Winter soups?

acjohnston09

There are some excellent ones over on the Well Fed Website www.meljoulwan.com - "ginger zucchini and golden cauliflower are favorites as well as her chocolate chili. She has more. Why not make some of your favorite recipes compliant? I make vegetable soup with whatever I have on hand, some bone broth and some sort of protein.

Hello again!  :)  I prefer the Well Fed site, as QuilterinVa mentioned, but the Chowstalker site gathers up lots of recipes from lots of sites so it's an easy search. Just be aware that the recipes are "paleo-inspired" and not necessarily compliant. Read first!

Lots of yummy food to be had, isn't there?! 

There are some excellent ones over on the Well Fed Website www.meljoulwan.com - "ginger zucchini and golden cauliflower are favorites as well as her chocolate chili. She has more. Why not make some of your favorite recipes compliant? I make vegetable soup with whatever I have on hand, some bone broth and some sort of protein.

I can make some of them compliant, but some of them just wouldn't be as good because a key ingredient, like beans or tortellini are missing. I always like to get other people's favorites. I also like to try ones that people have made and enjoyed as a little bit of time insurance. :-) I will try the giner zucchine and golden cauliflower. That sounds good. I haven't had a ton of luck with recipes in from the Well Fed book but I can check out her site. Thanks!

Hello again!  :)  I prefer the Well Fed site, as QuilterinVa mentioned, but the Chowstalker site gathers up lots of recipes from lots of sites so it's an easy search. Just be aware that the recipes are "paleo-inspired" and not necessarily compliant. Read first!

Lots of yummy food to be had, isn't there?!

If you have any that you have tried and liked let me know! Thanks!

I love an easy pumpkin soup. Sauté onion, celery, , Apple and carrot in EVOO. add that, couple cups of broth, nutmeg, cinnamon, s&p, and a can of pumpkin to the crockpot. Put on low for few hours. Blend in food processor. Add a can of coconut milk

SO good.

I was going to try to re create Olive Garden's Tuscana soup to make it compliant by replacing the heavy cream with coconut milk, and using homemade pork sausage instead of the sausage with added sugar that the recipe calls for.  I will let you know how it turns out.  

I love an easy pumpkin soup. Sauté onion, celery, , Apple and carrot in EVOO. add that, couple cups of broth, nutmeg, cinnamon, s&p, and a can of pumpkin to the crockpot. Put on low for few hours. Blend in food processor. Add a can of coconut milk

SO good.

Oh my gosh, this sounds so good. Definitly going to try this.

I was going to try to re create Olive Garden's Tuscana soup to make it compliant by replacing the heavy cream with coconut milk, and using homemade pork sausage instead of the sausage with added sugar that the recipe calls for.  I will let you know how it turns out.  

Please do! I would love to hear how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Right now I'm working through a big batch of the golden cauliflower mentioned above (zucchini, you're next!). The one I did before this was a "pear celery" (sounds strange I know, but I was looking to use up some mushy pears, and it turned out DELISH). Found the recipe here

http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/celery-and-pear-soup-10759

I am absolutely loving the veggie soups as my breakfast side dish.

I also made a chunky protein including (simply leftover ground beef) cabbage soup for lunches. My bf LOVED that one! It was beyond simple to make....can't remember off hand where that recipe came from.

I just made a Parsnip Pear Soup....

Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients
1 lb (450 g) parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1-inch (5-cm) chunks
2 pears, peeled, cored and cut into 
4 wedges
1 small white onion, chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 tsp (5 ml) sea salt
½ tsp (2 ml) freshly ground 
black pepper
4 cups (1 l) bone broth, divided (I used a combo of beef & veg stock)
1 tbsp (15 ml) freshly chopped thyme

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place parsnips, pear, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan and toss until well combined. Place pan in preheated oven and roast for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is tender and caramelized.

2. Pour 1 cup (250 ml) of stock over the mixture on the roasting pan and stir, scraping up any caramelized bits that have stuck to the bottom.

3. Purée the roasted mixture in small batches in a blender or food processor along with remaining 3 cups stock. Pour the mixture into a large pot and heat thoroughly over medium-high heat. Transfer to bowls, garnish with thyme and drizzle with some additional olive oil if desired.

I just made a Parsnip Pear Soup....

Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

1 lb (450 g) parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1-inch (5-cm) chunks

2 pears, peeled, cored and cut into 
4 wedges

1 small white onion, chopped

2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil

1 tsp (5 ml) sea salt

½ tsp (2 ml) freshly ground 
black pepper

4 cups (1 l) bone broth, divided (I used a combo of beef & veg stock)

1 tbsp (15 ml) freshly chopped thyme

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place parsnips, pear, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large roasting pan and toss until well combined. Place pan in preheated oven and roast for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is tender and caramelized.

2. Pour 1 cup (250 ml) of stock over the mixture on the roasting pan and stir, scraping up any caramelized bits that have stuck to the bottom.

3. Purée the roasted mixture in small batches in a blender or food processor along with remaining 3 cups stock. Pour the mixture into a large pot and heat thoroughly over medium-high heat. Transfer to bowls, garnish with thyme and drizzle with some additional olive oil if desired.

This sounds delish - thanks for sharing

• Administrators

I just made Nom Nom Paleo Quick Cream of Tomato Soup.  So very good.  

I will point out that I did NOT do what she suggests about puréeing half of it and then adding the other half back and then blending that and then re-simmering, way too fussy for me.  I just sautéed the alliums in the soup pot and then added all the rest of the ingredients minus the coconut milk. Simmered it for awhile, puréed it with my immersion blender and then stirred in the coconut milk.  SO dead easy and delicious!  I'll never buy tomato soup again!

I'm going to be trying some of these.

I make a sausage and greens soup that is pretty good. I take spicy sausage (compliant brand or just use ground meat & spices), kale or swiss chard chopped up (I use fresh), chopped spinach, onions, (I use frozen) can of tomatoes, broth, and if I want to make it a bit more filling chopped potatoes.  Even my DH who doesn't like most things I make likes it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived