Oct. 1st. Start: Newbie to New Me!

GetnFitr

After my candy corn binge last night, I'm so sick that there is no where else to go but up. Truly, I hit my sugar rock-bottom last night and now all my trepidation about starting this program, which I've thought long and hard about doing for the past 30 days, has vanished. It disappeared at 2;30 am when I woke up with a raging headache, night sweats, nausea, and dizziness. My sugar craving is out of control, or should I say was out of control because I am officially off the stuff for the next 30 if not 360 days. I have no idea what will transpire over the next 30 days, if I will experience the great improvements in health that others have experienced, but I swear whatever happens, I will be feeling better than I do right now. This sugar/chemical induced hangover that I've got going on right now is serious business. All from Brachs Candy Corn, too. I better check what's in that stuff because I'm sure that beyond the crazy amount of sugar that's in there, this got to be a host of other chemicals that are contributing to my body screaming "that's enough!".

Today is Day 1, and I have no idea what's I store for me over the next 30 days, but I do know I'm about to find out. Here's to much health and GETNFITR ever day.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's your answer:

Sugar, Corn Syrup, Confectioner's Glaze, Salt, Dextrose, Gelatin, Sesame Oil, Artificial Flavor, Honey, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 3.

There may be trouble ahead (& by that I mean in the form of a headache/carb flu) Make sure you're drinking at least half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily, and including some starchy veg as you transition from the old diet to the new...

Good luck!!

Thank you for the heads up regarding what's to come...I have a hunch things might not be pretty for a while...that's ALOT of water to drink. I don't even drink half of that right now, so I've got my work cut out for me there, too. I'll get some sweet potatoes at the store to roast. Are bananas ok?

Any fruit is fine - just don't use it to replace the candy corn - it'll only feed the sugar dragon!! If you do inlcude fruit eat it with, or as part of a meal, only after you've eaten veg, and no more than two servings of the day (probably best kept to meals 2 & 3)

Don't skimp on fat - fat really will be your friend here & help stave off those cravings...

That's too funny--replacing candy corn with bananas. Brilliant thought, if it weren't forbidden.

I have made it to my witching hour (4-8pm), and so far I am still repulsed by thought of sugar, diet coke, cookies, etc. My headache is gone, I ate 5 times the vegetables I'd normally eat, and had Whole30-perfect dinner.

Only 29 days 18 hours to go. 

Good Morning Day 2!

Well, I woke up feeling pretty darn good, no make that pretty darn great this morning. My feet didn't hurt when I got out of bed and I walked down the stairs without my usual morning stiffness. So Yea!!! It's so Nice to feel good for once. If I think about it, I woke up feeling sick almost every single day for the past four or five years. Not flu sick just blech sick, mild hangover sick, even when I'd have nothing to drink the night before. So today feels like a huge victory, so far....guess we'll see just how victorious I feel at 8 pm. But for now, Day 2 starts with a big thumbs up!

Great news about your lack of foot pain, whether it's due to clean eating or just randomness. 

The sugar wants you to think it's your friend ... remember that sick hangovery feeling it gives you when it comes around trying to convince you to give it another chance. It's sneaky, conniving stuff, that sugar.

Sugar really had a grip on me, no doubt about it. My Candy Corn binge, while it might sound funny, was no joke. I felt like a heroin addict wanting another fix, then another, then another. I could feel my brain firing up with each handful. Totally gross. So in the spirit of "recovery", I'll take this one day at at time, cherish the victories however small they might be, and take your advice and watch out for that fierce sugar dragon, who I know is lurking in the recesses of my will power.

Day 2 breakfast and lunch : 1 small, skinny sweet potato, 1/2 cup green beans, 5 Brussel sprouts, all drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Roasted for 30 minutes until perfect.

3 madjool dates, 3 cantaloupe spears wrapped with prosciutto, 1 ounce hazelnuts, .25 ounce pistachios. I'm stuffed.

Yeah, you might wanna hold the dates..... just ONE of those bad boys has more sugar per 100g than most candy bars - erm, candy corn anyone?  ;) 

You're also missing protein in your breakfast - nuts are a fat source on Whole30, and prosciutto is practically paper LOL

Aim for at least a palm sized piece of protein per meal. 

