Starting 11/1

StaceyT

I am starting November 1st as well along with an acquaintance of mine that works at Orange Theory. We are both in our 40's. I am looking to see if any of my food choices are causing IBS issues and to try break my sugar cravings. I've been eating gluten free and pretty healthy for the last couple of years, but I believe I will still get benefits from doing the program. I'll be the only one in my house doing it (for now at least).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone - I'm in too for November 1st.  This will be my first time and I will be doing it alone, my husband and two teenagers don't want any part of it.  I don't think it hit them yet that they will be responsible for preparing their own meals for the next 30 days!

I would appreciate if those that have done the program can share some of the things that you did to prepare before starting your whole 30. I know from reading the book (and probably just common sense) that planning is key. I want to try to plan out my meals for the entire 30 days but it seems a bit overwhelming. I have been looking at the recipes in the book but some are a little more complex than I can imagine being able to accomplish with my schedule  and what I have available. I am a bit concerned about my budget for groceries.

@resilientcORE

No need to give the budget a second thought --- you can rock a W30 just fine with ground beef, eggs, chicken, broccoli, potatoes, and other inexpensive things.

Regarding recipes:

e0239734bbaec7e921d58b4ddec1220f.jpg

I make boring things pretty much every day and, for me anyway, once my palate adjusted to less processed/sugary food, it seemed like I get all the enjoyment I need from simple things.

Seasonings are your friend, and I use plenty of salt, pepper, garlic, hot sauce, mustard, vinegars, etc., in various dishes.

Leftovers will be your best friend --- always cook extra dinner so you can have lunch the next day.

Cook proteins in batches: have shredded chicken ready to go, hardboiled eggs, etc.

Keep compliant tuna, sardines, etc., on hand for those "oh shoot" moments, or when you just don't feel like cooking.

Hey everyone!!  I am starting Nov 1st as well!  Hello from Detroit, MI :D 

I made a Facebook group for us if anyone is interested in joining!  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1646998128905449/

I think that link should work - if not search:  Whole30 Challenge | NOV 1st START DATE!

Let's do this!!!

Brigid

Brigid thank you so much! The link worked! Now I am even more excited!

I am starting round two today. Lost 22 pounds first time around back in July, and have kept the weight off. Hoping to lose another 10 to 15 before Thanksgiving. Whole 30 is a great program - just stay focused and follow your meal plans, and try not to snack between meals as recommended.

Good luck all.

Hi

I am going to join you. I recently completed one and want to do another. I only ate compliant food for those 30 days and felt great! But this time, I will still eat only compliant food but want to focus more on portions and the adhere more to the meal template. I still have much to learn and implement.

If we do FB, not sure moderators participate and I found them very helpful. So, I may stay on this site but have requested FB access to your group just in case.

My only advice is to prep a lot of food on weekends. Cook veggies and protein to have on hand during the week.

Good luck everyone!

• Moderators

Hi

I am going to join you. I recently completed one and want to do another. I only ate compliant food for those 30 days and felt great! But this time, I will still eat only compliant food but want to focus more on portions and the adhere more to the meal template. I still have much to learn and implement.

If we do FB, not sure moderators participate and I found them very helpful. So, I may stay on this site but have requested FB access to your group just in case.

My only advice is to prep a lot of food on weekends. Cook veggies and protein to have on hand during the week.

Good luck everyone!

No, moderators don't moderate facebook groups. That doesn't mean they can't still be helpful, though -- people often find them more convenient than logging on to the forums, and if you get a good group of people, it can be a great support.

For anyone participating in this or any facebook group, this article has some tips to help you get the most out of your experience: http://whole30.com/2015/07/support-groups-2/

Hi! Just asked to join the FB group. I live in Massachusetts and have three kids (6, 4, and 3) and a wine-loving, carb-loving husband. I've tried to use food to feel better before (couple years ago was vegan for a full year) and I'm still searching for my dietary click-point (to steel a KonMari term!).

I'm not going to lie... Breakfast is going to be HARD... I'm not a morning person and avoiding my kids bagels will be tough! Making fresh eggs? Meh... Microwaving pre-cooked egg-muffins... Meh....

I'm going to make some inspirational phrases on postit notes and place them all around the kitchen... Accountability is going to be huge for me! I need you guys!

Good luck everybody!!!

• Moderators

I'm not going to lie... Breakfast is going to be HARD... I'm not a morning person and avoiding my kids bagels will be tough! Making fresh eggs? Meh... Microwaving pre-cooked egg-muffins... Meh....

