LOL I haven't found a good tea that has good flavor though, tried several brands

I'm getting used to planning and preparing meals. have spent my months food budget already!!! eating Good Food is expensive

I have noticed my love handles and waistline are getting smaller.  ​

Lunch- salad with chicken breast, fruit

Dinner- spaghetti squash, spag sauce made in crockpot over weekend (I tried recipe with spag squash in the crockpot with the sauce but it turned to mush  :(   Never prepared spag squash before,

I' m enjoying trying new vegetables.  Over next 3 weeks may cut down on recipe cooking esp during the week.

Enjoy the rest of your day Ladies!! :)  ​ ​

Day 8 I feel great :lol:  Breakfast- spinach frittata, mixed veg and salsa, some melon. I've been keeping to 3 full meals a day, occasionally eating piece of fruit and some pistachios. I've been keeping up with exercising, walking hills about 1 hour or ab cardio on exer tv. I haven't had any strong desires of food calling me like my sis in law and neice LOL I haven't found a good tea that has good flavor though, tried several brands

I'm getting used to planning and preparing meals. have spent my months food budget already!!! eating Good Food is expensive

I have noticed my love handles and waistline are getting smaller.  ​

Lunch- salad with chicken breast, fruit

Dinner- spaghetti squash, spag sauce made in crockpot over weekend (I tried recipe with spag squash in the crockpot with the sauce but it turned to mush  :(   Never prepared spag squash before,

I' m enjoying trying new vegetables.  Over next 3 weeks may cut down on recipe cooking esp during the week.

Enjoy the rest of your day Ladies!! :)  ​ ​

Spaghetti squash is magic. glad you have found it - I always just poke with a knife all over and stick in a 13x9 or on a baking sheet on parchment at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes until it collapses. That way you don't introduce too much water to the equation.

You're lucky that you aren't craving (I am not either) - we need to give support to our friends who aren't so lucky at this point. I am sure our turn will come at some point...

Does anyone else experience this?  I've just had a large lunch of roasted brussel sprouts in coconut oil, kale and a steak with a side of blackberries.  However, as I digest this, I'm 'hungry' for something else.  I'm obviously full, but feel like I should be having a pudding of some kind.  Is this just the sugar dragon coming out to play? Am I missing something in the meal?

Actually it could be either. Lots of greens, but not many other colours, you might need some orange or red in there. You had blackberries which are quite sweet, but there might not be enough starch in your overall meal, you really might be hungry :) Before adding more fruit, try adding some starchy veg like sweet potato or pumpkin. Did you have extra fat as well as the cooking oil?

I haven't found a good tea that has good flavor though, tried several brands [snip]

I tried recipe with spag squash in the crockpot with the sauce but it turned to mush

I don't drink regular black tea, I like weird teas. My favourite brands are the English Tea Shop and Pukka, so far, all the ones I've found have been compliant and while I love the Pukka ones, the English Tea Shop ones feel like a treat somehow (no nasties) and I've finally figured out it's the smell. They don't just taste good, they all smell amazing and the smell and taste don't always match, so they're also more interesting to me :)

I bake my spag squash in the oven, but I don't cut it open first (seen too many scary knife injury photos lol) - I poke a few holes in it to let the steam out, then I bake it until the skin is soft enough to cut open. Then I cut it, scoop out the seeds and bake the two halves again. Easy, no super-human strength required, no injuries, no mush :) I would like to try steaming it in a crockpot though, whole, but I haven't tried it yet.

Hey squad. Day 9 today and I am FINALLY starting to see the "magic". I woke up this morning feeling amazing - not anxious, boundless energy, and excited about the day ahead (which is always hard for me on a Friday!) Yesterday was also the first day that I truly got through the day without feeling hungry or like I needed to run out and buy a donut. Have also managed to stay pretty much entirely on track, despite having to attend a film premiere last weekend that had an afterparty resembling a very lavish barmitzvah. I had friends in town this week and convinced them to come to a healthy restaurant with me for dinner (Ellary's Greens in New York if anyone is interested - it's great!)

Mostly got through the week on Mel Joulwan's Chocolate Chilli and Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup - excited to shop and try a bunch of new recipes this weekend.

Hope everyone is feeling similarly awesome and that you all have a terrific weekend! 

Archived