I had a feeling I'd hear from you guys about those dates...I was just so pleased with myself that I'd actually cooked and ate the vegetables I bought this morning (versus letting them rot in the fridge) that I had myself a little mini celebration to mark my remarkable achievement. I'll watch the nuts.

Here's dinner: 

1/2 cup Snap peas, turkey patty with hot sauce (Frank's), an entire tomato, 1/8 avocado, a few sweet potato medallions left from this morning, and thats it! No DATES and not a single nut on my plate! Yea!!

I hear you on the prosciutto...technically speaking if I wad it up in a ball, it does fit in the palm of my hand though; Although I realize that is not the spirit in which the palm-of-your-hand rule was intended.

DAY 2: With the exception of my nut and date indulgences, it went very well today. I'm proud of my achievements both large and small, and cannot believe I've gone 2 days without a diet coke or a handful of chocolate, or candy (whether it be in the shape of a corn kernel or otherwise).

I hear you on the prosciutto...technically speaking if I wad it up in a ball, it does fit in the palm of my hand though; Although I realize that is not the spirit in which the palm-of-your-hand rule was intended.

Just to clarify on the palm-size, it's the length, width and thickness of the palm of your hand: not what fits in your palm. 1-2 of those per meal, as part of the recommended template of protein, veg and fat for best results.

Good Morning Day 3!

Had a two dates last night but like I said before, Moderators, I'm doing my best and am NOT looking to be perfect especially in regards to following the every growing subset of rules that seem to have been bestowed upon me the past two days. 

I am following the rules of the program as written under "the rules of the program", though, as I have not had on single solitary item on the no-can-have list. If I have not had a diet coke or any candy. I i know I know...the dates are candy...so let me say, 'artificial" candy as in something one can buy at 7-11, which I know for sure my organic madjool dates cannot be. I haven't had  any wine, not a gin or a tonic, nothing I would normally call a food group. I haven't had one of those things and for that I AM SUPER PROUD OF MYSELF! As far as I'm concerned and for the sake of my log, proportions will work themselves out over the length of the thirty days. The first few days can be a bit stressful trying to figure it all out, that's how I see it anyway.

Hey, quitting diet coke is its own victory. I hear that habit is even harder to kill than a regular soda pop habit (mine was Pepsi ... nearly at one year without it!). You should be proud of yourself! (The dates are something to be cautious about, though. They can sneak up on you and suddenly you realize you're having ten of them after every meal. Just something to keep an eye on, is all.)

Thank you! I'm truly addicted to Aspartame so this is a huge victory, as you know being a soda lover yourself!

Day4: Went great today and not one damn date.

In the spirit of Melissa Hartwig's pinned post regarding these personal logs not being " monitored" by the moderators: I'd like To make the following disclaimer: this is my personal log of my Whole30 experience. I am not a professional Whole30'er, so I will make mistakes, not eat the correct portions, and maybe eat too many damn dates on any given day as I learn how to adjust and make the necessary changes to my diet. I appreciate all the advice regarding dates, but truly I feel like they are receiving way too much attention, which is taking away from all the personal victories I've achieved over the past four days.

Well it appears I got ahead of myself yesterday and squished in day 4 at the end of day 3. So, today is actually day 4 and I am super excited about today because I woke up with additional joint flexibility in my shoulder, which has been thawing after a terrible year long bout of "frozen shoulder". I am extactic! I have nearly full range of motion this morning, which I never thought I'd get back to. My tummy isn't as distended and here is the other amazing news.....I actually slept, uninterrupted from 10:30pm until 4:30am!!! What's even more exciting is that I was then even able to drift back to sleep until 7:10am. This is nothing short of a miracle, folks! I have not slept this soundly for almost five or six years, so I am freaking out!!

Last night, I had the discipline of an Olympic athlete: not one single tortilla chip crossed my lips. Not one sip of a margarita, not one sip of soda or tea even. Just plain old ice cold water! Wow! My meal consisted of grilled chicken with sautéed veges, and spicy pico. It was so incredibly flavorful. I truly did not miss the platter of beans and rice etc, etc, etc. I had an out of body experience when I got in the car thinking, "no way did I just do that! " truly, a winner of a day, and an example of stick-to-it-ness that I haven't experienced in a very long time. The best part is my reward: my slowly thawing shoulder is almost completely thawed!

My inner confidence seems to be peaking out around the corner, so watch out! I just might get up the nerve to go to the gym sometime this week! Crazy, I know. The truth is I've been feeling so poorly, some of which is due to that constant blech feeling I always had, but much of it due to embarrassment that I have gained 30 pounds and can't, or should I say couldn't, seem to do much about it. I felt a lot of shame about my weight gain, and find/found myself avoiding places I used to go on a daily basis in fear of running in to people. I acknowledge Ive stepped much closer to, if not into, the "she really let herself go" category. The " she really looks good" category seems a long ways off, but now at least it's on the horizon. Even if it's at a very far distance. It's there now, and boy! Does that feel good.

Well it appears I got ahead of myself yesterday and squished in day 4 at the end of day 3. So, today is actually day 4 and I am super excited about today because I woke up with additional joint flexibility in my shoulder, which has been thawing after a terrible year long bout of "frozen shoulder". I am extactic! I have nearly full range of motion this morning, which I never thought I'd get back to. My tummy isn't as distended and here is the other amazing news.....I actually slept, uninterrupted from 10:30pm until 4:30am!!! What's even more exciting is that I was then even able to drift back to sleep until 7:10am. This is nothing short of a miracle, folks! I have not slept this soundly for almost five or six years, so I am freaking out!!

Last night, I had the discipline of an Olympic athlete: not one single tortilla chip crossed my lips. Not one sip of a margarita, not one sip of soda or tea even. Just plain old ice cold water! Wow! My meal consisted of grilled chicken with sautéed veges, and spicy pico. It was so incredibly flavorful. I truly did not miss the platter of beans and rice etc, etc, etc. I had an out of body experience when I got in the car thinking, "no way did I just do that! " truly, a winner of a day, and an example of stick-to-it-ness that I haven't experienced in a very long time. The best part is my reward: my slowly thawing shoulder is almost completely thawed!

My inner confidence seems to be peaking out around the corner, so watch out! I just might get up the nerve to go to the gym sometime this week! Crazy, I know. The truth is I've been feeling so poorly, some of which is due to that constant blech feeling I always had, but much of it due to embarrassment that I have gained 30 pounds and can't, or should I say couldn't, seem to do much about it. I felt a lot of shame about my weight gain, and find/found myself avoiding places I used to go on a daily basis in fear of running in to people. I acknowledge Ive stepped much closer to, if not into, the "she really let herself go" category. The " she really looks good" category seems a long ways off, but now at least it's on the horizon. Even if it's at a very far distance. It's there now, and boy! Does that feel good.

Just remember that everyone at the gym is obsessed with their own insecurities too. It's hard to believe, but it's true. Go, smile, and do your thing. It will be another one of those mind blowing victories - you will feel like a badas&*!

Day 5! I woke up early...weird body heat regulation last night...either too hot or too cold, almost like a hot flash. Two great things to report: first, I wasn't as stiff as I though I'd be after my long walk yesterday, and my shoulder feels looser. Also, my feet weren't screaming in agony when I got out of bed, which is usually the case after that long walk. I do feel a bit bluesy this morning. Things are settling in now, the program is not brand new do that's probably part of it. It's like being on the long airplane ride to Hawaii, I guess...I'm starting to approach cruising altitude and now need to settle in for the next five hours, or thirty days. It'd sure be nice to go to the Big Island after this is all done!

Now that'd be a real treat!

Mid day lunch was sheer perfection: Chicken, snap peas, jicama, and this yummy sauce I created with Tahini, lime juice, water, and coconut aminos, which spell check wanted to call "amigos" and I do have to say that spell check is right because I believe coconut aminos have become by new BFF! Anyway, this saucy stuff was about as close to heaven as I've gotten these past five days, so I'm super excited to discover such a concoction.

When I was on my walk yesterday I started to count all the diets I've tried, some with some success most with no success: 

The first was when I was in grade school: my mom slipped AYDS (I think that was the name) chocolate candies (of all things to give an over weight adolescent) into a dresser drawer.