Egg muffins, breakfast casseroles, and frittatas are really not bad cold, but when I do want them heated, I wrap them in foil and put them in my toaster oven, or you could heat them up in a skillet. 

Also consider that breakfast doesn't have to be eggs. Many people find it helpful to think in terms of meal 1, meal 2, and meal 3 -- anything that's good for one meal is good for any other. There's a discussion with lots of non-egg breakfast ideas here. Soup is a popular choice -- I like a creamy butternut squash soup, topped with whatever protein I have on hand, and then I try to add some more vegetables as well.

I decided tonight to start 11/1. I sprained my ankle so I am hoping to help adjust my eating while I can't run. I also enjoy adjusting my eating style as the seasons change. I am happy to join a group on the forum, but not FB.

Thanks and good luck to all!

I sprained my ankle so I am hoping to help adjust my eating while I can't run.

I broke my leg years ago, and that's what started me on the whole paleo-ish/"caring about what I eat" journey --- I figured if I was going to be laid up for such a long time after leading a relatively active lifestyle, I'd better get my diet in check.

I hope you don't mind if I join your November 1st group even if I'm not starting until November 2nd?

This will be my first ever Whole 30 and will be doing it with my husband and our 24 year old daughter who is only here during the week for work. I'm excited and terrified.

@resilientcORE

No need to give the budget a second thought --- you can rock a W30 just fine with ground beef, eggs, chicken, broccoli, potatoes, and other inexpensive things.

Regarding recipes:

e0239734bbaec7e921d58b4ddec1220f.jpg

I make boring things pretty much every day and, for me anyway, once my palate adjusted to less processed/sugary food, it seemed like I get all the enjoyment I need from simple things.

Seasonings are your friend, and I use plenty of salt, pepper, garlic, hot sauce, mustard, vinegars, etc., in various dishes.

Leftovers will be your best friend --- always cook extra dinner so you can have lunch the next day.

Cook proteins in batches: have shredded chicken ready to go, hardboiled eggs, etc.

Keep compliant tuna, sardines, etc., on hand for those "oh shoot" moments, or when you just don't feel like cooking.

Thank you so much! This is simple but pretty helpful I will definitely spend tomorrow doing some more planning and go shopping saturday to start cooking for sunday! I am super excited now..and nervous..is not my first time attempting to make the commitment but i feel more prepared than I have in past attempts

I would appreciate if those that have done the program can share some of the things that you did to prepare before starting your whole 30. I know from reading the book (and probably just common sense) that planning is key. I want to try to plan out my meals for the entire 30 days but it seems a bit overwhelming. I have been looking at the recipes in the book but some are a little more complex than I can imagine being able to accomplish with my schedule  and what I have available. I am a bit concerned about my budget for groceries.

I'll give you what I do. I make sure my refrigerator is loaded with healthy ingredients, do the purge (as in, hide my husband's junk food), and then prep veggies. I also load up on easy travel stuff for emergencies like canned tuna and olives. Basically, I set myself up to never be in a position where I'm hungry and don't have options and I never rely on being able to just pick up food somewhere. So, canned tuna lives on my body when I'm not home!

I actually don't meal plan anymore because I do a lot of meat+veggies+fat type cooking and just use what I have on hand. Really, this is the way to go. Attempt a fancy recipe once or twice a week, but for the most part build your plate the way they recommend. The cool thing about eating this way is cooking is usually pretty fast, especially if you also prep-cooked some meats at the start of your week! 

Bonjour from Montreal, Canada!

Starting tomorrow 11/1 as well! This is going to be huge for me, I am super excited but really nervous about the sugar widthdrawl. I read through the timeline in the book and it's a bit scary to be honest! I know it's not supposed to be a smooth ride (for some it is), but with my history of bad habits and sugar addiction, I am going to try and be optimistic.

Anyways, good luck to everyone!

What's the plan for breakfast (sorry, uh, I mean "Meal #1) tomorrow morning? Still not 100% sure of what I'm planning to eat in week 1, I'll be working on that day by day.

I am starting tomorrow too and am so excited. This is just a 'restart' for me, it's the start of a new life.  I'm ready to leave the sugar, the crappy feelings, the bloating, the bingeing all behind me. IAt 45 I'm too old to keep living in this cycle. I requested to join the FB group, so happy that's an option!  Let's rock this!

Archived