9 Belfast Bites

jmcbn

How long have you been off them ? - might join you for a week or 2 - we can compare 

It'll be a week on Wednesday IIRC?

I was wearing the suit I've got on today the day I decided to cut them out after feeling so bloated after breakfast. It feels a lot more comfortable!

I've been eating eggs pretty much every day for maybe 4yrs - as much as I love them I think my system would appear to be glad of the break!

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh.

Kale and I do not work well for breakfast. Don't get me wrong - there's no problem with kale really other than I'm just not feeling the love for kale first thing in the morning. Not today, and not yesterday either. So much so that I didn't actually finish my meal. Not today, and not yesterday either - and that for me is a rare thing indeed. Any other time of the day and kale and I are good.

I should have opted for the roasted veg with my chilli this morning, but I'd had roasted veg with my beef heart stew last night, and I kind of wanted to be sure that what happened yesterday was a real thing. Plus I forgot to get spinach yesterday as a replacement that I know works, and since I don't do starches for breakfast, and have opted not to do cherry tomatoes either my options were somewhat limited.

This is not a habit I want to get into.

Must. Buy. Spinach.

Can you drink commercial herbal teas. I can't.  There are so many items in those commerical herbal teas, they're more upsetting than the plain green teas. Lemongrass, flavors, rooibos, and so on. I'm highly allergic to chicory and it's added to so many teas. My worst case of hives was from chicory which is the main ingredient in fiber one bars.  It took a year for those hive scars to disappear from my entire left side - arm, hand and fingers. Ate them two years ago, will never touch again.  Herbal teas - do they bother you.

I had been drinking a commecial green tea with lemon for a while, but I got awful heartburn from it so I ditched that one.

I'm currently drinking a selection of Pukka Teas  (and I also use these ones for brewing my Booch - HUGE selection of flavours), but my favourite is still the loose leaf China White Monkey I get from a great little treasure cove of a shop up in town. The whole ritual of filling the tea strainer & hanging it over the side of my cup - it feels a little indulgent which is just what the Dr ordered.  B)

I'm definitely not a fan of chicory. My mum and my sister had some weird instant coffee/chicory concoction they picked up somewhere at a bargain price a couple of years ago - no small wonder - I don't drink coffee much these days but I was always a bit of a coffee snob and I thought it was VILE (mind you, it was instant for starters so it probably didn't have much of a chance!!) Weirdly they both LOVED it.   :blink:  :o  :o  :huh:  :wacko:

big-smile2-smiley.gif?1292867555  

All herbal teas give me heartburn.  They're goners.  I cannot drink caffeine after noon,  heartburn.  

How's the Hotel California.  

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair / Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air / Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light / My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim/I had to stop for the night.   There she stood in the doorway; I heard the mission bell.  And I was thinking to myself....jmcbn's Hotel California sounds wonderful right about now.

Ooooo, nooooo.   I guess it's true.   Purple Rain is falling.  :( 

It's been a glorious week here in God's country, and I've been making the most of it with a walk in the sunshine during my lunch break each day, and a good long walk with my boys today. Sunshine lifts everyone's mood - and the world just seems like a much better place.

The nice weather has turned my thoughts to the summer and the trip we have planned to Greece, and I've started putting together a list of places we want to visit so that I can organise an itinerary to make the most of our time. We've also been looking at summer shoes/clothes since both boys have sprouted so much since last year, and I've decided - for the first time ever - that I want a sun hat. A trilby to be precise.

I'm not a hat person. I never have been. Even in winter I go without. I've bought hats - maybe a dozen of them over the years - but they always end up getting donated to my sister who wears hats all the time. I'm not sure what's gotten in to me this year but I'm determined to find one that I like, and actually wear it.

In other news the egg-less trial is going well. It's about 10 days since I cut them out and the on/off pain I was having in my knee has definitely subsided. I thought briefly this morning that it was back (having done a pretty intense spin class last night) but I managed my usual Saturday morning squats, leg presses (both level & incline) & glute kick backs - all of which usually aggravate my knee - without any pain and the knee feels good now so I'm thinking that's a good sign. I'm also noticing less pain in my elbow. This could of course be attributed to the soft tissue massage the physio has been doing and the exercises I've been doing, but I'll take it either way. 

I'm missing eggs though, it has to be said. But I'm going to give it until the end of next week before adding them back in and then I'll try some egg scramble with smoked salmon (yum!) to see how I go. If there's a reaction, or knee pain, I might just have to man up and deal with it - a bit like the avocado.