"Why don't you try these when you're feeling hungry, honey?" she quietly said. 

My last diet was the Paleo, or some version of it that I personally meshed together. The end result was an altered version, changed enough to fit my habits--I meshed Courdain's Paleo (you could have Diet Soda on that one for some reason) with Primal Blue Print because that one allows cheese, high quality cheese, which is perfect way to rationalize eating dairy: It's high quality!   A year ago I had some allergy testing done which showed I was Highly sensitive to all forms of Dairy, All Eggs, Gluten, Amarath.  Because I'd given up (sort of) those basic paleo no-no's months ago, following my blended paleo program was a breeze, or should I say was a breeze until about 5pm. Then it was wine and beverage hour, and it would all fall apart. It's very hard to keep a clear head on things food related once I have a glass of wine. Because I was eating "high quality" it was easy to think, "well maybe a little bite won't hurt". But it did, and I was.

So, in between my Ayd's candies and my Paleo blend, there have been probably 15 other diets I've tried. That's a lot. None of them worked at developing my relationship with food. They were all band aids on the process. 

I had my weekly private yoga class this morning. My neighbor is a yoga instructor, who has her own studio in her back yard. It's this beautiful mini structure that feels like a tree fort once inside. Fall sunlight filtered thru the trees, which made the hour all the more restorative. I am a beginner (this was my third session), with very limited flexibility so we move slowly, very slowly. Proceeding slowly is a relatively new skill I'm learning.

I was one of those chronic exercisers who got in to the gym and gotter done. Hit the Stairclimber to level 10 and go for an hour. I was (and still am in my heart) a Marathon runner, constantly pushing myself for a faster time, which was actually never really fast but I would push myself hard. 11 to 13 miles was my favorite run. I didn't ever train properly and so when it came time for the longer training runs, and especially race day, I would collapse afterward, exhausted to my core. That exhaustion was the sign of a job well done, or so I thought.

Then I got cancer. And life changed. The beauty of cancer is it forces you to stop what you're doing and slow down. You have to. You really don't have a choice. Life is never the same.

There's a sentence in the Whole30 rules that says something in regards to the program being hard, "but you aren't fighting cancer"...I laughed when I read that because at the onset of this program I actually felt that this may be harder. It's not, but on Day One, I wondered. One thing I know for sure is that this program is making me slow down and really think about the foods I'm eating and how they affect me physically. I always felt that the foods I was eating contributed to my cancer. My doctors might beg to differ, but I know in my heart this is true. On a breast cancer support site, quite a few of us who were diagnosed before the age of 50 were HUGE soda drinkers...not in one or two cans a day, but consuming lab rat quantities: I drank basically a six pack a day for years. I was truly addicted and still am. Yes, I drank water, but I drank so much diet coke it was crazy. Everyone thought Aspartame was harmless, although now we know that's not true. Now we know it is very harmful, and we also know there were lots of very well respected scientists who begged to keep aspartame out of the food supply. What is crazy is that even after my diagnosis I still drank the stuff. Yes, I got my number of cans way down, but it really wasn't unlike a cigarette smoker, diagnosed with lung cancer, rationalizing having only "one a day"--

I am lucky. My cancer was diagnosed early. I am currently 19 months away from being cured. Every day when I drank a diet soda, I had this nagging feeling in the back of my head "don't do it". As if I was testing fate. 

Five days into this program, I find myself more reflective in regards to food and the daily choices I made and currently make. I understand I have a say in the matter, which gives me a much stronger sense of being in control of my health. This is a victory for sure, and it's only day 5.

I have completed Day 5, and had many victories today: both my shoulders were looser than they were during last week's yoga class, I took time to sit on the grass in the sun and rub my dog's belly, I was able to fix dinner for my family without any temptation to taste it, and I consistently kept the kitchen clean and dishwasher unloaded, which frankly is a miracle because I hate cleaning the kitchen and unloading the dishwasher. In fact, I despise it so much, I'd rather have three dishwashers than cupboards just so I never have to unload one again.

I also feel more settled, not so rushed and generally more hopeful and happy. It's been a good day, this fifth day.

Archived