Coconut allergies

Hi! I'm brand new, haven't started the whole 30 yet, just getting together information. I have both books, ISWF and Whole 30, and I noticed that coconut in many forms is used in many recipes. I currently have an allergy to coconut, but is there anything else I can use, other then just water? And has anyone ever "cured" food allergies after whole 30? Thank you!

When you say is there anything else I can use other than water I assume you mean to drink?

You can drink herbal/fruit teas so long as the ingredients are compliant, fruit infused water, kombucha (so long as no sugar has been used in the 2nd ferment), as well as a few varieties of La Croix.

Coconut water, whilst compliant, is a light fruit juice & really for use during endurance events or for those who are particularly prone to dehydration through work.

As for 'curing' a food allergy - if it's a genuine allergy this is unlikely. An intolerance however can be improved by removal of the offending food from the diet to allow the gut to heal, followed by reintroduction - in my experience the general recommended time-frame for this though is around 8wks.

Hope this helps.

In that case you've lots of options...

Tallow, duck fat, schmaltz, ghee, lard, olive oil, nut/seed oils, avocados & avocado oil are all good for cooking with.

You could also use bone broth for stock in soups & various other dishes.

Focus on what you CAN use & you'll do fine  :)

I'm not allergic to coconut, but I really hate the taste. For cooking fats, I use any of the options jmcbn mentioned. Really the only other thing I see a lot is coconut milk, and generally I just avoid any recipe that has that as a major component (curries, for example). There are still tons of options!

Are there specific recipes you're concerned about?

Melissa Joulwan (Well Fed) suggests subbing chicken broth or home-made mayo for the coconut milk in her cauliflower mash recipe.

The fat is just to give the creamy texture so I guess you could use any of the ones mentioned above too. I reckon bacon fat would be pretty good!

• Administrators

Melissa Joulwan (Well Fed) suggests subbing chicken broth or home-made mayo for the coconut milk in her cauliflower mash recipe.

The fat is just to give the creamy texture so I guess you could use any of the ones mentioned above too. I reckon bacon fat would be pretty good!

I have used a dollop of lard as a butter replacement in cauli and potato mash.  As mentioned, it's just for the texture so it works well.  Alternatively you could just not drain the steamed cauliflower all the way, leave just a bit of moisture in it and add your garlic, parsley, salt and pepper and then puree it.  Works just as well, comes out just slightly "grainy-er" than if you can add some kind of fat with it.

I make the Nom Nom Paleo version of cauliflower mash, which doesn't call for anything to make it creamy - just some ghee for flavor. (Note: the link uses grassfed butter; use ghee/clarified butter if you're on a Whole30. Or the bacon fat sounds pretty amazing too!)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1657598867/best-make-ahead-side-garlic-cauliflower-mashed

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I also have an internal coconut allergy and would like substitute that adds a bit of sweetness, not just the fat. I loved making thai dishes with coconut milk, but eating a lot of the milk and oil put me in the hospital! How can I add sweetness? I am thinking of ghee and a touch of apple cider to flavor poultry dishes, along with sage and onion. I think that's compliant, right?

• Administrators

Hi, I also have an internal coconut allergy and would like substitute that adds a bit of sweetness, not just the fat. I loved making thai dishes with coconut milk, but eating a lot of the milk and oil put me in the hospital! How can I add sweetness? I am thinking of ghee and a touch of apple cider to flavor poultry dishes, along with sage and onion. I think that's compliant, right?

Absolutely it is!  

You can also throw in a grape or two in a chicken dish (don't go crazy). I really love ghee for added flavor and duck fat :)

Archived