In other other news I had to buy more bottles today. My scoby's are producing so much Booch right now that my current bottle supply wasn't enough, and since I'm about to bottle another batch there was a bit of an urgency - thanks to TK Maxx I was able to get another x3 Kilner bottles which should keep me going until such times as I can source them cheaper again on line. And then as the weather improves I think I'll probably find I'll drink more of an evening in the garden - ok, IF the weather improves as it should...!!

There's a scientific voice analysis study...Prince and Steven Tyler are at the top of the list for voice range. My dog loves thoses high voices, I do, too. dancing-smiley.gif?1292867580

This is your Hotel California Bottling Co.  Drink as fast as you can.  coffee2-smiley.gif?1292867572

Tomorrow it will be two weeks since I excluded eggs, and I'm feeling good. I can't put my finger on exactly what is different, and it certainly wasn't an immediate thing, but I'm feeling really good - I feel more lean, and less puffy, the pain in my knee (& even my elbow) is definitely subsiding, and I just. feel. good. And that's still including one egg plus a yolk in every batch of mayo...

So I'm thinking...

I'm thinking I'm going to finish my current batch of mayo (tomorrow) and then make a batch of egg free stuff and ride it out for another two weeks to see what I'm like when completely egg free - which will mean no handy salads from the farm shop because their mayo is egg based of course, but I think I can live with that. Yup, I know I can.

I guess this means putting the food trials on hold again, but hey, I'm fine with what I'm eating for now, and rather than muddy the waters I'd much rather figure this all out, one food at a time.

Gah!

THREE attempts at the egg-less mayo and all I got was something resembling wall paper paste. And it didn't smell too good either.

So I've enough flaxseed to get the bowels of a small village moving, and no mayo.

Marvellous.

<off to google>

<insert swear word>

Ok, so I was going to do something I never do and buy mayo. Luckily for me however I can't find an egg-free mayo that is also dairy/gluten/soy/grain/sulphite free, or even one that's made with a decent oil. And as a food snob I'm not willing to compromise.

Having read a little on the AIP protocol I understand that it's more often than not the egg white that causes issues and that most people tolerate the yolk, and mayo made with just the yolk is my personal favourite anyways, however it is recommended that those on the AIP protocol avoid eggs entirely until their gut is healed. Now I'm NOT doing AIP - lots of the allowed foods on AIP cause me a huge amount of digestive distress - but I'm thinking that since it's obviously a gut issue that the same rules will apply, so until I can find me a fail-safe egg-free mayo recipe it looks like I'll have to be mayo-free too. 

This will mean me relying more heavily on fatty cuts of meat/oily fish, olives, and cooking fats a lot more as I can't do avocados, and can tolerate only small amounts of coconut milk.

It just keeps getting better!!  :wacko:

So..... anybody need any walls papering...?  :lol:

CCanCCan you tolerate avocado oil if you can't eat avocados.

1 cup unrefined macadamia nut oil

1 egg

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/4 tsp ground mustard seed

Salt and pepper to taste

Doh!!  :D

Sooo,  upon further reading...avocado oil doesn't bother one like raw avocados.  Yay!

(I have no idea what happened to the cans up there)^^^

Yep, one tablespoon is the recommended maximum serving according to Monash University which, considering there are other ingredients in those mayo recipes, *should* be fine... 

Doh!!  :D

Yep, one tablespoon is the recommended maximum serving according to Monash University which, considering there are other ingredients in those mayo recipes, *should* be fine... 

I get the yolk...thought you might tweek it with just the yolk. black-eye1-smiley.gif?1292867556

So, I bought the avocado oil....

I'm opting to try the avocado & EVOO oil recipe. I thought this was the best option since I only tolerate small amounts of coconut milk, and with coconut butter being made from the flesh I thought the coconut butter AND avocado oil was pushing it a bit - plus I'd have had to fork out for the coconut butter too as it's not something I keep as a staple. Now I just have to dig out my stand mixer from the back of my cupboard and see if the thing still actually works after all these years.... I'd try it in the food processor but since the recipe clearly states 'stand mixer' I'm reluctant to waste the oil, having already forked out for the oil and the flaxseed too with no mayo to show for it.

Thankfully this should just be a temporary thing, and I'll soon be able to go back to making mayo with just the yolk.

I'm not an advocator of excluding large amounts of food unless absolutely necessary, but given the improvement in how I feel so far I think this experiment is worth the effort for a week or so just to see if my gut instinct is right  B) 

Archived