cashew butter

mtdoades

• Moderators

Yes, as long as it doesn't contain any non-compliant ingredients -- check for sugar or non-compliant oils. As with all nuts & seeds (and the nut/seed butters or nut/seed milks), it's best to use them in moderation, as they're not the best fat source. Also note that many people find cashews/cashew butter to be a food with no brakes, even moreso than almonds or other nuts, possibly because they tend to have a sweetness to them naturally.

Thanks, I don't eat that much peanut butter anyway, so as an alternative to that I don't really want it too much.  Mostly as a snack with apples or carrots and celery occasionally.  Just want to get my ducks in a row before I start in January.

To best get your ducks in a row, instead of focusing on snack ideas, focus on creating meals of protein, vegetables and fat that satiate you for 4-5 hours, consistent with the recommended meal template

For best results and optimal hormonal balance on a Whole30, eat the first meal of the day within 1 hour of waking and then space your meals as described above.

If you find yourself genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini-meal of protein, carb and fat. Again, nuts and nut butters are fats on a Whole30.

You may not eat much peanut butter now, but I am here to tell you that once you have cut out so many other things from your diet -- cashew butter with apples or carrots is going to start having an addictive quality.  You will crave it, and you will want more and more.

As Shannon said, more people here struggle with cashews than any other nut or seed.  That is because cashews have the most carbs ("natural sweetness") of just about any other nut on the planet.  Sunbutter is a close second.

I agree that getting your ducks in a row should just not include fruit & nut butter snacks.  I see people here still eating these things every day, and it's doing them no good.  Can you do a Whole 30 that way?  Sure, you can.  Will you get the most benefit?  No, you won't.  You will still be craving sugary things when you are done, because you fed the sugar dragon fruit & nut butter instead of whatever she was eating before your Whole 30.  

You have to change the habits.

Three big meals per day that are protein+veggie+FAT will take care of this for you.  :)

Wow, you're on an anti-fruit&nut (Dairy Milk Fruit & Nut used to be one of my favourite chocolate bars) crusade, Brewer5!  I do understand why.  My consumption must drive you crazy!  (Although I actually find it EASIER to stop at one handful now that I'm "allowed" to have them vs. when they were "too fatty" for my old ways).  But, I'm almost three weeks almond butter free as of today!  (But yes, I didn't discover Sunbutter until Whole30, and have snacked on it twice in the past few weeks.).

Work in progress!

Actually, GGG, I have never looked at your consumption of anything.  :)

It does not drive me crazy to see people who eat this way...  But it does make me feel sad for them, and it makes me wonder if they will ever truly conquer it.

If someone has grown weary of their addiction, if they are at the end of their rope with it -- they will listen and want to know more.  If they are still deep in the grip of it and in denial, they will dismiss what I have to say and they will make up excuses as to why.

Everyone has a choice.  I hate to see it when people think they don't.

I work in an office and sit most of the day.  Some days I really, really want a snack.  I am working at trying to conquer that craving.  It's almost always never because I'm hungry but bored and tired.  Just trying to come up with alternatives when I cave.  Will try my best not to, but want something better than the vending machine.  Thanks for all the advice.  I do want to get the most I can out of this Whole30.  Guess I should focus on success not so much all the "what ifs". 

• Moderators

I work in an office and sit most of the day. Some days I really, really want a snack. I am working at trying to conquer that craving. It's almost always never because I'm hungry but bored and tired. Just trying to come up with alternatives when I cave. Will try my best not to, but want something better than the vending machine. Thanks for all the advice. I do want to get the most I can out of this Whole30. Guess I should focus on success not so much all the "what ifs".

I think it's pretty normal to hit that point in the afternoon where you want something. Eating large enough meals should help a lot, but as you just said, it's more about being bored and tired than hungry, so focus on ways to address those things. Can you get up and walk around during the afternoon? Getting outside into the sunshine would be ideal, but even walking to the break room to get some water or to the mail room to pick up or drop off mail or just going up and down the stairs once or twice should be enough to break up your day and help with the boredom. Find something else to do even if it's just for a few minutes.

Archived