Day 18 Please Help!

KimberleeR

Hi,

I am on day 18. I have been very diligent at my first whole 30 program aside from a few lara bars (in emergency situations) and consuming extra nuts the fist week. Anyway, when I started my 4 goals and big "whys?" where: 

1. Weight loss (I have gained 25 pounds in last two years due to medical issues

2. migraines

3. I want to get off sugar and not be addicted any more. I want to be in control of food and not let food control me!

4. Increase my energy level. Not be tired all the time.

So I went to the doctor on day 15 and THEY weighed me and I weigh exactly the same. Very frustrating because I am eating so well and exercising regularly. My doctor even recommended putting me on a weight loss medication ( I am 5'7 and weigh 157) this was so humiliating! I've always been the skinny girl.

Usually when I eat well- especially when I get off sugar and simple carbs, and exercise, the weight comes off very quickly. I also still have at least one severe headache or migraine per day. I do have increased energy and better control over food.

I am just wondering if the weight changes usually come off at the end of the 30 days or if it usually takes longer. I was planning on doing this for 45 days anyways. But why have I not lost anything??? I am sleeping well and my stress level is moderate to low right now.

Thank,

Kimberlee

• Administrators

Your doctor wants to put you on weight loss medication at your height and weight? With all due respect, get another doctor.  That is absolutely ridiculous.  My blood is boiling for you right now.

We don't want people weighing for so many reasons.  Check out these articles linked below for more of the perspective on why that number on the scale really means nothing.

If you can post a few typical days of consumption (including portions), meal timing, fluids, stress, exercise and anything else that might be relevant (breastfeeding, pregnant, auto immune or gut conditions), we can take a look and see if anything stands out that might be inhibiting your progress.

http://whole30.com/step-seven/

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/5-reasons-to-break-up-with-your-scale/

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Your doctor wants to put you on weight loss medication at your height and weight? With all due respect, get another doctor.  That is absolutely ridiculous.

That was my thought, also.  Really.  Seriously.  Glad you said it!

OP -- what sort of exercise are you doing, in particular?  How much, how often, what type?  I really wonder if you are overdoing it.

That weight and height give you a BMI of 24.6. That is in normal range. The high end of normal, but for real...not even in the overweight category. The weight loss drugs available are pretty hard on your body, and while they can be a great tool, they should be used judiciously. I second the recommendation to get a new doctor (or try a nurse practitioner!). If you come out of an appointment feeling humiliated about your weight when your weight is appropriate for your height you are seeing a terrible practitioner.

I'm pretty new at this too and on day 27. Most of what I've seen on the forums is that weight loss is more common in the latter part of the Whole30 so it might still be on its way. 

Thank you for your help! 

My doctor said I have "abnormal weight gain." Well, that could be because I was diagnosed with Two different types of tick diseases this summer that really kicked me in the pants. Then just as I stared feeling better, I broke my rib water skiing so I was not able to run and exercise for a few months.

So right now I am running 3-4  miles, or spinning or doing barre or yoga  each day (one of these not all each day). My goal is to exercise for at least 1- 1.5 hours per day. As far as food goes: here is a typical day:

Breakfast:

3 egg omelet with sausage, mushrooms and spinach, 20 ounces of water with a splash of unsweetened cranberry juice (like a tablespoon at most), 3-4 grapes.

Lunch:

Leftovers from last night:

Chicken curry (1 breast)

1 cup of cauliflower rice

1/2 cup raspberries or apple

Dinner: 

Shrimp romanesco

1 cup leftover cauliflower rice

I may have a small snack of plain almonds and raw coconut.  And as I said before, I have on occasion, had a Lara bar for breakfast with some protein. I suffer from very intense migraines which make me very nauseous. Sometimes that's the only thing that sounds good. I'm also wondering if the strong pain medicine my doctor has me take when the migraines won't stop play a factor. I don't think the migraines are food related. I have degenerative disk disease in my neck and arthritis, so I obviously have physical issues. I just thought maybe the food I was eating was making them worse.

• Administrators

Given the tick diseases, the broken ribs, the chronic migraines and the degenerating discs and arthritis, I don't think that your weight gain of 25# in two years is even remotely abnormal. Of course I'm obviously not a doctor, just a person who is looking at a dynamic, fluctuating human being and thinking that maybe her body isn't prioritizing any sort of weight loss or maintenance right now.

I'm also considering that if this beautiful woman was anything like me, for the last two years she may or may not have been comforting herself with sugar or alcohol or potato chips or Netflix on a more-than-occasional basis.  Combined with a lack of exercise, injury recovery, chronic illnesses and debilitating pain, I might give this person a frigging break and let her know that she's just fine and that all of these circumstances probably give a pretty good clue as to why she's gained weight.

If you told us that you were in perfect health with perfect sleep and perfect nutrition and perfect exercise patterns with perfect stress levels and perfect everything else and that you had mysteriously gained 25 pounds over 2 years, then ya, I could see that being abnormal.  But that's not the case here.  

Your meals look fine to me. If you are hungry enough to snack between meals, first make the next meal larger to get 4-5 hours run between. This helps your hormones and digestion adjust. Second, make any "snack" into a mini meal with protein, fat and veggies, preferably. If you can't manage all of that then at least two of the three (and try to avoid the fruit/fat combo).  I get the migraines and the larabars, when I used to get horrid migraines the only thing I could stomach was sugar and/or carbs.  Try to limit those bars though and see if you can get by with a sweet potato and ghee or coconut oil instead.  Same carbiness that your migraine needs but less destructive to your blood sugars.

• Moderators

The main reason that people lose weight while doing a Whole30 is their hormones begin to help with instead of fight against fat loss. They speed the metabolism and send a message to the body that it is okay to release fat to burn as energy. Some people gain the help of their hormones quickly and some take longer. I have known people who did everything right for 6-8 weeks in a row before the magic happens. I started experiencing magic in 2 weeks. 

I'm concerned that exercising 1.5 hours per day may be too aggressive after a long layoff. I say this as someone who has repeatedly injured himself by going too far, too fast. :) Sometimes less is more, even with exercise. You might benefit from investigating the gentle workouts of Original Strength resets - rocking, crawling, rolling, head nods, diaphragmatic breathing - http://originalstrength.net/ 

I will add to Tom's exercise advice above, my own anecdotal evidence: Multiple times I have noticed fat loss -- not weight loss, there is a difference -- when I had to back off my workouts for one reason or another and just focus on walking, eating WELL, and getting really great sleep.

Sometimes you can be trying TOO hard. Just think on it. :)

Thank you all so much!! And LadyShanny, I really appreciate your compassion! You nailed it! I have turned to netflix, and carbs way too much because of all the chronic pain. I am going to keep on going and make this a permanent part of my life. I do feel like there is less fat on my stomach. So no more worrying about what the scale says for now. Happy Holidays!

Archived