Big Fish Brand Fish Sauce

Janine Costanzo

So I bought a brand of fish sauce called "Big Fish Brand Fish Sauce" from a local ethnic supermarket. It's imported from Vietnam I believe. I got it because the ingredients are listed as simply: "Anchovy Extract, Water, Salt"

However, today I was looking at the nutrition facts label, and under the "Sugars" part, it says "less than 1g". Does this make sense? Where would be the sugar be coming from if it's not in the list of ingredients? Is there actually hidden/unlisted sugar in here, or is it just a natural source of sugar (from the anchovies, I guess?) and I shouldn't worry about it? I have used it for one or two meals during my Whole30 (I'm on day 18), and I'm not worried about needing to start over since it would have been such a tiny amount of added sugar (if it is indeed added and not natural sugar), but if it's not good to have I'll need to find something else.

I know that Red Boat Fish Sauce is what's usually recommended here, but I wanted to try something I can find in stores because it's expensive to buy it online (it's not eligible for Amazon Prime, and the shipping cost isn't negligible).

Thanks!

I have not seen that sauce, but I can tell you the Sunday Bacon from Applegate is the same way. It has no sugar listed, but in the nutrition facts, it says <1 gram sugars. There's a weird FDA law that says they can do that. I don't eat that bacon while on Whole30 because of it. I just looked at my Red Boat Fish Sauce and it says Ingredients: Anchovies and salt. So...I wonder if it's the Anchovy Extract that contains the sugar. Do you have a local Whole Foods? That is where I found mine.

Archived