Starting 11/1

StaceyT

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

I, like all of you, started my Whole 30 on November 1st.  I am married, with three kids, but I am doing it alone.  It has been going really well so far!  I have had some situations which I thought would be a big challenge that I handled quite well.  I went out with friends and stayed completely compliant, watching as they had drinks and dessert.  We celebrated my son's birthday on Wednesday, making fondue and baking a cake and the whole nine yards!  I am preparing for Thanksgiving, but honestly don't think it will be too challenging, as there are so many vegetable side dishes I could make, and I'll make sure my mom, who is hosting the meal, knows of my dietary restrictions, regarding the turkey.

i joined the Facebook page as well.

I started 11/2 so its day 13 for me and everything is going well.  Today was the first day of deer season.  My freezer is filling up with fresh venison, and my cold frames are producing tons of fresh greens.  Other than the 50K I signed up for Dec 5th I am feeling pretty good about everything...  :)

Hi all! Does anyone know if the FB group is accepting members still? I submitted a request but haven't been added. 
So... doing this with the hubs and am doing ok so far. Still waiting for the Tiger Blood. Also wondering if I am going to lose weight at all on this. My clothes feel really tight. 
But loving the food.

• Administrators

Hi all! Does anyone know if the FB group is accepting members still? I submitted a request but haven't been added. 

I too am waiting to join the Facebook group. Very strange. 

Just to let you guys know, the Facebook pages aren't associated with the Whole30 organization in any way.  There are so many of them out there, it's the Wild West.  

Maybe you both knew that but I just wanted to make sure that anyone happening across this is aware that the lack of response (and the information contained in the groups for the most part) is not Whole30 sanctioned.   :)

@kerik68 my solution to dishes is to make lots of stews & skillet meals ... and my skillet is cast iron so I just "wipe & go" (...is that like Mop 'n Glo'?? :-D)

@mcook good luck on the ultra ... I've only ever gone as a 10k but I see at least one marathon in my future.

@weedarkone Tiger Blood is my new normal!!! Well, OK, maybe not exactly, but I think a lot of the TB hype can be pretty subjective. It could be that you weren't "that bad" before, so the difference you feel might not be as extreme as someone else.

But anyhow, I figure if I am hitting all the high points -- eating, sleeping, hydration, stress management, productivity, positivity, physical activity, etc. -- then I'm doing muxh better than delusional Charlie Sheen Tiger Red Water.

I agree about all the dishes! And no tiger blood for me yet. And in the mornings I never feel like jumping out of bed.

I'm concerned that I'm eating too much fat. Is anyone else? I know the program says to cook with fat and then add extra fat, but it just seems like a lot. And I don't feel leaner even on day 16. Maybe I'm overdoing it with the avocados and macadamia nuts and olives and coconut milk on top of the cooking fat? I feel like I'm following the template. Maybe I'm just not used to eating such rich foods.

What serving sizes are you using for your added fats on top of the cooking fats littlebuehouse?

Are you feeling it that it's too much in your body, or in your head due to leftover conventional wisdom advocating low-fat?

So, those of you on Facebook, is THAT where the action is for us November folks? :-/

2/3rds of the way there, people!

Oh, in other news, I will be able to combine a work trip with a side trip, so I'm going to get paid to be with my family on Thanksgiving! My nieces and nephews don't know I'm coming, so that will be a fun surprise. :-D

Hi Kirkor! I'm trying to aim for about two thumbfuls of fat per meal. Like half an avocado, or a handful of macadamia nuts or olives (though with those I sometimes do two handfuls). Or a couple tablespoons of dressing... It might be in my head because I'm so used to a low-fat diet. But I also feel like on day 18 my body feels just as fleshy and muffin-toppy as it did on day 1. (I'm very lean to begin with, so I knew I wouldn't drop a ton of weight, but I was hoping I would feel/see more a difference in my body at this point).

Facebook is moderately active (though I'm just a lurker there) and super duper supportive. 

Last night I snacked on sunflower seeds and a banana with almond butter - all compliant, but mad at myself anyway because I should have just brushed my teeth and gone to bed. I had a dream that I accidentally ate a bag of goldfish crackers. Was so upset that I'd have to start the Whole30 over. I'm glad it was just a dream!

How did everyone fare during the "big day" yesterday? Don't know if you saw my post, but there was no turkey for me.  I had bought some regular ol' chicken thighs the day before, so I baked those to eat during dinner time with everyone else.  Had olives and some hard boiled eggs that I'd set aside from when I made devilled eggs for everyone else. I was a guest for the holiday, so that's why I didn't make homemade mayo for the devilled eggs, I just used what they had on hand, which was standard mayo.

It's interesting, I've been gluten free for quite a few years even before Whole30, so most of the items served were not very tempting --- I'm used to and fine with saying no to stuffing, etc.  My sister made this super fancy mac-and-cheese with gruyere, parmesan, bacon, onion, etc etc which looked pretty darn good, so I might try to make that minus the noodles and put it over chicken or something post-W30.

Since I was travelling I didn't get to make the compliant green bean casserole like I wanted to, but maybe I'll give that a go at Christmas.

Saw The Good Dinosaur movie with my nieces and nephews.  Pretty entertaining, but I was particularly blown away by the animation of the nature scenes: water, clouds, trees, rocks, etc.  I honestly wondered several times throughout the film if they had used live footage as well as animation.

Archived