Chronic nausea and vomiting medical condition

Good evening!

I wanted to start whole 30 in hopes of helping relieve some of the chronic ailments I have and I have read many posts on how this program actually helped reduce symptoms.

My husband and I started this past weekend; but due to my fibromyalgia and various other ailments, I have chronic, irretractable nausea accompanied by chronic vomiting. As such, in the past three days, I have remained whole 30 compliant but my food intake has been extremely limited...

I am starting to worry that I will not get the benefits associated with this program simply because if my inability to hold food down most days.

Any suggestions on a micro level whole 30? Specific food I should really focus on?. I constantly hydrate (even before), I am nibbling in raw veggies the most over the past three days, but have no idea how to tackle this with the nausea issues.

Any ideas is greatly appreciated!

• Moderators

If you weren't doing a Whole30 right now, what would you eat to help with this? Maybe someone will have some compliant substitutes that might help.

In general, maybe cooked starchy vegetables would help, both to be a little easier on your stomach than raw stuff, and in terms of maybe getting you more calories/nutrients. 

For general nausea, the most common recommendations are to sip bone broth, stick to bland foods (scrambled or poached eggs, baked potatoes or sweet potatoes, soups), and try peppermint or ginger tea to try to help with the nausea. I have no idea whether those will make much difference in your case, but they might be worth trying. Other than that, keep eating the things you feel comfortable eating. If you have meds you'd normally take to help with this, be sure you keep taking them.

Welcome :)

Don't worry about the three meal part of the plan, eat what you can, when you can. Nutrition is the most important.

Don't skip any special hydration medication if you normally take any, even if it has sugar. Doctors orders always trump W30.

This isn't a must do list, this is a list of things which might help, might not. Everyone is different and combinations of medical issues can make things more complicated, but this is a list of some things that help some people with digestion or stomach problems, your doctor might have some recommendations too:

• Small volume, mini meals - If your stomach is really struggling, sometimes it just can't handle much volume (like after lapband surgery). Use the template, but go for a small size, half an apple size or a whole apple. This can allow your stomach to "finish" a small amount of digestion and have those nutrients and energy available.
  • Avoiding drinking before or with meals (this dilutes stomach acid, which is good for some, not for others)
  • Soups - With fat, protein and veggies, blended for easier absorption.
  • Bone broth - If you haven't tried this, don't be scared, it's worth it and gets much easier once you've made it a few times.
  • Gelatin - For some people, gelatin is essential to their insides feeling good.
  • Egg yolks & liver - Lots of really important nutrition in here. Chicken liver makes a nice smooth pate.
  • Avoiding or reducing probiotics or enzymes (for some people, these make things worse rather than better)
  • Choose cooked and soft veggies over raw and crunchy (easier to digest) - things like mashed or puréed pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot
  • Avoid cruciferous veggies, some people find these produce too much internal gas or are too hard to digest
  • Avoid high acid foods, for some these can trigger reflux or other troubles
  • Avoid nuts and seeds - These can be either physical irritants or irritants from things like phytic acids.
  • Ginger tablets - Check if these are okay with your doctor, but they work for some and are often used in morning sickness (sometimes they only have this on the label :) ) If tablets are no good, fresh ginger might be better, goes great in soups :)

I'm a huge fan of this soup when I'm not feeling well: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/made with bone broth it's amazing :D

If you're trying some different tweaks, keep a food log as well as logging how you're feeling, see if anything seems better/worse.

Don't do too many different things at once, or it's too hard to figure out what works best.

Hang in there and let us know how you're doing :)

• Administrators

I am starting to worry that I will not get the benefits associated with this program simply because if my inability to hold food down most days.

You are probably not going to get the benefits associated with Whole30 if you are vomiting on a daily basis. Not trying to be harsh, just real.  The Whole30 and all of its magic are based on eating three template meals every day in proper portions (and then retaining that nutrition).  If you are eating just enough to get by/stay alive because of your nausea and vomitting, you will not see the results that others have.

On the other hand, staying away from known inflammers like grains, sugar and dairy a la Whole30 is only going to help when you are ill.

Archived