Iron Supplement on the Whole30?

samantharitter

I believe I have an iron deficiency.  Still need to get this verified via bloodwork, but I have many of the symptoms and I'm a pescatarian, so this has happened before.  Are any brands of iron supplements all right during a Whole30?  Many of them have soy or corn ingredients, or sneaky added sugars.

Please know that it is very difficult for me to get enough iron through diet alone.  As a lady and a pescatarian it's recommended I eat 18-27 mg per day normally.  To recover from a deficiency this increases to >= 60 mg of iron daily.  For comparison a serving of spinach has up to 3.5 mg, a serving of salmon has around 1 mg.  I'd rather not take a supplement but I might have to.

Thanks!

When you have your bloodwork results, if it does show iron deficiency, be sure to discuss next steps with your medical professional to determine root cause and treatment options.

For example, besides nutritional deficiency, other causes can include things like heavy periods, or conditions that diminish iron absorption like leaky gut and celiac disease.

Good to know about Feramax, thanks!  Ah, will definitely go over that with my physician.  Most times doctors are quick to say "it's because you don't eat meat" but it's worth having a real discussion.  We have a history of celiac in my family, and though I don't have it I wouldn't be surprised if something similar turned up.

Archived